• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Magic users are pretty much everywhere especially when it comes to RPGs.
I think the class is long overdue, but I don't think it's likely.
Like @ Arcadenik Arcadenik said, it's not so much about the class/theme as it is about the fighting style. Each Mii class embodies a different fighting style central to the game. "Magic" is more of a thematic element (usually manifested in the form of projectiles) than a distinct play style, so there's not really much point to it.

D

Deleted member

How about a Mii Whiper? (uses a whip as an weapon)
He comes with a whole set of Belmont costumes like Trevor, Richter, Julius, Leon, Christopher.....
What? im the only one who thinks we lack characters that use whips?

Last edited by a moderator:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I want the real deal... Simon Belmont himself, not a Mii cosplayer.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
How about a Mii Whiper? (uses a whip as an weapon)
He comes with a whole set of Belmont costumes like Trevor, Richter, Julius, Leon, Christopher.....
What? im the only one who thinks we lack character that uses whips?
Literally Chibi Robo and Simon Belmont would be the only ones using this class.

Not looking weird isn't a good justification for a new fighter...
It wasn't meant to be.

Last edited:

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
What If Hero & Slime Was Announced For SSB4? [Fan-Made Trailer]
I didn't know that Dragon Quest (1986) came out before Final Fantasy (1987). :4duckhunt:
l;.png

D

Deleted member

I want the real deal... Simon Belmont himself, not a Mii cosplayer.
I also want Simon Belmont more than anything else (even more so than K.Rool, Wolf and Isaac even!). I was just sharing a crazy idea for the heck of it.

And i agree:Simon Belmont as a full playable character>Mii costume wannabe imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

MoveMan1

Smash Journeyman
I just want to point out that the leaked stage pics don't necessary come from someone with the DLC. If you look at them, it's fairly obvious the pics are PR shots. Chances are the leaker doesn't have acess to the DLC, but he does have acess to Nintendo PR stuff. That would explain the lack of character leaks: the leaker works for Nintendo PR, and can't risk being fired over a character leak, but a stage leak is mundane enough for Nintendo to ignore.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza would work better.

Mii Mage wouldn't do solve anything. What niche would Mii Mage cover? Mii Brawler covers hand combat. Mii Swordfighter covers weapons combat. Mii Gunner covers projectile combat.

We have hand combatants who use magic. We have weapons combatants who use magic. We have projectile combatants who use magic.

Well it's MAGIC, you can do a lot with that, status effects, summoning, elements and the like

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well it's MAGIC, you can do a lot with that, status effects, summoning, elements and the like
The Wandering Heroes can do these. :awesome:

Red shirts = fire magic
Orange shirts = combo magic (like Marth's Side+B but applies to all four special moves)
Yellow shirts = earth magic
Lime shirts = sleep magic
Green shirts = stat magic (temporarily buffs self and nerfs opponents)
Cyan shirts = ice magic
Blue shirts = water magic
Purple shirts = poison magic
Pink shirts = smash magic (flashes of red and black lightning)
Brown shirts = summoning magic
White shirts = light magic
Black shirts = dark magic

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't really agree that the roster is even CLOSE to being 3rd party centric...it's not like those characters weren't worth adding.

Sakurai isn't an idiot. He picked those 3rd parties for good reason. It'll start getting bad when some horrible choices are made...like 90% of the 3rd parties that are mentioned. Very few meet agreeable requirements imo.

I'm against removing the 3rd parties. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu enrich the game in their own ways. Removing them removes 4 different series that have their own relevance and popularity.

I also personally hate Nintendo supremacists. Not saying anybody here is one, but there ARE other series out there with great characters. Nintendo isn't the be all end all.
Its not that close, but right now requests for Smash are 90% focused on third-party characters. I guess that's to be expected, because almost all of the most popular and well-known Nintendo characters are already in the game. Because we've already got four of the most iconic game characters out there, its difficult to even imagine them adding many, if ANY more. Which is also why I find it difficult to believe we'll get even more third-party DLC.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I'm not like that but feel like First Party should be the first and main focus before touching anything third party related.

Plus, I hate to be mean, I feel like there isn't a lot of 3rd Party characters on the level of :snake::4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu:.
Most of these characters are video game ICONS and most of the request are characters who are fairly popular but aren't icons in their respective genre or leave a major legacy with Nintendo big enough to not be ignored like :4megaman:.

And the only franchises close to that are Castlevania, Final Fantasy and somewhat Tekken/Soul Calibur (Namco's other two big franchises).

I bring up this question due to how many we gotten in total if he series and how many of them are requested.
Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, Rayman, Mortal Kombat. They are all much bigger than the Soul series.

TylerBlackRunIt

I'm from YouTube
3DS FC
2509-3601-8302
Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider, Dragon Quest, Rayman, Mortal Kombat. They are all much bigger than the Soul series.
Dragon Quest is way bigger than the Soul series.... Hero & Slime for Smash

The next big franchises that have history with Nintendo are Castlevania (Konami), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) , Final Fantasy (Square Enix), Resident Evil (Capcom) & Rayman (Ubisoft).

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Dragon Quest is way bigger than the Soul series.... Hero & Slime for Smash

The next big franchises that have history with Nintendo are Castlevania (Konami), Dragon Quest (Square Enix) ,
Final Fantasy (Square Enix) & Rayman (Ubisoft).
I think Resident Evil, MegaTen and Monster Hunter has more history with Nintendo than Rayman.

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
I think Resident Evil, MegaTen and Monster Hunter has more history with Nintendo than Rayman.
Except the Monster Hunter devs are kinda weird with crossovers. Sure they did have the MGS Peace Walker crossover and the million crossovers within the Monster Hunter games, they're actually quite picky with representation. If we ever did get a monster hunter rep, my guess would be a Felyne.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Well I'm kinda forgetting the Umbrella Chronicles
Me too, but I was too lazy to add them in. :p
To recap.
List of Resident Evil titles that debuted on Nintendo consoles:
- Resident Evil 4
- Resident Evil 0
- Resident Evil (REmake)
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Resident Evil The Umbrella Chronicles
- Resident Evil The Darkside Chronicles
- Resident Evil Gaiden

That's a lot.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
That's not the point I was making.

The point I was making...especially with the Nintendo supremacists...is that there is nothing wrong with adding characters from other companies. Especially considering we have 4 characters, all whom have their own merits to be in Smash, and roughly 50 Nintendo characters.

The inherent quality of the Nintendo characters left to add, at this point in time, are remarkably different from pre-Smash 4 even. Adding a high quality 3rd party is nothing to **** on.
First, you are stating that some people are supremacist, but, again, this is a Nintendo Fighting game. The game celebrates Nintendo, not other companies. This is even further solidified by the fact that fans expect the third party characters to have a strong relation to Nintendo. Check out every third party character support there here and you'll see reference to how the character is important to Nintendo's history. You can be a "supremacist" if the intent of the game was always fighting with Nintendo characters.

To what you said earlier, you are right. The series isn't too third party-centric as only 7% of the current roster is non-Nintendo characters. But, again, this is a Nintendo fighting game. These characters are guest characters and should be few and far between. Given that, one may argue that 4 characters that make up 7 percent of the roster is still too high.

In regards to quality, the quality of third parties is poor when compared to Nintendo. Nintendo can make more characters and a lot of the characters in Smash 4 were either revived in some way (Palutena, Little Mac) or were new (Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Robin, Shulk, Lucina, Dark Pit). Since the game is about Nintendo, any Nintendo character is up for grabs. However, the third parties have always had a higher threshold. One on hand, there are a lot of legal hoops to jump through, so you can add just anyone. And if you are going through all this work, the character needs to be iconic to justify its inclusion. Given the issues, there aren't a lot of good third party characters that will make everyone happen. Basically, there are no more Sonics and Megamans.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
First, you are stating that some people are supremacist, but, again, this is a Nintendo Fighting game. The game celebrates Nintendo, not other companies. This is even further solidified by the fact that fans expect the third party characters to have a strong relation to Nintendo. Check out every third party character support there here and you'll see reference to how the character is important to Nintendo's history. You can be a "supremacist" if the intent of the game was always fighting with Nintendo characters.

To what you said earlier, you are right. The series isn't too third party-centric as only 7% of the current roster is non-Nintendo characters. But, again, this is a Nintendo fighting game. These characters are guest characters and should be few and far between. Given that, one may argue that 4 characters that make up 7 percent of the roster is still too high.

In regards to quality, the quality of third parties is poor when compared to Nintendo. Nintendo can make more characters and a lot of the characters in Smash 4 were either revived in some way (Palutena, Little Mac) or were new (Rosalina, Wii Fit Trainer, Greninja, Robin, Shulk, Lucina, Dark Pit). Since the game is about Nintendo, any Nintendo character is up for grabs. However, the third parties have always had a higher threshold. One on hand, there are a lot of legal hoops to jump through, so you can add just anyone. And if you are going through all this work, the character needs to be iconic to justify its inclusion. Given the issues, there aren't a lot of good third party characters that will make everyone happen. Basically, there are no more Sonics and Megamans.
I don't really have to say anymore. 100% agreed, this is exactly why I don't think we're getting any more third-party DLC (except as Mii costumes) at this point in time. I'm also not really sure how many, if any, third-parties we'd get next game. We might not even get Ryu back.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I actually really enjoyed Umbrella Chronicles. The follow up I wasn't so keen on(whee; shaky cam! Thanks artificial difficulty!), but the Wii really was the perfect Light Gun game console.

Capcom frankly have too many enjoyable options for me to choose from the remainders.

Chris Redfield punches boulders for a living and is as big a name as Jill and Leon are. Honestly I think the three of them are all good RE character representatives...but then you got Wesker too who is far more martial arts based than the rest making him a better Smash fit than the ones shooting real guns.

Honestly though had Dead Rising been on Nintendo consoles I probably would thrown Frank West or Chuck Greene in as my zombie capcom related character of choice.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly though had Dead Rising been on Nintendo consoles I probably would thrown Frank West or Chuck Greene in as my zombie capcom related character of choice.
There was a downgraded remake of the first Dead Rising for Wii.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Chris Redfield punches boulders for a living and is as big a name as Jill and Leon are. Honestly I think the three of them are all good RE character representatives...but then you got Wesker too who is far more martial arts based than the rest making him a better Smash fit than the ones shooting real guns.
I wish I could get behind Chris, but whenever I think of Chris, I think of Resident Evil 5 and 6, and that's not the side of the series I want represented in Smash at all.
I also think of the side of RE1's story that DIDN'T have Barry.

D

Deleted member

Does anyobdy here thinks that the 2 "Marios" are all that's left for character DLC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom