• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Slippy Toad for Smash DLC: (Star Fox Zero Hype and Slippy's Getting A Bigger Role!)

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Imagine if certain characters interact with each other when you do team battle. Slippy and Fox on teams together and when Slippy gets more than 30% ratio he starts flipping out.

You wanna piece of me?!

*gets chain grabbed*

Fox! Get this guy off me!

*Still getting chain grabbed*

AAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Reznor

work in progress
if we get a 4th Starfox rep it should be slippy and he would be so fun imagine beating people with slippy and watching them rage :awesome:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
if we get a 4th Starfox rep it should be slippy and he would be so fun imagine beating people with slippy and watching them rage :awesome:
If Slippy gets in over Krystal, I want to see the butthurt. :troll:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I've never really liked the artist that made all those character trophy pictures, very few of them I liked. I still prefer SF 64 3D's recent look of Slippy over anything else.

But Assault's is good too, anything is better then his Command look.

For some reason I can't edit the OP. The move set was doubled but the copy doesn't show in the spoiler and I wanted to get rid of it.:l

Reznor

work in progress
so we're allowed to post slippy pics that got nothing to do with smash4 heck ya

vegeta slippy.jpg

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Shameless bump. So it has been a great week for the Rosalina supporters. I didn't expect her to be playable in smash in favor of the other choices but she turned out to be very interesting Puppeteer fighter from what everyone has seen so far. Which brings me to what I'd like to discuss with Slippy. I've been reading up ManlySpirit's Character Archetypes in Smash Bros. thread last night (link at the bottom) and realized since we have characters like Link, Samus, and Toon Link that fit in the Zoning/Sniper category in fighters would you guys want to see Slippy fall into that category as well or the Dynamic: Ammo User archetype? It would certainly not make the green toad a clone or semi clone if he took inspiration towards the following playstyles. I would prefer the Ammo user play style since he would carry guns and genades on him. His Supplies Down B move would refresh his weapons again, minus the blaster.

Besides the expose that Nintendo's been giving Rosalina and Smash being a glorified add to promote games like SM3D World with Rosalina, Sakurai saw something interesting with her, a Mario character who's chances weren't as high as other characters, and made her play style a fun to try out. The same can happen to Slippy since he has several things going for him except the huge popularity that Krystal has, but Slippy doesn't really need to partake in a popularity contest to be a contender for smash 4.

Here's the link to Manly's thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/character-archetypes-in-smash-bros.331574/

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
If anything, I'd think that Rosalina's inclusion would bode greater for Krystal, being that she's an example of a fan-favorite female character who was chosen over more important but less popular characters from her series. To me, Krystal comes off as the Rosalina to Slippy's Waluigi/Toad/Bowser Jr. Of course, the prominent and imperative difference between Rosalina and Krystal is that Rosalina is being used to promote a recent game, while we haven't seen Krystal in anything in years.

Anyway, as for Slippy himself, I'd be fine with an ammo type of playstyle, so long as his firearms are obviously nothing too realistic, which definitely shouldn't be hard to avoid if they stick to the source material. I'd also suggest a possible stance-changing playstyle, whereby his moveset is altered by whatever weapon he has equipped. A long-range weapon, mid-range weapon, and short-range weapon would make for a good trio of stances allowing for an easy-to-use, but difficult to master playstyle that offers enough difference between stances that the changes wouldn't feel just like a gimmick.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
As long as he doesn't have a Landmaster I'm for him LOL!
I can see him playing like how Ratchet does from (Brace your eyes i'm going to type it) ...PASBR.
By that I mean, I picture him fighting with the gadgets he may have been tinkering with, being the mechanic as he is.

Maybe he can have a support drone that fires at near by opponents. The Drone lifespan would be both timer and HP based. So if the drone's timer is up or if it takes too much damage it will explode for added damage... or simply disappear if that sounds too broken.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I can see him playing like how Ratchet does from (Brace your eyes i'm going to type it) ...PASBR.
By that I mean, I picture him fighting with the gadgets he has been tinkering with.

Maybe he can have a support drone that fires at near by opponents. The Drone lifespan would be both timer and HP based. So if the drone's timer is up or if it takes too much damage it will explode for added damage... or simply disappear if that sounds too broken.
The support drone idea kind of reminds me of a special that Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) could have. By setting up mini gun towers to shoot at your opponents at a far distance or close range. But except a timer you could just attack them until they're destroyed. I don't think there were any support drones in the Star Fox games as far as I can remember, and it may seem a little out of place with the rest of his move set, or what could be his move set. Then again it's not like original moves for characters hasn't been done before.

Unless they looked like tiny arwings floating by him....that would would be freaking awesome to see! Peppy for Smash 4 with tiny arwing drones doing barrel rolls,somersaults, and the boost for possibly a spacing tool? We just might be onto something here.:awesome:

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
Definitely a supporter. I'd much rather see Slippy in Smash before Krystal. Nothing against the latter, I just think Slippy is more (dare I say it...) deserving given his current appearances in the StarFox series. Not to mention his relationship to Fox being on more positive grounds than Falco's, heh.

Manny Toons

Smash Journeyman
This, anything but another blue furry. :smirk:

Very unfair argument. A character being labelled as having no chance of being included Smash Bros. by speculators purely due to their fan-base is kinda ridiculous. But if yer just joking, then forget I ever typed anything. :p

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Very unfair argument. A character being labelled as having no chance of being included Smash Bros. by speculators purely due to their fan-base is kinda ridiculous. But if yer just joking, then forget I ever typed anything. :p
It's pretty much what Krystal and Slippy have in common. But Krystal's fan base is a lot more vocal and bigger compared to Slippy. And her appearance is arguably more likable than Slippy's due to being the b-beautiful fox, the only playable female and love interest of the main character of the series. Also white knights keep her strong.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
The support drone idea kind of reminds me of a special that Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) could have. By setting up mini gun towers to shoot at your opponents at a far distance or close range. But except a timer you could just attack them until they're destroyed. I don't think there were any support drones in the Star Fox games as far as I can remember, and it may seem a little out of place with the rest of his move set, or what could be his move set. Then again it's not like original moves for characters hasn't been done before.

Unless they looked like tiny arwings floating by him....that would would be freaking awesome to see! Peppy for Smash 4 with tiny arwing drones doing barrel rolls,somersaults, and the boost for possibly a spacing tool? We just might be onto something here.:awesome:
That's my reasoning to allow such a moveset, because I don't think Fox ever did Firefox or Fox illusion in the Starfox games either; i see no reason why Sakurai couldn't take creative license again for Slippy.
idk it was just a thought

pitthekit

Smash Ace
Slippy was always my character choice in Star Fox 64.

I made him hop instead of walking 'cause he's a frog

I wish more people had this point of view.

You can't use a character for an argument unless they are a confirmed character. Even if they are a popular choice, they aren't IN the game
paletena was in smash..... as a model for a cutscene in the sse in brawl....... so they are kinda right :troll:

RyanR

Smash Apprentice
I know a lot of people hate slippy, but to be honest when I first played star fox 64 I hated falco way more then I hated slippy.

I think him and peppy would both be great additions to the game! :)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I know a lot of people hate slippy, but to be honest when I first played star fox 64 I hated falco way more then I hated slippy.

I think him and peppy would both be great additions to the game! :)

I can see why, Falco is meant to be the douchebag of the group that always leave the team when he's bored. Slippy's also my favorite character since me and him are alike.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Apologies for the necro-bump, but today's Project M turbo video raises some...perplexing questions for Slippy fans, if any of us are still alive. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the hopeful but admittedly shaky possibility of Slippy becoming playable in Project M? I'd be interested in seeing what anyone else thinks, mostly in regard to moveset possibilities through the mod's Clone Engine. In the video, Slippy had unique idle, walking, running, and falling animations, at least, I believe, but otherwise, he was a straight skin of Fox.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I like the whole StarFox cast. They all have personality and are just cool. From Falco, to Krystal, to Peppy, to Pigma, I like them all, including Slippy. What Slippy has going for him, is Sakurai's love for 64. He doesn't have more move set potential, or more fans than Krystal, but he does have that. When all is said and done though, I think the eventual SFWii U is going to release a few years too late to matter in Smash, and on their own I think neither Krystal, or Slippy are going to make it in. They have too much competition for too little spots. Maybe if we lost Falco/Wolf, or the roster ends up being much bigger than we expect, they could pop up. But at the moment, I think Star Fox, Mother, and F - Zero characters all are in the same boat. A bit dated, even despite popularity/uniqueness.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
By that I mean, I picture him fighting with the gadgets he may have been tinkering with, being the mechanic as he is.

What's wrong with PSABR?

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
To me personally? Nothing. I just know most people groan whenever PSABR is mentioned.
I enjoyed it thoroughly and I still have it, which is rare for PS3 games. I think people were disappointed that it wasn't a Smash clone, even though they would've been disappointed otherwise.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I enjoyed it thoroughly and I still have it, which is rare for PS3 games. I think people were disappointed that it wasn't a Smash clone, even though they would've been disappointed otherwise.
It's a good game, I think the super meter approach stagnates the game's depth, because characters with nice level 1 specials tends to dominate. But I liked what they tried to do.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Anyway, Slippy. I support, but I think Leon would be better, personally.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As someone who followed the game before pre-release and for about a year post-release, this always amused me. As soon as the game was announced, 90% of the buzz about it had to do with people complaining it would just be an uncreative, cheap Smash knock-off instead of a fun and original fighting game. Then, as soon as the game released, it flopped (partly because everyone expected a cheap Smash clone and didn't give it a chance), and 90% of the complaints about the game became "It's not enough like Smash. It should've just copied the same exact formula and it would've been better." The game just had a negative stigma attached to it as soon as it was announced, and people were never going to be happy with it, no matter what direction it was taken in (not that I'm disagreeing that it has a large amount of faults). I think it highlights some of the extreme negativity that can be brought about by brand loyalty and bias. But that's a discussion for another thread.

On the subject of Smash, though, months ago, I suggested a stance-based playstyle for Slippy using various weapons. We can easily compare this to Emmett Graves' playstyle in PSASBR. He has, in my opinion, one of the more fun and interesting movesets in the game. He's slow and clunky with poor melee options, and has a heavy focus on camping and using personally-spawned infrastructure to protect him while he switches weapons and fires from afar. I can see a playstyle similar to that fitting Slippy like a glove.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
As someone who followed the game before pre-release and for about a year post-release, this always amused me. As soon as the game was announced, 90% of the buzz about it had to do with people complaining it would just be an uncreative, cheap Smash knock-off instead of a fun and original fighting game. Then, as soon as the game released, it flopped (partly because everyone expected a cheap Smash clone and didn't give it a chance), and 90% of the complaints about the game became "It's not enough like Smash. It should've just copied the same exact formula and it would've been better." The game just had a negative stigma attached to it as soon as it was announced, and people were never going to be happy with it, no matter what direction it was taken in (not that I'm disagreeing that it has a large amount of faults). I think it highlights some of the extreme negativity that can be brought about by brand loyalty and bias. But that's a discussion for another thread.

On the subject of Smash, though, months ago, I suggested a stance-based playstyle for Slippy using various weapons. We can easily compare this to Emmett Graves' playstyle in PSASBR. He has, in my opinion, one of the more fun and interesting movesets in the game. He's slow and clunky with poor melee options, and has a heavy focus on camping and using personally-spawned infrastructure to protect him while he switches weapons and fires from afar. I can see a playstyle similar to that fitting Slippy like a glove.
That style would really fit Slippy, and maybe add a mix of Ratchet and he'd be all right.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Apologies for the necro-bump, but today's Project M turbo video raises some...perplexing questions for Slippy fans, if any of us are still alive. Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the hopeful but admittedly shaky possibility of Slippy becoming playable in Project M? I'd be interested in seeing what anyone else thinks, mostly in regard to moveset possibilities through the mod's Clone Engine. In the video, Slippy had unique idle, walking, running, and falling animations, at least, I believe, but otherwise, he was a straight skin of Fox.
I get the feeling that the PM team doesn't take Slippy seriously. I did see their april fools video and thought it was funny, but then you realize all that effort they put into with his aminations and his model was just meant for a joke. And unfortunately that's how most people will continue to see this character.

I think it would be a wonderful idea for not just Slippy, but other Starfox characters becoming playable in PM thanks to the clone engine.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Just imagine the butthurt when he's confirmed. I'd main him all day online. :troll:

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Thank you based Miyamoto for bringing back Starfox from the Command Tragedy ™! My only concern is will this be a reboot or not? Discuss what you would like in the new Starfox or what will make the series decent again.

Top Bottom