• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Donate for melee at evo 2013!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260

dkuo

Smash Lord
Yea this is a really descriptive thread good job ~_~ lmao

So from what I understand, we can vote for Melee via donations to Breast Cancer Research, and the link should go up at some point?

Bad Cupboard

Smash Apprentice
They kind of hinted that they thought the votes for Melee were illegitimate.
This is our chance to show them that it's a serious community. If we throw enough money at them they can't possibly ignore us anymore, right?

Right?

-Ran

Smash Master
Real talk. We don't.

This donation drive is going to become a Tax write off for a company that wants their game in Evo. Chances are, we'll be sending our money to a black hole of donations to an already well off charity. Breast cancer if I recall, is one of the most successful charities in terms of raw money. It has over double the funding of prostate cancer, which is just as lethal. :|

zmx

Smash Lord
They kind of hinted that they thought the votes for Melee were illegitimate.
This is our chance to show them that it's a serious community. If we throw enough money at them they can't possibly ignore us anymore, right?

Right?
Wrong. We don`t know how much of the donations will end up in their own pocket. This could be a money grabbing ploy. Tournaments in the past have been known to not payout the players properly for example. Heck I`m pretty sure it`s happened in Smash as well.

Not saying it will happen, but I`m still sceptical they are actually seriously considering Melee. I`d love to be wrong.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Also, are we going to come out in droves to play/watch/vote? If top players don't come no sense dropping your money.

zmx

Smash Lord
Yoooo...how this work? Most money? I think we should wait and feel this out...well Ran put it well.
Yeah if it`s just money then the Melee community could be up against you know, actual companies. Companies that are already sponsering Evo anyway.

-Ran

Smash Master
Yoooo...how this work? Most money? I think we should wait and feel this out...well Ran put it well.
Yeah sony votes for PSAS and we all get ******
This is more or less going to happen. Tax season is coming up, and nothing in it states that a company cannot participate. It's great press, and it gets their game in for even more press. Evo is a very large stage, and so I don't doubt that it will occur.

If you want to throw money away for Smash, then as a community we need to find a better way to absorb funds so that we can make better events. Trying to force our way into Evo isn't going to work.

-Ran

Smash Master
Yes, the money gets dumped into the most well funded cancer research. There are so many other causes that could desperately use money.

Atlus8

Smash Master
I don't like how the last game will be chosen! All it takes is one benefactor to come in the very last moment and make some crazy donation!

I ask ALL of you to do just that! We should just snipe whatever game has the highest donations!

Edit - Yeah! Wish it was some other charity we would be donating to, but we can't do nothing about that!

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
If we could see how much money is put in then it's worth it. If it's a mystery? They have melee and brawl reversed for a reason probably lol. They're asking for twitter questions now.

prog

Priest of the Temple of Syrinx
If you want to throw money away for Smash, then as a community we need to find a better way to absorb funds so that we can make better events. Trying to force our way into Evo isn't going to work.
It's still an effort for a good opportunity, and at the very least, donating to a solid cause.

-Ran

Smash Master
I don't like how the last game will be chosen! All it takes is one benefactor to come in the very last moment and make some crazy donation!

I ask ALL of you to do just that! We should just snipe whatever game has the highest donations!
So let's say, we need to raise 50,000 to win. That's cool and all, but couldn't we just apply that 50,0000 into one SMASH tournament? Why should we throw that money away, when the prizes would be substantially better at our own event? >>

Super

Smash Apprentice
Yeah there is definitely concern, such as transparency and whether they allow big companies to donate. Plus if Melee doesn't get the most money, it will be a good way for the people to invalidate the original polls results.

zmx

Smash Lord
This is more or less going to happen. Tax season is coming up, and nothing in it states that a company cannot participate. It's great press, and it gets their game in for even more press. Evo is a very large stage, and so I don't doubt that it will occur.

Not to mention they clearly don`t care about any of these games enough for them to be anything more than after thoughts.

What kind of events would actually occur there even if by some miracle Melee made it. Mr. Wizard is known for enforcing his own rulesets. Smash would be a side event, possibly with items on, wouldn`t be streamed, and the best players might not even show up. It`s seriously not worth it.

Why the Smash community is so desperate to seek validation from people that don`t and will never even respect them is beyond me.

-Ran

Smash Master
Not to mention they clearly don`t care about any of these games enough for them to be anything more than after thoughts.
Correct. We could end up raising MORE money to get in, than the prizes and the COST of actually hosting the event ourselves.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
our community is so huge compared to the competition that we'd probably only have to donate $10 a pop to get in

the most important this is if the community is actually down to support this. can get get 200+ players at evo?

So let's say, we need to raise 50,000 to win. That's cool and all, but couldn't we just apply that 50,0000 into one SMASH tournament? Why should we throw that money away, when the prizes would be substantially better at our own event? >>
i know for a fact that tons of people are going to donate for melee that aren't even competitive players. they're donating for a good cause. look at awesome games done quick on twitch right now. 90% of the people watching aren't interested in speed running, they're just donating because it's video games + charity

clowsui

Smash Legend
We only have 22 days guys, just look at the wepay.

We have to mobilize quickly

also Mr. Wizard knows not to **** with melee and ran Melee as the real deal when it was at evo2k7

Shadocat

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3737-9651-3260
but............ i wanna save the boobies........ boobs are really nice ya know......... so round and warm :c

-Ran

Smash Master
our community is so huge compared to the competition that we'd probably only have to donate $10 a pop to get in

the most important this is if the community is actually down to support this. can get get 200+ players at evo?
Evo wouldn't be hard to get Smashers to. The issue is, if people are opening their wallets, we should [as a community] have a better way of using it than just gambling. That's what this would be, a gamble to get into Evo. This is a place that does not want us. The podcasters scoffed at us. The event would not give Smash the respect it deserves, nor should we ask it from them just because we managed to sneak into their event via a donation drive. If we made it to Evo, we would not be given the attention that we have earned as a community.

So I ask, why throw money away?

zmx

Smash Lord
We only have 22 days guys, just look at the wepay.

We have to mobilize quickly

also Mr. Wizard knows not to **** with melee and ran Melee as the real deal when it was at evo2k7
He also ran SFxT as a doubles only event last year. I wouldn`t trust him. Also correct me if I`m wrong, but Melee wasn`t streamed even when it was there due to issues with Nintendo or something.

So you are essentially donating to something that will get no hype or exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom