• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2015 Rules Finalized For Smash Wii U

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Joey "Mr. Wizard" Cuellar, founding member of the Evo Championship Series, recently tweeted out that "The final rules are up for Smash Wii U!". The ruleset for the tournament has been heavily debated across forums, Twitter, and more, but it seems that this will be the final consensus for the world's largest Smash 4 tournament to date. The rules for the game can be found in the additional rules section of the Evo website.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

There have been some big changes since the beginning of the ruleset, so here are some of the major highlights from the beginning of the ruleset to this finalized version and discussion points to help keep readers informed.
The Stock And Timer

When Mr. Wizard sent out a Tweet asking how Smash 4 players would react to a 2 stock, 4 minute game, many players came out to discuss what should be used. After it seemed settled on that it would be 2 stocks and 5 minutes for Evo, several players still asked for 3 stock 8 minute matches. Mr. Wizard did say he was willing to run 3 stocks "as long as the timer remains the same." As the event drew closer, many expressed concerns that 5 minute matches would be too easily timed out, and that they may make the event go even longer than expected. After much asking, Mr. Wizard changed the rules to allow a 6 minute timer alongside 2 stocks for the Evo 2015 ruleset.

Custom Moves

Originally, players were unsure if customs would be on or off for the event. After the first form of proposed rules were put up, @Amazing Ampharos sent out a Tweet to Mr. Wizard asking if custom moves would be on. After a bit of discussion, he confirmed they could be allowed at Evo 2015. This sparked much controversy since many players weren't sure about having customs on yet, or did not want custom moves legal at all. Despite this, the final ruling will have customs on at Evo 2015, however you will only be able to use one of the 10 preset movesets shown on this Evo spreadsheet as "There will be no loading anything on to the consoles from a Nintendo portable gaming system." These sets where decided by the Custom Moveset Project which consisted of feedback taken in various threads from the character boards on Smashboards with the final options being selected by a panel of players including @Amazing Ampharos, @Thinkaman, @John12346, @NinjaLink, and @TheReflexWonder. The thread for the latest release of the project can be found here.

Mii Legality

When Smashboards had an exclusive interview with Mr. Wizard, he didn't seem to know what to do with Miis at the time saying, "I would have to do more research on Mii's. I dont know enough about that to make a informed decision." After a controversial tweet with Mr. Wizard being "still on the fence about letting Mii's into the tournament as the bring no value", many players were left wondering what the fate of Miis at the tournament would be. However the Evo document discussing which custom movesets will be allowed clearly shows the Miis included as well, so it is assumed that Miis will be legal during the tournament.

The Stagelist

The original stagelist had Battlefield, Final Destination, and Smashville, as starters, with Lylat Cruise, Town & City, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, and Halberd as counterpick stages. As he discussed on Twitter and in more detail with his interview for Smashboards, the decision on which stages could be used partially came down to issues with licensing music. The process for finding which stages could be used was interesting as well. "Without getting into specifics to violate the NDA, we were asked what stages we wanted to use for tournament play, and we gave a modified list of stages (based off of the APEX rules). From that list, we were told what was OK and what wasn't, and then locked it in via the license." He also confirmed during the interview that due to these issues with music, all Omega stages were banned, as well as the ability to use a gentleman's pick to choose a non legal stage. As the ruleset states, "You may not play on a stage that is not on the available stages list. This will result in a double disqualification."

The ruleset did shift slightly before this final set as well, with Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, and Town & City, being starters with Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Duck Hunt, and Halberd as counterpick stages. However for the final list, all of the previously mentioned stages are legal with no starter or counterpick distinctions. Mr Wizard confirmed on Twitter this would mean a Full List Striking System, where all stages were struck from to decide the first stage played on in tournament, something not normally seen in major Smash events but has been getting use in smaller community events.

DLC Legality

For players wondering about the possible legality of Mewtwo at Evo 2015, Mr. Wizard explained how that would down in his Smashboards interview. "If Mewtwo is available to the public at large via DLC without having to own both 3DS and WiiU versions of Smash, then he will be allowed. If its locked only to people that own both, he will be banned. Mewtwo also has to be available within a reasonable time period after release and not a timed exclusive."

---​

With the rules finally locked in for the event, players will be turning from discussing what to do for the event itself, to how to tackle the event under its current ruleset. While some may like this ruleset and others may not, let us remember to be civil with one another so we can come together and show the world what Smash is like at as grand a stages as Evo!

@ LiteralGrill LiteralGrill is always open to discussing rulesets and helping keep folks informed! Follow him on Twitter to discuss or keep track of everything ruleset related in the Smash scene.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
License music? Pfft...

Last edited:

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
Damn this is crazy!!! Everything's finalized at least though! Sounds super hype

Gutei

Smash Cadet
This is definitely the first big experiment for Sm4sh. I hope we see both good and bad things about it so we can continue to refine it over the next few months.

And hopefully not a few more months of arguing. Discussion. God, please no more arguing.

BWG_Zeta

Smash Extrordinaire'
This is definitely the first big experiment for Sm4sh. I hope we see both good and bad things about it so we can continue to refine it over the next few months.

And hopefully not a few more months of arguing. Discussion. God, please no more arguing.
I agree completely. Evo is a testing ground of sorts that will determine how certain tournaments options will and won't work at a big tourney setting. This event will prob set the stage for the next year, and revisions and refinements may follow. Let's just hope to community can stand behind whatever changes may come

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
Not really liking the idea of full stage striking. :/

Other than that, I'm fine with the ruleset. Though it sucks that all the Omega stages are banned due to music issues, but hey I can understand legal issues. Besides we mostly only used a few of the anyway in tournaments.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Customs on has potential to be neat, hopefully that goes well.

FLSS? Awesome, about dang time!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Experimenting and testing new things should never be a bad thing. Unlike items, these things all could be good additions (Not counting stages not being played because of licencing issues >.>)

Can't believe that comment about Miis 'bringing no value' though. :/ Nor that we're still having debates about their legality! Use the default moves with the default Miis that come on the console. No drama, move on.

Jaxas

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaxas7
Experimenting and testing new things should never be a bad thing. Unlike items, these things all could be good additions (Not counting stages not being played because of licencing issues >.>)

Can't believe that comment about Miis 'bringing no value' though. :/ Nor that we're still having debates about their legality! Use the default moves with the default Miis that come on the console. No drama, move on.
The Mii comment is probably because Create-Your-Own-Fighter classes in other games are just reskins of existing fighters, so they add no value except visual flair.

Mii fighters are obviously not like this, but he probably didn't know that until he looked into it more.

Jon_14

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Jon_14
3DS FC
1993-8945-7042
The Mii comment is probably because Create-Your-Own-Fighter classes in other games are just reskins of existing fighters, so they add no value except visual flair.

Mii fighters are obviously not like this, but he probably didn't know that until he looked into it more.
Well, some of the specials are based on existing specials from other characters, but your point still stands. Mii Fighters are different from the usual standard of the Create-Your-Own-Figther class.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
I sincerely hope that we don't see a ton of Villagers at EVO just trying to time everyone out on the ledge, since customs make it much easier to do for Villager. Customs open up a lot of possibilities for more fun and hype, and I for one don't want that to be killed by this certain tactic.

Seeing it once is cringeworthy enough, I dunno if I would make it through EVO if there were a lot of people doing it.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

"No Drama, move on"

Ahhh, if only it was that simple :ohwell:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Sounds good should be interesting, Hope mewtwo gets made allowed, it be good publicly.

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
The fact you can't gentleman's to a nonlegal stage because of music copyright kills me.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Looks like Custom Movesets are here to stay...

I hope we see more diverse character choices due to this.

Last edited:

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
The fact you can't gentleman's to a nonlegal stage because of music copyright kills me.
It seems really silly, the fact that they put all of these songs in the game that they have been working so hard to market, only to basically censor a lot of stages because of music.

(I love when people gentleman's to a non-legal stage, it's hilarious)

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
@Amazing Ampharos I guess the FLSS is your move right ? I'm happy to see it applied to such a major tournament (even though I disagree with the stage list).

Now let's see if as promised every set doesn't start on smashville.

Key_Dream

Smash Rookie
NNID
Key_Dream
I def dont like the customs. Customs were only brought up possibly from new smashers to throw the vets off. Customs in my opinion should not be apart of something that has always been a certain way. Leave the classics CLASSIC!

Omegaphoenix

Smash Apprentice
I def dont like the customs. Customs were only brought up possibly from new smashers to throw the vets off. Customs in my opinion should not be apart of something that has always been a certain way. Leave the classics CLASSIC!
I disagree honestly. The custom moves add a lot of value to some characters, and we'll probably see some crazy stuff thanks to having customs sets

Plus, it'll help out some characters who have sets that are more effective in 1V1 than their defaults. Dorf, for example

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
Hasn't Wes, someone who has been in the game since early Melee, been one of the most vocal supporters of customs in Smash 4?

Manta

Smash Cadet
No Omega stages because of music license issues? Because they apparently have music that the non-Omega stages don't? So Duck Hunt is a perfectly legal counter pick, no music issues, but Omega Duck Hunt has music licensing issues???

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I def dont like the customs. Customs were only brought up possibly from new smashers to throw the vets off.
What Vets? The game hasn't even been out for 6 months yet (unless you count the 3DS version, then it has been out for 6 months from March)

There are no vets. Assuming you meant vets from previous games, then they still had to get used to new characters (woah!) and moveset changes to existing guys (WOAH!)

If they could somehow cope with that, then I think they can manage having fireballs be faster or bigger, ect.

C3CC

Smash Lord
Wait, can someone explain to me what all this "music licensing issues" is about? How can there be any?

Key_Dream

Smash Rookie
NNID
Key_Dream
I disagree honestly. The custom moves add a lot of value to some characters, and we'll probably see some crazy stuff thanks to having customs sets

Plus, it'll help out some characters who have sets that are more effective in 1V1 than their defaults. Dorf, for example

I do see what you mean, but at the same time, i believe we've all started trying to main our characters from the beginning with preset customs. Customs should be implemented with at home friends and offline. :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mewtwo being banned if he's not available to everyone without both versions is pretty lame.
Mewtwo being understood by those who have bought both versions is also pretty lame.

Not to mention from a tournament point of view, they'd need to buy a bunch of copies of the 3DS version to have Mewtwo actually playable on all consoles there on the day. Which is very lame.

Wait, can someone explain to me what all this "music licensing issues" is about? How can there be any?
The companies that own rights to various songs used may only have given the rights to be used in the game and not for use in a broadcast.

Last edited:

Key_Dream

Smash Rookie
NNID
Key_Dream
What Vets? The game hasn't even been out for 6 months yet (unless you count the 3DS version, then it has been out for 6 months from March)

There are no vets. Assuming you meant vets from previous games, then they still had to get used to new characters (woah!) and moveset changes to existing guys (WOAH!)

If they could somehow cope with that, then I think they can manage having fireballs be faster or bigger, ect.

I just think we will see a lot of upsets due to possible Custom CHEESE! I can see why CHANGE would be good but i think the saying: LESS IS MORE! is GOLDEN in this case. My opinion

Manta

Smash Cadet
The companies that own rights to various songs used may only have given the rights to be used in the game and not for use in a broadcast.
But I think all allowed stages are based on Nintendo IP, they own complete right to all the songs.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I just think we will see a lot of upsets due to possible Custom CHEESE!
Someone hasn't played with customs. Cheese? Pfft.

I can see why CHANGE would be good but i think the saying: LESS IS MORE! is GOLDEN in this case. My opinion
Ahh, the return to Fox only, Final Destination. Zzzzz.....

But I think all allowed stages are based on Nintendo IP, they own complete right to all the songs.
Well apparently not, hence the problem.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
I get the gist of the 60 second rule is to prevent coaching (which is why its kinda weird its not in the melee rules as well) but isn't 60 seconds a little short considering you need to ban, cp, and select movesets? Are we sure that would be enough time, even if its not strictly enforced?

Last edited:

N.T.A.O ChangeOfHeart 死の剣

不自然な不道徳な中空デミ神〜
Enjoy that one year only. If this game dares return for Evo 2016 then the people that manage Evo are ultimately morons and Brawl should be in Evo 2016 then. Thanks.

Last edited:
Top Bottom