• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

East Coast Elites May Results!

AmKhokar

Smash Journeyman
Project M Singles
1. Milkman :fox:
2. Mai-Kun :marthmelee:
3. Loaf :falcon: :falcomelee:
4. E2xD :link2:
5. Oasys :marthmelee: :falcon: :pikachu2:
5. Serb
7. QWA :ike:
7. AMK :jigglypuff: :falcomelee:
9. Nick Hazard
9. Hunter
9. Frodo
9. Saber :squirtle:
13. The_Doug
13. MLR

Melee Singles
1. Cyrain :falcomelee:
2. Milkman :fox:
3. The_Doug
4. JU4N
5. Emma Watson's BF
5. Isra
7. Mai-Kun :marthmelee:
7. Nick Hazard
9. Cutlass
9. Saber :sheikmelee: :pikachu:
9. Serb
9. Frodo
13. Poptart
13. Rem
13. Foxie
13. Oasys :marthmelee: :falconmelee:
17. E2xD :linkmelee::younglinkmelee:
17. QWA :fox: :sheikmelee:
17. Hunter

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts! :) Arguably my favorite part! Lmao. Lots of 'em today! Plenty new faces, which is always good to see ^^

I main Marth/Falcon in Melee, and P:M is Marth, Falcon, a baby pika.

Khokar: As usual dude, was great. Mad fun. A little disappointed about the no doubles, but that wasn't anyone's fault. GGs in P:M! Glad to see you picking it and melee up ^^ Keep it up!
RVA: Goooood shiiiiiit ;)
Milkman: Gah you're such a ho. Good stuff on that dollar though <3 Shoutouts to Milkshakes4Milkman.
Mai~kun: Good stuff today man! Lookin hella clean out there! ;P Soon to be among VA's finest! Keep it up :)
Loaf: Solid falcon! Gratz on 3rd in P:M. I don't think I got to play you though :/
E2xD: REALLY fun games man. That was such a good set :) I gotchu next time! :p Come out to these more often! They're really great ^^
Serb: Omg, how do not get dair'd? T_T I def need work on that mu xD. Good stuff in winners for sure :) Next time!
Qwa: Nice on 7th! If you actually start playing P:M, your Ike can be a real force soon! :)
Shoutouts to Qwa's subconscious for being RIDICULOUS xDDD. Also apparently my hair :p
Hunter: Our set was really good! Keep working on that falcon and coming out to tournies and it'll be a wrap in no time ^^
Saber: I don't think I got to play you! I hear your shiek is quite solid though :) Also, yes, I know, my hair da bess <3 xD
MLR: Good stuff on your first tourney, man! It's tough, but keep at it! You'll be there soon :)
Cyrain: Omfg, I didn't play you in tourney! :O xD, good work in melee and whatnot. Wish you coulda stayed for P:M(but not really, cuz then I woulda gotten bopped ;P)
Doug: Thanks a bunch for the friendlies/advice, man! I'll keep working on that mu for sure, and hopefully put up more of a fight next time :p
Ju4n: You're another one of those guys that's really good and I ALWAYS forget to play! :p Good work in melee, nice to see you again!
Emma Watson's BF: Shoutouts to the most ridiculous/best name at the tourney :p I hadn't known who you were prior, but I'll definitely remember you now! Really good Falcon, tore me up xD
Isra: Good work getting 5th, man! Nice to see you again too. We need to play some fighters sometime for sure :) Come out more often! It was fun playing you ^^
Nick: Nice on 7th, man! I hear you're improving :) Good work dude, keep it up!
Frodo: Really solid shiek! I wish I had played you more and later in the day, but good work nonetheless.
Rem: Damn dude, what happened? D: You were mad tired though, so no worries. I only played you once today :/ Still, good work. Wish you coulda stuck around longer.
Everyone else: Good stuff coming out! These are always really fun, and the amount of new faces was really pleasing. GGs to everyone I played ^^

Offtopic-ish, SoVa! RVA and y'all should totally fest more. Sorry we didn't end up making it back to Cyrain's, P:M actually took quite a while. Playing you guys is always fun ^^
Bubba: You owe me a set in friendlies! I need to learn the samus mu badd T_T

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Shout-outs:
Everyone from VA Beach: Lefties are awesome, come at me.
Frodo: Double Ice Climbers are the best team ever. Good job getting the reference 15 minutes after I made it ;)
JU4N: Mario too good.
Oasys: NEVER CUT YOUR HAIR SHORT, EVER. I enjoyed playing against you, you're always a really nice guy.
Serb: No friendlies :p
Milkman: Good matches in PM, I enjoyed that set. Next time you can have the 4th port.
E2xD: Did you know that Link is left-handed? :troll:

Thanks for hosting again, Ammad!

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
I main as [Red] Link (little bit of YL) in both Melee and P:M.

Shout-outs: (I wish I got to meet more of you guys there. I was a bit overwhelmed for this being my first major tournament.)
Oasys: You are the nicest dude I have ever met. We had some fantastic matches that kept me on my toes and on my projectiles :p I'll try to come and beat you up more now that you mention it. hehehe! (Never got our friendlies in).
Frodo: "insert character's name" IS BROKEN!
Saber: All the intimidation factors!
Milkman: You are such a somber dude and I totally respect your mad skills in Melee and Project M. I had a fantastic time playing those few friendlies with ya. Hope you liked the interesting damage counter.
Doug: I have slap marks from your Sheik still. I am calling social services for my Young Link because of you.
Cyrain: It would be an honor to play you next time but I might actually regret this decision.
QWA: *facepalm* Lefties are of the devil. Except those from the land of Hyrule.
Poptart: You put up a great fight man. You got me fair and square, odd deaths or not.
Edit: Mai-Kun :p : Great to meet you and damn man, I will have you next time! :D Your androgynous princess played quite well :p Hope to see you in future tournaments. :D
Loaf: WHAT DO YOU HAVE AGAINST MY LINKS?! Haha! Had a great time man during and after the tourney. It was a pleasure to meet you. :D
QWA [again]: I enjoyed the Link doubles. Glad to see another good link player out there.

Again, I wish I got to meet you all and play at some point. Next time I'll make it a point to do so.

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
Oh! And of course...
AmKhokar: Dude! Thank you again for hosting this fantastic experience. I had a blast!
*edit* Not Toon Link.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
I played Marth in both games.

Milkman: Shoutouts to peeing your pants.
Cyrain: Stay longer next time. :<
Oasys: Thanks for keeping me entertained on the drive home haha. :) Also good **** in PM! Not you have a goal to strive to beat haha.
Ammad: As always, thanks for TOing. :)
The_Doug: Next time, let's get a lot of friendlies in. I've only played you like once. >_>
Foxie: Keep up the work with your Falco! You've got a lot of potential.
Rem: Sorry that you were having an off day. :( It happens to everyone eventually. You just gotta forget and move on!
JU4N: Every time, I keep getting closer to defeating you. THE DAY WILL COME SOON!
Emma Watson's BF: I hope you come out to the next tournament! I want some revenge sauce. Your switch to Falco really threw me off haha.
Nick Hazard: Damn son, 7th?! We gotta play some friendlies next time. I wanna experience all this improvements you've been making!
QWA: You're one of the goofiest smashers out there LOL. Also, don't quit melee for PM simply because you did well in it today. Just keep playing both! By practicing with one game, I really believe that you get better at the other one just as much.
Serb: Keep working on that G&W! Your tricksies can seriously get lethal with some hard dedication.
Loaf: Good **** getting 3rd! Keep up the work with your Falcon!
Saber: Had fun with the friendlies and GGs in our tournament set. :)
Frodo: GGs in our matches! Next time let's to some Sheik dittos lolol. :)
E2xD: Hot damn, your Link was scary. I'm glad I got the chance to rematch you in losers lol. It seemed like every game we played in was decided from some stray last hit on the last stock; that's how close those were. I look forward to playing with you again at the next tournament. :)

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Milkman pissed his pants? xD
We went to eat lunch at cookout and he got a cup of water on the way out (with no lid). Then when I was getting back on the main road, the flow of cars was really steady and I had to make a quick turn which caused some water to spill out and it looked like he peed himself.

saber_dog

Smash Rookie
[First comment ever on Smash boards :3 ]

Main Shiek in Melee; secondary is Pikachu.
P:M - Squirtle. xD

@Oasys! I wish I could have played you. On our way back, E2XD and Frodo both expressed how solid a player you are and excellent sportsmanship you have. It's fun to play with people like you :D

Bess hair is duh bess. And one thing - when I first read your gamer tag in Melee, I thought the "O" was a "D" - so thought your tag meant "Daises." Herp :]

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
Lmao, funny enough, people at the lounge at my college call me that because they thought the same! :p And thankies mucho~ Come to the next one and we'll be sure to get some games in ^^

Edit: You guys should join the MD/VA melee group on fb! It's probably the best way to meet up with people to play and find out when events are and such.

saber_dog

Smash Rookie
More shout outs ~ :D

The_Doug - Great to see you again, man, and catch up with you! It was awesome playing P:M against your Wolf. Fantastic job in the Melee tournament! I was quite proud. Just wish could have gotten some more Melee in with ya :]

Milkman - An honor to be taken out of the winner's bracket by 2nd placeman :] I especially enjoyed playing against your Marth. GG.

Cyrain - You're a boss. Great chatting with you as we cheered for Doug, lol, awesome job in the tourney!

Loaf & MLR - Aftermath dinner was a lot of fun. Send me the link to that game you're working on :D.

Frodo & E2XD - Busch Gardens.

Mai-kun - Thanks for sticking around for those friendlies! Great job in the tourney; you definitely deserved to win and win grandly :D And thanks for the compliment of "You're the best girl I've ever played." Made me laugh.

Cutlass, Hunter, & "Pink Collar Guy" [Sorry I can't remember your tag :( ] - Teams with ya'll was a lot of fun, as were the singles. Again, Cutlass, you are a great teams player for never have done it before!

Serb - Your Mr.Game&Watch. I could strangle it! Haha. Only means you're doing a good job. So, GG!

QWA - You and lefties. Good God man. Haha. Fun playing you!

Seth - Nice meeting and playing you! Hilarious to think we traveled that far and met that way when we live very close to each other, ha.

Poptart - My first match up in an official tournament! :D That was exciting. Keep on keeping on, bro.

Rem - GG!

AMK - Thank you for organizing everything! Sorry I kept freaking out when Frodo and I were paired up, twice. Haha! It was because we play all the time and had a tourney back at college where he was first and I second [and E2XD was third]. So it was like we had a road trip just to play each other in another part of the state, lol.

Oasys - Lmao. You cannot escape it. @_@
Also, yeah, I was a part of that for a while, then left. Circumstances keep me from joining it again, but the game is still fun :] Thanks for the recommendation though!

Everyone - GREAT JOB (: Awesome for coming out, playing, and meeting all of you. Highly enjoyed it!

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
LOLLL CK the best you would have gotten here is 5th. I'm not going to let you talk **** until you back it up ONCE.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
QWA: You're one of the goofiest smashers out there LOL. Also, don't quit melee for PM simply because you did well in it today. Just keep playing both! By practicing with one game, I really believe that you get better at the other one just as much.
Goofy? How so? I don't plan on quitting Melee, by the way, I just plan on actually spending time practicing Project M now. You're lucky, you have the same main in both games, PM Sheik is impossible for me to use. Dem unnecessary nerfs. Ike's pretty fun, though, and I think he'll be more fun once I know what I'm doing.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Goofy? How so? I don't plan on quitting Melee, by the way, I just plan on actually spending time practicing Project M now. You're lucky, you have the same main in both games, PM Sheik is impossible for me to use. Dem unnecessary nerfs. Ike's pretty fun, though, and I think he'll be more fun once I know what I'm doing.
Sheik is still pretty good though. Her main difference is that she has the PAL down throw and that stupid wall hang thing that killed me.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is still pretty good though. Her main difference is that she has the PAL down throw and that stupid wall hang thing that killed me.
Her needles and chain don't eat through projectiles anymore. The PAL d-throw is a pretty significant nerf, though. She's definitely not as good of a character. I like how the characters ranked higher than her are relatively intact, and the characters below her were buffed. Completely fair.

E2xD

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, that wall hang was ridiculous :( Otherwise, I think even though she is nerfed, she is still a viable character.

Arcadia157

Smash Journeyman
Her needles and chain don't eat through projectiles anymore. The PAL d-throw is a pretty significant nerf, though. She's definitely not as good of a character. I like how the characters ranked higher than her are relatively intact, and the characters below her were buffed. Completely fair.
Her needles have eaten through plenty of my opponents projectiles lmao. Bombs, grenades, (maybe) even lasers.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Her needles have eaten through plenty of my opponents projectiles lmao. Bombs, grenades, (maybe) even lasers.
They aren't nearly as effective as they were. In Melee, they had hurtboxes, and because of this could eat through Samus' charge shot. They can't do things like that in Project M because the hurtboxes were removed.

You still haven't told me why I'm "one of the goofiest smashers out there."

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Sheik is about the same, or even better, in PM than Melee. A big reason is the new b-throw mixup which lets her throw combo into KO moves on fastfaller at high percent. Also, the PM metagame is overrun by floaties, semi-fastfallers, and combo food like Bowser which are Sheik's best matchups.

Cyrain

Smash Ace
Yo QWA did GF get recorded? And if so when will it be uploaded?

Shoutouts to Israphel for randomly coming to a tournament for the first time in god only knows how long and still doing pretty well.
Also Cory for beating my fox/marth in tournament and then losing to my sheik.

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Sheik is about the same, or even better, in PM than Melee. A big reason is the new b-throw mixup which lets her throw combo into KO moves on fastfaller at high percent. Also, the PM metagame is overrun by floaties, semi-fastfallers, and combo food like Bowser which are Sheik's best matchups.
Fine, I concede. It's definitely possible that the slightly different PM physics make her feel worse, when in reality I'm not used to it. I'm still playing Ike, though. He's much more fun than Sheik is. Speaking of which, Nintendude, what should one do while playing Ike? I had no idea what I was doing, and you have experience playing as him.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Fine, I concede. It's definitely possible that the slightly different PM physics make her feel worse, when in reality I'm not used to it. I'm still playing Ike, though. He's much more fun than Sheik is. Speaking of which, Nintendude, what should one do while playing Ike? I had no idea what I was doing, and you have experience playing as him.
The main thing is just take advantage of a basic forward-B mixup. You can forward-B with an attack (like, the actual forward-B attack) or just do it straight into a grab. They can't react to which option you will choose. Other than that just use Fair and f-tilt to make them respect your space and try to put them in bad situations. This can be combined with forward-B stuff for movement.At close range I like to spam jab as if I'm Peach but this can be CC'd.

Ike's punishes are pretty intuitive. His throws work a lot like other characters' throws in terms of DI and stuff. Try to tech chase people with Dair so you can get off guaranteed f-smashes.

Basically, playing Ike just comes down to pure fundamentals combined with some movement tricksies mostly revolving around his forward-B.

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
The main thing is just take advantage of a basic forward-B mixup. You can forward-B with an attack (like, the actual forward-B attack) or just do it straight into a grab. They can't react to which option you will choose. Other than that just use Fair and f-tilt to make them respect your space and try to put them in bad situations. This can be combined with forward-B stuff for movement.At close range I like to spam jab as if I'm Peach but this can be CC'd.

Ike's punishes are pretty intuitive. His throws work a lot like other characters' throws in terms of DI and stuff. Try to tech chase people with Dair so you can get off guaranteed f-smashes.

Basically, playing Ike just comes down to pure fundamentals combined with some movement tricksies mostly revolving around his forward-B.
Sorta. However, be sure to mix in tomahawks with your quickdraw, or instant air nairs or something. Spotdodge wrecks the qd/grab mixup. You can react to it by anticipating spacing.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
That all falls into the general category of "playing smart" which is kind of implied with the also broad category of "fundamentals"

QWA

Smash Apprentice
Yo QWA did GF get recorded? And if so when will it be uploaded?
Sorry, I didn't see that earlier. The recording cuts out for some reason (knowing my luck, right before GF), and I don't know what specific matches were recorded, but here's the recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rrZY6FGhHg&feature=youtu.be

Thank you, I shall begin practicing.

because you're a silly boy.
Thank you for continuing to be very vague.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Tracking back to that Sheik discussion, Sheik is still one of the top three best characters in the game. She absolutely destroys most of the cast. She got subtle buffs that most players aside from the most astute Melee/P:M Sheik players miss, buffs that override the one or two nerfs she got (nerfs that most players actually don't fully understand). P:M Sheik's dthrow is better than her PAL dthrow because it's angle is in between that of NTSC and PAL. PAL dthrow almost never works for anything outside of TCs unless the opponent DIs in like a maniac. P:M dthrow still combos reliably with most DIs. If you manage to DI dthrow well, then the newly sped up bthrow will combo you. This allows Sheik to CG a lot of chars with BOTH dthrow and bthrow, depending on DI.

Another subtle buff that most people don't know about? The KBG of fsmash was changed to turn it into a combo tool. It combo'd me into fair once before at around 100%, so I double-checked and lo and behold, the move was made weaker which actually makes it BETTER. In Melee, the move was simply useless for anything outside of damage racking; it was too strong to combo and too weak to kill. Now it gives Sheik another interesting combo option at high %'s when most other things won't work.

There's obviously the fact that Sheik can't reliably be CP'd because of a safe transformation to Zelda. In addition, as unused to it as most people are, the wall CLING is a godly buff. This brings her gimping and edgeguarding game to insane heights. In addition, it lets her more easily turn around offstage. Wall clingers get three options out of cling (drop down, let go, and wall jump) as opposed to the wall jumpers, who can only jump. Being able to CRAWL is also a really good buff as is the ability to B-reverse and RBR her needle charge.

The most important thing is that Melee Sheik is still mostly intact. In other words, she still has all the cheap crap that made her so stupid before. IMO, she still seriously contends for the spot of one of the best chars in the game if not THE best char.

#SheikRant

Oasys17

Smash Apprentice
I talked to jcaeser/cmart at length about it at zenith cuz rem asked about it. They said that now, because of how fast the new downthrow is, if you DI down/away from it(like you're supposed to) if instead the shiek chooses to BACKthrow you, you can get combo'd HARD. And since they're both hella fast, it's near impossible to like properly DI out of either. Just use backthrow more often than in melee. :p

Top Bottom