• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Netplay + Streaming FPS/LAG problem

snaprocks

Smash Rookie
I'm trying to stream dolphin melee netplay on my laptop but when I do I drop down to like 40FPS... Is there any kind of settings I could change to make it work any better?

My up and down speeds are great for streaming.

These are the specs of my laptop:

• 1.9GHz Intel Core i7-3517U Dual-Core
  • 10GB RAM
  • 256GB Samsung PRO 840 SSD
  • nVIDIA GeForce GT 620M Graphics (1GB)
It's an Asus UX32VD but i've upgraded the ram, ssd, and new wifi card.

L!ver

Smash Cadet
NNID
Livastyle
Your CPU is not that good. maybe set video encoding to "ultrafast".
But actually i wouldn't even try to stream + play on a 2 x 1,9GHz

snaprocks

Smash Rookie
Your CPU is not that good. maybe set video encoding to "ultrafast".
But actually i wouldn't even try to stream + play on a 2 x 1,9GHz
Hmm. Yeah I figured that would be my biggest problem. I only wanted to stream some friendlies so resolution wouldn't have bothered me. I'll change the video encoding to see if that does me any good.

Kadano

Magical Express
Hmm. Yeah I figured that would be my biggest problem. I only wanted to stream some friendlies so resolution wouldn't have bothered me. I'll change the video encoding to see if that does me any good.
You can try OBS with Quick Sync enabled. The CPU load drops down by a lot compared to when using x264 (think 5% instead of 50%). The compression will be slightly worse, so the same quality will take approximately 30% more bitrate.
I don’t think it’s possible to turn the x264 compression so much that the CPU load is as little as it is with Quick Sync. So I definitely recommend Quick Sync for your situation. Even better would be getting a dedicated machine for about 400$, for example an ITX one with an i5-3570 CPU. ITX is small and portable so you can easily bring it to tournaments as well, if you want to do that as well. I think @ L!ver L!ver uses a similar computer right now.

snaprocks

Smash Rookie
You can try OBS with Quick Sync enabled. The CPU load drops down by a lot compared to when using x264 (think 5% instead of 50%). The compression will be slightly worse, so the same quality will take approximately 30% more bitrate.
I don’t think it’s possible to turn the x264 compression so much that the CPU load is as little as it is with Quick Sync. So I definitely recommend Quick Sync for your situation. Even better would be getting a dedicated machine for about 400$, for example an ITX one with an i5-3570 CPU. ITX is small and portable so you can easily bring it to tournaments as well, if you want to do that as well. I think @ L!ver L!ver uses a similar computer right now.
Yup. I was actually just thinking of building a Mini-ITX. I'm gonna see how much streaming I start doing and depending on if I actually want to stream a lot I will probably go the dedicated route.

Quick question tho, would the laptop I'm using be alright for just streaming? Instead of dolphin + stream? Let's say I go buy a capture card to stream melee off the wii or gamecube.

Last edited:

L!ver

Smash Cadet
NNID
Livastyle
Yes, i'm using an ITX Computer, but within an watercooled i7 4770

If you want to purchase for a new computer like this, you have to think alot about the components.
"Actually" my PC costs ~600$, but i paid like 1000$, because i had to replace/rebuy some parts.
The most important thing you have to think about: the cooling!

Without my watercooling-system my CPU gehts high to 100°C (212°F), which is toooo high.
Also i had to modify the case extremly. (e.g. a BIG hole in the front for the radiator)

PS: My favorite Video-Capture-Device is the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle; because of the possibilities

edit:
just sayin: for a "only streaming computer" u DONT need a graphics card.
I'm using the onboard solution. But your CPU has to support this

Last edited:

snaprocks

Smash Rookie
Yes, i'm using an ITX Computer, but within an watercooled i7 4770

If you want to purchase for a new computer like this, you have to think alot about the components.
"Actually" my PC costs ~600$, but i paid like 1000$, because i had to replace/rebuy some parts.
The most important thing you have to think about: the cooling!

Without my watercooling-system my CPU gehts high to 100°C (212°F), which is toooo high.
Also i had to modify the case extremly. (e.g. a BIG hole in the front for the radiator)

PS: My favorite Video-Capture-Device is the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle; because of the possibilities

edit:
just sayin: for a "only streaming computer" u DONT need a graphics card.
I'm using the onboard solution. But your CPU has to support this

Yeah that looks dope. I think what I'm going to do is just actually build a new computer for gaming, streaming and video editing. This way I can stream + dolphin while at home and if I go to a tournament or somewhere else I could just bring the capture card and the laptop for just streaming. I don't think I'm going to be going 100% just streaming other people but I can still build a pretty small gaming + editing + streaming computer that I could take on the road if need be.

Thanks for all the help guys

and yeah I'm investing in a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle thats the one everyone seems to love

Top Bottom