• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dungeon Crawler from the Future - Grovyle Support Thread

Would you want Grovyle in the next smash?

• Total voters

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Just found out about the greatness that is this thread.

Yes. Please.

Sooooo much better than Sceptile dragging that log of a tail around. Grovyle is also one of my favorite pokemon of all time.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Greninja clone.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Sounds kinda epic, but NOOOOOOOO!!!
He needs to be unique.

----
Well, maybe he could have a couple different specials?

Shadow sneak doesn't make sense for grovyle. Maybe replace it with dig?

Maybe some of his taunts could represent PMD...

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Grovyle's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Grovyle's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Zoner, Speedster, or Juggler seem the most likely in my opinion, but I'm not an expert on these things. if you read the pre made movesets you can get a pretty good idea.

Maybe a hybrid of all three relying mostly on the lattermost?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I support this guy because he is one of the many reasons that PMD: EoS is one of, if not my favorite game of all time. A fast character who represents my favorite spinoff series ever, and bringing awesome music from said franchise? Yes please. He could use items such as the Luminous Orb from that cutscene and have a unique move in Dig, and use other things that make this franchise so great.

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
I support this guy because he is one of the many reasons that PMD: EoS is one of, if not my favorite game of all time. A fast character who represents my favorite spinoff series ever, and bringing awesome music from said franchise? Yes please. He could use items such as the Luminous Orb from that cutscene and have a unique move in Dig, and use other things that make this franchise so great.
Never thought this thread would start moving again... welcome to the dustiest thread here. We haven't done anything in about a month. We really should have SOMTHING to talk abut right? Maybe Pikachu can get us moving again?

D

Deleted member

Never thought this thread would start moving again... welcome to the dustiest thread here. We haven't done anything in about a month. We really should have SOMTHING to talk abut right? Maybe Pikachu can get us moving again?
Well, about the type trio [I support Grovyle and Sceptile XD] an argument could be made that because Grovyle and Ivysaur are both Middle Evos of Grass starters, Grovyle could replace Ivysaur.

However, the biggest thing Grovyle has over Sceptile is uniqueness. Grovyle can do pretty much everything Sceptile can [such as use nature moves and summon plants], AND add some stuff in from PMD. His default moveset could be his specials- Quick Attack Up B Pikachu clone, Side B a strong Leaf Blade hit, Neutral B Absorb similar to Nosferatu, and a Down B in Dig which could be insanely unique. On the other hand, Absorb could be a grab and Leaf Blade used for various neutral game attacks, with a new neutral and side b taken from things exclusive to PMD. Such could be a Luminous Orb he uses once to give fighters a Deku Nut effect, or he could use Energy Ball from the anime special. Various throwing items such as Geo Pebbles and Iron Thorn clones could be used for an oddballl moveset like Mega Man's. If Sakurai wanted to give Grovyle things he is related to but not things he actually does, a Dimensional Hole special move that stays around the field like Villager's tree might be used to trap opponents and hurl them out. Grovyle could take out a Treasure Bag and hurl Stun/Blast seeds. Oddball orbs could be implemented to warp around like a trickster or spawn items. And last but not least, Grovyle could stop time with the time gears. This is an obvious Final Smash, but it could be more. Grovyle could use one to stop time in a small area, giving said area a timer effect for a short bit. All in all he seems like a unique fighter.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I would love to see some Mystery Dungeon representation in Smash 4. If Grovyle is a newcomer do you guys think he should have a voice actor?

Thereallucario

Smash Journeyman
Actually I thought of a way that he could stand a fair chance of getting in. Assuming that pmd is the best spinoff game then there could be the option of a spinoff character that reps its own game while still being part of its own series. So technically there could still be a chance for him even if we get five or maybe six. I call this the "spinoff clause" .

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Actually I thought of a way that he could stand a fair chance of getting in. Assuming that pmd is the best spinoff game then there could be the option of a spinoff character that reps its own game while still being part of its own series. So technically there could still be a chance for him even if we get five or maybe six. I call this the "spinoff clause" .
Hey, it worked for Dr. Mario! :D

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Heh, but unfortunately he was very short lived. More so I was referring to Yoshi, who TECNICALY is a Mario character but stared in his own game. In a way grovyle is the same.
Don't think it will ever work like Yoshi. Or wario. The games aren't just well known enough.

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
I would love to see some Mystery Dungeon representation in Smash 4. If Grovyle is a newcomer do you guys think he should have a voice actor?
Of course! They talk in the PMD games. They may just be speaking "Pokemonese" or something and the game translates it for us, but Smash is non-canon, so it shouldn't matter.

Grovyle's English voice would be Dan Green, since he voiced Grovyle in the dubbed anime specials for PMD2.
Japanese voice would be Masaki Terasoma; same as above.

----

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Of course! They talk in the PMD games. They may just be speaking "Pokemonese" or something and the game translates it for us, but Smash is non-canon, so it shouldn't matter.

Grovyle's English voice would be Dan Green, since he voiced Grovyle in the dubbed anime specials for PMD2.
Japanese voice would be Masaki Terasoma; same as above.

----
That's true. It would just be great for the spin off pokemon games to get some love in smash bros. I don't remember if there was at least a mystery dungeon sticker in Brawl or not. and maybe Grovyle could inherit some moves from Ivysaur?

Last edited:

Rebellious Treecko

Smash Hero
Heeeeeeeeey, the threads are unlocked.
So...uh, Grovyle 'n stuff.

Made this a month ago. Pose and rigging is kinda bad and the legs suck. Oh well.
z33.png

Sad that there likely won't be any PMD trophies or music tracks in the WiiU version. I imagine it'll only be main Pokemon stuff.

----

Last edited:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Heeeeeeeeey, the threads are unlocked.
So...uh, Grovyle 'n stuff.

Made this a month ago. Pose and rigging is kinda bad and the legs suck. Oh well.
View attachment 28108
Sad that there likely won't be any PMD trophies or music tracks in the WiiU version. I imagine it'll only be main Pokemon stuff.

----
That's amazing! lol

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
I voted for this guy. Man, I loved Explorers of Time and Darkness. Chances aren't all that high, but I'm at the very least proud that I casted my vote for an awesome character!

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
I am starting to believe that Grovyle is really the only Pokemon character left that has any sort of chance. And that is mostly because of the concept of a Pokemon spinoff rep.
Ivysaur and Squirtle still have a solid number of supporters- though I'm talking about other sites since I haven't spent as much time here as I have the others. Sceptile's name has also been tossed around to complete the starter trio of fire, water, and grass. But in the end they would just be MORE pokemon reps, which can seem kinda like overrepping. I do agree with you-. Grovyle's got the spin-off thing going for him, and I sincerely hope that's a good increase in chance!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i support Grovyle from PMD i really loved that game too much he is my 2nd most wanted character from pokemon seires
Grovyle from PMD is way better than a random sceptile with no story
it's funny how I started to play the game as giratina origin form and my partner was shaymin sky form I hacked the game because I don't want to start the game as a baby Pokemon but it was too fun

Last edited:

Nidoking13

Smash Rookie
Grovyle would be a great character to add because the mystery dungeon series has extremely under represented in smash bros.

Duke27

Centurion
NNID
DukeCrimson27
3DS FC
3368-2844-0762
Grovyle would be a great character to add because the mystery dungeon series has extremely under represented in smash bros.
I'm not sure that it has any representation period. Can't recall any trophies or anything. In which case- Yes, it's extremely under represented! Keep the votes coming guys :D

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
Treecko's evolutionary line is my favorite in Gen 3 and my starter in ORAS. Grovyle just happens to be my favorite part of the line (Treecko's line is kind of unique for a starter in that it's middle evolution is its most popular, it's usually the first or last form for starters and the middle ones are usually forgotten)

While Sceptile is being bandwagoned around mostly because he is the final form of its line, Grovyle still fits the "completes starter trifecta with Grass and is from Gen 3, most recent gen with ORAS" while also being a star in the PMD games, bringing moveset potential that originated in a video game YET does not take exclusively from mainline Pokemon moves.

I am in support of Sceptile but I'd be just as supportive if not more for Grovyle.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I always thought Grovyle would be the perfect finisher to the Pokemon roster. It has credit as a character of it's own importance a la Mystery Dungeons, which is more than many other supported pokemon can bring to the table. Plus the design of Grovyle makes it pretty easy to work with as opposed to a quadruped like Ivysaur. And then he has all kinds of moveset potential using leaf attacks and Mystery Dungeon references. I like the idea of Grovyle had Bullet Seed as a chargable projectile like Sheik's needles that it could hold onto after they charged. It'd be nice to have a character with a projectile that challenged needles. And for personal reasons, I just like Grovyle. After it's appearance in Mystery Dungeons, I loved it. Mystery Dungeons is one of my favorite series and Grovyle would be a great representative of that and it'd finish the starter triangle. Grovyle has my complete support! :D

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
I always thought Grovyle would be the perfect finisher to the Pokemon roster. It has credit as a character of it's own importance a la Mystery Dungeons, which is more than many other supported pokemon can bring to the table. Plus the design of Grovyle makes it pretty easy to work with as opposed to a quadruped like Ivysaur. And then he has all kinds of moveset potential using leaf attacks and Mystery Dungeon references. I like the idea of Grovyle had Bullet Seed as a chargable projectile like Sheik's needles that it could hold onto after they charged. It'd be nice to have a character with a projectile that challenged needles. And for personal reasons, I just like Grovyle. After it's appearance in Mystery Dungeons, I loved it. Mystery Dungeons is one of my favorite series and Grovyle would be a great representative of that and it'd finish the starter triangle. Grovyle has my complete support! :D
You know, after Meowth.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
You know, after Meowth.
Grovyle reps the Mystery Dungeon series, finishes the starter triangle, and reps gen 3. All new stuff. Meowth shares gen 1 with Pika, Zard, Mewtwo, and Jiggs, shares the representation of the show with Jiggs, and is just a normal type, just like Jiggs. I love Meowth, but he doesn't have much on Grovyle as far as filling a hole goes.

POKEMANSPIKA

Smash Master
NNID
POKEMANSPIKA
Grovyle reps the Mystery Dungeon series, finishes the starter triangle, and reps gen 3. All new stuff. Meowth shares gen 1 with Pika, Zard, Mewtwo, and Jiggs, shares the representation of the show with Jiggs, and is just a normal type, just like Jiggs. I love Meowth, but he doesn't have much on Grovyle as far as filling a hole goes.
Meowth is still da best!

Cool Typhlosion

Smash Apprentice
The artwork from Pokémon conquest. I'm not sure if we need it here but its here. I also have a stage idea

Temporal Tower

the stage is on the tower. Its layout is similar to the top of Spear pillar from brawl. the only difference is that in the middle there is a 3rd moving platform. About 45 seconds in Primal Dialga appears. It has 4 potential attacks

Roar of time: Slows down time for 5 seconds.
Draceo meteor : 2 meteors fall down on the 2 side floating platforms dealing out 25 damage
Metal claw : It slashes in front of it twice. Each slash does 19 damage
Antient power: It takes 2 pillars from the tower and slams them on the battlefield. after a second they fall down on anyone below dealing 23 damage. similar to the Yellow devil if it takes to much damage it dies and gives the one who dished out the final blow a Free stock in stock mode/ K.O.in time mode. The music for the stage on the 3DS version of the stage is Primal Dialga theme and Dragnor theme (Conquest) The Wii u one has those two plus the Guild theme (Explorers). Mystery duengeon melody (All the games) Terraria theme (conquest) Ledgendary pokemon theme (Shuffle) And Zinnia's theme (ORAS) It works in 8 player smash but Dialga doesn't appear. It can be the stage in All star mode with the 2001-2006 fighters. It comes with Grovyle like Ryu and Szuku castle. Let me know if I forgot anything.

Top Bottom