• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK Tactical Discussion: Official "Ask Strong Bad Stuff.. About Stuff" thread

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I use this character with relative success. Ask me questions about how to do things or beat broken characters. =)

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
can we have a changelist for some things that have really changed?

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
A change list will arrive in the coming weeks.
When is the right time to use his neutral b? Is it worth charging up fully?

:phone:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Definitely. Giant Punch is a great move, both to actually use and just apply pressure with. Charging up a huge mega monkey punch convinces people who would otherwise not approach to do so, and when you have it charged you can combo into it (especially on fast fallers)

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
"Relative."

I just find that funny... Might be the alcohol... Not sure.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Didn't you get the memo?
Dear Strong Bad,
How do you type with those boxing gloves on?
Crapfully yours, LockableFaceman.

Little Nemo

The Dream Master
NNID
LockableFaceman
Quick. Someone ask him if he's some kind of robot. Or however that sbemail went.
Do you use any model hacks? Such as DK with boxing gloves or 64 DK?
They don't have to be on DK. Those were just the only two examples I could think of.

:phone:

hamyojo

Smash Ace
Is hitting someone with dash attack as you roll off stage, then hitting them with the first hit of up b a good option?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Depends on the opponent. It sets up FFers pretty well for an edgeguard. Against floatier characters if they DI up it doesn't do much other than damage them. I usually go for Dash Attack -> Nair unless it's super low % though.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
IMO

Smooth Criminal
Wombo Combo ain't go this on this. :smirk:

Also, can DK now approach more effectively cause of his new Dash Attack? Or are B Air still the way to go? Does DK also still have that Melee sweet spot on his Up B with amazing kill power? And also, who are in your opinion his best and worst matchups?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
How good are Side B/Down B and when is it optimal to use them?
I don't use Side-B very much outside of mixing up my recovery. Doesn't have much endlag anymore so it can be used to stall out an edgeguard attempt if used right.

Down-B is AMAZING for tech-chasing. Just about anytime you force a knockdown, Down-B will work if you space it right, and against most characters you can get an upsmash KO or grab -> heavy damage out of it.

Also, can DK now approach more effectively cause of his new Dash Attack? Or are B Air still the way to go? Does DK also still have that Melee sweet spot on his Up B with amazing kill power? And also, who are in your opinion his best and worst matchups?
I don't suggest approaching with Dash Attack (unless you've gained a lot of stage and they're cornered) because of how easily it can be reactionary Dash Danced around against most of the cast. Nair, however, it a pretty good approach now. Bair is still good, but I don't approach with it as much because he has other good options now. His Dash Grab is also useful for getting grabs.
Yeah, he still has that sweetspot.
Best is hard to say, especially in this early of a metagame. I find DK to be one of the least polarizing characters in the game; even against the characters he really beats up like Bowser and Dedede, he doesn't utterly destroy or anything. I'd have to say that his worst match-up is still by far Falco in 2.5.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
side b (on spotdodge read to ground them DUH) -> side b (does not re-ground them, but does not hit them hard enough to knock them out) -> down b (knocks them out) -> neutral b (kills them woohooooo)

best combo

that combo again

side b
side b
down b
neutral b

DO EEEETTTT

Wolf McBlue

Smash Journeyman
Just picked up dk, his range is amazing and I am loving his tilts and nair. Is dair onstage have any use and do we have any options out of dash attack? Also how well is upb on the ground since I seen to never use it all on stage?

$1.05

Smash Rookie
lol you are new to DK. Start using grounded up-b a lot. It's amazing, particularly out of shield. It is basically identical to Melee's (as are a lot of moves) so I'll refer you to SB's amazing frame data post: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298620

DA has tons of options but is pretty dependent on character, percent, and DI but if you can go off the stage/platform with it you can jump cancel it immediately into another move so you can DA to nair or even side-b and more.

Dair on stage people like to try and tech chase with, particularly on platforms, but 9/10 times another aerial or down-b is a better option. Not always as cool an option, but just easier to use.

DK really is a ton of fun. I'm glad people are taking more interest in him.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
how would u reccomend DK play vs floaty characters like jiggly puff and peach? he obviously cant combo them too well (like most characters) so would u recommend spacing attacks, defensive play, or what?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
lots of DD, bair, and charging Giant Punch. against slower floaties charging up punches is really good because it encourages them to approach and you get a 30% damage move to use whenever you want.
Nair's also a good move to be using a decent amount, it does 15% damage and if they DI up can combo into itself.
patience is really necessary against floaties, a hard skill to acquire. I think DK might beat Jiggs. Not sure.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
jiggs is always an odd MU. a lot of stuff that DK does well on the ground (grab set ups, tech chases, out ranging and prioritizing) will be hard to do against her since shes in the air all the time. How do u think her bair would face against his up b? as a gimp meaning. i have never seen this MU haha. if bair goes through up b, then it dives DK a horrible time recovering. i can see DKs fair having some use as well because of its huge hitbox and practically instant KO potential on her.

Stunts

Smash Journeyman
Yo, SB!

I keep using DownB repeatedly on spacies CPU till they reach 70%, and they can't get out of it. I know CPUs cant DI but wa this intentional? How much earlier could you get out of it, if you actually had decent DI?

ELI-mination

Smash Champion
I think the DK vs Jiggs matchup is fairly close to even in P:M. As DK, aside from spacing F-tilts and sometimes B-airs (although risky to be in the air) I do a lot of d-throw -> either n-air or jabs + regrab or n-air, depending on percent. You do not wanna throw jiggs upwards because she's too floaty for any follow-ups. Also, don't DI her d-throw inwards, because that is a guaranteed rest combo for her.

MVP

Smash Ace
Yo strongbad/eli, how do you up-air chain? everytime i do it i get like 2 off.

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Have you guys tried b reversing Forward -> B? It's broken. And after I pound them into the ground I like to dair them slightly delayed and try to read what they will do next and combo a small string of aerials.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
Yo strongbad/eli, how do you up-air chain? everytime i do it i get like 2 off.
don't do it asap everytime. also, if they aren't spacies or falcon, you're only going to get 2-3 at most anyway

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i claw my index finger on Y and then c-stick w/ my right thumb. dunno if that was what you wanted.
additionally if you SHFF a uair correctly you don't need to l-cancel it.

fabreezial

Smash Rookie
Hey man, I'm new to the smash scene and have casually played for years, maining DK. I've watched a lot of your videos and have learned a lot. Can you explain DI to me, specifically with DK, as if I were 5 years old? I understand that tilting my control stick changes how I move after getting hit, but can you tell which way to move it in specific scenarios? Thanks.

Attila the Hun

Smash Ace
NNID
Aedrenaline
3DS FC
2208-4906-7922
How to do you get grab-jump-cargouthrow-jump-punch to work so well? After I get it the first time, they always get out of it, but you do it two or three times against even Kage.

MVP

Smash Ace
How to do you get grab-jump-cargouthrow-jump-punch to work so well? After I get it the first time, they always get out of it, but you do it two or three times against even Kage.
This along with only being able to do 1-2 up-airs is what i was asking earlier. I can't seem to do it either.

Top Bottom