• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Every VGBootCamp YouTube Video Accidentally Retitled

VGBootCamp's logo. Source.

GimR, the creator and owner of VGBootCamp, one of the oldest and most popular streaming and video-archiving organizations in the Smash community, just posted a video informing his subscribers of a serious mistake made by an employee that could severely affect the future of their YouTube channel.

For those of you unable to watch the video, an unnamed agent hired by GimR to upload VODs apparently selected an option that changed the title of every video in the channel to "SF5 Smash 4 - Serge (Lucario) Vs. Darkfall (Link) SSB4 Tournament - Smash Wii U". As there is no undo button for such action, all six years worth of VODs uploaded by VGBC are now incorrectly named, making them a nightmare to archive and browse.

What's worse, as GimR says in the video, is that YouTube's algorithm is now less likely to recommend said videos, since it no longer counts the views they got before their name changes towards whether or not they're recommended to future viewers.

For now, GimR has gone through the appropriate means for contacting YouTube support in hopes of resolving the issue, but has thus far gotten no response. Only time will tell if there's anything they can do.

For those of you who wish to support VGBC through their troubles, you can subscribe to their Twitch, YouTube and follow them on Twitter.

EDIT: Fortunately, it would seem as if YouTube is helping VGBC re-title their videos, with their most recent content already properly classified. Some of their older VODs, however, haven't gotten the same treatment yet. Hopefully we'll see the channel go completely back to normal soon enough.

Last edited:
Eidolon

Comments

Hate to say the obvious without any word from said person temporary in-charge of uploading but what in the world was he thinking?

Last edited:
D
Man I feel bad for VGBC right now. May the community push us through these dark trials.

My first reaction: is this real?

Edit: Answer- yes. Yes it is. (Yes I did just go check)

Last edited:
I checked and yes, the majority are titled that. This is unfortunate. I like VGBootCamp's videos and considering I keep track with peoples' playstyles, this is bad.

D
From what I heard, the option does give you a warning before you enact on it. So for whatever reason the uploader did not pay attention to what he was doing.
The original question still stands. In what scenario would anyone EVER need to do such a thing?

For those such as VGBC's case where they need to rename a large amount of videos. The alternate, tedious method would be to edit the title of the video one by one. This option, when used properly, helps to save time.

Last edited:
For those such as VGBC's case where they need to rename a large amount of videos. The alternate, tedious method would be to edit the title of the video one by one. This option, when used properly, helps to save time.
I just can't believe this happened today, when I'm busy.
But can be a nightmare if accidentally used, like this case. Not sure if we should blam the guy who did it or YouTube, because I rarely post videos on YouTube so not sure if anyone can "accidentally" used that option.
YouTube has been a bit of a pain recently, we have a couple of Youtubers either got hacked and got their channel deleted by a hacker or even by YouTube. And with out-of-control YouTube sub purge that takes away channels I subbed from my subscription list. YouTube needs to solve this quick, VGBC was the first Smash Bros stream channel I ever subbed, so it's gonna be awful if the channel is dying.
Holy crap, you can't find anything at VGBootcamp now.
You can still find them, but not if you want to find a certain video.
Kind of odd that I typed VGbootcamp on YouTube search bar, and I notice some older videos still have their original title until you click and view the video.

Last edited:
I just can't believe this happened today, when I'm busy.
But can be a nightmare if accidentally used, like this case. Not sure if we should blam the guy who did it or YouTube, because I rarely post videos on YouTube so not sure if anyone can "accidentally" used that option.
YouTube has been a bit of a pain recently, we have a couple of Youtubers either got hacked and got their channel deleted by a hacker or even by YouTube. And with out-of-control YouTube sub purge that takes away channels I subbed from my subscription list. YouTube needs to solve this quick, VGBC was the first Smash Bros stream channel I ever subbed, so it's gonna be awful if the channel is dying.

You can still find them, but not if you want to find a certain video.
Kind of odd that I typed VGbootcamp on YouTube search bar, and I notice some older videos still have their original title until you click and view the video.
They are all Smash 3DS videos. It's depressing.

inb4 Xanadu has a $15 entrance fee.

Seriously though, I hope they can get this sorted out. VGBC is basically carrying the MD/VA scene right now. There are other tournaments but none that have the number of entrants and prestige that Xanadu does.

I don't really keep track of VGBootCamp, but it does suck when you accidentally rename your own videos, and there's no way to undo the changes. I think that whenever you want to save your changes, there should be a message asking if you really want to confirm the save.

I don't really keep track of VGBootCamp, but it does suck when you accidentally rename your own videos, and there's no way to undo the changes. I think that whenever you want to save your changes, there should be a message asking if you really want to confirm the save.
That's the thing... there was. The dude just clicked it.

This is a sudden change of events...
I hope this does not spell the end of our livestreams and videos, because that would only add to the flame. If the Youtube and Twitch stuff dies, I wonder where the Super Smash Brothers Community will go from there.

Youtube's feature of "rename all of your videos" is just like a villain's fortress with a self-destruct button: it's just there to cause disaster.
Although I did laugh at some of the comments on the actual set itself (I'm a terrible person).

Top Bottom