• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Evo 2013 Stream Cance--IS BACK

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
It's with a very heavy heart that I must report some bad news. I'm sure you're all aware that Nintendo is tightening it's policies around uses of it's IP by 3rd parties. We have just been informed by their legal department that we do not have permission to stream SSBM. We will, of course, honor both the letter and the intent of their request. All broadcasts of SSBM, both official and unofficial, will be forbidden at Evo 2013. Though I understand everyone is disappointed, please do not setup bootleg SSBM streams on your phones. Doing so would put the entire tournament in jeopardy. Anyone at Evo who broadcasts SSBM will be immediately disqualified from the tournament, their passes will be revoked, and you will be asked to leave the premises. You are, of course, free to take whatever pictures or videos you like for your own personal enjoyment at the event.

Since it cannot be broadcast, we will be moving the SSBM finals to Saturday immediately following the Semi Finals (est: 2:00 PM).

You guys worked very hard to get to Evo, and you should be proud of what you've done for your community and the millions of victims of Breast Cancer around the world. Even though there will be no stream, we think Smash is going to be one of the highlights of Evo this year, and we're proud to have you guys be a part of it!

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Does this extend to the regular offline recording of matches as well?

Dax

Smash Journeyman
wow. I have no words... everyone should harass Nintendo on their twitter, email and stuff. Spread the word as much as possible, please. Even Miiverse or whatever. I hope Smashboards isn't going to let this down, is it? Don't disappoint me... and yes I'm talking about post-EVO too, of course. It's probably too late for them to change idea

Niko_K

Smash Master
We need to seriously bombard Nintendo's legal department with heavy complaint >.< This is absolutely ridiculous.

Charlie G

Smash Journeyman
Well, guess that means I'll be pirating instead of buying every nintendo product in the future. Nice one.

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
Can this really be a benign act? I'm sorry but does Nintendo not consistently make itself as unhelpful as possible to it's most loyal community? This is pathetic.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
why the hell would they do such a thing??? I mean, especially with the new smash bros announced.. it would build hype for that at the very least... ugh I'm just so disappointed. Idk about anyone else, but I can honestly say I'm no longer buying nintendo products. They have officially lost all my respect.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
The ability for Nintendo to be oblivious amazes me time and time again.

swanized

Smash Cadet
Better start bombarding Nintendo with complaints if we want to have any chance of having this broadcast

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
Compile a list of names, claiming they will not purchase the new smash bros or a WiiU in response of this news, and send it to Nintendo. Customers control the corporations, not the other way around.

Jace08

Smash Lord
I love how they wait until 3 days before the tournament to do this

seriously we need to organize and do SOMETHING to get their attention

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand why they would go through so much trouble to stop a comparatively small tournament from happening from (like someone mentioned before) perhaps their most loyal fan base. Why would you want to ruin a community that has stuck by one of your products for 12+ years?

EVH

Smash Cadet
FML. I was debating on the WiiU. Not anymore.

Also, just because you have stuck with a product for 12 years/been loyal doesn't make it special. They couldn't care less how long you play a game after buying it. They made their money already.

BadGuy

Smash Journeyman
The competitive smash community is huge. Spread this news out and get a list started. If list breaches past 10k or even more people, that's a considerable loss in profits. Make them pay attention from how much money they will lose if this continues.

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo's Legal department sent a cease and desist to EVO Tournament Series over the streaming of Smash Bros. Melee. If you want to appeal to Nintendo, please not only tweet them at @NintendoAmerica, but you can use these to email Nintendo as well:
http://www.nintendo.com/corp/prcontact.jsp
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/webform/

It is IMPORTANT that you not resort to insults or negative stuff, instead emphasize that the community exists and our community's efforts to raise $94,685 for Breast Cancer Research. Insults WILL ONLY MAKE THIS WORSE.

^ I have posted this to the Smashboards FB too.

Credit to steven from FB

ZIngaZ

Smash Cadet
Someone needs to post an email or phone number. With enough complaints maybe just MAYBE we could get that **** revoked and have melee streamed at Evo
Edit: Looks like someone beat me to it

soma ghost

Smash Journeyman
It is a tearing feeling to enjoy a game so much and hate it's maker lol

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Can we get a Smash audio only feed going or is that not allowed either?
Not having life video feed for the biggest tournament ever sucks more than words can explain, but I would still be hella hype for a radio show type thing if possible.

lami

Smash Journeyman
Using hashtags and other forms of slacktivism won't do anything. If we want a change, we need to get a petition signed and send it to Nintendo. The anti-region lock petition at least got enough signatures to warrant a reply from Nintendo, even if it wasnt the response we wanted.

Niko_K

Smash Master
I sent an e-mail saying I won't be purchasing a WiiU or SSB4 as a result of this action. You should all do the same.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Wouldn't be the first time this happened sadly. Remember that NOA didn't allow MLG to stream Brawl in 2010? I didn't until someone brought it up to me.

Top Bottom