• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECCSL: East Coast Canada Smash League 2009-2010 (Updated!)

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Mikey. Pownz seeds like this:

Assuming pools take the top 4 out of it. 1st in the pool will face 4th in another pool, 2nd will face 3rd in another pool etc etc. It's designed so the top players DON'T face each other right away, infact, it helps weed out the weaker players so the later brackets are better matches.

If you expect Pownz to hand pick and customize where certain matches should be so that the "good" players don't play each other immediately... THAT is biased.

Mikey, you've never been to a pownz tourney before, have you? I think you should get your own perspective first, rather than taking it from disgruntled players who got unlucky in their seed because:
A) they sandbagged just enough to make it through their pools.
B) they just happened to be placed nearby another top player due to the rank in pools.
Yeah becuase putting the 2nd and 3rd best players in Southern Ontario in the same quarter of the bracket is being a good T.O. lol.

Iliad

Smash Lord
Pool seats are also seeded by location. meaning that most times top players won't be in the same pool, meaning also that top players will likely take 1st in the pools they play in. Which also means, they won't meet each other early on until semi-finals at least. Check the brackets for the last pownz tourney dude.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Unfortunately iliad, the last bracket was pretty bad. Had Ambrose (2nd), Percon (3rd), and Hype (8th) on the same side. The other side had Doc, Pho, Minus, I think Fatal (u and c) to.

the last bracket was a bad example.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
They played in 3rd round, followed by a 4th round Percon vs Nickcam, lol.

Also, Hype played Ambrose in both pools AND bracket (2nd round of bracket).

I'm not trying to trash Pownz, becuase there are alot of positive things I've heard about their structure and such, but for the part that matters the most, placings, which are directly decided by a fair bracket should be based on tournaments where the T.O. knows the community. A T.O. that knew the community wouldn't put the 2 best players on the same side of the bracket. It's as simple as that.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Opening event was announced, Pownz ladder is off, mikeys event is now an exhibition event, read the updates :) Keep em criticism coming

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Sticky anyone?

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'll try to make it with the rest of Toronto.

It looks really fun :D

Vwins I want a rematch ;D

Same for you bamsoldier ;P

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
While I do understand the reluctance to use Pownz events as part of the ECCSL, due to our seeding and what have you, I do hope the community will not rule it out completely. Our tournament standard is not set in stone, and a seeding based on rank in an over all league is possible, so long as such seeding does not involve 'hand picking' bracket. (which is a form of Bracket Elitism)
For fair seeding based on established rank, we would need to be part of the league from it's inception as to always be on top of proper power ranking. That being said, Pownz would by no means be looking to run such a league, just be a part of it. I would want any official ECCSL events to be run with the leagues knowledge and consent. I would want a official ECCSL Rep present at any such tournament to ensure all league policies are being followed, including proper seeding (as well as some one to give a league dues % cheque to) and we would bow to most Power Rank related issues with such a Rep, including rule calls (so long as none violate the better part of Gamemanship)

For example, if we had made VICTORY an ECCSL event the breakdown would have gone down like this:

1: Ally $291.50 and 2120 points
2: Hype $132.50 and 1325 points
3: Doc $53 and 795 points
4: Minus 15$ and 397.5 points
5: Niko 198.75 points
5: Fool 198.75 points
7: Danny 132.5 points
7: Culex 132.5 points

With $38 to the ECCSL prize pool

It seems like a waste of talent that these players could not receive Power Ranking points simply because of a quirk in our seeding system, a quirk mind you, that should be easy enough to fix. VICTORY was a test of skill as are all Pownz events, every one fought hard, I for one would like to see them receive PR for their efforts. And I am more than willing to alter our seeding method (or any other method) to see players receive their due.

In the end we would merely be offering a venue for the ECCSL to run events or to support ECCSL event that may be run far out of the GTA (say in Quebec) For instance, if Pownz were to work with the ECCSL for "It's a Trap" we could run an event on the same weekend, with the same games and rule sets. In this way, local Smashers that have no way of getting to Quebec can still receive power rankings and not be limited by geographical location. At the same time we can add to the larger prize pool, while using the local prize pool for the event in Hamilton.

All I ask of the Smash Community is to consider running official ECCSL event at Pownz Games Centre, we would be as involved or uninvolved as the Community wishes, we would only ask that a fair game is played (something I think we all agree with)

I hope we can continue a dialogue on this subject.

Thank you for your consideration

~Razing_Zozo of Pownz Gaming Centre

Gichan

Smash Champion
While I do understand the reluctance to use Pownz events as part of the ECCSL, due to our seeding and what have you, I do hope the community will not rule it out completely. Our tournament standard is not set in stone, and a seeding based on rank in an over all league is possible, so long as such seeding does not involve 'hand picking' bracket. (which is a form of Bracket Elitism)
For fair seeding based on established rank, we would need to be part of the league from it's inception as to always be on top of proper power ranking. That being said, Pownz would by no means be looking to run such a league, just be a part of it. I would want any official ECCSL events to be run with the leagues knowledge and consent. I would want a official ECCSL Rep present at any such tournament to ensure all league policies are being followed, including proper seeding (as well as some one to give a league dues % cheque to) and we would bow to most Power Rank related issues with such a Rep, including rule calls (so long as none violate the better part of Gamemanship)

For example, if we had made VICTORY an ECCSL event the breakdown would have gone down like this:

It seems like a waste of talent that these players could not receive Power Ranking points simply because of a quirk in our seeding system, a quirk mind you, that should be easy enough to fix. VICTORY was a test of skill as are all Pownz events, every one fought hard, I for one would like to see them receive PR for their efforts. And I am more than willing to alter our seeding method (or any other method) to see players receive their due.

In the end we would merely be offering a venue for the ECCSL to run events or to support ECCSL event that may be run far out of the GTA (say in Quebec) For instance, if Pownz were to work with the ECCSL for "It's a Trap" we could run an event on the same weekend, with the same games and rule sets. In this way, local Smashers that have no way of getting to Quebec can still receive power rankings and not be limited by geographical location. At the same time we can add to the larger prize pool, while using the local prize pool for the event in Hamilton.

All I ask of the Smash Community is to consider running official ECCSL event at Pownz Games Centre, we would be as involved or uninvolved as the Community wishes, we would only ask that a fair game is played (something I think we all agree with)

That..was a hero post.

swordgard

Smash Hero

Alright, so after a bit of reflexion I finally reached a decision. 1st of all, concerning your proposals for creating a second tourney on the same day as an ECCSL event in Pownz gaming center in order to allow people who can't travel to still get a chance cannot be done. Simply for the fact that this would skew tournament results way too much(IE its not because someone got 4th there that they really would have if the people at the other tourney had gone). That is really impossible to do if only for tourney interference, let alone probably dividing the community in 2 for tourneys.

We also cannot include each and every Pownz event in the ladder because this would make it very unfair to the people in other regions, the point in having a circuit is to allow each and every region to compete at a near even chance(perfectly even cannot realistically be attained).

On the other hand, considering the fact that we still need tourneys and that Pownz has a good reputation overall despite somewhat bad seeding, we are open to let Pownz host an ECCSL events as long as we can get one of our official there, and possibly 2.

Our current goal is to achieve 2-3 official tourneys(not exhibition) in each major region, those being:

GTA(Mainly niagara and toronto)

Hamilton

Montreal

Ottawa.

And considering these factors, we definitly cannot make Pownz host tons of tourneys or make any on the same day as another in ECCSL.

~Swordgard~

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
This, is agreeable. I understand the ideal of not saturating the league. The ideal is only to increase support and attendence. I hope the community will still enjoy non-league monthlies and we will of course not schedule any monthies on league days. Further, I will do everything in my power to promote League events. I will host our June tournament on June 27th for friendly cash prizes. We will work on a date before summers end. Note that we will be hosting the Fan Expo in August, so it would be preferable to run a league event before the last weekend of Augest. Propose a date this summer, provide a Rep, we wil provide the venue.

I will look into sending participants to It's a Trap, with set ups.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
This, is agreeable. I understand the ideal of not saturating the league. The ideal is only to increase support and attendence. I hope the community will still enjoy non-league monthlies and we will of course not schedule any monthies on league days. Further, I will do everything in my power to promote League events. I will host our June tournament on June 27th for friendly cash prizes. We will work on a date before summers end. Note that we will be hosting the Fan Expo in August, so it would be preferable to run a league event before the last weekend of Augest. Propose a date this summer, provide a Rep, we wil provide the venue.

I will look into sending participants to It's a Trap, with set ups.
if pownz was to be apart of the League then you guys would need to start hosting melee tournaments as well.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
if pownz was to be apart of the League then you guys would need to start hosting melee tournaments as well.
Listen dude, if you want melee so bad, go to starfurry events or sauga weeklies ( they are all over the place ).

Its already bad enough that most of us have to leave pownz at like 12 AM to catch the last bus to get back to toronto, or sauga, or brampton.

What I'm implying is if you request melee tournies now, it will slow down the process of the actual brawl tournament. With them having sf4 and s64 already, theres no need for melee.

So no, Pownz dosn't need to have melee tournaments you just need to get your lazy *** up and find one yourself.

Let brawl evolve, stop trying to add melee into the mix, s64 and sf4 is good enough.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Listen dude, if you want melee so bad, go to starfurry events or sauga weeklies ( they are all over the place ).

Its already bad enough that most of us have to leave pownz at like 12 AM to catch the last bus to get back to toronto, or sauga, or brampton.

What I'm implying is if you request melee tournies now, it will slow down the process of the actual brawl tournament. With them having sf4 and s64 already, theres no need for melee.

So no, Pownz dosn't need to have melee tournaments you just need to get your lazy *** up and find one yourself.

Let brawl evolve, stop trying to add melee into the mix, s64 and sf4 is good enough.
That was pretty hostile. JPOBS is right though, Melee is part of this league, and therefore Pownz would have to incorporate it into their event.

There is no reason to hate Melee, which is what you are quite blatantly implying here.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
why not just make the melee/brawl tourneys on different days? unless Pownz plans on using those t.vs at the side that all those 360s are plugged into and switchin em with GCN

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
That was pretty hostile. JPOBS is right though, Melee is part of this league, and therefore Pownz would have to incorporate it into their event.

There is no reason to hate Melee, which is what you are quite blatantly implying here.
Now where in my post does it say I hate melee?

I just think its a wasteful use of LCD's, we already have 3 games in each pownz event, if you want melee you're going to have to choose between sf4 and smash64.

Why does it have to come to that? We can't have 4 games between 10 or so TVS, we won't get everything done on time...

And another thing, There are tons of brawl/melee leagues that don't include both games in an event, and therefore just 100 % melee, what is pownz wants 100 % brawl, gets everything done faster, so no, it dosn't have to be included in pownz events.

We don't even know if Pownz is included in the ECCSL anyways, they completely crossed it out.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Now where in my post does it say I hate melee?

I just think its a wasteful use of LCD's, we already have 3 games in each pownz event, if you want melee you're going to have to choose between sf4 and smash64.

Why does it have to come to that? We can't have 4 games between 10 or so TVS, we won't get everything done on time...

And another thing, There are tons of brawl/melee leagues that don't include both games in an event, and therefore just 100 % melee, what is pownz wants 100 % brawl, gets everything done faster, so no, it dosn't have to be included in pownz events.

We don't even know if Pownz is included in the ECCSL anyways, they completely crossed it out.
You're telling him GTFO because there are plenty of other places he can go. He didn't even specify that he was a Melee player, he just pointed out a fact, and you jumped on him for being a 'lazy ***'.

If Pownz already has SF4 and SSB64, then my apologies for my assumption. Otherwise, you pretty much singled out Melee as being the only unecessary game.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
You're telling him GTFO because there are plenty of other places he can go. He didn't even specify that he was a Melee player, he just pointed out a fact, and you jumped on him for being a 'lazy ***'.

If Pownz already has SF4 and SSB64, then my apologies for my assumption. Otherwise, you pretty much singled out Melee as being the only unecessary game.
Yea its alright, I just hate when some people try to revive melee when Brawl is the game that needs to be dealt with, we're not trying to find a melee smash scene, theres already a large quantity.

We need a brawl community, so far we have a reasonable sized brawl scene in the GtaN, but when you compare it to melee, dosn't nearly matchup.

This is only in relation to GtaN, not the States. The States has an amazing brawl scene, we need that in canada right now...:ohwell:

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Yea its alright, I just hate when some people try to revive melee when Brawl is the game that needs to be dealt with, we're not trying to find a melee smash scene, theres already a large quantity.

We need a brawl community, so far we have a reasonable sized brawl scene in the GtaN, but when you compare it to melee, dosn't nearly matchup.

This is only in relation to GtaN, not the States. The States has an amazing brawl scene, we need that in canada right now...:ohwell:
I don't understand why smash 64 is hosted instead of Melee honestly.. who the hell plays smash 64 competitive these days? From what I've seen only a handful of people.

Gichan

Smash Champion
That's pretty true though, smash 64 is trying to come back....again?!

Melee should have priority over smash 64, just a better game in ever way.

And doc brings up awesome points about the brawl scene, it is too good in the US, and we do not have sufficient tournaments and casuals like the freaking americans do to keep our scene strong.

If you think about it, when brawl first came up, Canada was near the top of its metagame, with up to two casuals at Rae's a week, and many tournaments. Discussons were large about new things in the game, and matchups were learned quite well so when people went to the states, **** ensued.

But nowadays, we are nowhere near as good as the americans, we have hopefully a casual a week, thank god Carter is awesome, and our tournament scene is just about to pick up (finally).

Anyways, melee>smash 64, LOL

Divinokage

Smash Legend

And doc brings up awesome points about the brawl scene, it is too good in the US, and we do not have sufficient tournaments and casuals like the freaking americans do to keep our scene strong.

If you think about it, when brawl first came up, Canada was near the top of its metagame, with up to two casuals at Rae's a week, and many tournaments. Discussons were large about new things in the game, and matchups were learned quite well so when people went to the states, **** ensued.

But nowadays, we are nowhere near as good as the americans, we have hopefully a casual a week, thank god Carter is awesome, and our tournament scene is just about to pick up (finally).

If there was a Toronto tournament Smash 64 and Brawl, I wouldn't go. I just don't care enough about it. And NO ONE is willing to travel for smash 64 because

1. You can play it online with the best players anyhow.
2. Well, completely outdated game.
3. Who the hell cares.

Yes we all know Isai is god at the game.. but is there any other hype? **** no.

swordgard

Smash Hero

Uh, actually we were at the top of the metagame simply cause the metagame was really far from being at its top.

But yeah, il answer to all of these probably tonight lol.

SilverDoc~

Smash Lord
The discussion is completely straight forward people need to learn how to read.

Pownz can't host melee unless they get rid of s64 and sf4, and we already have a group of people who like the 2 games already in use.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Which means Pownz won't be an ECCSL event organizer until they manage to run it.

Which is the point all of us (including yourself) agree on.

That is pretty much it. Remember that ECCSL events are 2 days too.

Can anyone contact niko_K, hes not answering to me on msn >.< .

Razing_Zozo

Smash Cadet
The idea of this league is that it is for the Canadian Smash Comumunity, run by the Canadian Smash Community. Pownz is merely offering the ECCSL a venue for use. Our new centre upgrade will feature multiple Lagless flat screens and new systems. If we ran an ECCSL event, it would be up the the League to choose game play and types, the league would be using Pownz as a Venue.

Either way, I won't force the issue if the ECCSL does not want to have Pownz part of it. Our aim is to be the ultimate E-sport venue and as such we are dedicated to providing competitive to professional game play. If that is what the ESSCL is looking for then here we are. If your tribunal decides it is not in the leagues best interest to run events at Pownz, I think it would be denying itself a valuable resource.

Smashers, this is your centre. If you want to use it for skill driven, cash tourneys that are ultimately just friendlies, then that is what it will be used for. But if you want to have the skill and the cash and have it count for PR... then that too, is up to you.

We will be here for you either way.

Top Bottom