• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECCSL: East Coast Canada Smash League 2009-2010 (Updated!)

Kev!

Smash Journeyman
The idea of this league is that it is for the Canadian Smash Comumunity, run by the Canadian Smash Community. Pownz is merely offering the ECCSL a venue for use. Our new centre upgrade will feature multiple Lagless flat screens and new systems. If we ran an ECCSL event, it would be up the the League to choose game play and types, the league would be using Pownz as a Venue.

Either way, I won't force the issue if the ECCSL does not want to have Pownz part of it. Our aim is to be the ultimate E-sport venue and as such we are dedicated to providing competitive to professional game play. If that is what the ESSCL is looking for then here we are. If your tribunal decides it is not in the leagues best interest to run events at Pownz, I think it would be denying itself a valuable resource.

Smashers, this is your centre. If you want to use it for skill driven, cash tourneys that are ultimately just friendlies, then that is what it will be used for. But if you want to have the skill and the cash and have it count for PR... then that too, is up to you.

We will be here for you either way.
Amen.

Brawl is clearly a part of ECCSL people, Meelee should be as well. As a Brawl-only player, even I can see the potential Meelee has to bring in more players; ergo bigger prize pools, moar fun, etc. IF there is any room left for Smash64/SF4, I say we should proceed by vote to decide between the two. Voting would be a more viable solution than aimless debates and arguments. Someone open a god**** poll already!

JPOBS

Smash Hero
Listen dude, if you want melee so bad, go to starfurry events or sauga weeklies ( they are all over the place ).

Its already bad enough that most of us have to leave pownz at like 12 AM to catch the last bus to get back to toronto, or sauga, or brampton.

What I'm implying is if you request melee tournies now, it will slow down the process of the actual brawl tournament. With them having sf4 and s64 already, theres no need for melee.

So no, Pownz dosn't need to have melee tournaments you just need to get your lazy *** up and find one yourself.

Let brawl evolve, stop trying to add melee into the mix, s64 and sf4 is good enough.
Well i think Thatguy has done a good job in defending me but just to make everything perfectly clear i think i'll emphasize a few points.

Im not merely requesting pownz host melee tournies, i was just pointing out that the ECCSL has decided to carry forth with both Brawl and Melee as main attractions/events in the circuit. I only commented on pownz because I know that in the past, they have previously hosted brawl only events, and i was just pointing out that melee would have to be hosted as well if they were apart of the league.

the Pownz representative in this thread however has made it very clear that pownz primarily wants to offer its help as a venue, and are willing to concede to the requests for whichever games the ECCSL ask they host. I for one find it admirable that they are so devoted to improving the overall quality of community through whatever means necessary.

That being said, its unfortunate that Brawls community may not be as strong as melee's, however, that is not a reason to exclude melee from events simply for the sake of promoting brawl, in fact, it counter intuitive in every way imaginable.

but i dont want to drag this discussion on, Raging_Zoo has already made it obvious how Pownz would like to be involved in this, and if that cant be done (due to them having SF4 and smash64) or for whatever other reason, then so be it.

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
...Pownz can't host melee unless they get rid of s64 and sf4...
Just a quick point of order, at the last Pownz event 'sb64' was being played because one of our local members brought it in. Before that event, sb64 and the N64 are almost never used here. We did add SF4 for friendlies play, because there are two LCD monitors at the Centre that are too laggy for S.S.B.B., once a solution is found for LCD lag (we are looking into a couple) those Stations will likely be redirected to Smash during Smash events.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The first rankings will be posted tonight.

Il talk to pownz soon !

EDIT: Seems like i had to modify the point system a bit after realizing i forgot to take something into account >.<

swordgard

Smash Hero
How would Niko (and many others) have more singles points than me but they placed lower?
Read the opening post?

I stated how the points works. We encourage placing in both singles and doubles by making it so you get a boost from the other one. Only top 8 counts whatsover. The boost is also minimal, you can easily outplace him by placing top 8 at any other event (especially since this one was worth 50% since it was an exhibition event).

EDIT: I failed to take into account your boost my bad.

Gichan

Smash Champion
aw ****! Doubles counts to? Now I gotta join that ****!

So wait, Jaske and I aren't mentioned in the singles ladder because we didn't participate in doubles? Just gotta make sure, because we placed the same as Mikey and Niko but aren't mentioned. I'm just confused, can someone please sort it out for me so I cna understand how this works?

ThatGuy

Smash Master
aw ****! Doubles counts to? Now I gotta join that ****!

So wait, Jaske and I aren't mentioned in the singles ladder because we didn't participate in doubles? Just gotta make sure, because we placed the same as Mikey and Niko but aren't mentioned. I'm just confused, can someone please sort it out for me so I cna understand how this works?
If you did place top 8 in teams, there's a chance that Swordgard missed you guys as well, so you'll get 2 points in Doubles ladder and 1 Point in Singles ladder, based on the math principle he's applying here.

I guess you round all the numbers up swordgard?

Gichan

Smash Champion
No no, I understand, so then the guys below the ninth placing all joined doubles and got top 8, makes sens. I didn't join doubles. Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

KingAce

Smash Ace
wtf why does holy have 5 more points than me in singles....... we split at losers finals and i even beat him in the set before that if anything we should have the same pts

edit: nvm i guess u take into account doubles and he gets more points for that for singles? i dunno man this seems confusing and stupid why wud you give points to people for singles when doubles has nothing to do with singles...

Niko_K

Smash Master
I don't understand how I have one point alongside PNDMike Carter ETC when I placed higher than them as well.

Could some explain the point system in depth...

KingAce

Smash Ace
honestly doubles has nothing to do with singles, there are a lot of people who are better in singles than doubles or better in doubles than singles, just because someone can do well in singles it shouldnt mean the points get transferred to doubles. i think that ur point system is fail

Cyan_

Smash Lord
Yeah...this is really confusing. Mixing doubles with singles...

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
I don't understand the point system at all, nor do I even care about being in the rankings unless I have a deep explanation for it.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I don't understand the point system at all, nor do I even care about being in the rankings unless I have a deep explanation for it.
There's an explanation of it on the first page.

Due to the flawed nature of static scale ranking, we have opted to use a dynamic scale ranking. This means that not every event will be worth the same amount of points depending on the attendance. This is mainly due to the fact that some tournament's average skill level is considerably higher due to the large amount of people being present. The total amount of points available in each event for each tournament will be 10 times the amount of people that attended. This means that for singles, if 30 people showed up, the total amount of points being distributed will be equal to 300. These points will be then distributed using a percentage system in order to make this new system viable. This system also makes it so that the difference between the 1st and 2nd place is a gap which is large enough to be worth placing first, but small enough so that it allows you to make a comeback if you are getting 2nd often enough while rewarding consistency. In order to reward players doing good in both singles and doubles, even if each ranking is separate, you will be gaining 20% of the points you gained in an event from another ranking. This means that for example, placing third in a singles event with 10 people will give you 15 points in the singles ranking, with an additional 3 points in the doubles ranking
TLDR version:

Points total distribution = Attendance X 10

Points are then divided among players as follows:

1st place: 40%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 7.5%
5th place: 3.75% each
7th place: 2.5 % each
20% of those points are then added to your ranking on the alternate ladder.

For Doubles, your points are divided in half so the boost for players isn't crazy across the singles board.

swordgard

Smash Hero
i think theres a type, it says kc is 10th wen he has 2 points and all 11th place has 2 points, plus me and him teamed so wtf
Probably, it would really help though if someone could provide me with a complete list of who was in what team for top 8 of the last tourney >.>.

Ima fix the typos tommorow though (well, its past midnight, i guess later today ) , sleepy as hell

swordgard

Smash Hero
i think theres a type, it says kc is 10th wen he has 2 points and all 11th place has 2 points, plus me and him teamed so wtf
Ok, so the ladder was redone.

1st of all, we will no longer be taking 10% of the pots for ECCSL finals considering it kinda ***** the pot.

2nd of all, the doubles ladder was dropped due to the fact that it becomes hard to maintain since A) not everyone plays doubles B) Your partner choice can affect your team level way too much and C) It becomes a pain to keep track off due to team names.

Now this means only brawl singles will count toward the ladder, and melee ladder will start at niko's event.

Remember that first event was a exhibition event (0.5 times the point), and this was updated with the opening event.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
WTF... Ok yo take me out of this stupid ******** sh*t please, why the hell is buenob ahead of me I had to go through LOADS of competition at mikeys and he had to play scrubs

Please, take me off, give all my points to kingace or split them with niagra, I'm out.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
even though mikeys had way more competition lol makes no sense o well
WTF... Ok yo take me out of this stupid ******** sh*t please, why the hell is buenob ahead of me I had to go through LOADS of competition at mikeys and he had to play scrubs

Please, take me off, give all my points to kingace or split them with niagra, I'm out.
Reason:

Remember that first event was a exhibition event (0.5 times the point), and this was updated with the opening event.
Mikey's tournament had difficult competition, but still only had 39 entrants. It's a trap! had 21 entrants. Therefore, It's a Trap! was worth more than Mikey's because it was intended to be the first 'real' event.

The ladder is supposed to last for a year. You honestly think that a single 21-person tournament will affect everything that much?

Lastly, why bother asking to be out? Just imagine this thread doesn't exist if you dislike it the idea so much. I think you understand how silly the idea of splitting/transfering points is enough for me to not have to explain why you can't do that.

If Niko's tournament has a decent turnout, the ladder will probably have a ton of changes.

Sanu

Smash Champion
ECCSL is failing, haha. That's where counterpicking characters got ya! I warned you didn't I? lolol ;p

Gichan

Smash Champion
I suggest Havoc in the Hammer to be the next ECCL event, or at least an exhibition, as it seems there are no events scheduled for August.

TyrantWolf

Smash Lord
The Sauga Outbreak IS the 3rd event lol. Don't forget, but we won't be following the whole pot cutoff.

So start confirming guys, we're already spreading word to newer people for both games.

infomon

Smash Scientist
plz put links in the OP to any tourneys that count; since I'm too lazy (and don't generally follow out-of-city stuff enuf) to necessarily find them otherwise

swordgard

Smash Hero
The Sauga Outbreak IS the 3rd event lol. Don't forget, but we won't be following the whole pot cutoff.

So start confirming guys, we're already spreading word to newer people for both games.
Whoa lol whut?

Either way, we dont do the pot cutoff anymore since

A) Destroys the pot on smaller tourneys
B) Wont end up being enough to motivate people to go to the finals.

And if you want it to be on the circuit, care to advise me? XD Hit me up on aim/msn.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
Chesters been to 1 tournament for the ECCSL, how does he have like 43204720571 more points than me? And how did Havoc in the hammer not count?

Thats rediculous.

HolyNightmare

Smash Champion
Chesters been to 1 tournament for the ECCSL, how does he have like 43204720571 more points than me? And how did Havoc in the hammer not count?

Thats rediculous.
Im pretty sure Swordgard stopped updating this since its pointless, the whole idea wont work if you guys dont show up at our tourneys and vice-versa.

Top Bottom