• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think you can tell someones personality on what character they main?

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
I've noticed that Ganondorf users are more dedicated to their evil gerudo ruler.

We Villager users love it when we win.

Zelda users seem smart.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
In a sense, yes.

For many players, the characters they main are often their favorite characters. After all, Smash is all about giving people the chance to play as their favorite Nintendo characters and beat up other Nintendo characters. And for many, their favorite characters are the ones who they find most identifiable, admirable, or just cool in general.

Personally speaking, I'm a very "thinker" individual; I value intelligence and logical thinking. My main and one of my favorite characters on the roster is Robin, an intellectual, bookish strategist.

So, to a certain degree, who somebody mains can reflect their personality.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
This reminded me of an image from a while back.
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
Ness, G&W, Olimar, and Pac-Man are pretty spot on, not so much for Duck Hunt.

ME GRIMLOCH

Smash Cadet
NNID
MeGrimloch
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
As a pac-main I can confirm that the pac-man one is right lol

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They call me 'blight', and am a stylish mofo. Diddy it should be then. And will forever be.

muddykips

Smash Apprentice
NNID
skippykips
3DS FC
3609-1085-1849
yoshi and kirby are SO ME

duck hunt is also pretty spot-on. the good ones are hell to play against

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
To some degree, I believe so.

To use a character like Robin effectively, you have to be patient, observant, and calculative. Thus, people whom are aggressive and impatient by nature will undoubtedly have a hard time with Robin. I've seen lots of novice Robin players charge at the opponent and try to grab them or hit them with the Levin Sword--when conversely, you're supposed to lure the opponent to you and catch them in a trap. Ergo, people whom are overly aggressive and impatient by nature are usually better off with the more straightforward characters like Captain Falcon.

One thing is for certain, though: you can definitely tell someone's personality by the way they behave in the match. I must say, I have come across way too many rage-quitters whom just jump off the ledge and KO themselves just because things aren't going in their favour. [Shrugs] But I am digressing from the main subject at hand.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
To some degree, I believe so.

To use a character like Robin effectively, you have to be patient, observant, and calculative. Thus, people whom are aggressive and impatient by nature will undoubtedly have a hard time with Robin. I've seen lots of novice Robin players charge at the opponent and try to grab them or hit them with the Levin Sword--when conversely, you're supposed to lure the opponent to you and catch them in a trap. Ergo, people whom are overly aggressive and impatient by nature are usually better off with the more straightforward characters like Captain Falcon.

One thing is for certain, though: you can definitely tell someone's personality by the way they behave in the match. I must say, I have come across way too many rage-quitters whom just jump off the ledge and KO themselves just because things aren't going in their favour. [Shrugs] But I am digressing from the main subject at hand.
Every Robin player I know loves reading books. Coincidence?

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
The Pit and Palutena ones are pretty accurate for the most part, though without the male pronoun in the former or the waifuness of the latter.

I've always wanted to see this image for myself. Pretty funny and accurate, but the jokes at hit 'n' miss. Too much reliance on the waifu gag, something of a tryhard. 7 / 10

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
The Pit and Palutena ones are pretty accurate for the most part, though without the male pronoun in the former or the waifuness of the latter.

I've always wanted to see this image for myself. Pretty funny and accurate, but the jokes at hit 'n' miss. Too much reliance on the waifu gag, something of a tryhard. 7 / 10
Villager one is 50% spot-on now that I think about it. We Villagers overestimate our skillz way too much.

Last edited:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I wish I could translate that image into conversational terms, I really detest all that alienation and language.:confused:

But as for personality based on who someone mains, I wouldn't say that this is all entirely accurate, but good enough, such as Shulk players being satisfied with him in the game.

Last edited:

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
The Kirby one is 90% true :0
The Link one is pretty spot on
But he really is good this game guys :056:

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
The Yoshi one is so accurate it hurts.

As for in general, ehh... some people play depending on what series they like. I don't think it takes a certain type of person to like Earthbound, for example, and if you like Earthbound you're more likely to try and main Ness.

But the abundance of Little Mac on FG means something. So did all the Meta Knights in Brawl. Even in Melee, there was that one kid who played as Fox or Marth because he heard they were good.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Most rosalina players I've met along with myself are playing her because we either love the character or like this style of character. Many are former ice climber players.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
The image is expectedly offensive, but I kinda agree with what it says about Yoshi, at least to some extent.

However, I tend to think of myself as a more of an aggressive player than a passive one.

And I've always liked Charizard for who he is: the original Fire-Type starter. I hated the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, and gladly celebrated his removal in Sm4sh.

Last edited:
Not sure what Shulk would say about me. I am decent at making predictions though :troll:

and that list is bs because I use the Melia skin :awesome:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
The image is expectedly offensive, but I kinda agree with what it says about Yoshi, at least to some extent.

However, I tend to think of myself as a more of an aggressive player than a passive one.

And I've always liked Charizard for who he is: the original Fire-Type starter. I hated the Pokemon Trainer in Brawl, and gladly celebrated his removal in Sm4sh.
The image isn't mine, just passing it along.

I don't particularly care about any of the Pokemon in Smash, and I miss the Trainer. "Playing" as the actual protagonist was far more interesting than any generic monster out of 600+. But hey, that's just an opinion.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
My chest is full of bullet holes from all the shots fired at me for being a Villager main.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
My chest is full of bullet holes from all the shots fired at me for being a Villager main.
The shots are not in your pocket? :troll: edit: :4greninja:'d

Anyway, I do think you can tell someone personality from his mains.
Except maybe the tryhards who pick only the top tiers on for Glory (they are easy to spot).

As a calm guy who like to think and analyse, :4zelda: and :4robinf: are logical choices to me.
Plus I'm also bad at running :awesome:

Oh, and yes, I also tend to pick female characters.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Why didn't you pocket the bullets?
The shots are not in your pocket? :troll: edit: :4greninja:'d

Anyway, I do think you can tell someone personality from his mains.
Except maybe the tryhards who pick only the top tiers on for Glory (they are easy to spot).

As a calm guy who like to think and analyse, :4zelda: and :4robinf: are logical choices to me.
Plus I'm also bad at running :awesome:

Oh, and yes, I also tend to pick female characters.
I can only pocket ONE bullet and i had to deal with a machine gun of shots :p

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I can only pocket ONE bullet and i had to deal with a machine gun of shots :p
Indeed :p

Also, looking at your avatar (best female villager IMO), do you think the different villagers belongs to different player's personalities?

Same applies to the Koopalings for obvious reasons.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Indeed :p

Also, looking at your avatar (best female villager IMO), do you think the different villagers belongs to different player's personalities?

Same applies to the Koopalings for obvious reasons.
Probably, I main this chick because she's got the best dress, seriously though In GC animal crossing I only wore the same shirt as her because blue and yellow rock.

I could probably make a list of the personality traits based on Villager XD

PigglyJuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mr.Hugz
3DS FC
2793-1251-1909
The villager one is pretty much true, except for the less intimidating part.

Especially not that part.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
I have mained Mario in every Smash game (except PM, Squirtle). At this point it's character loyalty, but when I played Melee for years with my friends I would get bopped no matter who I chose. So I ended up getting frustrated and decided to exclusively stick to the one character I had the most fun playing and perfect him, Mr. Nintendo. Gimmick-wise, I fell in love with him for the cape. The momentum-stalling, the turn arounds, back in Melee when if you didn't face the ledge you didn't grab the ledge, the gimps, and the reflected fully charged projectiles. I loved turning my friend's strengths against them, and no matter how much the percents were against me, all I needed was a well timed cape to "turn" the tides of battle. Playing Mario feels like being a matador, baiting and being flashy while waiting for the well timed cape and punish. Nowadays I have even more reasons to play him.

Overall I feel like I picked him and stuck with him because he's the most average, jack-of-all-trades character and sometimes I feel like the most average player. If I can do well with Mario, I know that is a direct correlation to myself doing better. Me and Mario will continue to climb the tier list.

Enderwoman

Smash Journeyman
I've noticed that Ganondorf users are more dedicated to their evil gerudo ruler.
Its easy to become pretty dedicated to him when people left and right talk about Ganondorf just to complain about his moveset. The saltiness is amazing.

Last edited:

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
[collapse=Language]

[/collapse]
Ness main here...at least until Mewtwo comes out. Pretty accurate though I don't know if I would say I love myself...Second Greninja and it's accurate in that I played as Mewtwo. Charizard is my third in Sm4sh, and it's kind of accurate because I mained Pokemon Trainer in Brawl.

energonkid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Energon_kid
Switch FC
SW-5446-8459-8780
Bowser and Waifu trainer are pretty accurate. I don't win. And what on earth does r34 mean?

Edit- and what's a furry?

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Pac-Man is spot-on.

I tried R.O.B too, but I think screwing somebody over with DUH LAZURS is less cool than screwing them over with Strawberries and Fire Hydrants.

Top Bottom