• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drop Cancelled Nair Help

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
On several occasions I've found threads on the Drop Cancelled Nair and I would get all excited, only to find out that they were only on the uses of the technique. I have done several searches on how to actually perform the technique, but all I've found are people doing them repeatedly. How are these performed?

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
In very quick succession:
• Drop through the platform (hold down).
• Do a nair (return the stick to neutral and press the A button).
• L-cancel (Press the L, R, or Z button). Technically this is optional.

You have to hit the opponent for this to work.

Assuming a normal platform drop from a standing animation, the frame data is:
(Inputs take effect on the frame after they are made)
Frame 1: Standing; press down on the control stick beyond the threshold to drop through the platform.
Frame 2: Crouch animation ("squat"); you have to keep holding down here or you won't fall through.
Frame 3: Crouch animation ("squat"); you can stop holding down now and you'll still drop through (meaning you have to input down for at least frames 1 and 2).
Frame 4: Crouch animation ("squat").
Frame 5: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will land on the platform if you input the nair here.
Frame 6: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will land on the platform if you input the nair here.
Frame >6: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will keep falling if you input the nair here.

Therefore: you have to hold the control stick down on at least 2 consecutive frames to drop, you have about 4 frames after pressing down on the control stick to release it in time to perform the nair, and you have 2 frames on which you can input the nair itself.

It can be hard to do; you can perform the inputs with (what feels like) the same timing over and over but mess up anyway. The speed and repetitive nature of the inputs can lead to you getting tired out quickly; don't practice for too long in one session.

Some things that can go wrong:
• Not holding down the control stick for long enough to drop.
• Continuing to hold the control stick down when the A button is pressed (results in a down tilt or down smash).
• Pressing the A button too late (results in a nair falling through the platform).
• Pressing the A button before moving the control stick down enough to register anything (results in a jab).
• Pressing the A button before releasing the control stick after pressing it down (results in a dair falling through the platform).
• Pressing the A button after letting the control stick return to neutral after it has been tilted down, but not enough to make Luigi fall through the platform (results in a jab).
• Hard pressing the L or R button for the L-cancel before the aerial (results in an airdodge).
• Performing the correct inputs but before the opponent is in range (results in a nair falling through the platform).

For a while my main problem with inputting this was not holding down on the control stick long enough (I didn't realise that you weren't supposed to flick it as quickly as possible until I looked at the frame data).

If you can, practice using something that shows whether you've hit an L-cancel (a Gecko code or the 20XX pack, for example), since it's difficult to tell if you're doing that part right.

If you use handicaps (set yourself to handicap 1 and the opponent to handicap 8; due to a bug this is more effective than handicap 9) then you can practice more efficiently since your opponent will not get sent as high and will survive to much higher percentages. Just make sure they're using a controller port that respawns above a platform, since you won't be able to get them onto one from the ground without building a lot of damage first. The 20XX pack save states are also very useful, since you can reset yourself and your opponent easily.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
Thank you, that helps a lot. I think I was trying it against the air at first. I was probably doing it wrong anyway. Anyways, I'll try this out tomorrow

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Don't press full down for the platform drop. Just sort of flick it down, you have to get a sense for the required down input yourself. You need to perform the nair very quickly after the drop. The hardest part is getting the control stick back to neutral after the drop in time. Obviously this is easier with stiff sticks. I find pc nairs pretty much impossible to do with my stick for instance.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
The 3 main issues I have when performing it are pressing Nair too late, which causes a platform drop Nair; not getting the stick into neutral fast enough, causing a platform drop Dair; and not going far enough down on the control stick and getting a down tilt. The best way to practice is in training mode, just spawn starmans for the dummy and practice it as it won't get knocked back.

Yann J.Ridin

Smash Apprentice
Switzerland, La Suisse, Pays de Neuchâtel
To practice, it's better to take a crouching bowser in port 2, with dammage ratio 0.5 and handicap 9. You can Nair him up to 600% before he feels the knockback. Plus, the invicibilty of the starman have a different hitlag i guess. Bowser don't.

säpo.

Smash Apprentice
You should also examine if your stick might be too loose. I have one controller with which I can drop cancel easily, and another one where it's difficult, because of the stick not being as stiff, i.e. worse at returning to the neutral position.

Last edited:

Army805

Smash Cadet
In very quick succession:
• Drop through the platform (hold down)
• Do a nair (return the stick to neutral and press the A button)
• L-cancel (Press the L, R, or Z button). Technically this is optional.

You have to hit the opponent for this to work.

Assuming a normal platform drop from a standing animation, the frame data is:
(Inputs take effect on the frame after they are made)
Frame 1: Standing; press down on the control stick beyond the threshold to drop through the platform.
Frame 2: Crouch animation ("squat"); you have to keep holding down here or you won't fall through.
Frame 3: Crouch animation ("squat"); you can stop holding down now and you'll still drop through (meaning you have to input down for at least frames 1 and 2).
Frame 4: Crouch animation ("squat").
Frame 5: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will land on the platform if you input the nair here.
Frame 6: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will land on the platform if you input the nair here.
Frame >6: Platform drop animation ("pass"); you will keep falling if you input the nair here.

Therefore: you have to hold the control stick down on at least 2 consecutive frames to drop, you have about 4 frames after pressing down on the control stick to release it in time to perform the nair, and you have 2 frames on which you can input the nair itself.

It can be hard to do; you can perform the inputs with (what feels like) the same timing over and over but mess up anyway. The speed and repetitive nature of the inputs can lead to you getting tired out quickly; don't practice for too long in one session.

Some things that can go wrong:
• Not holding down the control stick for long enough to drop.
• Continuing to hold the control stick down when the A button is pressed (results in a down tilt or down smash).
• Pressing the A button too late (results in a nair falling through the platform).
• Pressing the A button before moving the control stick down enough to register anything (results in a jab).
• Pressing the A button before releasing the control stick after pressing it down (results in a dair falling through the platform).
• Pressing the A button after letting the control stick return to neutral after it has been tilted down, but not enough to make Luigi fall through the platform (results in a jab).
• Hard pressing the L or R button for the L-cancel before the aerial (results in an airdodge).
• Performing the correct inputs but before the opponent is in range (results in a nair falling through the platform).

For a while my main problem with inputting this was not holding down on the control stick long enough (I didn't realise that you weren't supposed to flick it as quickly as possible until I looked at the frame data).

If you can, practice using something that shows whether you've hit an L-cancel (a Gecko code or the 20XX pack, for example), since it's difficult to tell if you're doing that part right.

If you use handicaps (set yourself to handicap 1 and the opponent to handicap 8; due to a bug this is more effective than handicap 9) then you can practice more efficiently since your opponent will not get sent as high and will survive to much higher percentages. Just make sure they're using a controller port that respawns above a platform, since you won't be able to get them onto one from the ground without building a lot of damage first. The 20XX pack save states are also very useful, since you can reset yourself and your opponent easily.
Why do you have to hit an opponent with it for it to work?

Army805

Smash Cadet
It has to do with your ECB staying above/on the platfrom when you perform an aerial; depending on the aerial (for Luigi it is Nair and Bair that work) when you are in hitlag it keeps your ECB above the platform so you stay on it. You can learn more about it in this video, specifically at 8:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtiDd5cQWJc
Cool thanks. Hitlag is the same on shield as it is on an actual hit, correct?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
All controllers are different, but it is possible to do this technique by pushing the stick all the way down and immediately releasing before you hit A. As long as your controller doesn't have a snap-back issue and you accidentally jump, it may be easier than executing the finesse required for the partial down press.

Top Bottom