• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event Preview: Venezuela's Triple Crown, The Controller Ep III

Latin American communities are not as notable as those of America or Europe; but Venezuela, a country full of beauties and several struggles, still manages to have great events on the table to keep the community alive. Last year, there were several Smash tournaments that stood out, three of them to be specific. All of them are receiving new editions in the course of the next 2 months, starting with The Controller Ep III.

Taking place on March 13th, it is the start of the tournament season in Venezuela, and it is the only tournament of the "Triple Crown" that is outside of the capital city, Caracas. It will be held in San Antonio de Los Altos, a bit far away from the major core of the community, but still, Venezuela's top 8 players are confirmed to be going.

Beides being far from the big city, the TO, Wilmer "Black" Aviles, hopes that the event will have at least 30 entrants. 30 players may not seem as much, but for a Venezuelan tournament, it's relatively big. Just to give an idea, The Controller's first edition had 29 entrants and the second edition had 31. The event will be Wii U only, unlike the other two editions, which had both Wii U and Melee.

The Start of the Year
There are two notable players who dominate the competitive Wii U scene, VeXx (who you might have seen at Genesis 3) and 8A. This tournament may mark the start of a trend of winning for any of them. Last year they both dominated all big tournaments, with 8A winning the most.

8A's Sonic and VeXx's Marth are feared by all the Venezuelans, but fighting each other several times has generated great matches and become a classic fight at tournaments.

A Third Win?
8A has won both editions of The Controller, but will VeXx be able to win this time? He just might. As mentioned previously, their fights are by far the closest of fights seen at tournaments -- or, the fastest. VeXx has shown that he can beat 8A several times. Last year, he was able to reset the bracket and win the largest tournament in Venezuela (which we'll cover in a few weeks) showing the potential to overcome the Venezuelan Blue Hedgehog.

Road to Astra
The biggest Latin American tournament is happening soon in Colombia, and players with national rankings are set to enter. This tournament will apply to the Venezuelan ranking. Many people want to go to Astra, but only three will make it.

What do you think about this tournament? What are your thoughts on Latin American communities? Are these communities 'big' in your opinion? Let us know! This series is having the other parts released soon and we want to know what readers think!

Author's Note: Many of you knew me as OniKirby. Recently, I changed my SB name and all my other user accounts to "Diosdi", as it is my new nickname.

Mario "Diosdi" Osuna

Comments

Excellent article! It's always nice to see news about my country in places like this.

On a different note, I have to ask the writer...

Why in the WORLD would you choose Diosdi as your username? If it's after the person I'm thinking... Come on. That person is the devil himself and you know it.

Excellent article! It's always nice to see news about my country in places like this.

On a different note, I have to ask the writer...

Why in the WORLD would you choose Diosdi as your username? If it's after the person I'm thinking... Come on. That person is the devil himself and you know it.
It IS after whom you are thinking of... I'm a Kirby player..."Con el mazo dando"...you get the idea. An yes, i know he's the worst person alive...and yes, I'm aware that it is a horrible pun.

Either way. Thanks for liking it; I'll be posting other two articles about Venezuela.

Last edited:
It IS after whom you are thinking of... I'm a Kirby player..."Con el mazo dando"...you get the idea. An yes, i know he's the worst person alive...and yes, I'm aware that it is a horrible pun.

Either way. Thanks for liking it; I'll be posting other two articles about Venezuela.
Oh my God

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You're too clever for your own good, my friend. *slowly claps*

Top Bottom