• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2015 Breaks 1000 Sign Ups For Melee

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

With passes to the main tournament hall for finals at Evo 2015 already sold out after three weeks, Evo itself is looking to be huge this year especially for Melee which the Evo staff has confirmed Melee to already have over 1000 signups breaking last year's grand total of 970 entrants with time to still sign up for the event.

Competitor registration is still open as well so those who are interested should be sure to register to as soon as possible. As stated by the Evo Staff: "All events are still open to anyone–it is only spectator access passes to the main hall on Sunday that are no longer available. New registrations are still able to attend the Sunday finals in the Viewing Hall, with a live, zero delay broadcast of the event, which will include live commentary alongside the matches. The game tournaments, panels, exhibitions, and other special events are also all still available to new registrations. These spots are also going quickly, so we encourage anyone interested in Evo 2015 to sign up as soon as they are able."

With such a huge turnout for Melee this year one of the biggest concerns logistically is having enough setups, especially CRTs to run the event. With Evo 2013 having issues with getting CRTs and having to reach out to the community at large to bring them with Mr. Wizard even threatening to cancel Melee if there were not enough, as well as the difficulties in having them in 2014 to the point Mr. Wizard tested LCD setups for Evo 2014 it will be interesting to see how Mr. Wizard will manage to get enough setups and if the community can help supply for the demand. In a recent Smashboards exclusive interview with Mr. Wizard he had this to say on the subject:

JC: #1 concern is getting enough space to house the event. With the smash community showing no signs of slowing down, space is a real concern. Especially with all those darn CRT's!

SC: The CRT's themselves aren't easy either from personal experience, how are you managing to grab enough of those? Maybe there's some savvy tip a new TO could use!

JC: There is a nice gentleman by the name of Arian, who is SoCal's supplier of CRT's. He was nice enough to supply Evo with CRT's last year and drive them to Vegas. Hopefully we can get him again this year to do the same.
With Nintendo's sponsorship of Evo 2014 having nothing to show in terms of them helping with Melee's setups as well it will be interesting to see if they step in to help with Evo 2015 or if their support will be based on Smash Wii U. While numbers for Smash Wii U have yet to be announced Mr. Wizard did mention in the same exclusive interview that they will be using "the game consoles that APEX used". With no major contingency plans known for getting CRTs and setups for the event at this time it seems a daunting and scary future for an event looking to be the largest Melee tournament ever.

SmashCapps would gladly give bring setups if only he could afford the trip! Be sure to follow him on Twitter to discuss everything related to Smash at Evo 2015.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Huh, evo really does only seem to be marvel and smash as the high points. Every other game seems to generally be noticably lower in numbers.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
20XX approaches.

But, uh, as far as actual posting goes... It's gonna suck if Melee is cancelled due to lack of old TVs. You can't even buy those things in America anymore, outside of very select few antique electronics places. Melee is Melee, though. It's exciting, but there isn't really anything new to see. I'm looking forward to Smash 4 the most, myself.

Last edited:

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Melee's army is mobilizing. 4 had better start fighting back soon.

Can't wait for both Smash games! Melee is breaking even more records and custom moves are on for Smash Wii U opening up so many possibilities!

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Is it me or there are many salty Smash 4 comments above me?

D

Deleted member 245254

Is it me or there are many salty Smash 4 comments above me?
It's definitely you because looking objectively at all previous posts there really isn't anything salty or even Smash 4 specifically related.

Iguana

Smash Cadet
Huh, evo really does only seem to be marvel and smash as the high points. Every other game seems to generally be noticably lower in numbers.
You forgot Street Fighter, which has the highest numbers pretty much every year (last year almost reached 2000) and has already broken 1000 this year just like Melee.

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see the Smash communities are finally coming together. :)
I know a lot of Brawl players are trying Melee and basically all the top tier Brawl / PM / Sm4sh players are also trying Melee.

T0MMY

Smash Master
I wonder why the Smash Wii U numbers weren't released.
Maybe too many people still on the fence about attending due to the Custom Moves announcement?
Whatever the reason I'd like to see how the new game is coming around.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
It's definitely you because looking objectively at all previous posts there really isn't anything salty or even Smash 4 specifically related.
Oh really?

I think saying that Melee and Smash 4 are in a war is a clear evidence that some people hate the fact that Melee is successful.

Last edited:

BobVance_

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FingoDingo
3DS FC
3454-1540-6867
I'm really looking forward to all of the timeouts and campy plays in Smash 4. Please don't disappoint me Dabuz. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Oh really?

I think saying that Melee and Smash 4 are in a war is a clear evidence that some people hate the fact that Melee is successful.
That's because it really shouldn't be anymore. I mean, everything Melee has above 4, PM improves on anyway. There's really no need to cling onto that horrendously unbalanced relic anymore. It's incredibly boring to watch because its metagame stagnated years ago.

Seriously, just play PM.

Last edited:

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Vegas my old stomping grounds, can't wait to get out there, not really going for melee, more to test the waters of Tournament Sm4sh Customs

LipePereira

Smash Cadet
NNID
LipePereira
So there wasn't space for it because of Smash Wii U, or would it have taken too long to run singles and doubles?
Neither, just because Evo is not a smash event, but a fighting game event, and they usually don't even like having two games of the same franchise at the same time so every community has a chance to shine, I would for instance love to see blazblue instead of two smash games, but since I can't decide which one should go, let it be like it is right now.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
That's because it really shouldn't be anymore. I mean, everything Melee has above 4, PM improves on anyway. There's really no need to cling onto that horrendously unbalanced relic anymore. It's incredibly boring to watch because its metagame stagnated years ago.
Sorry buddy but I heavily disagree with your post; while PM is indeed an
amazing mod game it won't be featured at EVO and it wasn't featured in Apex for legal reasons, I know it sucks but that's the way it is and we can't do anything about it. Now calling Melee "horrendously balanced" when almost half of the cast is viable is a very ignorant idea: I bet you didn't watch Apex top 8 because there were 6 different characters up there. Finally saying that the metagame has been stale for years ago is completely false: again let's look back at Apex 2015 where we can clearly see a character that was never in top 8 before (Yoshi) and even the play styles of older characters like Fox are evolving constantly. I heavily encourage you to watch Melee before making this baseless criticisms (:

Btw what does PM have to do with this? It isn't even at EVO lmao.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Oh really?

You are grasping so hard it hurts. No one is salty, and its clear youre just hoping to snag some idiots into a flame war.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
Oh really?

yea rly.

You really just grabbed the one comment that could be interpreted as salt, and I think everyone knows, including you, that that comment was a joke. Just read the comment:
This comment doesn't even imply any salt. If anything, it's trying to bait salt from sm4sh players, which does not sound like salt to me. Seriously, if you're going to try to get yourself banned, just delete your account and save everyone's time.

Seriously, just play PM.
PM isn't a real smash game so it can't be at big events anymore, and it has all kinds of design flaws anyway and doesn't really "improve" on anything other character and stage viability.

Melee's meta isn't stagnant, why are you trying to start arguments too.

Icebeatsfire

Smash Rookie
I'm really excited to see the sm4sh meta-game become unique and different from the rest of the smash games with customs, starting with EVO.

anaglyphix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glyph
3DS FC
3669-0309-2018
20XX approaches.

But, uh, as far as actual posting goes... It's gonna suck if Melee is cancelled due to lack of old TVs. You can't even buy those things in America anymore, outside of very select few antique electronics places. Melee is Melee, though. It's exciting, but there isn't really anything new to see. I'm looking forward to Smash 4 the most, myself.
Ever heard of Goodwill?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905

Seriously, just play PM.
PM can't be shown for legal reasons, though; and Melee's endured this long in the scene, so suddenly removing it from high-level play just because "hey new game" is being as biased as the people who cry about Smash 4 not being "Melee 2.0" and hating it for that alone.

Melee is old, yes, but it would have never lived as long as it has without being considered important. Hell, if it weren't for Melee, Smash 4 would never have been considered for tournament play. Melee is what got Smash to the competetive scene, really, so it has the most significance of the entire franchise in that respect.

Melee is what turned Smash from a casual game into a full, competetively-viable series. Saying it has no relevance is like saying that Super Mario 64 has no relevance because of Super Mario 3D World; the latter would have never existed (in Smash's case, competetively) without the former.
It's because of Melee that we got stuff like Project M, it's because of Melee that competetive Smash is as known as it is. Without Melee being at stuff like MLG, Evo or Apex, do you really think anybody in the fighting scene would bother looking into Smash 4 competetively? Without Melee's ginormous impact, this scene would be far, far less developed than it is.

Age doesn't matter for games; if it did, people should be forgeting that Melee even existed and just stop doing anything in relation to it. But they don't, and that's good. Melee's old, yes; but is age really the deciding factor of kicking a popular game out? If anything, the two scenes are so different that it's actually good to see both Melee and 4 side-by-side.

But if 4 wants to replace Melee, it's going to need to be as impactful as Melee was; and that's a fantasy that's far off. Melee changed the way people looked at Smash, and 4 doesn't.

If what should be used is age-based, than from 2008 to 2014, there should have only been Brawl tournaments, since Melee was so old, so archaic and so irrelevant, eh? No, because Brawl wasn't viable. Smash 4 is just starting to grow, and it's nothing like Melee.

Saying one community needs to die because another is more recent just makes you come off as a massive donkey to the community you say needs to die.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Sorry buddy but I heavily disagree with your post; while PM is indeed an
amazing mod game it won't be featured at EVO and it wasn't featured in Apex for legal reasons, I know it sucks but that's the way it is and we can't do anything about it. Now calling Melee "horrendously balanced" when almost half of the cast is viable is a very ignorant idea: I bet you didn't watch Apex top 8 because there were 6 different characters up there. Finally saying that the metagame has been stale for years ago is completely false: again let's look back at Apex 2015 where we can clearly see a character that was never in top 8 before (Yoshi) and even the play styles of older characters like Fox are evolving constantly. I heavily encourage you to watch Melee before making this baseless criticisms (:

Btw what does PM have to do with this? It isn't even at EVO lmao.
I did watch Melee at EVO 2014, the entire tournament last year, and I nearly fell asleep. Anything unique was drowned out by endless Fox and Marth. Even the player I came for, Amsa, failed to impress with his completely ordinary loss.

Also, "half the cast is viable"? Don't make me laugh. All I ever see are Fox and Marth, Fox and Marth, over and over and over again. Armada's Peach/YL and Hungrybox's Jigglypuff were rare exceptions. Nearly everyone who breaks the "Fox and Marth" rule, like a couple of Samuses, a Dr. Mario, a Captain Falcon, and, of course, Amsa's Yoshi... Guess which characters they all lost to.

Also, I'm utterly sick of those music tracks from the same six stages for over a decade. Not to mention the Star Fox and Fire Emblem victory jingles...

yea rly.

You really just grabbed the one comment that could be interpreted as salt, and I think everyone knows, including you, that that comment was a joke. Just read the comment:

This comment doesn't even imply any salt. If anything, it's trying to bait salt from sm4sh players, which does not sound like salt to me. Seriously, if you're going to try to get yourself banned, just delete your account and save everyone's time.

PM isn't a real smash game so it can't be at big events anymore, and it has all kinds of design flaws anyway and doesn't really "improve" on anything other character and stage viability.

Melee's meta isn't stagnant, why are you trying to start arguments too.
I honestly can't think of any design flaws it has other than its complete and utter mangling of Lucario and the continued presence of L-canceling instead of autocanceling - which is a problem I have with Melee anyway - so I don't know what you're talking about. Unless you count character and stage viability as a "flaw", which I have heard people argue before.

And Nintendo needs to get of their high horse with the copyright thing. Scratch that – modern copyright law as a whole needs to get off its high horse.
PM can't be shown for legal reasons, though; and Melee's endured this long in the scene, so suddenly removing it from high-level play just because "hey new game" is being as biased as the people who cry about Smash 4 not being "Melee 2.0" and hating it for that alone.

Melee is old, yes, but it would have never lived as long as it has without being considered important. Hell, if it weren't for Melee, Smash 4 would never have been considered for tournament play. Melee is what got Smash to the competetive scene, really, so it has the most significance of the entire franchise in that respect.

Melee is what turned Smash from a casual game into a full, competetively-viable series. Saying it has no relevance is like saying that Super Mario 64 has no relevance because of Super Mario 3D World; the latter would have never existed (in Smash's case, competetively) without the former.
It's because of Melee that we got stuff like Project M, it's because of Melee that competetive Smash is as known as it is. Without Melee being at stuff like MLG, Evo or Apex, do you really think anybody in the fighting scene would bother looking into Smash 4 competetively? Without Melee's ginormous impact, this scene would be far, far less developed than it is.

Age doesn't matter for games; if it did, people should be forgeting that Melee even existed and just stop doing anything in relation to it. But they don't, and that's good. Melee's old, yes; but is age really the deciding factor of kicking a popular game out? If anything, the two scenes are so different that it's actually good to see both Melee and 4 side-by-side.

But if 4 wants to replace Melee, it's going to need to be as impactful as Melee was; and that's a fantasy that's far off. Melee changed the way people looked at Smash, and 4 doesn't.

If what should be used is age-based, than from 2008 to 2014, there should have only been Brawl tournaments, since Melee was so old, so archaic and so irrelevant, eh? No, because Brawl wasn't viable. Smash 4 is just starting to grow, and it's nothing like Melee.

Saying one community needs to die because another is more recent just makes you come off as a massive donkey to the community you say needs to die.
The age is another problem I have with Melee - the price barrier. No new players can get into the scene unless they have hundreds of dollars because the disks are that rare now.

Seriously, Mitt Romney is more open to new people coming in than the Melee community.

I could understand it being dominant in the Brawl era, because Brawl was horrible. The current games are decidedly not horrible, so it's not just its recentness that makes me support 4.

I can never forgive them after what they did to Zero at APEX '15.

Last edited:

Icebeatsfire

Smash Rookie

Can I just say, even as a sm4sh player, this is like, the most true and thought out comment I have ever seen on smashboards. This almost made me cry. Why can't more people be like this guy on smashboards.

Top Bottom