• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Error Code 160-0103

Sephirothkefka

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sephirothkefka
3DS FC
0344-9296-3509
My advice to anyone is if you want to play Smash, just do so offline. That's what I plan on doing. DO NOT TOUCH FOR GLORY. At all. A lot of the problems seem to be stemming from there (whether that is coincidence or not, is up for speculation) Whether you have digital or physical copies. Just wait until we get an official announcement from Nintendo on all of this.
I guess I could do that. When I first tried that out last Saturday or so, it lagged horribly with Cox Internet via an ASUS 802.11 ac router and a Motorola modem.

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
Can anyone else check whom has this issue if they are able to view their Wii U Data Management at all? I can go as far as the screen to where it shows the Wii U Free Space left, then am affected with error at the next screen after "Preparing".

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
This is really scary. I'll just avoid playing it all together. I played online the other day and it was okay, a bit of lag but nothing huge. I just played like 30 minutes ago and everything worked out fine...I just hope it remains that way next time I play it :'(

I ReZo I

Smash Rookie
I am fortunate enough (so far, *knocks on wood*) to not have received this yet (**Knock on wood again**) So my thoughts go out to any of you that have had this happen to them. Hopefully this will be insightful for some of you.

** WARNING - TO ALL OF YOU WHO HAVE YOUR SAVE DATA BACKED UP AND ARE SENDING IN YOUR WII U (See italicized/bold writing Below) **

Have you backed up your save data on an external device of any sorts and sent in your WiiU for repairs?

Time to get out your pitchforks!

Nintendo restricts ALL Save Data to a single console only.

So if you send in your Wii U and they repair it/Perform a factory reset (Erase your data without backing it up themselves), then your Console ID/Encryption ID will be changed and you will not be able to transfer your save data back to your "Fixed" WiiU that they send you back.

You will lose ALL backed up saved data for EVERY game.

This is 100% Nintendo's fault because they force encrypt everything data wise, and make it only work strictly on your current console.

There have been multiple users on Reddit and other sites as well, who have backed up their save data, verified that it worked before sending in the WiiU, and then had this happen and lose ALL save data.

From all of the posts it seems that some of you believe that this is a Smash Bros U only error.

Whilst, there are a few posts saying that this has happened on past titles and Smash Bros is actually not the cause of the System Error that occurs after you format (The initial error is Smash related, but the secondary one after a factory reset is most definitely not)

In my opinion, this has something to do with Nintendo's ridiculously over-kill security for WiiU, and also making all save data linked to a single console only.

Especially when considering after this error occurs there are plenty of users reporting that they are not able to access data management, I feel that this "error" has something to do with the security in place to prevent users from modifying save files, the encryption method possibly.

Also, with as much over-kill on security as they have put on the WiiU, it wouldn't surprise me if this was in part a mix of different error codes being thrown all at once, due to the encryption method/restricted single console only save files.

It would certainly explain the data management error, as well as the System error that happens after you reformat after receiving the initial error.

TL;DR
Read Italics/Bold Above, and Nintendo's Over-Kill WiiU security in place that locks save data to a single console, on top of other security measures in place to prevent the transferring of save data by their use of extremely strict encryption methods by throwing up a flag and preventing the user from continuing unless all of these extra (un-needed mind you) security measures are in place is likely the cause.

I bet they even went so far as to write the error messages/flag checks to the system data itself, so as to completely stop people from modding/editing save files/transferring them. This would explain the whole system bricking after trying to reformat it with a "flag" already thrown up.

Last edited:

Gligarman

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2509-2114-2708
The Wii-U got a system update a few hours ago. I checked their site but it looks like they were addressing a different error code regarding Mario Kart 8. Is there any chance maybe they fixed this one too?

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
Hello folks,

I do not have this problem (yet, and hope to stay this way) but I am very interested in making some sense from all of this. Are you "infected" people all from the US? It might be a problem related to the latest update file, which usually is region specific and therefore messing up region specific consoles.

Does that make any sense to you? I know this error code came up with other games too but since it is a generic error code, it's probably not the same issue.

The Wii-U got a system update a few hours ago. I checked their site but it looks like they were addressing a different error code regarding Mario Kart 8. Is there any chance maybe they fixed this one too?

I say it's very unlikely.

Last edited:

kingalex123241

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem and I'm from Germany. It appeared to me last night when I was doing some Crazy Orders. And it just have somethig to do with the Smash file, because all my other files (Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, One Piece World Red) can be imported into my Wii U storage. There are no German posts about this topic and so I came here.
I'm using a normal USB-Stick, which worked very good til yesterday.

Sorry for my poor English, but I have to seek in English post for maybe an answer :)

Super Hornio Bros.

Smash Rookie
I have the same problem and I'm from Germany. It appeared to me last night when I was doing some Crazy Orders. And it just have somethig to do with the Smash file, because all my other files (Hyrule Warriors, Pikmin 3, One Piece World Red) can be imported into my Wii U storage. There are no German posts about this topic and so I came here.

Sorry for my poor English, but I have to seek in English post for maybe an answer :)
Bad news for us PAL players then.People on GAF say it looks like Nintendo recently pulled the last update (some people could not finish the download of it). Maybe they realized it was messing up some consoles. If that's the case, makes me think it was that update fault.

Good thing you had it on a pendrive.

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Hello everyone! While I am lucky enough not to get this error code, I did a quick check out of curiosity on the internet on other message boards regarding that error code when people get it playing other games. It seems like when other people get it in other games, the error occurs when they turn off the system when the game is trying to autosave data. I checked and realized that in the main menus in Smash that there are no indicators of when the game is trying to load or save data, minus the loading screens when entering and exiting a match. Possibly, the game could be saving something in the background without the user knowing it, and if the user turns off the system while doing so, it could corrupt the game data.

All this is theoretical and should be taken with a grain of salt, but it would connect some of the points made by other users in this thread on how Smash is causing the issue and how other games work fine.
ah, that could just be it, because so far, I don't get the error code since don't ask why, but for ssb games, I sort of got a weird habit to turn off the console only after getting on tittle screen (I think ssbm manual reccomended that and I do it since then).

So, it really could affects lots of people. Imagine just etting back to the menu which takes like 1 or 2 seconds to load...does it safes anyhing? that is weid you can't know, but maybe getting on tittle screen before turning it off would do it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

Do you have the SSB4 Disk? I'm trying to see if Digital has this problem.

Cha Cha San

Smash Cadet
I have not played for glory in like a week. Disc version. No problems here. I was playing yesterday too.

I always power off while on menu's or sometimes title screen.

No errors or anything but I'm just grinding trophy rush for custom moves atm.

It's probably perfectly safe to play if you don't play for glory.

Last edited:

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
I wonder how many people are being affected. My regional facebook group just posted this article;

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/new-sm...or-can-leave-the-game-unplayable#.VH00nzHF9x5

I then immediately closed the software and took out my disc.

Surprised this has't gotten more responses or been stickied.
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=943447

I am trying to get the word out to prevent the issue from spreading. Im sorry this happened to people alreay it really sucks alot and i hope you guys get compensation.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
How are you sure about that?

Ever since I heard about the error code today, I couldn't play Smash Bros for Wii U today cause I wanted to avoid those error codes and a bricked Wii U at all costs.
I only went online once in a For Fun battle which lagged horribly, and that's all I did with Online mode. For the most part I didn't have my internet hotspot running on my laptop when playing Smash Bros for Wii U.

Guess the safest thing to do now is to wait for Nintendo to get their hands on this and try and fix it up I suppose.
They patched the turnip ban bug within a week, make an educated guess in what kind of panic mode they are right now.
I for one will just continue playing and quit smash from the title screen before turning off the console.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have not encountered this problem on my end, as I haven't even touched Online mode, and I always close my software and return to the Wii U main menu before turning off the Wii U (this is strongly recommended to avoid any data corruption).

However, the randomness of this error doesn't make me feel good.

D

Deleted member

I just got informed by @Liberation about this problem on Skype. He mentioned that three of his friends have had Super Smash Bros. Wii U corrupted. Two of his friends had just updated their Wii U and their Smash games are corrupted but with no error code. The other had been playing For Glory and received the error code mentioned here before updating his Wii U. @Liberation If there's anything I'm missing/got incorrect or can add to this, please do so.

I'm still not entirely sure what is going on here. Some say that it's a general problem with the Wii U but others have stated it's specifically a Smash-related problem. Whatever the case is, it's a ****ty thing to wake up to in the morning and I really hope a solution is found soon.

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
I don't even have the game yet, so just to be clear, all I need to do is avoid For Glory mode?

KEWB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KEWB99
3DS FC
4511-0666-0442
Found out about this last night. I had been playing FG, but haven't had this issue yet. As much as I want to play, I think I'm going to play it safe and wait it out for a few days and see if any more info regarding this problem comes up. I still have the 3DS version to go back to I suppose, as well as Mario Kart 8..........that item system though uggggghh

So is it safe to go ahead and consider 2014 the year of the broken AAA games?

Last edited:

Kikkipoptart12

Smash Champion
NNID
Kikkipop 12
3DS FC
0104-0018-0045
I guessing everyone have to play offline for now until they fix the problem and I hope they fix it soon and many of the other bugs as well.

ScotteyF1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scotty91
3DS FC
1676-4972-3420
Guys, what is your advice to people who have not (at least yet) experienced this problem? Avoid smash completely until the patch or just avoid online?

Thanks in Advance.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Guys, what is your advice to people who have not (at least yet) experienced this problem? Avoid smash completely until the patch or just avoid online?
Avoid Smash imo, so not worth the risk, and I'm guessing Nintendo will get on this ASAP

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
This is really scary. I am only now finding out about this thread after having played hours of For Glory yesterday.

For what it's worth, I have not experienced the problem yet, and I have the digital version of the game.

D

Deleted member

I don't even have the game yet, so just to be clear, all I need to do is avoid For Glory mode?
I've heard of someone that got it while playing Master Orders, so some people get it regardless of whenever or not they access For Glory Mode.

If you're concerned about your game potentially corrupting due to this information, I'd suggest waiting it out at least a week. That's what I intend on doing, at least until a solution is found as I don't want to risk getting my console bricked.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
To people having the problem: have any of you rage quit online matches or powered down in the middle of online play?

LordWilliam1234

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
7820-3654-7995
Been playing a lot of Smash U as of late and haven't encountered any issues thankfully. Haven't touched For Glory, though I have been playing a lot of matches with friends online. I have the physical copy.

One thing I did notice though is that the other night I checked my download management and it had a download failed for a system update. Not sure if that's related to anything going on currently though. My current Wii U version is 5.3.0.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've heard of someone that got it while playing Master Orders, so some people get it regardless of whenever or not they access For Glory Mode.

If you're concerned about your game potentially corrupting due to this information, I'd suggest waiting it out at least a week. That's what I intend on doing, at least until a solution is found as I don't want to risk getting my console bricked.
So I'm probably guessing that you could still get the error, even if you're taking all the safety protocols. I guess that I'll have to hold off on playing Smash Wii U any further until further notice.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Hot damn, this is scary. Every day since the game's out i've been playing For Glory for at least a few hours at a time. I haven't gotten an error yet, and i hope i don't. I have the disk but now i'm afraid to take it out of my Wii U, as the OP said there's an error code just for putting the disk in. I hope Nintendo fixes this ASAP- it could crush them for the holidays.

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
This is really scary. I am only now finding out about this thread after having played hours of For Glory yesterday.

For what it's worth, I have not experienced the problem yet, and I have the digital version of the game.
From what I've seen and read throughout the internet, it seems that this problem exists with physical copies only (don't take my word as fact though, it's just an observation) Every problem I've seen from this, the person has had a physical copy. I have yet to see one person with digital copy say they've been hit by the error.

But regardless, if you really want to play smash, and the 3ds won't do it for you here's a couple things that can help prevent the error:

• I said don't play For Glory earlier, but now, lemme change that to avoid online all together. That's where a large amount of the error codes seem to be popping up from
  • I guess avoid Master/Crazy orders as well, because someone got the error from that too.
  • When you are finished, be sure to back out to the title screen, and then close the software. Once you've gotten back to the Wii U menu, then you can safely turn off the console
Obviously, my word isn't fact. But from what I've read about this, these precautions might save you from sending in your Wii U. And I would be extra careful, regardless of what version of the game you have. Physical or digital.

Last edited:

Hartenberg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hartenberg
3DS FC
1220-8573-2488
I disconnected my Wii U from the Internet entirely. @ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy thanks for the advice, now I'll also close software and go to the wii u menu before powering down the console as well.
That's actually a really good idea. I'll do that as well next time I get on.

Can't believe I didn't think of that. lol.

Last edited:

JonTVcentral

Smash Rookie
To people having the problem: have any of you rage quit online matches or powered down in the middle of online play?
I, for one, had played in For Glory mode last before I started recieving the error when I next looked 3 days later. However, I never once powered down or lost connection in the middle of online play. It appears that online is not even be the central issue of cause now, as reports of crazy orders and playing offline are also creating the errors.

TheLuzzyBuzz

Smash Rookie
Guys ,i'm not sure about this but i can't prove at all, but what if the in-game screenshot are what is causing the troubleshoot? According to someone who replied to this tread, Nintendo makes save data but only readable by the wii-u who is making the save data so is the same case for the screenshot?. The problem would be explained because according to everyone assumption after the formatting of a console the game have problems "reading a file" . This is maybe the screenshots because the sd during the formatting the data inside those are not erased! So the game reading the sd have problem reading the screenshot, and maybe cause the error. Though it's just an assumption.

Virgule

Smash Cadet
NNID
virgule222
Guys ,i'm not sure about this but i can't prove at all, but what if the in-game screenshot are what is causing the troubleshoot? According to someone who replied to this tread, Nintendo makes save data but only readable by the wii-u who is making the save data so is the same case for the screenshot?. The problem would be explained because according to everyone assumption after the formatting of a console the game have problems "reading a file" . This is maybe the screenshots because the sd during the formatting the data inside those are not erased! So the game reading the sd have problem reading the screenshot, and maybe cause the error. Though it's just an assumption.
Funny enough when i verified if i had the error, the console detected the lack of SD card in my Wii U and asked if i would start the game without one(exactly like the first day i got the game), so no screenshots. I never used an sd card with my wii u nor any external devices. I really didn't think it is related so i didn't say anything but if your assumption is correct then we may have find a clue/the problem.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Funny enough when i verified if i had the error, the console detected the lack of SD card in my Wii U and asked if i would start the game without one(exactly like the first day i got the game), so no screenshots. I never used an sd card with my wii u nor any external devices. I really didn't think it is related so i didn't say anything but if your assumption is correct then we may have find a clue/the problem.
For what it's worth, I've been playing For Glory for hours upon hours and i have an sd card in my Wii U and didn't get the message.

KirbySS44

Smash Cadet
Could this problem happen in For Fun mode? (my copy of smash is working fine) Its the only online mode I play.

Top Bottom