• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Enemy Of The Federation - Sylux For SSB4 DLC! Discussion moved to social group.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I took the time to think of a :4palutena: Guidance for Sylux.

Pit: That guy sorta resembles Samus.

Palutena: That would be Sylux. It's a bounty hunter.

Pit: It? We don't even know it's gender? Is this Gaol all over again?

Palutena: Not a gender or even a species. Only it.

Pit: I'll assume it's a human.

Palutena: Regardless, don't assume it fights like Samus because of the similar armor. Sylux has many weapons at it's disposal. Even more than you do right now.

Pit: Can't be too hard! I'll send this bounty hunter hunting for someone else!

If someone could think of something wittier, that'd be nice.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A I was going to ask in the Lucina General thread which character you were supporting for DLC, but then I looked in your sig.

Personally, I would LOVE more Metroid representation. Sadly, this character came from one of the only 2 Metroid games I haven't played. D:

Still, I guess I'd support him for DLC. :)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A I was going to ask in the Lucina General thread which character you were supporting for DLC, but then I looked in your sig.

Personally, I would LOVE more Metroid representation. Sadly, this character came from one of the only 2 Metroid games I haven't played. D:

Still, I guess I'd support him for DLC. :)
Well, the Corruption cameo is still debatable...it's not like we've been given extra info to support that theory since the series has been on hiatus since Other M. Hopefully the next Metroid, if it follows Corruption, will explain that and give this Hunter a second chance to shine.

And like I said in the first post, literally every other good choice bar Rundas has another role and Sakurai won't resize Ridley at all, and the other Hunters don't match Sylux's popularity. That's why Sylux is a good choice.

Nice to see more support. :cheep:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'll give it a go~

:4pit: Uhh, Lady Palutena? Who's this weird-looking space...thing?

:4palutena: That's Sylux, an enigmatic bounty hunter with a violent past. Nobody knows its true identity or its motivation, save that it harbours a grudge against the Galactic Federation, and Samus Aran in particular.

:4pit: Ohh. So he's a bad guy?

:4palutena: It's difficult to say. And we don't know if Sylux is a "he" either.

:4pit: Well, whatever it is, it's giving me the creeps. I feel like it's looking at me all funny.

:4palutena: Just watch out for those weapons, Pit. Sylux has amassed enough armaments from across the galaxy to really put the hurt on you.

:4pit: No problem! I've got some weapons of my own!

:4palutena: Oh, and did I mention the weaponised starship that can blow up entire planets? I'm preeeetty suuuure I mentioned that.

:4pit: ...This is gonna hurt...

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'll give it a go~

:4pit: Uhh, Lady Palutena? Who's this weird-looking space...thing?

:4palutena: That's Sylux, an enigmatic bounty hunter with a violent past. Nobody knows its true identity or its motivation, save that it harbours a grudge against the Galactic Federation, and Samus Aran in particular.

:4pit: Ohh. So he's a bad guy?

:4palutena: It's difficult to say. And we don't know if Sylux is a "he" either.

:4pit: Well, whatever it is, it's giving me the creeps. I feel like it's looking at me all funny.

:4palutena: Just watch out for those weapons, Pit. Sylux has amassed enough armaments from across the galaxy to really put the hurt on you.

:4pit: No problem! I've got some weapons of my own!

:4palutena: Oh, and did I mention the weaponised starship that can blow up entire planets? I'm preeeetty suuuure I mentioned that.

:4pit: ...This is gonna hurt...
Even not knowing what the Delano 7 carries I'm almost sure that was either a very subtle reference to the Omega Cannon or one of Palutena's sadistic jokes. :p

Regardless, me like.

so i (finally) got around to reading the OP. Might as well put me down. any metroid non Other M metroid representation is is good representation I guess.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Concept.png

To deliver an update after so much inactivity; a rough concept of a Final Smash using the Omega Cannon. The image I had in my head was Sylux standing atop the Delano 7 and shooting foes. This doubles as a few things: A reference to the Hunters storyline with use of the Omega Cannon, multiplayer with the HUD, and a pseudo reference/throwback to Snake's Grenade Launcher Final Smash in Brawl. How powerful the blast radius would be is still up for debate, as #canonically, the Omega Canon has a wide enough blast radius to obliterate anything standing on Pyrosphere...which is actually the multiplayer version of the Cannon. In single player, vs Gorea, the projectile travels faster and has a smaller radius.

Just concepts.

Also updating the OP with the Guidances and the other tidbits I've found.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
Well I totally support this. Add me to the list, please!

I would totally use Sylux. I love Samus most of all, but if there is one newcomer I would totally pick up, it would be Sylux.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I was looking for stuff and I found these pretty cool images of Sylux:

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
I was looking for stuff and I found these pretty cool images of Sylux:

If it wasn't for this Bump of a post I would have never found this thread. Surprise, Surprise @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A is the Thread Owner, a little late but add me to the list anyway.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
If it wasn't for this Bump of a post I would have never found this thread. Surprise, Surprise @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A is the Thread Owner, a little late but add me to the list anyway.
^u^ Oh, glad to hear that! :) Even if I'm not a supporter at all...I wouldn't mind to contribute with stuff I could find that is related to Sylux...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I was wondering how my alert box got ravaged this night.

and you didn't find it even with a blaring link in my sig

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815

Another Final Smash concept. Think Pit's Final Smash from Brawl, Palutena's Army, change the multiple Centurions to a single ship and you have a good contender for Sylux's Final Smash. Of course, it would have to be upgraded from the peashooter it was in Hunters to do some serious damage...

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
select.png

Huh. I actually forgot to upload this thing back when I made it. Almost looks real apart from the text and slight errors.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Well, I can't see Sylux getting in as a playable character, but with such a character with such a backstory and hatred for the Federation and Samus, as well as for the sake of adding another Metroid character, count me in! Put me on the list!

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Could you try and flip the Sylux image in that score thing? It might look better when you use the open space next to its head for the % counter and don't have it covering up part their head.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
What if Sylux's gender is deliberately ambiguous because Sylux, too, is a woman?

Would be simultaneously ridiculous and exciting. :3

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
What if Sylux's gender is deliberately ambiguous because Sylux, too, is a woman?

Would be simultaneously ridiculous and exciting. :3
This is not a new theory. The verbiage has been surprisingly similar to that regarding Samus in the first Metroid.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Could you try and flip the Sylux image in that score thing? It might look better when you use the open space next to its head for the % counter and don't have it covering up part their head.
redux.png

It's not as drastic as the other one, but the head covering thing is still there...I tried.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Well I meant mirror it so it faces the other direction, putting the empty space in perfect position for the damage, though I don't know if that'd be necessary anyway or a big deal. Heck, it might even look worse, just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well I meant mirror it so it faces the other direction, putting the empty space in perfect position for the damage, though I don't know if that'd be necessary anyway or a big deal. Heck, it might even look worse, just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.
redux.png

Quite ironically, that little curve on Sylux's back curved perfectly with the zero.

WooMooWooWooMoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Quattro_Thunder
3DS FC
1934-0666-8269
I want Sylux as dlc, but I know that won't happen. I guess my straw grasp theory for him would be Prime 4 promotional dlc. But I'm not getting my hopes up, like, at all.

Braydon

Smash Ace
Personally I don't see sylux as the best choice. Story isn't really important, look at duck hunt he works fine. I think trace's alt form would make for better moves, plus he could have an interesting hit and run strategy with the dash and the imperialist from long range and the cloak worked into some sort of teleport move.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Personally I don't see sylux as the best choice. Story isn't really important, look at duck hunt he works fine. I think trace's alt form would make for better moves, plus he could have an interesting hit and run strategy with the dash and the imperialist from long range and the cloak worked into some sort of teleport move.
While your opinion is respected, there are some things I want to point out here:

-Story can help a character. If you compare Sylux(explicitly hates the GF and Samus Aran, steals tech from them) to Trace(spider thing from an expanding empire), it's clear that one character has more material to work with than the other. Michael Kelbaugh, CEO of Retro, has explicitly mentioned Hunters as a game whose characters can be expanded upon should Retro make a new Metroid. Sylux and Weavel have the most expandable backstories, too, making them a reasonable choice for promotion, though I haven't seen a Weavel support thread.

-As mentioned in the OP, Sylux's competition Metroid-wise is null. Dark Samus is an AT, Ridley a hazard, Rundas would be uninteresting(and I like Rundas too), who the hell likes Anthony "REMEMBAH ME" Higgs enough to consider, and Sylux stands atop the other four Hunters with popularity, workability and backstory.

-R.O.B and Game & Watch don't have a story either, going by the Duck Hunt comment. I don't see the point of this comment, honestly.

-Sylux is easily the most popular of the five Hunters. If you look at the DLC character poll by @True Blue Warrior (which can be found in the Wii U/3DS Character Discussion subforum) only Sylux and Weavel are listed, a testament to their popularity amongst Metroid one shots. Sylux himself got 109-ish votes on the first version, too.

-Trace's Triskelion, while a cool alt form, is harder to implement. Remember that Sylux's armor has similarities to Samus. The nodes laid down by the Lockjaw are similar to the Morph Ball Bombs, if different in function. The designers have a template to work from Samus herself, despite Sylux having enough material to not even consider it being a clone.

If you'd like to make a Trace support thread, by all means do so. There are supporters who want Weavel or Kanden here, but that see Sylux as the better choice/agree because a thread was made.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
My fault for not checking back on Brawl in some time, but...

Only one of the Hunter trophies to be referred to as "it". Even Smash acknowledges it.

Last edited:

jaketheknight

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jaketheknight
3DS FC
4854-6438-8016
Can I be added to the list? Metroid needs more reps, and I'd happily play as Sylux!

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Kirby.png

When/if Kirby copies Sylux, Sylux's head would pretty much cover Kirby's entire head a la Samus. Other than that, it'd be amusing to see Kirby shooting constant lightning from his hand(assuming Shock Coil were the neutral special) as if he were Palpatine.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
splash card(ENG).jpg
splash card(***).jpg

The English one you'll be seeing in the OP from now on. The Japanese name for Sylux is also in the initial paragraph, for those curious, and it's what drove me to make the Japanese version of the splash card.

Any other suggestions on what could be added for the thread, supporters? I'm kind of dry on ideas...

Last edited:

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I took the time to think of a :4palutena: Guidance for Sylux.

Pit: That guy sorta resembles Samus.

Palutena: That would be Sylux. It's a bounty hunter.

Pit: It? We don't even know it's gender? Is this Gaol all over again?

Palutena: Not a gender or even a species. Only it.

Pit: I'll assume it's a human.

Palutena: Regardless, don't assume it fights like Samus because of the similar armor. Sylux has many weapons at it's disposal. Even more than you do right now.

Pit: Can't be too hard! I'll send this bounty hunter hunting for someone else!

If someone could think of something wittier, that'd be nice.
I really like this. I actually have one of my own:

Pit: Who's this guy? He has an eerie feel about him...

Palutena: That's Sylux. Not much is known about it other than it's a dangerous bounty hunter.

Pit: Another one?

Palutena (delighted look): Yes. you should be used to seeing bounty hunters by now.

Pit: Oh yeah, I always seem to run into them. Does this one have strong kicks or lasers?

Palutena: Not quite. Sylux's weapon of choice is the Shock Coil, an electric attack which takes your health while restoring its own.

Pit: No biggie, I'll just use my Orbitars.

Palutena: Be careful; Sylux has an array of furious melee attacks as well that your Orbitars won't be able to get around. You'll have to play intelligently if you want to overcome.

Viridi: Apparently, Sylux is wanted by the Galactic Federation for stealing their armor and weapon. When you take it down, make sure you collect your reward!

Pit: Heh, a bounty on a bounty hunter.

Palutena (serious look): Stay focused, Pit!

Additionally, as far as movesets go and as implied by my own version of Palutena's Guidance, I think Sylux should have a unique moveset outside of customs (and by that I mean, I don't think his moves should incorporate the other weapons from Hunters right off the bat). Though it does make sense and shows his resourcefulness (since the Shock Coil isn't his, the other weapons being used seems like the perfect fit), I think Sylux has the potential to have a moveset free of references to Hunters outside of his customs. His custom neutral specials could change to the Volt Driver and Judicator (since ice-themed customs are a trend). For his side special, he should use missiles like he can in Hunters. Unlike Samus's missiles, they travel in the same trajectory and have the same power regardless of how hard you mash the control stick when executing the move, and have a lasting/multi-hitting blast radius like the explosion from Mega Man's sticky bombs.

Sylux is shown to be capable of having hard-hitting normals in the intro to Hunters, where he slashes the air twice and roars (favorite part of the intro btw lol). I believe that Sylux's forward smash should be one or two of those slashes. He could benefit from being a hands on melee character with normals that have sweetspots that do electric damage.

Also a fun fact: Sound effects from Hunters were used in the show "How It's Made" (the sounds heard near the end of the intro where Samus is in battle are in this show's opening and cutaway tunes) and in "The Batman" (in the episode that introduced the supercomputer "D.A.V.E.", tunes from the main menu song of Hunters can be heard as D.A.V.E. is being created).

Oh and add me to the support list. :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I really like this. I actually have one of my own:

Pit: Who's this guy? He has an eerie feel about him...

Palutena: That's Sylux. Not much is known about it other than it's a dangerous bounty hunter.

Pit: Another one?

Palutena (delighted look): Yes. you should be used to seeing bounty hunters by now.

Pit: Oh yeah, I always seem to run into them. Does this one have strong kicks or lasers?

Palutena: Not quite. Sylux's weapon of choice is the Shock Coil, an electric attack which takes your health while restoring its own.

Pit: No biggie, I'll just use my Orbitars.

Palutena: Be careful; Sylux has an array of furious melee attacks as well that your Orbitars won't be able to get around. You'll have to play intelligently if you want to overcome.

Viridi: Apparently, Sylux is wanted by the Galactic Federation for stealing their armor and weapon. When you take it down, make sure you collect your reward!

Pit: Heh, a bounty on a bounty hunter.

Palutena (serious look): Stay focused, Pit!

Additionally, as far as movesets go and as implied by my own version of Palutena's Guidance, I think Sylux should have a unique moveset outside of customs (and by that I mean, I don't think his moves should incorporate the other weapons from Hunters right off the bat). Though it does make sense and shows his resourcefulness (since the Shock Coil isn't his, the other weapons being used seems like the perfect fit), I think Sylux has the potential to have a moveset free of references to Hunters outside of his customs. His custom neutral specials could change to the Volt Driver and Judicator (since ice-themed customs are a trend). For his side special, he should use missiles like he can in Hunters. Unlike Samus's missiles, they travel in the same trajectory and have the same power regardless of how hard you mash the control stick when executing the move, and have a lasting/multi-hitting blast radius like the explosion from Mega Man's sticky bombs.

Sylux is shown to be capable of having hard-hitting normals in the intro to Hunters, where he slashes the air twice and roars (favorite part of the intro btw lol). I believe that Sylux's forward smash should be one or two of those slashes. He could benefit from being a hands on melee character with normals that have sweetspots that do electric damage.

Also a fun fact: Sound effects from Hunters were used in the show "How It's Made" (the sounds heard near the end of the intro where Samus is in battle are in this show's opening and cutaway tunes) and in "The Batman" (in the episode that introduced the supercomputer "D.A.V.E.", tunes from the main menu song of Hunters can be heard as D.A.V.E. is being created).

Oh and add me to the support list. :p
I like this Guidance, I'll add it to the OP later.

I hadn't actually considered a moveset without the affinity weapons, actually. Reason being that I wanted to avoid giving the idea that Sylux would be a clone of Samus(though aesthetically they are both similar) when Sylux clearly has the options to be a unique character in its own right. I will agree that some of the weapons should be relegated to customs, but much like Mega Man, the amount of weapons that could be fitted as attacks basically makes Sylux a walking nuclear equipped deathmobile homage to Hunters.

I should look for those clips sometime, that's news to me.

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
I actually rather prefer the idea that Sylux would be more long ranged based, to be honest. Using the affinity weapons would make it pretty unique, and more true to the emphasis on firepower that Metroid is known for (since Smash seems insistent on making Metroid's own main character not firepower based), and would offer a lot of defensive and offensive options.

See, I can see Sylux playing a bit like how Colonel Radec plays in PlayStation All-Stars: long range game, all about the firepower, but with some decently strong (albeit limited) melee attacks that are mainly used to get enemies away from you. Sylux has always come across as very cunning and resourceful, so why not have a playstyle centered around using the weapons from Hunters, as well as setting traps with the Lockjaw and what not?

TL;DR Sylux: Firepower, tool, and trap based playstyle for an intelligent and ruthless bounty hunter? It only fits.

... and in "The Batman" (in the episode that introduced the supercomputer "D.A.V.E.", tunes from the main menu song of Hunters can be heard as D.A.V.E. is being created).
... Now I need to dig out my DVDs of "The Batman" and listen again. lol

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
See, I can see Sylux playing a bit like how Colonel Radec plays in PlayStation All-Stars: long range game, all about the firepower, but with some decently strong (albeit limited) melee attacks that are mainly used to get enemies away from you. Sylux has always come across as very cunning and resourceful, so why not have a playstyle centered around using the weapons from Hunters, as well as setting traps with the Lockjaw and what not?
Radec was my main in PSAS, and I really like the comparison.

Except I'd like it if Sylux's melee options didn't outright suck.

Last edited:

Varia31

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Varia31
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Heh, yeah. Radec's only reliable melee was his side square knife+shotgun pistol combo. I found ways to use his other attacks decently, but otherwise, his melee wasn't great at all. So yeah, give Sylux actually good close combat options. Nothing too amazing, but some good options that are each reliable at getting someone off of you. I see them as mainly quicker, weaker attacks, like Fox's, with a couple (like a tilt or smash) having some launch power. Otherwise, it would still be best for it to fight at a distance.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
@ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A Heh, yeah. Radec's only reliable melee was his side square knife+shotgun pistol combo. I found ways to use his other attacks decently, but otherwise, his melee wasn't great at all. So yeah, give Sylux actually good close combat options. Nothing too amazing, but some good options that are each reliable at getting someone off of you. I see them as mainly quicker, weaker attacks, like Fox's, with a couple (like a tilt or smash) having some launch power. Otherwise, it would still be best for it to fight at a distance.
Pre-patch, Radec's air kicking move was insanely useful for throw resets, actually. I can imagine Sylux sharing a similar attack.

And side square was a double edged sword; combos on hit, leaves you wide open on whiff.

The parallels grow the more I think about it.

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
@ Varia31 Varia31 Problem with making Sylux a ranged fighter is that its primary weapon is close-to-mid-ranged at best. If anything, I would think Sylux would favor a style similar to Zamus's... get in, do some damage, bug out. And as previously noted, leave some nasty presents in the process~

Top Bottom