• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DLC - Crash Bandicoot - WHOOOOAAAAA!!!!!

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
NewChallengerCrash.png

Crash Bandicoot, one of the most notable and iconic video game mascots of the last 2 decades finds himself lost in the Smash Universe. One of the original 3D platform gamers, Crash has sold over millions of copies and had multiple sequels in his name. Originally a Sony Exclusive, the rights to Crash are owned by Activision currently, whom could port the next Crash game to any system they choose. My concept for Crash in Smash would be based off the physics and style of the original Crash from the first 3 games on PS1. The one that the world was introduced to and loves. I think of him as a nerfed Sonic almost.

Crash's long time foe, Cortex has warped Crash into the Smash Universe.​
CrashSmashBall.png

History of Crash
Crash Bandicoot (1996)
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back (1997)
Crash Bandicoot: Warped (1998)
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortext (2001)
Crash Twinsanity (2004)
Crash of the Titans (2007)
Crash: Mind Over Mutant (2008)

Also a bunch of racing and party games as well.

Statistics
Size:
About Fox/Falco's height
Weight: Same as Falco
Gravity: Same as Pac-Man.
Jump Height: Same as Lucario
Jump Speed: Same as Shulk.
Air Speed: Same as Shulk.
Walk Speed: Not Sure Yet.
Dash Speed: Same As Shulk.
Traction: Similar to Wario.
Can Crawl - Crawl's like how he used to in the game.

Skins: TBA (Coming Soon, Working on Potential Skins other than the Original)

Standard Attacks
Neutral Combo

Almost like Solid Snake. Left Jab, Right Cross, Spinning Jumping Kick with the Right Foot.
Forward Tilt
Same as Mario F-Tilt, jab kick.
Up Tilt
Similar to Wario-F-Tilt, motion of throwings his hands in the air. Also thought about the Fox U-Tilt behind the back upward toe kick.
Down Tilt
Instead of a dash attack, he leans back on his hands and jab kicks you with both feet. Think of a break dancer that falls back on his palms and throws his feet forward.
Dash Attack
The obvious... running forward slide just like from the game.

Forward Smash
Bruce Lee Jumping Spinning Kick
Up Smash
Jumps up maybe 2 inches off the ground and lunges up using his big head. A funny U-Smash would be him doing a quick launch with his jetpack and it "crashing" an inch off the ground but the impact/explosion would be the damage done.
Down Smash
Split -
Just like Fox and Falco pretty much. Another one I had to stay in the Crash/Kung Fu theme would be he puts his arms crossing over each other (think how Goku/Vegeta/etc would enclose their body before charging up or getting angry) and then throwing his fists out in both directions and shouting "Waaahhhhh!"

Ledge Attack
Hops up from the ledge with mini sweeping kick.
'Get Up' Attack
Throws random punches left and right while getting up.
Aerials & Throws
Neutral Air

Belly Flop Spin just like Wario.
Forward Air
Would love for him to do a similar Karate Chop like Luigi.
Up Air
Mario/Ganondorf/Captain Falcon why not Crash as well?
Down Air
The signature belly-flop with the same physics and super armor as Yoshi's d-special
CrashBelly.png

Back Air
Donkey Kong B-Air

Grab
Simple grab with both arms. Grabs opponents from the shoulders, not pulling on a shirt or tugging them.
Pummel
Gives a headbutt or a few quick jabs.
Forward Throw
Spinning Throw
Up Throw
Tosses them up like he used to slow toss his gems and crystals in Crash.
Down Throw
Basic jump and throw them down as hard as you can.
Back Throw
Flips them backwards.

-------

Neutral Specials
Standard - Crash Spinning Attack. You can do this move as much as you want if timed correctly and still be in motion. It can also deflect certain projectiles/energy blasts if timed correctly in the middle of the hit box.

Side Specials
Jet-Board. Think Wario bike. Can jump off, but cannot elevate unless the platform is tilted up.

Down Specials
Standard - Aku Aku! Basically a reflection move that works like Palutena but if opponent touches it, it does minor damage like Fox/Falco Reflectors.

Up Specials
Standard - Up Arrow Crate. Like Sonic calling for his bounce pad or Pac-Man with the trampoline, an Up-Arrow crate appears under Crash and lifts him up. I also considered using the Jet Pack but that would rip off Diddy too much so the crate was more unique in style.

Final Smash - Invincibility Aku Aku
Just run around anywhere you want and just touching your opponent will inflict damage just like in the game. Shield up? Aku Aku with each touch will make the shield weaker at a faster rate like the hammer or Bowser Bomb.

Special Gimmick
No real special gimmick. I'd probably say he could obtain Rage Mode like Lucario to keep up with the Kung Fu gimmick.

Miscellaneous Character Aspects
Entrance

Flies in with his Jetpack, or teleports in like from the Warp Room.
Idle 1
Turns and looks both ways, and then looks at the player and puts his hands up to signal "I don't know?"
Idle 2
Scratches his head with his fingers.
Taunt 1
Suck It! Celebration Dance from the PSX game.
Taunt 2
Raises his eyebrows and does the naughty grin at the player(s).

Taunt 3
Pets the baby Polar Bear from Crash 2.
Victory1
Celebration Dance he does when you complete a level in Crash 2.
Victory2
Stands and turns and looks up at a hologram of the word "Winner", then looks back at the player and does his eyebrow raising grin.
Victory3
Rides in with the baby Polar Bear from Crash 2 like he's riding a wild stallion and throws up the rock-n-roll hand gesture in the air.
Victory Theme
A generic sample of Crash's theme.

Crash Stage
Probably a 2D version of Hang Eight with the groovy surfer music in the background. There'd be moving platforms, the whirlpools randomly coming in the water, and those hazardous explosives in the water.

Support Crash for Smash!

Last edited:
Ok that crash 2 pic with the holohram is amazing.

Anyway CTR was my second video game ever and crash 3 was loke, first 5.

Crash needs to get back into platforming or at least show up im games first but sure ill support on bias alone.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Crash was really great during the late 90's when it was in the inspired hands of Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin but with so many mediocre post Naughty Dog games & that unsightly redesign it seems the owners of the franchise have done everything in their powers to drive it to ruin. Mission accomplished. In the words of Gavin himself "I don’t pay much attention to recent Crash games. For me, He’s like the hot high school girlfriend who put on 50 pounds. I just can’t look." However, Crash surprisingly still has a pretty strong fan base. With that, plus the fact of Crash having some ports on Nintendo consoles, Crash might have a chance at appearing in Smash but, as of now, those chances are pretty slim. He would probably need another major release on a Nintendo console before he'd get in, but, personally, I don't want to see another crumby profit-motivated entry. But Crash appearing in Smash Bros does have my support.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545

You sir, had me the moment I read "Crash". This guy needs to make a video game appearance soon and if he joins, I'm gonna die of happiness with an 90's feud between Mario, Sonic, and Crash

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Name 1 crash game that was on a nintendo system

Hes kindof the same concept as banjo and kazooie.
With pleasure

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex (2002; Gamecube)
Crash Bandicoot: The Huge Adventure (2002; Game Boy Advance)
Crash Bandicoot 2: N-Tranced (2003; Game Boy Advance)
Crash Bandicoot Purple: Ripto's Rampage/Spyro Orange: The Cortex Conspiracy (2004; Game Boy Advance)
Crash Nitro Kart (2004; Gamecube and Game Boy Advance)
Crash Tag Team Racing (2005; Gamecube)
Crash Boom Bang (2006; DS)
Crash of the Titans (2007; Wii)
Crash: Mind over Mutant (2008; Wii)

If that's not enough to convince you, I don't know what to tell you. Crash was pretty hot back in the 90's/early 2000's in which he was more popular than Sonic during Melee's days. Had both Crash and Sonic were playable, it'll be a fanboy dream of seeing three big companies (Sony, Sega, Nintendo) having their biggest icons go at it

Last edited:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I remember this character being very popular back in the day. [Shrugs] Unfortunately, since he's not as popular nowadays, I don't see him making in Smash.

I am honestly surprised, though, that this character didn't make it in Playstation All Stars.

T1000416

Smash Cadet
Those original Crash Bandicoot games were excellent. It all went downhill after CTR though. Such a shame. The Playstation brand was never quite the same for me when he stopped being the mascot too.

Maybe in Playstation Allstars 2 he will.... oh **** it.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Hmm. I've always associated Crash Bandicoot very strongly with Sony, so this doesn't feel right at all.

(Besides if we had to get a character who's hey day was with Sony I'd vastly prefer Spyro, old school Spyro not his new design)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
Name 1 crash game that was on a nintendo system

Hes kindof the same concept as banjo and kazooie.
Not at all, kind of. If anything. it's the exact opposite!
Banjo and Kazooie were originally a Nintendo IP but are now owned by a competitor, Microsoft.
Crash was owned by Nintendo's competitor Sony, but his IP rights currently belong to Activision (and the franchise died soon after the started doing things with it).

There are a fair amount of Crash Bandicoot games on Nintendo systems, already listed above by @ CrusherMania1592 CrusherMania1592 .
Does Crash have a solid chance?
In my opinion, no. Especially considering he is trapped as an Activision IP.

Would he be neat? Absolutely. Mario, Sonic, and Crash pitting it against each other would be an amazing callback to the Console Wars of the mid 90s. But I do not see Crash ever happening outside of a fan game, and I know of one that does have him as a playable character. So play that if you really want Crash in Smash, he's probably never happening in an official title.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
As long as the poor Bandicoot is under Activision, he has no chance of ever being in.

I liked Crash Bandicoot as a kid, mostly because of a friend who was a PS fan and Crash's racing games were similar to Mario Kart. It'll be nice to see him in a game though.

:231:

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
Let's get the facts. Nintendo holds no ownership over Crash Bandicoot, right?
They don't hold ownership over Sonic, Pokemon, or Pac-Man either. So what's your point? There's been Crash games on the Wii and DS in the last 10 years.

Sony doesn't own exclusive rights to Crash anymore and haven't for a long time, activision does.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
As long as the poor Bandicoot is under Activision, he has no chance of ever being in.

I liked Crash Bandicoot as a kid, mostly because of a friend who was a PS fan and Crash's racing games were similar to Mario Kart. It'll be nice to see him in a game though.

Why is this a given?

Does Activision have bad blood with Nintendo? Activision would listen for a chance to make Crash relevant again, because then they can use his Smash popularity to create new Crash games. Crash would fit in more with the Smash Universe than Sony All-Stars Universe.

Sega has a deal to let Nintendo use Sonic.
Namco/Bandai helped Nintendo make Smash 4, that's why Pac-Man is in.
Game Freak is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo, which is why Pokemon are always on Nintendo consoles.

If Ray Man gets in, it's because Ubi Soft made a deal with Nintendo. Why would Activision be any different?

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Why is this a given?

Does Activision have bad blood with Nintendo? Activision would listen for a chance to make Crash relevant again, because then they can use his Smash popularity to create new Crash games. Crash would fit in more with the Smash Universe than Sony All-Stars Universe.

Sega has a deal to let Nintendo use Sonic.
Namco/Bandai helped Nintendo make Smash 4, that's why Pac-Man is in.
Game Freak is pretty much exclusive to Nintendo, which is why Pokemon are always on Nintendo consoles.

If Ray Man gets in, it's because Ubi Soft made a deal with Nintendo. Why would Activision be any different?
Well, Activision hasn't really done much with the franchise after acquiring it in 2008, outside of a few mobile games.

There isn't must of a bad blood between the two companies. The problem moreso is that Sega and Capcom have listened to fans and continue to support their characters, while Activision hasn't. I don't have much faith in Activision, in other words.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Well, Activision hasn't really done much with the franchise after acquiring it in 2008, outside of a few mobile games.

There isn't must of a bad blood between the two companies. The problem moreso is that Sega and Capcom have listened to fans and continue to support their characters, while Activision hasn't. I don't have much faith in Activision, in other words.

Maybe Activision is waiting for someone to buy Crash off of them. Nintendo please save us!

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
They don't hold ownership over Sonic, Pokemon, or Pac-Man either. So what's your point? There's been Crash games on the Wii and DS in the last 10 years.

Sony doesn't own exclusive rights to Crash anymore and haven't for a long time, activision does.
They don't own Sonic and PacMan, true, but pokemon? Eh, they don't own Pokèmon in its entirety like they do StarFox or Xenoblade, but Microsoft and Sony don't own any of Pokemon's stock at all.

Sonic is basically gaming history's #2 guy only second banana to Mario, and pretty much closer to Nintendo than any other Third Party character, while PacMan was in by Miyamoto's desire alone. Crash has nothing going for him though.

Last edited:

Argos

Smash Apprentice

I'm sure quite a few Megaman fans would be surprised to learn that Capcom "have listened to fans and continue to support their characters."

ErenJager

Smash Champion
One problem.

Crash is owned by Activision.

Activision makes Skylanders.

Lending Crash to Nintendo would improve Amiibo line up.

Skylanders is in competition with Amiibo.

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
One problem.

Crash is owned by Activision.

Activision makes Skylanders.

Lending Crash to Nintendo would improve Amiibo line up.

Skylanders is in competition with Amiibo.
That is definitely an obstacle. But would there be no way to work around it? Could Activision make a contract where they get to make the Activision version of the Amiibo that could promote Skylanders in some sort of way? Or perhaps a contract where no Amiibo for Crash would be made at all?

Last edited:

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I would be so happy <3 I requested Omni to make a Smashified version of Crash and its gotten over 100 likes so we might see that very soon hopefully :D

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Yes! Please! Crash Bandicoot is probably the only Third Party character left on the same level as Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, and Pac-Man. Honestly, I hope Nintendo just ends up buying the series (as well as buying back Rare). But that's just a pipe dream.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Even knowing this is extremely unlikely, I'm behind the idea. Crash was one of my favorite series as a child, so if he somehow made it into Smash I'd be pleasantly surprised. :cheep:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Yes! Please! Crash Bandicoot is probably the only Third Party character left on the same level as Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, and Pac-Man. Honestly, I hope Nintendo just ends up buying the series (as well as buying back Rare). But that's just a pipe dream.
Many Sony fanboys would cry heresy, but I imagine Crash was little more than a cash cow for Sony. And since Sony mostly caters to an adult audience these days, I think it would be fitting if Activision sold the ip to Nintendo. With Crash's cartoony antics, he would seem to be more at home with Nintendo. But I'm not sure how the Nintendo community would respond. A lot of Nintendo fanboys still dislike him and the last decade of Crash shovelware really tainted his reputation.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Many Sony fanboys would cry heresy, but I imagine Crash was little more than a cash cow for Sony. And since Sony mostly caters to an adult audience these days, I think it would be fitting if Activision sold the ip to Nintendo. With Crash's cartoony antics, he would seem to be more at home with Nintendo. But I'm not sure how the Nintendo community would respond. A lot of Nintendo fanboys still dislike him and the last decade of Crash shovelware really tainted his reputation.
Yea, but if anyone could bring Crash back to his former glory (besides Naughty Dog), it's Nintendo. He's exactly their style.

Also, I think Crash's Neutral B should be his Wumba Bazooka (did it have a name?). And his Jab combo should be continuous spinning.

Last edited:

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
Yea, but if anyone could bring Crash back to his former glory (besides Naughty Dog), it's Nintendo. He's exactly their style.
Unlike Sonic, Mega Man, & Mario, crash is a very easy character to screw up. His fun zany charm is hard to pull off. As gavin notes "Given the current Crash games, people forget that he was once cool. Our Crash had a certain whimsical edge to him. Sure it was goofy, but it wasn’t dumb. Crash has a deliberate touch of post-modernity, not unlike other cult favorites like Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It’s thematically very different, but the same kind of self-referential meta-cultural quality is there.". In the hands of just about anyone he seems to lose his unique charm and just comes off as flat-out stupid. But i think sakurai could pull it off in smash & I'm pretty certain Miyamoto is talented enough to revive the series if he really wanted to.

Also, I think Crash's Neutral B should be his Wumba Bazooka (did it have a name?). And his Jab combo should be continuous spinning.
My ideal moveset for Crash:

up+b: Jet Pack - as seen from crash 2. It's flight should more closely resemble ROB's up-+b than diddy's
side+b: Fruit Bazooka - you can control the aim just like in the game. Low damage & very little knockback

neutral+b: Aku Aku - Not exactly sure what it should do yet, but I'd like it to hover around crash like in the games. But don't want it to be a simple counter or reflector - there's too many of them.
down+b: Dig - crash digs and crawls around under the ground like in Bee-having & Diggin' it. Short in duration. Can dodge projectiles and whatnot but crash takes increased damage if hit with a down+tilt or down smash. While underground he can spin attack just like in the game.

down smash: leaves a TNT on the ground in similar vain to Snake's down smash. Not exactly sure what it should do yet.
down grab: grabs foe, does a short hop & throws foe downwards into a Nitro crate.
dash attack: his slide move
jab combo: signature spin move that can be extended as you said
nair: should also be his signature spin move, but can't be extended
dair: should be his body slam as OP mentioned

that's all i got so far. I'll edit it when i think of more.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Crash pretty much has no chance...but since he's a character I would love to see in Smash, you can add me to the Bandicoot Bandwagon...

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
I'd like to see Crash Bandicoot in Smash too. Crash was probably the first console game character I've ever seen and one of my favorite characters ever!

@ W WarioWaft @ Kabutops Kabutops
Those are some awesome ideas so far! Even though Crash is very unlikely to be added, I also like to come up with ideas for him.
What music do you think will work for a Crash stage?

Here are some ideas for the music. I tried to pick one song from each Crash game that I played.

Remix - Warp Room / Bonus Rounds (Wrath of Cortex)
Remix - Jungle Theme / Turtle Woods (Crash 2 / Huge Adventure / N. Tranced)
Remix - Bone Yard (Crash 3)
Remix - Crash Twinsanity Medley (Crash Twinsanity)
Original - N. Sanity Beach (Crash 1)
Original - Title Theme (Crash Team Racing)
Original - Pogo Painter (Crash Bash)
Original - Jungle Boogie (Crash Nitro Kart)
Original - Pyramid Pass (Crash Tag Team Racing)
Original - Turf's Up (Crash of the Titans)
Original - Intro Theme (Crash Mind Over Mutant)

Kabutops

Smash Journeyman
What music do you think will work for a Crash stage?
We'd probably only get one stage & it would be most likely jungle/beach-themed. So I'd like the N. Sanity Beach theme from the first game. I feel it is the most emblematic music of the series. The Jungle Theme / Turtle Woods from Crash 2 would also be great.

Retrotator

Smash Cadet
What alternate costumes do you think would be good for Crash?
I think he should have 4 color palettes for his normal look and 4 palettes for his biker outfit.

Costumes:
1. normal
2. normal with Crunch colors
3. normal with Papu Papu colors
4. normal with ? colors
5. biker
6. biker with Cortex colors
7. biker with N. Brio colors
8. biker with ? colors

Top Bottom