• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

-smuffy-

Smash Rookie
Hey so I've got Dolphin set up and i'm running fine, but can't connect to netplay. I keep getting the "failed to connect" message. Here is what i've tried so far, anyone know of anything else that I could try?

-Got dolphin 4.0-7840, and read the anther's ladder guide to set it up
-Allowed dolphin through my firewall
-Forwarded port 6262 (i didn't know which one was right, but assumed it was 6262)

Any input would be awesome. thanks!

Litt

Samus
Set the buffer to 100 and see if it still lags. If it doesn't, then it's a connection issue, if it does continue to lag, it's hardware.
Sup Y-L you should stop by my ladder some time. barbiesladder.com ;)

neophyteNQ

Smash Rookie
Hey, not sure where to ask this but I had a question about screen lag. To minimize input lag I was wondering if for Dolphin I should use my laptop screen, or an external monitor connected with a VGA cable? Laptop is a non gaming laptop (Lenovo T430), while the screen is a gaming monitor (ASUS VX248H) which should have 10ms of input delay

I thought that just using the main screen would be less delay because it doesn't need to connect to anything, but reading around it seems like most laptop screens have inherent delay, while the gaming monitor, tho having lag, would be less.

Also, if I play on a CRT in the future, is there some sort of VGA to Video cable converter to connect my laptop to the TV? Do these sorts of converters have lag / is there a preferred way to connect laptops to CRTs?

Any knowledge shared would be greatly appreciated ^^

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hey, not sure where to ask this but I had a question about screen lag. To minimize input lag I was wondering if for Dolphin I should use my laptop screen, or an external monitor connected with a VGA cable? Laptop is a non gaming laptop (Lenovo T430), while the screen is a gaming monitor (ASUS VX248H) which should have 10ms of input delay

I thought that just using the main screen would be less delay because it doesn't need to connect to anything, but reading around it seems like most laptop screens have inherent delay, while the gaming monitor, tho having lag, would be less.

Also, if I play on a CRT in the future, is there some sort of VGA to Video cable converter to connect my laptop to the TV? Do these sorts of converters have lag / is there a preferred way to connect laptops to CRTs?

Any knowledge shared would be greatly appreciated ^^
Keep in mind response time =/= input lag. The monitor is probably better but I can't really say, just test both.

You can pick up a crt monitor for cheap.

Litt

Samus
Keep in mind response time =/= input lag. The monitor is probably better but I can't really say, just test both.

You can pick up a crt monitor for cheap.
Hey Y-L i noticed you didnt respond, maybe you didn't see but you should go check out my site. Barbiesladder.com :)

Litt

Samus
Nice, seems like a huge waste of time
It does... doesn't it? I was perfectly willing to work with you guys to find an appropriate middle ground between allowing E2xD harass me through giving me constant mini rank bans for made up rules or a full blown perma ban, but you guys werent :/... This is my huge waste of time solution.

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
What 20xx version is everyone running for PC Dolphin?

Edit: fixed my problem had to disable netplay to prevent crashing

Last edited:

Maniak

Smash Apprentice
NNID
xoxMANIAKxox
Good enough for netplay?
Intel I7-6700
GeForce gtx 745 4gb
16gb ddr4 ram
2tb hard drive

BirdmanJR

Smash Cadet
Ive been getting ping spikes for a long time I'll look at the ping and for the most part it will be in the right ping area for the buffer i have set then it spikes to 100 or something stupid . I am using wired connection. Ive reinstalled windows,gotten a new modem and router etc. Could it just be that comcast is ****ty ? Is there anything else I could try ? Possible a new pc would help ?

BRUJO~

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I'm trying to set up netplay on my computer, and (surprise) I'm encountering difficulties.

I have the KELUX gamecube controller adapter, and I am trying to connect it using Zadig. I know that it is possible to use this adapter with Dolphin because it has worked previously, but evidently something has changed. I could not tell you what happened. I could connect it just find one day, I didn't play on Dolphin for a couple of months, then when I came back it would not connect.
(if it matters, I am using windows 10)

I open Zadig, and select options>list all devices.
I then select WUP-028.
I succesfully install the WinUSB (v6.1.7600.16385) driver (or so it tells me).
I then open Dolphin 4.0.7840.
I go to options>controller settings.
The direct connect box is checked.
All wiimotes say "none".
All GC controller ports say none except for the first, which says "standard controller."
I click "configure."
Under the "Pad [1]" tab, I try to find WUP-028 under devices, but it is not there.
I try plugging the adapter into all of the different usb ports, but none of them help.
I have tried installing it to the libusb0 and libusbK drivers, but they more problems and do not register in Dolphin either.

I also have "Wii U USB GCN Adapter v3.2.1" (by Matt Cunningham) downloaded to my computer. When I run that, Dolphin recognizes 4 other controller devices, none of them correspond with my controller.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I tried to include all relevant information, but let me know if I need to state anything else.

itsbme

Game on!
Slippi.gg
BME#828
So I returned after a long hiatus. It's fun but man those peaches are rough. Also too many foxes and falcos. Oh well 20xx I guess.

Also im the reason Roy's win ratio is going down. It's a tough life but I look cool while losing. Fire!

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Can someone please help with a minor issue? I can run melee netplay and all, but it has no sound. Suggestions? Running Windows 7, 9800gtx video card, 790i tri sli mobo.

Blizzen

Smash Rookie
Issue with playing: After running the iso with dolphin, everything launches fine, but no controls are resposive so I cannot get past the Memory Card A Reformat screen. Any suggestions?

sirbrawl

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, I’m having some issues with Netplay, i was able to host for 2 friends using the Direct method (port forwarded 2626 utc /udp on my router, same ports with Windows firewall).

Now, 3-4 months later (no idea what changed), same friends:

• one of them can only connect to me using traversal (port forwarded 6262 utc /udp on my router, same with Windows firewall, created exceptions for dolphin [.exe and folder] on windows firewall and windows defender, I don’t use other anti-virus)
  • the other friend just can’t connect (both traversal and direct give the message ‘failed to connect’).**Update: This friend was able to connet to a random guy in anther's ladder chat, using traversal, but can't connect to me.
  • Tried disabling both Windows Defender and Windows firewall and it didn't help.
  • Reset Traversal Settings didn't help either

We have the same ISO, and Dolphin version: 4.0-7840

Any ideas on what might be the problem? Thanks in advance and sorry if I messed up badly with my English, it’s not my main language.

Solved.:yoshimelee:

Last edited:

Maniclysane

Smash Lord
So, I know that there are a lot of controllers that 64 players use to play on consoles, like keyboard controllers because of so many 64 players having netplay backgrounds. I was wondering if there were any adapters or methods for getting a 360 controller to run on a Gamecube? I started playing netplay and I've quickly come to like the 360 controller way more than the gamecube controller and really want to use it in tournaments. The only downside is I right now have less control over my shield.

Like, I've seen a GC->64 adapter that had some weird lights and switches on it at a Xanadu and they were able to set it up manually. I guess that's a different beast, but keyboard->n64 gives me hope for a 360 controller on a gamecube.

BirdmanJR

Smash Cadet
Ive been having ping spikes in dolphin for a very long time. Usually I have good ping in the 30s range but it spikes really fast to 80 or 100 or something just enough to make the games choppy. Its a wired connection. Ive gotten a new router and a new modem and still hasn't helped. Ive also tried different Ethernet cords. Nothings really helping. Weirdly my ping does NOT spike at all in CSGO. What is different about dolphin that might give a clue what is wrong ? anything ?

Litt

Samus
Nice, seems like a huge waste of time
Yo Y-L, even smashboards seems to think I'm alright if they would give me supermod/senator status. Its about time E2xD builds a bridge and gets over me already so I can go back on smashladder

Zevis

Smash Rookie
I dont see a Global Netplay setting under AR codes and i am using dolphin 4.0-9285

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I dont see a Global Netplay setting under AR codes and i am using dolphin 4.0-9285
They moved it to Gecko codes at some point. Check there or you are using a super outdated dolphin (as far as I can remember you aren't but I honestly don't know what version is what)

Last edited:

Hunybear

Smash Ace
How can I improve my ping? It's good a lot of the time (40ms or lower), but I want better. From my understanding a second either net cable to my PC will greatly improve my speed.
Is there a way to send larger packets of data or is that not worth trying?
Also is there a program I could run to hog all the bandwidth? Maybe push more Internet through my port on the modem?
Honestly I don't know much about this stuff.

Y-L

Smash Champion
How can I improve my ping? It's good a lot of the time (40ms or lower), but I want better. From my understanding a second either net cable to my PC will greatly improve my speed.
Is there a way to send larger packets of data or is that not worth trying?
Also is there a program I could run to hog all the bandwidth? Maybe push more Internet through my port on the modem?
Honestly I don't know much about this stuff.
Increasing your bandwidth wont decrease your ping once you reach the low threshold. You could only move physically closer to your opponent.

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
What is it people use for connecting their controllers to PC? I have a Mayflash adapter and several controllers, but don't know what program is best used for this.
pls respond with lots of emojis :)

Hunybear

Smash Ace
What is it people use for connecting their controllers to PC? I have a Mayflash adapter and several controllers, but don't know what program is best used for this.
pls respond with lots of emojis :)
I use the official Nintendo game cube addaptor. Folding is automatically compatible with it. Just google Nintendo game cube addaptor driver and install the driver. I've never had a problem with it.

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
I use the official Nintendo game cube addaptor. Folding is automatically compatible with it. Just google Nintendo game cube addaptor driver and install the driver. I've never had a problem with it.
Alright great. I've been using Joy2Key for a while, and I think there's some lag with it, so I'll have to try to do that when I get home.
Thanks a bunch, man.

Ladder

Smash Apprentice
Would my laptop be able to handle netplay?

Processor: Intel Core i5-4210M CPU @ 2.60GHz

RAM: 6,00 GB

System Type: 64-bits, x64-processor

Graphic card: Nvidia Geforce 825M

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I'm having a hard time figuring this out:

I have a new inspiron 15 7559 laptop with gtx960m graphics card, i7 processor and 8 gb of ram. I am trying to play melee online with a Wii U adapter, but ive downloaded dolphin three times, only to find that all of the versions either cant use a wii u adapter, (4.0.2 x86), get horribly choppy (4.0-4599 x64) or are locked at 30fps for no discernable reason (4.0-9461 x64).

I havent even tried netplay because I cannot figure this out.

I am very confused, and finding the answer to this problem is frustrating. Can someone direct me to a version of dolphin that (to repeat)

1) Plays Melee at 60fps (or help me figure out a correct setting)
2) can use a wii u adapter
3) doesnt throw the video and audio into a blender, forcing you to frame skip.

I'm sorry if there is an easy solution i missed, i hope someone can help me

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
I'm having a hard time figuring this out:

I have a new inspiron 15 7559 laptop with gtx960m graphics card, i7 processor and 8 gb of ram. I am trying to play melee online with a Wii U adapter, but ive downloaded dolphin three times, only to find that all of the versions either cant use a wii u adapter, (4.0.2 x86), get horribly choppy (4.0-4599 x64) or are locked at 30fps for no discernable reason (4.0-9461 x64).

I havent even tried netplay because I cannot figure this out.

I am very confused, and finding the answer to this problem is frustrating. Can someone direct me to a version of dolphin that (to repeat)

1) Plays Melee at 60fps (or help me figure out a correct setting)
2) can use a wii u adapter
3) doesnt throw the video and audio into a blender, forcing you to frame skip.

I'm sorry if there is an easy solution i missed, i hope someone can help me
I believe Anther's ladder used 4.0-7840. Try that and fiddle with the settings if it isn't running smoothly

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
Try that and fiddle with the settings if it isn't running smoothly
Thanks, everything seems to be in order working with the Anther guide. However, When i first played melee, it ran at 60 fine, and I had some slightly laggy netplay matches with people in the neighborhood. (This may have just been due to me being upstairs, away from the router). However, once I turned melee back on after it running at 60, its suddenly stuck at 30 again!

Its completely bizarre, why would the emulator insist on using 30fps? I've fiddled with just about every setting in Dolphin, and I have not found a solution. Nothing affects the frame rate except frame skipping which just throws the game into a blender.

I'm completely lost

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Thanks, everything seems to be in order working with the Anther guide. However, When i first played melee, it ran at 60 fine, and I had some slightly laggy netplay matches with people in the neighborhood. (This may have just been due to me being upstairs, away from the router). However, once I turned melee back on after it running at 60, its suddenly stuck at 30 again!

Its completely bizarre, why would the emulator insist on using 30fps? I've fiddled with just about every setting in Dolphin, and I have not found a solution. Nothing affects the frame rate except frame skipping which just throws the game into a blender.

I'm completely lost
Does your monitor only display at 30fps?

Top Bottom