• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Emos", and Why do we discriminate them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Hello, Blackadder here! :chuckle:

Recently I was pondering over the latest group of people to be discriminated apon:
"Emos" From a very basic point of view, there kind of like the Goths, only less rugged.
But what ARE Emos? Most of today’s teens will say that there just a bunch of "gay ***s" that have no place in today’s society.
Is this simply because they dress in an awkward manner (to today’s dress code anyway), is it because there usually seen as "Depressed", or is it because of there alleged suicidal beliefs?
I have often wondered why people discriminate others so just for these things.
Most of these "facts" (In my book) appear to be unjustified, and just made up from popular belief. I mean, honestly, if there are SO many emos’ its a problem, then how can they all be SUICIDAL? How does that make any sense? Again, if there all so depressed, why is it they have friends, and appear to laugh and muck around with them? Cleary a troubled child. The look, I admit, comes of as a little intimidating, but that’s all down too today’s perception of how we should all dress.
What I'm asking here, I guess, is what is a real Emo? Why are they discriminated? And are they really all that "gay"?

Thank you for reading. :)

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
Standard Definition of Emo- Someone who is overly dramatic about the problems in their life and outwardly displays these mis-represented feelings of oppression and whatnot towards other people, annoying them. Most commonly by dressing in a 'non-conformist' fashion, taking up obscure or 'oppressed' hobbies, and generally acting in a way that acts to victimize themself, and further put themself in a position to cry the victim.

Why do people not like them? They're ****ing annoying. Most of the time they spout psycho-babble and gibberish, they tend to have an elitist attitude about music and their hobbies, and tend to have strong opinions with no basis in reality. The best example of this is the new-age environmentalist movement which is completely 'anti-globalization' and yet uses the effects of globalization (Technology) to fuel its anti-globalization agenda. It's hypocritical, stupid and annoying.

Is the hate justified? Well, hate is never really justified, but the victim here is more likely than not the people who have to put up with the emo, such as family members, as they will fall victim to the emo's narcissistic inner struggle.

Speaking strictly from stereotypes.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Emo- Someone who is overly dramatic about the problems in their life and outwardly displays these mis-represented feelings of oppression and whatnot towards other people, annoying them. Most commonly by dressing in a 'non-conformist' fashion, taking up obscure or 'oppressed' hobbies, and generally acting in a way that acts to victimize themself, and further put themself in a position to cry the victim.

Why do people not like them? They're ****ing annoying. Most of the time they spout psycho-babble and gibberish, they tend to have an elitist attitude about music and their hobbies, and tend to have strong opinions with no basis in reality. The best example of this is the new-age environmentalist movement which is completely 'anti-globalization' and yet uses the effects of globalization (Technology) to fuel its anti-globalization agenda. It's hypocritical, stupid and annoying.

Is the hate justified? Well, hate is never really justified, but the victim here is more likely than not the people who have to put up with the emo, such as family members, as they will fall victim to the emo's narcissistic inner struggle.
To me all that seems to come off as the typical view of an emo.
Have you ever tried to get to know one? Have you ever made any attempts to understand there view of life? You are just spouting out the common reasons, really. That no one seems to like them, beacause they don't WANT to like them. They look freaky, seem freaky, so they must be freaky.
That just seems to be what I'm hearing from you, the typical teen answer answer.

Kalypso

Smash Journeyman
Have you ever tried to get to know one? Have you ever made any attempts to understand there view of life? You are just spouting out the common reasons, really. That no one seems to like them, beacause they don't WANT to like them. They look freaky, seem freaky, so they must be freaky.
That just seems to be what I'm hearing from you, the typical teen answer answer.
That's not my personal views, that's societies view of what an 'emo' is. To me there isn't such a thing as an emo, it's just a word people use to slander someone else, like anything else that's a classification with negative connotation.

I was just providing you with a definition. Also, don't be quick to judge people on the internet, especially the hall.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Recently I was pondering over the latest group of people to be discriminated apon:
"Emos" From a very basic point of view, there kind of like the Goths, only less rugged.
But what ARE Emos?
Kalypso pretty much hit it on the nose. An emo is what he said -- whether or not the group itself exists is up to your own paradigm.

Most of today’s teens will say that there just a bunch of "gay ***s" that have no place in today’s society.
Well, although not everybody with long hair or a bit of personal sorrow should be looked down upon, the people that the label is intended to represent are people that overdramatize things incessantly. This transcends mere appearance. A person that "looks like a jock" who plays the victim because mom won't make steak every day would be, as the label fits here, an emo. Why is this annoying? Because the problems these sort of people take straight to heart are usually very trivial compared to, say, the many families whose beloved sons/husbands/fathers come home in pine boxes thanks to roadside bombs in the Middle East.

Is this simply because they dress in an awkward manner (to today’s dress code anyway),
Well, as I said above, if you're going to apply the "emo" label to a real world context, you have to look beyond appearance. This is certainly the case for some people, but not for most -- with half a brain, at least.

is it because there usually seen as "Depressed", or is it because of there alleged suicidal beliefs?
Well, yeah. Especially in conjunction with the latter. As aforementioned, the label of an "emo" person specifically refers to the types that harbor extreme self-pity over excessive trivialities. People who talk about killing themselves because Jeneane doesn't like them compared to people that work at a sweatshop for ninety cents an hour don't really seem all that bad off.

I have often wondered why people discriminate others so just for these things.
Most of these "facts" (In my book) appear to be unjustified, and just made up from popular belief.
For better or for worse, popular belief comes from a skewed and misrepresented fact. For example, Stalinist Communism was a great threat to America's values and even the Russian people. However, somewhere around the era of McCarthyism, this fact was twisted into a belief that Communism is inherently threatening, which it is not.

The same applies here. People who are obsessively unhappy -- the few that are so depressed that they truly thrive on being "dark" and "moody" -- begin to project themselves that way, be it subconsciously or deliberately. Maybe they'll stop trying with the hair. Maybe they'll try on their sister's jeans. Who knows? Somewhere at the root of this is a genuine justification, but like everything else coming down the grapevine, we won't be able to pinpoint it.

I mean, honestly, if there are SO many emos’ its a problem, then how can they all be SUICIDAL?
A very bad argument...

How does that make any sense?
I'll tell you how. The people the label refers to present a mildly unpalatable self-image. Moreover, genuine cutters tend to cut in a calculatively non-lethal fashion -- "across the street", as it were. This is generally a plea for attention; again, whether this is a conscious decision is on a case-by-case basis. Most emos, going by the label's definition, tend to take it down a notch, talking about cutting themselves but not actually doing it. Your average Fall Out Boy sort of band is proof that at least some of them exist ;)

Again, if there all so depressed, why is it they have friends, and appear to laugh and muck around with them?
I don't know. Why can a date feign interest in you while mentally undressing the waiter? Why can men have wives and families, and come out of the closet in their fifties? Why can women fake orgasms?

Human beings are a hell of a lot more complicated than what makes waves on the surface.

Cleary a troubled child.
I declare that sneer defused by my above statement.

The look, I admit, comes of as a little intimidating, but that’s all down too today’s perception of how we should all dress.
I'll give you that, though it bears mention that if society dictated that we should dress as an emo might, a true emo would probably dress differently.

Blackadder said:
What I'm asking here, I guess, is what is a real Emo? Why are they discriminated? And are they really all that "gay"?
Most of that's covered in the above stuff, though I didn't get to touch on the "gay" thing...

Almost no one views them that way. Only the truest of bigots -- the kind of people that still drop the n-bomb with full malevolance -- have such narrow minds. In general, this is just people noting how they dress... because, let's face it, there are a lot of similarities between the standard "emo" apparel and how many more effeminite homosexuals dress.

Blackadder said:
I beg to differ. Quite strongly. Kalypso's points must have zipped right over your head like a CF-18, because none of his points were punctuated with dress code attacks. Instead, he points out an example of inate logical fallacy that many of them uphold, and a general fact that the families of these sorts suffer (they do).

Honestly, emo isn't really about how you dress. It's more of a side effect. Not all emos would dress that way and not all people who dress that way are emos. It's all about how you deal with problems, and if the emo label fits you, you're not dealing with them all that proficiently.

-I

Blackadder

Smash Master
That's not my personal views, that's societies view of what an 'emo' is. To me there isn't such a thing as an emo, it's just a word people use to slander someone else, like anything else that's a classification with negative connotation.

I was just providing you with a definition. Also, don't be quick to judge people on the internet, especially the hall.
Alright then, it may not have been your view, but it really sounded like your own stemming out there.
Also, I apologise if it seemed I was judging you, that wasn't my intention.
I try to make that never my intention.

On topic:
That may be societies view, but why? Why do we feel that way..?
It's so wrong to me..

@Evil eye
Sir, I belive I just got "pwnd". Or whatever they say.
Well, in retaliation to your statmants, I really have non..
I guess I got beaten there, but at least I'm willing to admit it. :)
I'd love some more opinions on the "Emo" matter though!

Digital Watches

Smash Ace
Hm...

I'd agree with the definition of "emo" that Evil Eye and Kalypso have put out, and by extension the reason people don't tend to like them, so I've really got nothing to say here, except...

The term "discrimination" is really a lot worse when it applies to an inherent characteristic of a person. When it's a concious decision, such as, to be blunt, the apparent "emo" vow to be a whiny ***** about everything, "discrimination," a VERY loaded term these days, is not necessarily unjustifiable.

The Mad Hatter

Smash Ace
I love the south park episode with emos. They are so worried about non-conformity when in fact they are doing the opposite. People are starved for attention and will do whatever it takes to fill the void. If that means dressing in chains and fish nets, then so be it.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
What a ****ty topic.

I think I might have to talk to EE about some things, assuming he EVER gets on AIM. ****.

I hate people who live stereotypes. Emos, goths, ganstas, preps, etc. Anyone who goes out of their way to identify with a pre-conceived notion of how you are supposed to act is a ****ing moron to me. I wear nice clothes and probably look like a prep, but I list to a lot of death metal. The fact that people have also corrupted words like "gothic" and "romantic" to mean some ****ty new definitions, sickens me.

Blackadder

Smash Master
@Crimson. Awh, come on, I've checked your history before.
You've made some lame topics before. (;

But yeah, when I made this thread I was a little uncertain and displeased with it.
But I'm not sure if there living stereotypes.
I mean, as you said Crimson, you wear "prep" cloths but listen to death metal.
I wear very casual cloths, and am a sort of "nerd" while I listen to Eminem as a favorite artist.
I would say everyone is like this.
Guy looks like emo, but watches "Captain Planet" or something.
Openly gay man is a big fan of "gay basher" jokes, all those little twists in personality.
That’s why I often used "emo" because I'm not sure if they really exist in anything more than name and word.
With the EE thing, just…email/PM him about stuff?

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I'm going to state this first. All of the people that are called "Emo"or"Goths" at my school aren't like the ones I see in movies. Or the ones that people decribe to me.

I know a couple of them and they aren't much different than most of the other people I know. The "Emos" are.. Actually more jumpy and more hyper than say the people in Band (My clique). But I think that a lot of people don't approve of them because they are just way different than so called "normal" people. They think about life, but most of us just live life.

All in all, I don't care about cliques. I listen to pop, rock, punk, metal, country. And have been called a wanna-be because I wear Sean John, G-Unit, Rocawear etc. I don't like people because of who they are, and not where they are and what they are considered as. If an "Emo" person is mean to me, I won't like them. If a "Jock" is nice to me, I'll like him, thats just how it works for me.

Miharu

Smash Hero
It could be said that "Emos" are the next group to be heavily stereotyped by the general public, just like hippies, nerds, and the gay community. So what's so odd about these "emos"? So they grow their hair out, highlight it in odd colors, wear tight pants and makeup, listen to metal, and apparently have suicidal thoughts; but for what reason?

This is where stereotyping is at fault. We tend to lump a group of diverse people together, simply because they share a few (usually quite obvious) common traits. So you have a guy who grows out his hair, and likes to wear black, since its his favorite color. Would he be classified as an emo child? Not really, because he only looks that way. How about someone that writes suicidal notes all day long? Not him either; he just needs some professional help. Point is, we as a race tend to make up dumb stereotypes for a few reasons. One, it's fairly convenient to have a derogatory statement that covers a wide range of people. Two, it doesn't matter much to the user of the word "emo," because they're all emo ***gots, right? There may be people out there that fit the definition of "emo", but there's also a significant amount of people who will act or dress a certain way just to be accepted, and it's not fair for the former to be grouped with the latter.

This also to do with the fact that some people just use the word "emo" purely as an insult, much like they would use some of the following phrases (gay, ***, ******, etc.) Those words were not originally created with the intention of having a negative connotation, but over time, as negative actions/people have been associated with said words, they have become used as derogatory phrases, and not really anything else.

The phrase "emo" is an inaccurate stereotype that tends to be incorrectly used by the ignorant populace that decided to coin the term in the first place.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Emo is actually more closely associated with the genre of music it represents.

Which is also largely misunderstood by the ignorant general public.

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
While it is true that stereotypeds have play a big part in this problem, we can't negate that also society in general is to blame for this.

In the years since emo music's popularity has risen, the criticism towards it has also risen in a dramatic way. I, in my opinion, call it a fad that in a near future will disappear. But for people today, it is an "embarrassing" fashion style and one that is related with dreppession towards life itself, which in reality it is more of a music movement than fashion style. But what I want to bring here is that this problem is cause because we are being letting our self be control by what society has told us that is right and wrong to do.

If we are to ask someone on the streets what is an emo and to describe one, he/she might say "An emo is an emotionally unstable, quiet, depressed and broken hearted guy who hates life", but I can go on and on with the definitions; melodramatic, self-pitying teenagers, people who celebrated self-injury and suicide, which those who do the last things I mention might say that it is a way to "ease the pain".

I think all of this "emo thing" is stupid and I find it amusing that, in reality, some of the people that pretend to act in a suicidal and self-harming way, do it as a way to get acceptance. This is the same with any other group, just in different ways. But don't think that this is my only though when it comes to emos, because, as I mention before, only SOME of this guys are this way, not all like many people believe. I have a neighbor who dress like that; tight pants, all black, the classic hair style and loves to listen to Him and other bands that people related to being emo. But in fact, he is one of the happiest persons I know, goes to church every sunday, has a nice girlfriend, lots of friends (he being the only one who dress in a emo way) and tells me that the people who think in suicidal ways are "crazy and need to seek help at ones".

All of this shows us that society has a powerful way to judge the life of a person. Is like there are invisible paths that guide us and, when someone decides to go in a different path, society instantly declared us as "doom" and not accepted.

Sariku

Smash Master
I got to agree with most of the people who posted. It's not Emo's so say that people complain about, but how the present themselves. I personaly have no problems with them, sometimes I get caught giving them a werid stare, just because some of them dress or look very... different, to say the least.

I don't think we should be "racist" about any of these things involving preps, emos, punks, goths, whatever. It's just ways of showing their emotions, and if thats how the choose, then fine. Its a free country, so it's wrong to hate them just because of what they look like, or act in this case.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Well, me being one of the "popular preps" (maybe a bit jock, but eh)
i still do make fun of emos. And goths. and punks.
Not because theyre dumb people, but because i can, and because its habit.
Its not to be MEAN, its because i think their choices (in the case of a emo) of being a little pansy girl and wear the same pants as my gf is a bit pathetic. If you wanna be gay, be gay. But lil emo boys are like girls in a boys body. act like a man. -_-

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
First and foremost, I honestly hate labels, because they are really cliched, and I refuse to catagorize myself. But for the sake of argument, I will use them. -_-()

I think emos are discriminated against because, quite honestly, they are one of the easiest targests. Consider several other groups: Preps/Jocks, Skater Punks, Geeks, Goths, Quiet Kids, and just the average people. Now, rarely people will pick on the preps or jocks because they fear their so called "power." (I laugh, those people have no real power when you actually confront them, as I did quite often! ^o^) And the goth kids and skater punks are considered creepy or intimidating, and sometimes even cool, so people may make their snide remarks, but generally, they leave them alone. Geeks and quiet kids, unfortunatly, are often tormented, but even they seek refuge under teachers, and at least they keep to themselves and try not to attract attention.

But then...you see an emo kid. It's like a goth kid, but rather, it's more like a poser. And people pick up on that. Now don't get me wrong. I personally have nothing against the people. Granted, I think they are overly dramatic, but many of my friends were "emo", and they were indeed nice people. But I think I'm a little more accepting than some. Regardless, the whole emo scene is for attention. But acting depressed all the time gets really old. Honestly, people have it worse off in so many places, and yet, emos act as though they have the roughest life possible. I think being artsy and expressive is great, but wearing black all the time, writing dark poetry, saying how "empty" you are inside, and acting hardcore...and then getting so emotional about it is a contradiction in terms. Are you hardcore or not? Since you act like you are, but do not follow through, I see you as a poser. Could you imagine the Easter Bunny in the Marines? Same thing. And nobody likes a poser.

I hope I'm not offending anyone. Again, I have no problem with "emos" (Gah, I cringe at labels. ><) And a lot of what I said is indeed a steryotype. But don't we all go by steryotypes when judging people? So what better way than to use steryotypes to find out why we indeed alienate this clique. I hope this may shed some light on this subject.

If you wanna be gay, be gay. But lil emo boys are like girls in a boys body. act like a man. -_-
Hang in there contradiction of terms. Wouldn't someone with homosexual desires be considered the opposite sex on the inside? :/ And tell me, what exactly do you consider a "man?" I tire of the consistant standards that are supposed to be upheld. For example, I am male, and I despise sports. Does that make me any less of a man? If someone is overly emotional, are they still a man? If it weren't for such misconceptions, there wouldn't even be an emo discrimination thread.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
No, you can despise sports all you want. But when you start wearing make up (womens) and clothes (womens; their tight butt jeans) and dont have ANY muscle (so they can fit in the girls jeans) and whines excessively about whatever ******** emo thing in their life (wah she doesnt like me).... thats not a man. thats just sad.

Its sad BECAUSE when kids do that, its like a cry for help/attention and/or depression imo. And, society today, jumps to the conclusion "your depressed, take these meds it make u feel better" welllll how bout u just teach them not to whine so much? -_-

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Its like the kid thats picked last at dodgeball cuz he sucks at it, or basketball. Does that kid whine? No. Cuz he would get picked on. Why cant we pick on the whiners in high school? lol

Our society needs to stop being sooo.... dramatic and sensitive!

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
Arkengate, I agree with you in the sense that society needs to lose some drama. Whining and complaing are at an insane high, and it needs to stop. However, it is the attention that is given to them that causes them to whine, because any attention is better than no attention. So, whenever I saw someone complaining, I generally just ignore them, which makes them stop. Remember, whenever someone expresses anything publicly, it is to gather the attention of others. Neglect is most likely the reason why "emos" act the way they do. They crave that which they never recieved, which is attention, but yet, they go about it in a negative manner. Much like how a baby cries when it wants something, they do as well. Though it is more evolved into cutting, loud music, clothing, hair, and cheesy myspace pics taken in the bathroom mirror, it is a social immaturity. I find it best to show compassion to these people when they are around, but I do not encourage their downcast behavior. Picking on them, and feeling sorry for them only perpetuates this.

Arkengate

Smash Journeyman
Well, do you think that, if justified that a child is 'becoming emo' they should be taken from parents because parents arent giving them attention enough?

I know that in europe they take away fat kids, and they might do that here as well i understand. This being for health neglect. Can they do the same for emos?

Indigo4

Smash Apprentice
I was actually at the thread a moment ago, btw. But regardless, I don't think that could really be justified. I mean, a kid who just hates living at home could act like that, and simply be taken away. So that woudln't work. And not all of them do it due to neglect. Some just do it to be "an individual" which is silly, seeing as how tons due it. 9_9 But whatev. Why can't people simply be themselves without following some silly trend?

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
I think this thread needs to stop, its just a bunch of biased, and baseless garbage.

It's just bringing up how cliques in high school hate each other. There is no substance to any arguements anymore, noone addressed any key points. Seriously guys what are we trying to prove.

I wear skinnies and band-t's i also listen to the screamo genre, i however don't consider myself Emo because again the general public has labeled people that when it is in fact completely wrong and again baseless.

fail/10 people

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
no one posts in here =/

anyway an emo is someone who cuts themselves because they have emotional problems, all you posers emos I could care less about.
They don't necessarily have to cut their arm, maybe they choke themselves or use inhalants.

Now, the social interpretation of someone who cuts them self is that they either do it to get high off blood loss, or that they have horrible emotional problems at home.
If we believe they do it to get high we see them as a druggy, or just view them as plain weird. How can you relate to someone who cuts them self?
If they have emotional problems it becomes obvious that instead of facing them they decide to escape reality for a while with extreme methods. Again, how can you relate or try to help them? People don't enjoy pity. If they DO want your pity and don't want to face their problems then they have a severe lack of self-discipline.
I've tried talking to an emo once, they told me to, and I thus quote, "F*** off"

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
See the problem with this topic is that its so broad and so many people have different ideas of what "emo" is. How can i debate anyone about why we discriminate when some people say they're attention whores, some say they cut themselves, i say its a music genre etc etc etc. The word is to meaningless in todays society. Perhaps it would be better suited to debate just outcasts of the society and what makes us discriminate.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Despite what people are saying is Emo, it's used to describe the way a person looks. Whether they don't cut themselves, like rap, or hate attention doesn't matter, it's still the way they look that they're classified as. Any other reason is just trying to find a justification for it.

Though I would disagree that they're "outcasts", the only people I see making fun of them all the time are other "outcasts" who don't want to feel like they're the bottom rung. It's usually people that are generally classified as "nerds" or "geeks" that are the full blown "go cry emos!", most other people only make fun of the ones that are into vampires or where drag.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Despite what people are saying is Emo, it's used to describe the way a person looks. Whether they don't cut themselves, like rap, or hate attention doesn't matter, it's still the way they look that they're classified as. Any other reason is just trying to find a justification for it.
An real emo would say that he hates you for judging people right now. But it's true. You see a guy with an ugly shirt, a bad hairstyle, and glasses, and you automatically assume he's a nerd. Same thing with black haired kids, with black shirts, and tight pants.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
An real emo would say that he hates you for judging people right now. But it's true. You see a guy with an ugly shirt, a bad hairstyle, and glasses, and you automatically assume he's a nerd. Same thing with black haired kids, with black shirts, and tight pants.
I don't think you got what I meant, I'm saying that there is no such thing as a "real" emo, it's a clarification we use on people who dress a certain way. Look at it this way, people who were Polo's are considered "prep", which therefore makes them a bunch of rich jerks who play lacrosse, or that guys with backwards hats are "jocks", and therefore a bunch of misogynist, idiotic *****. It's a dumb clarification that doesn't mean anything. There are people out there who would fit the sterotype, but that doesn't mean the stereotype is true. It's just about appearance that we clarify people into those groups. So there is no such thing as a "real" emo, just some kid who acts like a stereotype and dresses in a certain way.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Ah. See, I was thinkin' you were talking about how people just assume without knowing. Which most people do.

I'm still not entirely sure of what you're getting at though. I know what you're saying, but I don't see the point of why you're saying it. It seems like you're saying: "There's no such thing as "real" mud, just water and dirt that's mixed together."

From what I think you're saying, I have to disagree, there is such thing as a "real" emo. The stereotype had to come from somewhere, no? It's just that people don't seem to recognize the real thing anymore, due to the pre-established stereotype.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Emo comes from the pre-pop punk wave of bands coming in the late nineties to early 21st century. Normally associated with bands such as MCR and FOB and are highly different then the musically accepted genre of Emotional music also referencing to Circle Takes the Square.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
From what I think you're saying, I have to disagree, there is such thing as a "real" emo. The stereotype had to come from somewhere, no? It's just that people don't seem to recognize the real thing anymore, due to the pre-established stereotype.
That idea of a "real emo" would be a Scotman's fallacy (I think it's called that). By narrowing what is considered a "fake emo" and a "real emo", people are just forcing their own views on it. Compare it to racists, if they see a smart black guy, they could say that it's "not a real blackie", while the dumb ones are. It morphs the evidence to fit a predetermined conclusion.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I guess it just comes down to "What's an emo?"

Since there are so many different opinions, it leads to a lot of different conclusions. There's too much gray in this debate to form a solid black or white conclusion as to why we discriminate them.

Good discussion, bad debate.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
I think we should help Emos. Nowadays most people become emo because they are "excluded" from society. They feel "rejected" and start acting, dressing, living, etc. "weird". What we have to do as a society is to be more close from the ones who feel "lonely". Helping them, sharing time with them, etc.

I think that's the main reason of emos existence. They're not "gay" or "scary" they're common people who wants our support, but are afraid to say it, or to show it. The problem is when they don't want to change; because, if that happens, they will have a hard time getting a job, talking with people, going to somewhere, etc.

That's my opinion, I'm seeing that most posters hate emos, discriminates them, fights them or talk bad about them. But just think what I've said, they're like that because we excluded them from our Environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom