• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Y-L

Smash Champion
Aww man :( Does this mean need to spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new CPU to play this online?
You would probably need a new laptop. Not only does that have really poor single threaded performance but it's clocked at 1.3 GHz.

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
So pretty much. Online isn't even an issue right now, but Dolphin won't even run Melee at full speed. I've tried all the settings and it only clocks out at about 78% at the most. My computer isn't bad, it can run Skyrim at full graphic settings among other things. Is Dolphin just not liking Melee for some reason?

Y-L

Smash Champion
So pretty much. Online isn't even an issue right now, but Dolphin won't even run Melee at full speed. I've tried all the settings and it only clocks out at about 78% at the most. My computer isn't bad, it can run Skyrim at full graphic settings among other things. Is Dolphin just not liking Melee for some reason?
PC games =/= emulation. PC games rely heavily on gpu while emulation is highly on CPU. What kind of CPU are you using? Laptop or desktop?

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
PC games =/= emulation. PC games rely heavily on gpu while emulation is highly on CPU. What kind of CPU are you using? Laptop or desktop?
Its a desktop. I don't know the exact specs but its still pretty good.

Obli

Smash Rookie
Guys, I've never played on console before so I wouldn't know, how do you set up the controllers settings in dolphin to make it feel/work exactly like console? Using a brand new official Nintendo controller with the mayflash adapter. I plan to be competitive so i'm very worried I wont be used to console after all my practicing on netplay.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Guys, I've never played on console before so I wouldn't know, how do you set up the controllers settings in dolphin to make it feel/work exactly like console? Using a brand new official Nintendo controller with the mayflash adapter. I plan to be competitive so i'm very worried I wont be used to console after all my practicing on netplay.
Go to the FAQ in the guide in my siggy about controllers. That'll set you up perfect.

fox1215

Smash Rookie
Does anybody have netplay working in college? I wouldnt be surprised if the network has something up to block it, but I just figured I would see if anybody has also had problems that they have gotten around on college wifi

9Blades

Smash Ace
NNID
Venusboshi04
3DS FC
4210-4504-3290
Find out your cpu. Go to my computer->system properties->what does it say for processor.
Well here it says "Processor: AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~ 1.7 GHz

Is that good or really bad?

Y-L

Smash Champion
Well here it says "Processor: AMD E2-1800 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (2 CPUs), ~ 1.7 GHz

Is that good or really bad?
Probably too slow to run melee. Dolphin relies heavily on single threaded performance and that cpu has very bad single threaded performance in addition to a low clock speed. =/

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/

As everyone is probably already aware, dolphin makes huge strides in emulation speed regularly, I saw someone bring this up on the previous page even. The august report details that Melee runs 30% faster than the previous month or something like that. Can someone please tell me who to contact to request that either dc-netplay branch changes are merged into the mainline build or the mainline build changes are merged back into the dc-netplay branch?

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/08/31/dolphin-progress-report-august-2014/

As everyone is probably already aware, dolphin makes huge strides in emulation speed regularly, I saw someone bring this up on the previous page even. The august report details that Melee runs 30% faster than the previous month or something like that. Can someone please tell me who to contact to request that either dc-netplay branch changes are merged into the mainline build or the mainline build changes are merged back into the dc-netplay branch?
DC netplay is going to be merged into master imminently.

Sir Bubbles

Smash Journeyman
In Dolphin 4.0-652 for whatever reason, I can't connect. I disabled my firewall and did basically everything that was written.
I'm on Windows 8 64 bit and I'm desperate at this point. Any suggestions?

chicken pox

Smash Rookie
I am just in the process of trying to get my controller set up for melee on dolphin. However, if I choose a character and put in a comp, I press start and it just exits to main menu. Any idea why this is? Thanks in advance.

ShibyX

Smash Rookie
Where do i download a memory card with everything unlocked?/How to the AR codes work? I don't have global melee in the list and when i check the one for all char/stages my game crashes before loading.

Last edited:

Roryx

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-1160-7144
In Dolphin 4.0-652 for whatever reason, I can't connect. I disabled my firewall and did basically everything that was written.
I'm on Windows 8 64 bit and I'm desperate at this point. Any suggestions?
I'm having a very similiar problem to Sir Bubbles here. I can only connect to two different people and one of them has to open ALL of his ports for me to be able to join, all of us have forwarded the right ports for dolphin netplay already. Nobody can join my game when I host and I can't join anyone's game except for the 2 different cases I mentioned above.
I am on Windows 7, 32 bit.

Y-L

Smash Champion
I am just in the process of trying to get my controller set up for melee on dolphin. However, if I choose a character and put in a comp, I press start and it just exits to main menu. Any idea why this is? Thanks in advance.
Maybe you accidently set start to b?

Where do i download a memory card with everything unlocked?/How to the AR codes work? I don't have global melee in the list and when i check the one for all char/stages my game crashes before loading.
Are you using dolphin version 4.0-648 or 652? If you are maybe you got a bad dump of the game? The other AR codes are notorious for not working. You need to use the global settings for netplay.

Evilagram

Smash Journeyman
The current mainline build doesn't have the same netplay interface as 652. The netplay works beautifully, but going back to copying down IP addresses and port forwarding is a pain in the ass.

Y-L

Smash Champion
The current mainline build doesn't have the same netplay interface as 652. The netplay works beautifully, but going back to copying down IP addresses and port forwarding is a pain in the ***.
UDP Netplay (the 8 digit codes) is being completely rewritten and will be returning in time.

Jonte

Smash Cadet
The current mainline build doesn't have the same netplay interface as 652. The netplay works beautifully, but going back to copying down IP addresses and port forwarding is a pain in the ***.
What is this mainline build you're talking about?

Y-L

Smash Champion
He is referencing the master branch, development builds. UDP port breaking isn't ready yet (the 8 digit codes) but it will be integrated which is why we haven't switched builds yet.

TriviumAZ

Smash Rookie
Can anyone with a similar pc help me find my best settings/version of Dolphin please? My melee is never at a constant 100% speed, my fps drop to 20~30 when there's a scene switch and drops a bit less (to 35~45 for fractions of a second) while playing my matches, shouldn't I be able to play @60 fps?

Specs (laptop):
i7 4810mq
Nvidia GTX 870M
12Gb RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

I also have a SSD + HDD but I already tried placing the game in both of them sepparately and Dolphin runs exactly the same.

Thanks in advance.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Can anyone with a similar pc help me find my best settings/version of Dolphin please? My melee is never at a constant 100% speed, my fps drop to 20~30 when there's a scene switch and drops a bit less (to 35~45 for fractions of a second) while playing my matches, shouldn't I be able to play @60 fps?

Specs (laptop):
i7 4810mq
Nvidia GTX 870M
12Gb RAM
Windows 8.1 x64

I also have a SSD + HDD but I already tried placing the game in both of them sepparately and Dolphin runs exactly the same.

Thanks in advance.
It's likely because your cpu is overheating. Under graphics adapters switch to your integrated graphics.

TriviumAZ

Smash Rookie
It's likely because your cpu is overheating. Under graphics adapters switch to your integrated graphics.
Hi, thanks for the reply, not overheating at all, my laptop has a pretty powerful (it even makes a lot of noise while working) cooling fan (Cooler Booster 2 from MSI). Also, I already tried using the integrated Intel graphics but it seems to be running exactly the same. This is a bit confusing to me, because I can literally play any pc game in high settings with a constant fps rate.

Y-L

Smash Champion
Hi, thanks for the reply, not overheating at all, my laptop has a pretty powerful (it even makes a lot of noise while working) cooling fan (Cooler Booster 2 from MSI). Also, I already tried using the integrated Intel graphics but it seems to be running exactly the same. This is a bit confusing to me, because I can literally play any pc game in high settings with a constant fps rate.
pc games =/= emulation
however your cpu is very good for Dolphin. Did you try monitoring your temps?

TriviumAZ

Smash Rookie
pc games =/= emulation
Haven't tried that, I could do it but
pc games =/= emulation
I just did, you can see how I got 90% speed at that exact moment and fps dropped a bit (there are drops that last a fraction of a second everytime an item spawns for example).

Since I'm new to the website I can't add links, but this is the imgur code for it: YEsqgHV

Y-L

Smash Champion
Haven't tried that, I could do it but

I just did, you can see how I got 90% speed at that exact moment and fps dropped a bit (there are drops that last a fraction of a second everytime an item spawns for example).

Since I'm new to the website I can't add links, but this is the imgur code for it: YEsqgHV
Temps look good. Try going to power options on Windows and set to high performance. I would continue using the integrated graphics and use no higher than 2.5x IR.

Jonte

Smash Cadet
He is referencing the master branch, development builds. UDP port breaking isn't ready yet (the 8 digit codes) but it will be integrated which is why we haven't switched builds yet.
Does this development build include the D3D dedicated fullscreen mode which reduces input latency?

And are you able to netplay with dualcore without desyncs?

If so, where can I find this? :p

Y-L

Smash Champion
Does this development build include the D3D dedicated fullscreen mode which reduces input latency?

And are you able to netplay with dualcore without desyncs?

If so, where can I find this? :p
Yes it does. Dual-core Netplay was merged into the master branch of dolphin so any of the latest builds have it working for 95% of games and you can play with all the latest features. You can find the latest build on Dolphin's download page here. You have to port forward for it to work currently though and I'm not sure how well it works on Wii games. That's why we haven't switched in the Netplay community yet.

Last edited:

Jonte

Smash Cadet
Yes it does. Dual-core Netplay was merged into the master branch of dolphin so any of the latest builds have it working for 95% of games and you can play with all the latest features. You can find the latest build on Dolphin's download page here. You have to port forward for it to work currently though and I'm not sure how well it works on Wii games. That's why we haven't switched in the Netplay community yet.
Awesome, thanks!

Hope this will be the main build we'll use soon. The D3D Fullscreen mode feels amazing when you play!

Y-L

Smash Champion
Awesome, thanks!

Hope this will be the main build we'll use soon. The D3D Fullscreen mode feels amazing when you play!
It will when UDP and Wii NAND is complete. I like the full screen but for some reason I get screen tearing without v sync but v sync causes lag for me. Either way there's so much more stuff that's going to make melee better notably fod lag removed.

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I'm encountering a unique issue when attempting to join others on Netplay where both of our pings just show " ?ms " however if I host it loads our ping just fine. Can someone help me out in solving this problem? Very rarely when I join someone's lobby it will populate my ping.

Warioski

Smash Rookie
First of all, thanks A LOT to everyone who made possible to play this fantastic game online. The game works perfectly, and i have no problems at all using it. Btw i'd like to play with objects sometimes, and that's is impossible in order to keep the "Global Melee Netplay Settings" AR Code activated. So i was wondering, is there any possibility to add just a few codes only for All Chars and All Stages? I'm trying with codes found online, but no one works.

Y-L

Smash Champion
First of all, thanks A LOT to everyone who made possible to play this fantastic game online. The game works perfectly, and i have no problems at all using it. Btw i'd like to play with objects sometimes, and that's is impossible in order to keep the "Global Melee Netplay Settings" AR Code activated. So i was wondering, is there any possibility to add just a few codes only for All Chars and All Stages? I'm trying with codes found online, but no one works.
You could just download a memory card with all stages and chars unlocked.

Warioski

Smash Rookie
You could just download a memory card with all stages and chars unlocked.
I've done so, and for the offline single player it works, but when i start the game in a netplay session it sais that there is not a save game file in the memory card >_<

The two of us have the same save game file and we've turned off all cheats

Last edited:
Top Bottom