• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dungeon Crawler from the Future - Grovyle Support Thread

Would you want Grovyle in the next smash?

• Total voters

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Note - this thread is mainly supporting the specific Grovyle from Pokemon mystery dungeons: time, darkness, and especially sky. If unfamiliar with this character, I recommend playing PMD: sky for a better understanding.

THE GROVYLE SUPPORT THREAD

I created this thread to support a character from Pokemon mystery dungeon and Grovyle fit the bill. think of it like the "Paper Mario" of Pokemon (both popular characters from spin offs).

Major Appearances:
in PMD Grovyle first appears as a bad guy trying to take over the world by stealing time gears that stop the flow of time, and you will do anything to stop him. later though, you find out he's good (also from the future) and helps you defeat the REAL villain of the game, Dialga. there is also a seprate story mode in sky where you control grovyle, but there isn't anything from it added to his possible moveset. (trying to avoid major spoilers to the game, you're welcome)

one of the title menus of explorers of time featuring Grovyle.
In Ruby Sapphire and Emerald he is the second evolution of the Grass starter, Treecko, and has the same moves and abilities as he does in PMD. other than being controlled by a trainer, there isn't much different from these two appearances.

Grovyle, the Hero of the Future

{SPOILER ALERT}
Grovyle was once framed for attempting to stop time, and was wrongly considered a villain due to Dusknoir's trickery. Grovyle found himself alongside the player and their partner in a Ruined Future, where time is no more. Together, they broke out of Dusknoir's dungeon and fled to find Celebi in an attempt to send the trio back to the past so that they may use the Time Gears to stop Primal Dialga, the true baddie. Grovyle, unfortunately, was not able to help the player and the partner reach Dialga, as he was forced to bring a desperate Dusknoir back to the future.
With that, the future is saved. With the blessing of a being higher than even Dialga, he, Dusknoir, and Celebi are allowed to live peacefully in the good future.

Movesets
[collapse= legendofrob1's moveset]
Smash Attacks:
up: strikes up using his claws, attacks twice before launching.
side: uses his arm leaves to attack close range. nothing too special here.
down: Grovyle spins on the ground, his arm leaves and tail extended and both hit on each side.

Specials:
up: Quick Attack - Grovyle gets a short bust of momentum in one of 8 directions.
side: Absorb - Grovyle uses an attack that is close range, with little knockback but heals 20% of damage that is given.
neutral: Bullet Seed - Grovyle shoots 1-5 seeds. they travel about as fast as Samus' charge shot but have bad charge-up rate
down: dig - If standing on the ground, Grovyle digs beneath the ground, moves very slowly but does large amounts of damage upon popup. can be hit by moves such as DK's ground pound and the Yoshi bomb.

Final Smash: could be one of the two mentioned
Leaf Blade - Grovyle rushes forward and does three fatal blows. fast so they are fast, but slow enough that they can bee seen.
Time Gear - short scene of Grovyle taking a time gear, then everything but Grovyle becomes black and white. only Grovyle could move for about 10 seconds, enough time for Grovyle to land a finishing blow on at least one player.

[/collapse]
[collapse=KingShadow's Moveset]

Muh move set (Just specials)Neutral: Absorb: Does about 4% of damage. Heals about 2% of damage.Side: Leaf Blade: On ground, it's like Marth's Side B. In the air, it's like Meta Knight's Neutral aerial.Up: Pursuit: Like Diddy's Side B, only upwards. If the foe is facing the other way, it does about double damage.Down: Solarbeam: A lot of lag, but very deadly. On brighter levels, the lag doesn't have as much lag.[/collapse]
[collapse=Fastblade5035's Moveset]
A – Grovyle swipes with his blades. It's not the fastest, but it can easily be cancelled into another move.
AA – Grovyle swipes again with his other blades. This one is much faster, and is preferable for grab combos.

SideA – Similar to Meta Knights sideA, this move is a combo in itself. Grovyle swipes quickly to the left, then turns around while swinging his tail, then ends with a sideways kick.

UpA – Grovyle thrusts his claws in the air. Lasts longer than Wario's UpA, but it's weaker.

DownA – Grovyle swings at the ground with his tail. It's a meteor smash regardless of the angle in which it hits.

“Giga Drain” B – Grovyle raises his arms and absorbs some HP from his opponent. It operates similarly to Din's Fire. The longer you hold it out, the further the Drain is. Grovyle may also only absorb HP if he takes damage beforehand. Ex. Mario smashes Grovyle, dealing 13 damage. Grovyle uses Giga Drain, healing himself half of the damage (6 hp)

“Bullet Seed” Side B – Grovyle hones onto his opponent and fires a total of 10 seeds, similar to Sheik's needles.

“Stun Seed” DownB – Grovyle places a Stun Seed on the ground. Anyone who steps on it is temporarily stunned. It acts as a nerfed Deku Nut.
“Warp Orb” UpB – Grovyle tosses a Warp Orb skyward. Once it reaches it's maximum height, it dissappears, and Grovyle warps to it's location. It can also be tossed left and right.

UpAir – Grovyle waves with his right arms, attacking with his blades that blow in the wind. Good range and lasts fairly long, but it makes for a laggy landing.

ForwardAir – Grovyles kicks forward. Similar to Wario's FA, but faster and stronger. It also cancels out momentum.

Nair – Grovyle spins quickly, utilizing his multiple blades.

Dair – Grovyle shoves his feet down. It is similar to Meteor Smashes in 64, as it lasts longer than usual.

Grab – Grovyle stabs forward with his leaf blades.

UpThrow – Grovyle tosses his opponent upward with a single hand.

DownThrow – Grovyle chucks his opponent under him and jumps on them.

ForwardThrow – Grovyle lets go briefly, then tosses a right hook.

Zair – Grovyle extends his adventure pouch. It is similar to Links Clawshot. It only hits once.

Speed – 8.5/10
Grovyle is very quick, and even though he is fast on Earth, he's far more agile in the air.

Strength – 6.75
Grovyle is one of the strongest fast characters, but still falls shot to Captain Falcon and Marth.

Weight – 5.75
Grovyle is slightly heavier than mid. Despite this, he's not much heavier than Mario.

Weaknesses – Fire and Wind elements

Strong against – Water elements (Squirtle, Mario with F.L.U.D.D.,)

FINAL SMASH:
The Time Gears

Grovyle takes out the Time Gears from his pouch, and lets them out heroically. They line up around the stage, and stop time. Here's the gimmick;
-Time will run out after 15 seconds
-Grovyle can collect a Gear to restore 3 seconds.
-Grovyle gets weaker with every gear he obtains
-If Grovyle somehow dies or loses a stock during this time, the FS automatically ends.
[/collapse]
Stage Entrance- Groyvle comes through a portal from the future.
[collapse=RebelliousTreecko's Moveset, Via a deviantart comment on a pic of mine]
Anyway, here's a simple moveset I thought up for him a few months back:

Entrance 1:
Grovyle somersaults out of a dimensional hole.
Entrance 2: Grovyle flashes onto the screen with hyper speed.
Entrance 3: Grovyle borrows out of the ground and strikes a fighting pose.

Taunt: Grovyle takes out a time gear and spins it on his hand. The gear sparkles and glows.

Forward smash: Grovyle uses Energy Ball. It has further range than most other smash attacks, but does less damage.
Up smash: Grovyle uses X-Scissor and backflips in place while slashing.
Down smash: Grovyle throws a Luminous orb down in front of him.

Standard B: Wonder Bag: (don't know what else to call it)
Grovyle does a quick animation where he reaches into his satchel and throws an item while spinning in place.

The projectiles are random and vary in rarity, like Peach's vegetables.
List of projectiles, from most common to rarest:

Geo Pebble
Slip Seed
Sleep Seed
Warp Seed
Gravelrock
Blast Seed
Plain Seed
Iron Thorn
Mr Saturn
Pitfall Seed
Smart Bomb
Golden Spike

Side B: Leaf Blade Similar to Dancing Blade and Double-Edge Dance.

Up B: Pursuit On the ground, it works like a counter, as in the PMD games. In the air, it shoots Grovyle upward in a black flash.

<Down B: Dig Grovyle claws underground, damaging those those are next to him.
While temporarily underground, he's immune to many attacks and can go through certain walls that are only above ground.
If he gets hit with a strong attack, he may end up buried and stuck.

If he uses Dig on a jump-through platform, he'll fall through it and damage those below him.

Final Smash: Time Reversal
Grovyle summons the shiny Celebi, and she turns back time on the battlefield for a while, reversing damage and effects.
[/collapse]
Other Stuff
[collapse=Model by RebelliousTreecko]

[/collapse]
Home Stages
[collapse=Hidden Land Clearing]
Hidden Land
a fairly straightforward stage. it has no edges. sometimes sableye could come out and attack.

[/collapse]
[collapse=Temporal Tower]
Temporal Tower

Temporal Tower is a transitioning stage that brings the fighters on a recreation of the original events that took place there. It starts of inside Dialga's Room, where Dialga will visciously watch everyone and ocasionaly fire out a Dragon Pulse at someone at random.

It will then transition to the Dungeon, where the tower is beginning to collapse.
(I know its not Temporal Tower Dungeon, but it will look like this.)
Finally, the fighters exit the tower and fight on the pathway to the Tower.

The stage will then stop time and revert itself to the beginning, while a golden light glows in the backround.
[/collapse]

His inclusion also means that there might be songs from PMD, and that soundtrack is awesome.

Music
Credits theme for classic and all-star
Victory theme
Whatever other ones

[collapse= Supporters]
legendofrob1
BluePikmin11
FireEmblemnier
Falkoopa
Fastblade5035
Guybrush20X6
Afrodude
Rebellious Treecko
Master Of Blades
KingofPhantoms47
Master Of Blades
Mega Bidoof
Wariofan1
KingShadow
Thereallucario

If you want to be a supporter, like the post or say you want to with a comment. I'd prefer the comment.[/collapse]
Support sig

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Ah, Grovyle, my favourite of the 3rd gen starters including their evolutions. Sad that his chances are extremely low. :urg:

I can make a support sig if you want. :)

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Grovyle! Third favorite pokemon, aw yeah ;)
I fully support this guy, especially if his moves come from Mystery Dungeon. Imagine him using ITEMS (Warp Orb, Stun Seeds, etc.)??? Oh gosh, now I have to make a moveset.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I like the time gear smash ball idea, seems like it would work like Peach's or Luigi's Final smash for having time to deal damage to the opponent. I got another Idea for the home stage, too, maybe one of the places where time stopped, at first the stage is very colorful and lively, but suddenly, time would stop, and would see water in dropping from a leaf but it stops in midair like the picture shown in the game, everything will become dark and dull and that's how I imagine the stage.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207

Grovyle, the Hero of the Future

{SPOILER ALERT}
Grovyle was once framed for attempting to stop time, and was wrongly considered a villain due to Dusknoir's trickery. Grovyle found himself alongside the player and their partner in a Ruined Future, where time is no more. Together, they broke out of Dusknoir's dungeon and fled to find Celebi in an attempt to send the trio back to the past so that they may use the Time Gears to stop Primal Dialga, the true baddie. Grovyle, unfortunately, was not able to help the player and the partner reach Dialga, as he was forced to bring a desperate Dusknoir back to the future.
With that, the future is saved. With the blessing of a being higher than even Dialga, he, Dusknoir, and Celebi are allowed to live peacefully in the good future.

MOVESET
A – Grovyle swipes with his blades. It's not the fastest, but it can easily be cancelled into another move.
AA – Grovyle swipes again with his other blades. This one is much faster, and is preferable for grab combos.

SideA – Similar to Meta Knights sideA, this move is a combo in itself. Grovyle swipes quickly to the left, then turns around while swinging his tail, then ends with a sideways kick.

UpA – Grovyle thrusts his claws in the air. Lasts longer than Wario's UpA, but it's weaker.

DownA – Grovyle swings at the ground with his tail. It's a meteor smash regardless of the angle in which it hits.

“Giga Drain” B – Grovyle raises his arms and absorbs some HP from his opponent. It operates similarly to Din's Fire. The longer you hold it out, the further the Drain is. Grovyle may also only absorb HP if he takes damage beforehand. Ex. Mario smashes Grovyle, dealing 13 damage. Grovyle uses Giga Drain, healing himself half of the damage (6 hp)

“Bullet Seed” Side B – Grovyle hones onto his opponent and fires a total of 10 seeds, similar to Sheik's needles.

“Stun Seed” DownB – Grovyle places a Stun Seed on the ground. Anyone who steps on it is temporarily stunned. It acts as a nerfed Deku Nut.
“Warp Orb” UpB – Grovyle tosses a Warp Orb skyward. Once it reaches it's maximum height, it dissappears, and Grovyle warps to it's location. It can also be tossed left and right.

UpAir – Grovyle waves with his right arms, attacking with his blades that blow in the wind. Good range and lasts fairly long, but it makes for a laggy landing.

ForwardAir – Grovyles kicks forward. Similar to Wario's FA, but faster and stronger. It also cancels out momentum.

Nair – Grovyle spins quickly, utilizing his multiple blades.

Dair – Grovyle shoves his feet down. It is similar to Meteor Smashes in 64, as it lasts longer than usual.

Grab – Grovyle stabs forward with his leaf blades.

UpThrow – Grovyle tosses his opponent upward with a single hand.

DownThrow – Grovyle chucks his opponent under him and jumps on them.

ForwardThrow – Grovyle lets go briefly, then tosses a right hook.

Zair – Grovyle extends his adventure pouch. It is similar to Links Clawshot. It only hits once.

Speed – 8.5/10
Grovyle is very quick, and even though he is fast on Earth, he's far more agile in the air.

Strength – 6.75
Grovyle is one of the strongest fast characters, but still falls shot to Captain Falcon and Marth.

Weight – 5.75
Grovyle is slightly heavier than mid. Despite this, he's not much heavier than Mario.

Weaknesses – Fire and Wind elements

Strong against – Water elements (Squirtle, Mario with F.L.U.D.D.,)

FINAL SMASH:
The Time Gears

Grovyle takes out the Time Gears from his pouch, and lets them out heroically. They line up around the stage, and stop time. Here's the gimmick;
-Time will run out after 15 seconds
-Grovyle can collect a Gear to restore 3 seconds.
-Grovyle gets weaker with every gear he obtains
-If Grovyle somehow dies or loses a stock during this time, the FS automatically ends.

HOME STAGE:
Temporal Tower

Temporal Tower is a transitioning stage that brings the fighters on a recreation of the original events that took place there. It starts of inside Dialga's Room, where Dialga will visciously watch everyone and ocasionaly fire out a Dragon Pulse at someone at random.

It will then transition to the Dungeon, where the tower is beginning to collapse.
(I know its not Temporal Tower Dungeon, but it will look like this.)
Finally, the fighters exit the tower and fight on the pathway to the Tower.

The stage will then stop time and revert itself to the beginning, while a golden light glows in the backround.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
that was so good, I put it in the main post as a pulldown menu! i mean, it was just as good or better than mine, so you deserve it!

EDIT: scratch that, it was DEFIANTLY better than mine. but I was first :p

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
@legendofrob
I suggest you to make a section named "Movesets" and place your moveset followed by Fastblade's (both inside separate collapse tags of course). It will look better then.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
While I'm at it, I suppose I'll make some recolors for Grovy too.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
@legendofrob
I suggest you to make a section named "Movesets" and place your moveset followed by Fastblade's (both inside separate collapse tags of course). It will look better then.
Alright. I did it. took a bit because of some mishap (still no idea what happened) but its all better now!

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Very cool poke actually a good looking new poke...but in all honesty..i dont see it happning anymorethen that lustful dragonair guy lool.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Very cool poke actually a good looking new poke...but in all honesty..i dont see it happning anymorethen that lustful dragonair guy lool.
You got to remember though most of these thread characters won't make it in, this is more of spreading your opinion of who you want even as unlikely a it sounds(but not ridiculously unlikely)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
well he DOES have a bigger chance than some characters who have threads. (zombieU survivor looool) I'd say as likely as Viridi, who really isn't likely at all.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Mostly these threads are for showing how would they play if they were in smash bros. with alt. colors and movesets.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
would it be important to include that the PMD2 has over 6M sales worldwide in the top post?

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
would it be important to include that the PMD2 has over 6M sales worldwide in the top post?
You can add it as a point in support of him, but it's among the less important points. Sales don't matter much for Smash.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
You can add it as a point in support of him, but it's among the less important points. Sales don't matter much for Smash.
alright. I won't add it now since there aren't really any people opposing the idea right now.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think his best chance is as the grass component of a Gen 3 Pokemon Trainer or a multi gen Pokemon trainer.

*sigh* Makes me wish they would do a pokemon centric Smash spin-off.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Due to positive reception I went ahead and made a thread about it.

Anyway, I think if Grovyle incorporates some PMD stuff into his moveset he'd stand out. It was disappointing to see Brawl completely ignore all the pokemon spinoffs. At least Melee acknowledged that Pokemon Snap existed.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Anyway, I think if Grovyle incorporates some PMD stuff into his moveset he'd stand out. It was disappointing to see Brawl completely ignore all the pokemon spinoffs. At least Melee acknowledged that Pokemon Snap existed.
I honestly like PMD better than regular pokemon games. I think there should be ONE playable character from one PMD. i wouldn't go for wigglytuff, because I don't want a clone of jigglypuff.

Also, it would be cool to see an alternate costume for pikachu wearing a bandana-scarf thing with the PMD badge on it.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I was on youtube today, and apparently there are a bunch of PMD AMVs dedicated to grovyle. they aren't that bad, just mediocre.

Oh, and apparently there is a PMD anime. might watch that later.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Oh, and apparently there is a PMD anime. might watch that later.
It's not a full anime. It's just a couple of animated shorts.

There are four of them and they're about five minutes each.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
It's not a full anime. It's just a couple of animated shorts.

There are four of them and they're about five minutes each.
...oh. well, its still something to watch, might go ahead and do it later. it doesn't end on a cliffhanger, does it?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm not sure of his chances but I'm a supporter.

Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky is my favorite Pokemon game story, even more that Black & White's. Anyone else cry at the end?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I'm not sure of his chances but I'm a supporter.

Mystery Dungeon Time/Darkness/Sky is my favorite Pokemon game story, even more that Black & White's. Anyone else cry at the end?
Added you to the list, and yes. that ending was emotional.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
so this guy RebelliousTreecko posted a comment on my picture on deviantart, it was a moveset for grovyle! and a pretty good one too! look:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why a screenshot? You could have just copied it.

But the moveset is great.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I did this, borrowing a thing. because I'm good at ripping people off. made from picking and choosing from the avaliable movesets up above

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
That Wonder Bag reminds me of Doraemon. :laugh:

EDIT: Also, I really suggest changing the magical sparks used in "Absorb". The crescent and star is an Islamic symbol. Just pointing it out, though I'm not a Muslim.

Top Bottom