• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

Phyanketto

Smash Cadet
I'm running 14.04, which doesn't yet have a stable build. I'm sort of a linux noob, so if there is any compatability modew ith previous verisons, that would be amazing.

meowth_

Smash Cadet
Why is a linux noob running an unstable build? JW? Set up a distro to try to do emulation and gaming on. I don't know what all the l33t l1nux gam3rs use nowadays but back in my day it was Gentoo. I'm sure nowadays people are using Ubuntu. I don't know about compatibility, I have never tried to install Dolphin with a linux system.

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Someone plz help I keep getting desyncs :(
My settings are the same as the guide says.

Edit: It suddenly runs okay. Oh well, I'll take it.

Last edited:

meowth_

Smash Cadet
If you are having desync issues, here is a checklist that usually helps me out:

A) Are you absolutely sure that you are using the default settings that are under the properties tab of the melee ISO in dolphin?

B) Are you absolutely sure that you have the same "Global Melee Netplay Setting" tab checked? Properties -> AR codes

C) Are you sure that dolphin settings are exactly the same? (did you leave the cheats enabled box unchecked by accident?)

D) If "write memory card" is checked, turn it off!

E) I recommend going through and forwarding the TCP and UDP ports, but that's just my opinion it has no factual basis or supporting evidence.

Once you have gone through the checklist, the problem is most likely on the other end, possibly the other user's settings.

If you would like, I can post an few images that show the configuration settings for my Dolphin / Melee. It would be better for me to copy / paste the .ini files I guess, but I'm not sure which ones control which features yet.

Last edited:

YoBro

Smash Rookie
I've been having terrible ping spikes lately with everyone I play! For example I would be in a game with an average of 30-40ping then during gameplay it would spike to 100 or more. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I would post a pic of my internet speed test but I need 10 posts. So the results were:
PING: 8 ms Download Speed: 98.80 Mbps Upload Speed: 5.43 Mbps

YoBro

Smash Rookie
I'd like to start playing but something weird is going on. It doesn't matter if I host or not, whenever I am in the room initially I'll have a constant ping of around 35ms but then as soon as I start up the game, it will have around 35ms and then all of a sudden it spikes to around 800ms and then back down to 35. It spikes once every 3 to 4 seconds and pretty much ruins it. I'm not sure if this is some setting I can change, but I don't think it's my ISP since it stays low at 35ms with no problems until the game starts. My Alienware laptop should be fine, it runs at 60FPS with out a single hiccup when I'm hosting a game and fighting an AI locally. I also tried turning off my wireless and switching to wired just to check it out and see... not sure what the problem is though. I'm using Dolphin 4.0-652 my CPU is an i7-3630QM (2.4Ghz / 4 cores) and my gfx card is a Nvidia 660M.
Looking through this thread to find an answer, it seems I have the same issue as this dude.

meowth_

Smash Cadet
YoBro,

This is most likely being caused by a firewall on your system such as Windows Firewall, or some type of anti-virus software. If this is not the case and you do not have any such software running in your computer, you could try forwarding ports on your router. You could also try testing out another game that is ping intensive, such as an FPS game (I use Counter-Strike for testing my ping).

Given that problems only happen while in game, I'd say that it's most likely a firewall issue. I highly suggest trying to isolate the problem by using a different computer on the same network, or a different network device (if on wireless, try hardwire, vice versa).

YoBro

Smash Rookie
YoBro,

This is most likely being caused by a firewall on your system such as Windows Firewall, or some type of anti-virus software. If this is not the case and you do not have any such software running in your computer, you could try forwarding ports on your router. You could also try testing out another game that is ping intensive, such as an FPS game (I use Counter-Strike for testing my ping).

Given that problems only happen while in game, I'd say that it's most likely a firewall issue. I highly suggest trying to isolate the problem by using a different computer on the same network, or a different network device (if on wireless, try hardwire, vice versa).
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to try playing a few games with my antivirus off and see if it helps, firewall too. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.

meowth_

Smash Cadet
Thanks for your quick reply. I'm going to try playing a few games with my antivirus off and see if it helps, firewall too. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.

I'm going to try playing a few games with my antivirus off and see if it helps, firewall too. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials.
a few games with my antivirus off and see if it helps, firewall too. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials
helps, firewall too. I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials
I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials

YoBro

Smash Rookie
is it working?
I got rid of mse and I'm seeing a huge improvement. It was working 100% fine a few days ago and now all of a sudden it's spiking like mad. It's 10x better now but definitely not 100% yet. I'll search around hopefully find some more answers.

meowth_

Smash Cadet
yeah uninstall the anti virus

and un-**** your computer from security essentials

Last edited:

casualpleb

Smash Rookie
The IRC channel seems dead. Thought I'd be able to get a game or two in before work. Is it just inactive in the mornings?

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Before resetting my laptop, the Global Melee Netplay settings were in the AR tab. After resetting, there aren't any cheats in the tab. I'm using a working file, Dolphin 4.0-648.

P 1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, spent some time looking around in this thread, and found some possible answers, but still have some unanswered questions:

First one is, how to maximize performance on a strong build with NVIDIA. Noticed the Hacked Buffer Upload, and that dual core can cause problems. Will test later, but any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Any other non default settings I should look into?

Secondly, I've recalibrated my controller more than a few times, and my C stick is still not at the correct rest position. I'm using a radius of 100, and have tried low dead zones numbers. I tried each port. Using mayflash. Causes many technical mishaps.

Any info to help make this an optimal experience, PLEASEE!

NarkTheShark

Smash Rookie
Everytime I try to connect to somebody it freezes for a few seconds and then says "Disconnect". Also no one can connect to my host. I followed all the instructions but I don't know what is wrong.

P 1

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, spent some time looking around in this thread, and found some possible answers, but still have some unanswered questions:

First one is, how to maximize performance on a strong build with NVIDIA. Noticed the Hacked Buffer Upload, and that dual core can cause problems. Will test later, but any extra info would be greatly appreciated. Any other non default settings I should look into?

Secondly, I've recalibrated my controller more than a few times, and my C stick is still not at the correct rest position. I'm using a radius of 100, and have tried low dead zones numbers. I tried each port. Using mayflash. Causes many technical mishaps.

Any info to help make this an optimal experience, PLEASEE!
back with some more info on this. controller **** figured out.

NO CLUE what did it, literally just reconfigured it 20 times until it worked, recallibrating within windows between configurations LOL.

Now about the performance issue. ALL the settings are as illustrated in the OP. I reinstalled dolphin, deleted the My Docs folder, and redid everything, even noticed something i missed. So, i'm confident i have the standard settings correct. In order to hopefully figure out WTF is going on, I overclocked the ****TT out of my cpu, 3.5ghz intel up to 4.3, and **** was smooooooth. the only times when things would bug out, and when it did, there was massive lag (only on my end apparently), was when there was some sort if interaction. me hitting another player. a player putting a pill out. not just moves though, weird things like players landing, coming off ledge, etc.

slight more info. played offline, overclocked. lagged on start up. lagged upon character select. lagged upon loading in. lagged upon kirby's up B (recurring). lagged upon star KO animation (recurring). framerate doesn't update when i lag. stays at 60.

edit2: could you guys say what a desync is in the OP. realizing that might be what i'm explaining.

PLS HELP ME. I WANT THIS TO WORK SO BADLY!

@ J JMC4789 have any info / suggestions for me?

Last edited:

Fisac

Smash Rookie
So, I can't seem to connect using the netplay branch. I've been playing with the regular branch a lot and it seems to work fine right there.
I've opened the dolphin ports (2626 - 2626). Disabled firewall, uninstalled anti-virus and enabled UPnP.
My cheats are enabled and all that. I've been running through the tutorial several times to make sure every single window is just like the tutorial.
My router is a thomson tg799vn v2. It's a rather new router and I'm thinking that might be the reason to why I can't connect. Does anybody know what I could've done wrong?

Whenever I try to connect to someone, the connection window stays grayed out for a while and after a while it says "Connection failed".

puu.sh/ai4dY/1c9c853f4d.png (My configs)

puu .sh/ai4gk/77f698800f.png (SSBM)
puu.sh/ai4h3/eefca215cd.png (SSBM)

Jakemate

Smash Rookie
So, I can't seem to connect using the netplay branch. I've been playing with the regular branch a lot and it seems to work fine right there.
I've opened the dolphin ports (2626 - 2626). Disabled firewall, uninstalled anti-virus and enabled UPnP.
My cheats are enabled and all that. I've been running through the tutorial several times to make sure every single window is just like the tutorial.
My router is a thomson tg799vn v2. It's a rather new router and I'm thinking that might be the reason to why I can't connect. Does anybody know what I could've done wrong?

Whenever I try to connect to someone, the connection window stays grayed out for a while and after a while it says "Connection failed".

puu.sh/ai4dY/1c9c853f4d.png (My configs)

puu .sh/ai4gk/77f698800f.png (SSBM)
puu.sh/ai4h3/eefca215cd.png (SSBM)

I have this problem too. Anyone got any ideas? :(

P 1

Smash Cadet
back with some more info on this. controller **** figured out.

NO CLUE what did it, literally just reconfigured it 20 times until it worked, recallibrating within windows between configurations LOL.

Now about the performance issue. ALL the settings are as illustrated in the OP. I reinstalled dolphin, deleted the My Docs folder, and redid everything, even noticed something i missed. So, i'm confident i have the standard settings correct. In order to hopefully figure out WTF is going on, I overclocked the ****TT out of my cpu, 3.5ghz intel up to 4.3, and **** was smooooooth. the only times when things would bug out, and when it did, there was massive lag (only on my end apparently), was when there was some sort if interaction. me hitting another player. a player putting a pill out. not just moves though, weird things like players landing, coming off ledge, etc.

slight more info. played offline, overclocked. lagged on start up. lagged upon character select. lagged upon loading in. lagged upon kirby's up B (recurring). lagged upon star KO animation (recurring). framerate doesn't update when i lag. stays at 60.

edit2: could you guys say what a desync is in the OP. realizing that might be what i'm explaining.

PLS HELP ME. I WANT THIS TO WORK SO BADLY!

@ J JMC4789 have any info / suggestions for me?
edit: i was wrong. reinstalling DX11 did not fix the problem.

Last edited:

Yori

Banned via Warnings
Oh and btw my Netplay works, but I don't have the Global Netplay cheat. I have no cheats, really. Dunno what the problem is, they were gone after resetting and re-installing Dolphin 4.0-652. Anyone ever had the same issue?
Edit: After looking at the AR codes section again, I see I can add cheats using a code. I can't find the code online, can someone with a working cheat post the code?
Edit2: Found the file. For anyone who needs it: http://globalmelee.com/forums/topic/3/

Last edited:

Ichigeki

Smash Rookie
Anyone willing to help me with setting up the GC controller with the newest version of Dolphin?? i can find no video's that use the new version when it comes to where i need to put the controller setup .ini file. ive tried the creating the folders option and no dice. someone please help, if you want to add me on skype find me at Uthferas

Yori

Banned via Warnings
So, just noticed I haven't told you guys, but the ini file I found on the internet isn't working. Some cheats crash the game (Global Melee Netplay settings) and some just don't work (Flash on L-cancel)

Adio

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4468-1123-9238
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but would anyone like to play a game sometime with me? I've been a casual for around 8 years and I'm looking to get better.

Hero of the Winds

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure this is the wrong place to ask, but would anyone like to play a game sometime with me? I've been a casual for around 8 years and I'm looking to get better.
Hey, I'm a casual looking to get better too! Wanna play?

Zx2963

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a weird issue, for some reason I'm getting an insane amount if lag from a friend who lived a couple miles away that I don't even get with people in Europe. The game can freeze for a whole 15 seconds even

Holychicken

Smash Cadet
NNID
Holych1cken
Looking to get my ass kicked on netplay! Playing out of the midwest, Wisconsin specifically.

Top Bottom