• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

ECCSL: East Coast Canada Smash League 2009-2010 (Updated!)

swordgard

Smash Hero
East Coast Canada Smash League 2009-2010

GENERAL INFORMATION

Tournament Organizers

Swordgard
Holynightmare
Ally
Kev!
And more(GTA people)!

We will probably asking for help to run melee tournaments and side events.

Canada's finest players are proud to present to you the opening event of the East Coast Canada Smash league. This league was created in an hope to unify the Eastern Canada region's smashing community together, whether it is brawl, melee (and maybe 64) and to expand our skill set. This is why in order to encourage participation, we will be using a ranking system based on tournaments placings. There will be multiple tournaments during the year to ensure constant skill and ranking progression . It is also done in the hope that more smashers will go to events in order to expand the range of our community scene. Most if not all of these events should be 2 days event, with the final being hopefully a 3 day event. Side events will be held in each tournaments, ranging from crews and low tiers to Brawl+ and street fighter events. In order to guarantee a successful year finale, we will be taking a certain amount of money from the pot of each tournament to serve as a base pot for the final event. The top 8 12 in the league's rankings will get direct access to the 32 man brackets of the league's closing event. They will also get first seeds.

The opening event will be conducted as a test for the new rule set being developed by the Montreal players to balance the meta game. These include the unbanning of stages that were banned either only because of general distaste or because of apparent problems which could have been solved simply. More bans were also allowed in order to compensate for the lack of any good counterpick stages other than neutrals for ground based characters . In order to compensate for the higher number of stages, 2 bans will however be allowed per set. We will also be introducing the 56 ledge grab rules in order to be proactive against planking even if it is not a problem in Canada currently. We will also be making slight modifications to the counterpick system in order to make character counterpicking more viable and akin to the system in melee. This is also done in order to balance for the fact that some characters have counterpicks which are very powerful while others don't. CP system was dropped due to popular demand.

Schedule:

Exhibition event:Almost as Cool as Genesis, June 6th, Ontario

Opening Event:It's A trap! June 20th-21st, Quebec

ECCSL Event #2 :Only in Niagara: , July 25th-26th, Ontario

TBA

Closing Event: June 2010

The Pownz-ECCSL Ladder : In order to give a whole new dimension to this project, ECCSL has contacted Pownz, who has accepted to create a common ladder with ECCSL. This will mean that a decent amount of Pownz tourneys will directly contribute to this ladder. The details have yet to be confirmed, but be prepared for some hype for the biggest Canadian Ladder as of to date. More details on this soon.Dropped by popular demand. Is replaced by normal ladder.

The ECCSL Ladder : This ladder was created as an incentive to get people to go to more tournaments and is based on the rankings of the people in the ECCSL events. The ranking system is explained at the bottom of the post.

Exhibition Events: These events, while not being held by ECCSL hosts themselves, will still count towards the ladder. These events may be held either during the official League or before it starts and may have slightly different rules from the one of ECCSL tournaments. These events will also not take 10% out of their pot to go towards the League's year finale. Due to these lowered requirements, these tourneys will only count for 50% of their original worth in points for the ladder.

Streaming and recording : The current location for the first event has no streaming available, we will be looking into a solution shortly to find a way around this. All of the bracket matches from winner semi-finals will be recorded either using an hacked wii or a recording device. These will then be uploaded to the youtube account of the circuit which shall be up shortly. The circuit will also be innovating by being the first circuit to allow HD replays of the matches recorded using replays transferred to an emulated wii when the new version with SD possibilities is out.

Prizes:
- Singles and Doubles: 55%/25%/10%/15$ split for 1st, 2nd 3rd and 4th.

-10%-15$ will go into the pot for the league's championship event.

The ranking system:

Due to the flawed nature of static scale ranking, we have opted to use a dynamic scale ranking. This means that not every event will be worth the same amount of points depending on the attendance. This is mainly due to the fact that some tournament's average skill level is considerably higher due to the large amount of people being present. The total amount of points available in each event for each tournament will be 10 times the amount of people that attended. This means that for singles, if 30 people showed up, the total amount of points being distributed will be equal to 300. These points will be then distributed using a percentage system in order to make this new system viable. This system also makes it so that the difference between the 1st and 2nd place is a gap which is large enough to be worth placing first, but small enough so that it allows you to make a comeback if you are getting 2nd often enough while rewarding consistency. In order to reward players doing good in both singles and doubles, even if each ranking is separate, you will be gaining 20% of the points you gained in an event from another ranking. This means that for example, placing third in a singles event with 10 people will give you 15 points in the singles ranking, with an additional 3 points in the doubles ranking.

Points awards:

1st place: 40%
2nd place: 25%
3rd place: 15%
4th place: 7.5%
5th place: 3.75% each
7th place: 2.5 % each

Crews will also be held at tourneys whenever possible, and appropriate rewards in points will be given depending on attendance. These points will be added to your singles ranking.

Current standings

First is the rank, then the tag followed by the number of points accumulated.

Brawl Singles:
Position Tag Number of points
1st Holynightmare 176
2nd Kingace 123
3rd Swordgard 85
4th Ally 78
5th Chester 32
6th Doc 23
7th Buenob 16
8th Ambrose 14
8th Nickcam 14
10th Joe 13
11th Thatguy 11
12th Dom 8
13th Stroumbert 8
14th Steb 6

Melee Singles:

Melee Doubles:

Contact Info:

Swordgard -Aim: Swordgard -Msn: driztd at hotmail dot com

Youtube: ECCSmashLeague

Gmail: ECCSmashLeague at gmail dot com

Ustream: ECCSmashLeague

Google Calendar: ECCSmashLeague

BentoBox

Smash Master
In the event that the person who lost counterpicks a neutral stage, the winner will not get the chance to change character and the loser still will.
So a good DK would be forced into losing his 2nd match if he is to win the first round...

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Don't like the new CP system, don't think it's necessary. Other than that, good **** :p.

Also just a thought... would be pretty sick if we could find a venue like at a halfway point between Toronto and Montreal, we may get a larger attendance that way. There any smashers that live halfway between montreal and toronto? :p

swordgard

Smash Hero
So a good DK would be forced into losing his 2nd match if he is to win the first round...
And then you could go falco and gay him on BF, what goes around comes around. And infinites arent free win, even with d3, cause of hitstun decay >.>

Agora

Smash Journeyman
Now that I think about it... I guess it does give for a lot of situations in the 2nd match with really bad match-ups for the winner of the first round.

At worst it can be given a try and evolve as it goes.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lets put it this way, in the normal counterpick system, you wouldnt even know hes going say d3 if your DK because you would have chosen before him.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Lets put it this way, in the normal counterpick system, you wouldnt even know hes going say d3 if your DK because you would have chosen before him.
Yeah, that's a risk that comes with double blinds and everybody is aware of that, but for some players, especially coming from the same scene, it isn't all too hard to figure out who your opponent is going to pick~

And then you could go falco and gay him on BF, what goes around comes around. And infinites arent free win, even with d3, cause of hitstun decay >.>
Regardless, I don't exactly understand why you would want tournament play to encourage teh gay. I mean, I don't even main DK/Bowser/etc but to know that you risk losing your 2nd match by default because your character happens to have a really bad match-up...? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a secondary? Seeing as there's a 50/50 chance you won't get to whip him out when you'd want to... Am I to start toying around with characters that have infinites on a select few? =/ i.e ZSS for Holy.

swordgard

Smash Hero
And then you can CP him with a different char on a neutral to wreck him, it goes both ways and actually encourages being proefficient with many chars to be able to counter like with d3 vs DK and also to be proefficient vs many characters. Its called stepping the game up! Its definitly not a 90-10 matchups like the boards make em out to be anyways.

Runawayfire

Smash Lord
The traditional CP system has been awesome for a long time. Why is there even the need to mess with it? The second you do, you just create more new flaws then you originally intended to fix.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not for the counterpick system, and I doubt a lot of the tournament organizers outside the 'league' are going to want to adopt their rules to the league standards.

"C"let

Smash Journeyman
now after thinking of it the new counterpick system isn't that great, I play wolf so let's say in game1 I lost to a D3 and in game2 I counterpick brinstar and beat D3 so game3 he can just use the new CP system and pick FD and chaingrabs me all over the stage, this way I lost the advantage of having pikachu as a secondary which I did for a match up like this clearly

The traditional CP system has been awesome for a long time. Why is there even the need to mess with it? The second you do, you just create more new flaws then you originally intended to fix.

Unsurprisingly, I'm not for the counterpick system, and I doubt a lot of the tournament organizers outside the 'league' are going to want to adopt their rules to the league standards.
I like you sig nate!!

Divinokage

Smash Legend
The new CP system does not work with smash simply because there are level advantages in which all the other fighting games do not. Allowing a counter pick character with the winner allows the player to lessen the disavantage he gets with a stage.

It's like if someone counterpicked corneria vs me, Im ****ed for sure. The only way I could win is if I chose a different character. There's no balance at all with the new system, it's you get ****ed, I get ****ed. Which is bs, you need to have a fighting chance on a stage.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The new CP system does not work with smash simply because there are level advantages in which all the other fighting games do not. Allowing a counter pick character with the winner allows the player to lessen the disavantage he gets with a stage.

It's like if someone counterpicked corneria vs me, Im ****ed for sure. The only way I could win is if I chose a different character. There's no balance at all with the new system, it's you get ****ed, I get ****ed. Which is bs, you need to have a fighting chance on a stage.
Frankly, why could you not simply ban FD since it seems to be the only stage where people dont wanna play with the new CP system. You can still switch if its not neutral, so your example does not apply. Oh and last of all, corneria is far from having any auto win infinites, so if you get ****ed cause of that, its your fault. I proved it 2 days ago again to illiad cause he too was sceptical. Oh and clet, why would you not go pika to CP him on 2nd match if your gonna **** him up anyways, it would be bad to take the risk to go wolf. Also, you can still easily ban FD because you have 3 bans since you know your prone to being cped there, the cp system adds into strategic character decisions.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=232300 this is the place to argue about the CP system, the decision shall be made depending on the comments from people. Anything related to this shall be posted there, now onto more ECCSL things.

I got a partnership with pownz to make a common ladder with them, also talked to alot of GTA people who would be willing to host tourneys at some point for the league.

kr3wman

Smash Master
If you use that swordgard for a tournament I'll probably go Meta Knight because I would need to.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Alright, due to some very hard matchups for some characters regardless of the actual stage being played, il remove that CP system later tonight (HW ftl :( ) Il also switch anything else which seems justified and canadians want to have removed/replaced. Expect 1st event on june 20-21st. Will include some meleez, and if we have time brawl+

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Lol counting Pownz MONTHLIES where Ambrose, Percon, and Nickcam are on the same side of the bracket over ones hosted by smashers, awesome.

I love you Pownz, don't take this as an attack lol, there are just better tournaments to count towards this than monthlies where our best players have to knock each other into loser's bracket.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Lol counting Pownz MONTHLIES where Ambrose, Percon, and Nickcam are on the same side of the bracket over ones hosted by smashers, awesome.

I love you Pownz, don't take this as an attack lol, there are just better tournaments to count towards this than monthlies where our best players have to knock each other into loser's bracket.

What do you mean they are on the same side of the brackets??? And sorry, i just couldnt count your event because i want the opening event to be the one in june >.<

swordgard

Smash Hero
Well, let us make this clear. Pownz is not a part of ECCSL, nor is ECCSL a part of Pownz. We are simply making a common ladder to encourage people to go to more events, whether it is ECCSL or Pownz events. Due to the high amount of Pownz event, not every Pownz event will count towards the ladder in order for the ladder to remain fair to people farther from pownz centres.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I don't care that you didn't want my event first, but what I'm saying is use unbiased tournaments instead of ones that just seed randomly. Pownz should have 0 tournaments counted towards this

swordgard

Smash Hero
Mikey, get on aim, we need to talk.

Oh and thanks for the input guys. What you have to first understand is that i am not familiar with the GTA scene, and therefore criticism helps alot. Also, this league was made by Players for Players, meaning that if you guys want this to be a success, give as much feedback as possible so i can adjust whatever is bad and if you have any suggestions they are welcome :)

Iliad

Smash Lord
Mikey. Pownz seeds like this:

Assuming pools take the top 4 out of it. 1st in the pool will face 4th in another pool, 2nd will face 3rd in another pool etc etc. It's designed so the top players DON'T face each other right away, infact, it helps weed out the weaker players so the later brackets are better matches.

If you expect Pownz to hand pick and customize where certain matches should be so that the "good" players don't play each other immediately... THAT is biased.

Mikey, you've never been to a pownz tourney before, have you? I think you should get your own perspective first, rather than taking it from disgruntled players who got unlucky in their seed because:
A) they sandbagged just enough to make it through their pools.
B) they just happened to be placed nearby another top player due to the rank in pools.

Gichan

Smash Champion
Mikey. Pownz seeds like this:

Assuming pools take the top 4 out of it. 1st in the pool will face 4th in another pool, 2nd will face 3rd in another pool etc etc. It's designed so the top players DON'T face each other right away, infact, it helps weed out the weaker players so the later brackets are better matches.

If you expect Pownz to hand pick and customize where certain matches should be so that the "good" players don't play each other immediately... THAT is biased.

Mikey, you've never been to a pownz tourney before, have you? I think you should get your own perspective first, rather than taking it from disgruntled players who got unlucky in their seed because:
A) they sandbagged just enough to make it through their pools.
B) they just happened to be placed nearby another top player due to the rank in pools.
This is a great post. It's good to see another perspective on things, unfortunately I think that there is something about seeding better players on opposite sides of brackets, don't know why but that seems to be the case.

I assume it is so that "weaker" players do not get such a high placing when there are amazing players attending. Too lazy to elaborate right now, but you get the point.

Top Bottom