• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dimensional Cape Drift (3.5 only!)

JABS

Smash Cadet
JABS here! Barely three days had passed since Project M 3.5 was released. No sooner had I stretched the abilities of his new Dimensional Cape than had I found a neat exploit. Upon investigating further, I found a new way to use his DC. I apologize for not having this thread up sooner, I had no means to record the footage and so I had to seek assistance. But the long awaited Dimensional Cape technique thread has finally arrived. So without further ado let's get started!

Introduction

On late Friday, the 14th of November 2014; Project M 3.5 was released along with a seemingly endless change list for every character. Included in this change list were numerous nerfs for our favorite flying masked menace Meta Knight, four of which immediately stood out: 3 total air jumps, SSBB d-air with 8 frames of L-canceled landing lag, reduced grab range, and a change in the properties of Dimensional Cape. Many have accepted most of these changes as necessary in the process of balancing the game, and many have completely broken down with pessimistic thoughts of never being able to see Meta Knight in competitive play ever again against the new might of the King of Evil, Ganondorf (I highly doubt) and the now trio of top tier spacies. (Slight Dramatization)

Regardless of who is right or wrong about the justifiability of Meta Knight's nerfs, one thing remains certain: Dimensional Cape is not useless. To those who have lost faith in Meta Knight, this thread should spark a beacon of hope. To those who persist as devoted mains of the masked warrior, this thread will provide a powerful new technique to add to the arsenal of the Meta Mind Game.

Technique: Dimensional Cape Drift
Difficulty: Hard

By using the momentum shift when exiting DC (which still exists despite the change list saying otherwise), Meta Knight can still move around in very strange ways as many of you have already noticed. One distinguished example is where you exit out of DC and while holding up in any direction as he exits, he flies around all slick-like (that is until he goes into free fall and flops upon the ground). Realize that those physics enable the use of Momentum Influence, the key to allowing this technique. While most will laugh at the punishable display of idiocy they will laugh no longer once they get baited into a sinister mind game utilizing the unexpected Dimensional Cape.

Useful Terminology

DC – Dimensional Cape
DCS – Dimensional Cape Slash
Move – any distance (even none) moved during DC by manual user input
Shift – translation from Move to Slash (this distance is part of the DCS animation)
Momentum Influence (MI) – by using the C-Stick at the end of the Move, MK will be discreetly pulled in the direction the C-Stick was pressed
  • UMI – Upward MI
  • DMI – Downward MI
  • FMI – Forward MI
  • BMI – Backward MI
Drift – ability for user to apply additional Move after exiting DC

((Huge thanks to 9bit for all his help by performing the demonstrations for us!))

Many have already exploited the ability to Drift (regarding it as a silly gimmick/bug) by simply timing movement of the Control Stick after exiting DC; however, character control becomes extremely poor and normally results in a transition to special fall in which case MK will either flop (onstage) or drop (offstage). The secret to performing Drift correctly and consistently is enabled only by the use of MI; and the key to performing Drift safely and effectively is proportional to each player’s knowledge and familiarity with its physics.

Standard Dimensional Cape

Dimensional Cape with BMI /// Dimensional Cape with UMI /// Dimensional Cape with FMI
--------------- ---------------

Looking closely, we can see MK moves by a few pixels, this shows the existence of MI. “Hey wait a minute! There’s no demonstration for DMI!”

Note that performing downward MI (DMI) from a grounded DC effectively does the same as upward MI (UMI), only difference being that it becomes slightly more difficult to perform a Drift. It’s still important to realize that DMI is not the same as UMI as DMI contributes to an aerial DC.

Dimensional Cape Drift Demonstrations

Upon exiting DC, a flash will appear above MK; the user only has the first few frames of this flash (exact count needed) to input MI conjoined with Drift input. Keep in mind that the C-Stick and the Control Stick are not pressed at exactly the same time, rather the Control Stick should slide into action slightly after the C-Stick is moved. The Drift can be crouch cancelled at any time.

The above demonstration displays a basic Drift. :GCCU: + :GCR:

The above and below demonstrations display a forward Drift performed after a Move. :GCCU: + :GCR:

You can even grab the ledge if the Drift takes you too far, just make sure to hold towards the ledge when you leave the stage since automatic ledge grabbing is not guaranteed​

The above demonstration displays a backwards Drift after a forward Move, creating a slingshot-like effect. :GCCU: + :GCL:

Flicking the C-Stick opposite the direction that MK is facing upon exiting DC will turn him around but only during specific frames. If the user tilts the C-Stick in any diagonal direction, the MI can be used to change MK’s direction as well. The result of this becomes a Drift performed with MK facing the opposite direction.

:GCCUL: + :GCR:

:GCCUL: + :GCL: after a forward Move

Strike from above
By pressing the C-Stick and the Control Stick in upward directions together, MK can launch into the air for a short time before going into special fall; however, by fast-falling quickly, MK can land back on the stage with zero lag.

:GCCUR: + :GCUR:, :GCD:

:GCCUL: + :GCUR:, :GCD:

:GCCU: /:GCCUR:+ :GCR:

Conclusion
The possibilities are endless. Take flight with this new arsenal of mindgames at your disposal; take them to the tourney and force your opponents to keep guessing as they wind into inevitable defeat. The masked menace Meta Knight has returned with different characteristics but is no less merciless in style. Remember not to be too predictable with this technique as all Drifts are telegraphed by DC. Keep your skills and ego in check and you'll surely dominate the battlefield. Until next time!

Closing notes
  • For MI, Technically Z can be used as well in unison with the Control Stick, but it’s inefficient and inconsistent performance-wise, and is better to stick with the C-Stick for now. However the use of Z in unison with the C-Stick is still being explored.
  • Opposing momentum (Something like :GCCL: + :GCR:) has yet to be explained, but will be edited in at a later date once better understood.
  • Once again a huge thanks to 9bit for helping out!

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
My region's collective mind will be blown. Also not telling the only other good MK main about this. :denzel:
Thanks guys!

Last edited:

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nice guide! Now it's just a countdown until PMDT remove the trick... :denzel:

Last edited:

Espi

Smash Journeyman
Ya, a little bird told me that they are gonna remove it along with stuff like the IC infinite. RIP

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
Keep taking things away from us. We will find more. We are tenacious. We are Meta Knight players.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
I personally don't see them taking this out. I have a feeling it would be hard to do, and it's not like this makes MK op. I'm not going to be able to try this until Sunday probably, but it looks like this is pretty hard and doesn't give you too much of an advantage. It does give an AMAZING way to grab the ledge from the other side of the stage, but as an approach option and such it's not necessarily broken, just really cool haha

You never know though, PMDT PLEASE I NEED THIS

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Oh my god I can't wait for the next tourney I go to only to edgehog using a DC drift from the other side of the stage and see the guy's reaction LMAO

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Ok so I've been in the lab with this for about 25 minutes and I have to say that the reverse forward drift and forward move is extremely useful. As long as you tap the c-stick to the corner opposite to the ledge, no matter which way you are facing you will slide backwards towards it and grab it. Very useful in battle when you might not have time to make sure you're turned facing towards or away from it. I'm going to incorporate this into my gameplay way more then a healthy amount hahaha

Espi

Smash Journeyman
This will definitely be patched in the next release, like no questions asked. But it all depends on when.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I can occasionally forward drift and moon drift but any tips on pulling off the rainbow arc?
It's kinda tricky. Press the C-stick up diagonal and the control stick up diagonal within like 1 frame of each other. Very very quickly together, basically. After that it's just timing when to hit them, really. Keep at it!

JABS

Smash Cadet
@ kinggainer kinggainer (and everyone else)
When pulling off a ground to aerial Drift, You don't need to use C-Stick necessarily, simply time the control stick. The reason C-Stick is used is because it uses MI which makes grounded Drifts do-able to perform, or else you would have to transition the control stick from up to left or right within 1 frame, which is ... kinda hard. Also for the most part you have more sense of control when using the C-Stick. Just saying.

Last edited:

kinggainer

Smash Rookie
So going from ground to air you don't need the C-Stick inputs? Because some times I can MDI into the air but it's always coming out at a lower altitude and I drop into a recovery state instead of how the rainbow arc is.

Or rather I might say my problem is that I can't get the fast fall and I am forced into a free fall.

Sorry, i'm just trying to understand exactly how the inputs should be so I can figure out where i'm messing up.

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
@ kinggainer kinggainer
Keep in mind how DC works in 3.5; from the time you exit DC into a drift of any sort, you only possess a certain amount of frames before a check of some sort realizes that you've been in DC long enough, and automatically puts you into special fall. (For our example lets say we have 30 frames to work with, MK is on left stage facing right). If we DC and exit with :GCCUR: +:GCUR:, and time it correctly, MK will fly into the air. Once you exit DC and perform a drift, we have a total of 30 frames before MK is automatically put in Special Fall. If MK is on the ground before 30 frames are up, he lands with zero lag. If he is still in the air on the 31st frame though, the game will put him into special fall.

Basically if you ever choose to take to the skies with a drift, you have 30 frames (or however many it really is cause 30 is just an example) to fast fall / get to the ground ASAP. once you input the commands, and MK flies into the air, simply roll the Control Stick downward ASAP. If you are going into Special Fall and MK looks as if he sort of moves horizontally a bit at the end of the drift in the air, it means you were too late. Keep trying.

Last edited:

kinggainer

Smash Rookie
Ah that makes way more sense because I was waiting until the peak of the drift to fast fall which is obviously too late. Thanks a bunch! Now to get this down right and terrorize with abstract approaches. B)

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399

WTF is this ****? I was just about to post about using full hops and wavedashes more makes you a better player, but this just confirmed Meta Knight is top tier! Must go to tier list thread!

Rizner

Smash Ace
Is it possible to do this after moving during the DC? So like, dimensional cape to move up towards a platform, then c-stick and reflick control stick to slide off the platform with more momentum?

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Is it possible to do this after moving during the DC? So like, dimensional cape to move up towards a platform, then c-stick and reflick control stick to slide off the platform with more momentum?
Yes it is. There are a couple of gifs of this, such as the "Forward Drift from Forward Move" one, where you move in the same direction of the drift, therefore extending it. You don't need to reflick the control stick, just move the c-stick at the right time, much easier to do that one without a move imo.

I haven't tried a drift out of the air like you're describing (chances are you wouldn't appear grounded on the platform), but I'm sure that it would work fine. You just need to move the control stick too, but you don't need to put it back to neutral and flick it like a no-move drift.

Rizner

Smash Ace
Yes it is. There are a couple of gifs of this, such as the "Forward Drift from Forward Move" one, where you move in the same direction of the drift, therefore extending it. You don't need to reflick the control stick, just move the c-stick at the right time, much easier to do that one without a move imo.

I haven't tried a drift out of the air like you're describing (chances are you wouldn't appear grounded on the platform), but I'm sure that it would work fine. You just need to move the control stick too, but you don't need to put it back to neutral and flick it like a no-move drift.
Ah, cool. I wonder if people can get this down to move from the ground to platforms similar to Zelda upb in 3.02

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Ah, cool. I wonder if people can get this down to move from the ground to platforms similar to Zelda upb in 3.02
You can go perfectly onto platforms when you strike, but in 3.5 when you don't strike there's the weird quick cape flip that has lag, so it's not especially useful. You can use the strike to tech chase onto platforms though, which can be really good if you get the read and space the DC correctly.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
inb4 reverse moon rainbow arc drift plus pro to ledge grab back air edgeguard

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Woah. Gonna do this out of Moonwalks

DON"T PATCH

Last edited:

Kneato

Totoro Joe
So I was messing around with this. Here are my findings.
  • There is a 2 frame window to input up: frames 4-5 of MK's reappearance.
  • If you input up before this window, MK will shift up but won't be able to drift.
  • If you input up after this window, no shift or drift will occur.
  • You don't necessarily need to use C stick up on these frames, control stick up works as well. Drift is possible as long as control stick up is pressed for at least one frame between 4-5 after the reappearance. Because the game registers C stick input as a control stick direction plus A for one frame, it can trigger the drift.
  • That said, it is very difficult to do a grounded drift using the control stick method (would have to roll the control stick from up to side within a frame or two)
  • However, the control stick method makes performing the rainbow arc easier.
  • There is no specific timing for inputting the desired drift direction. As long as shift was properly triggered during the 4-5 window, you can make MK drift at any time before the end of the reappearance animation.
God I love debug mode.

Last edited:

KayB

Smash Master
BRoomer
At first I thought this was a pretty useless technique outside of a few stylish mix-ups here and there because this required you to teleport in place first. But apparently you can warp anywhere you want and still have the pseudo-wavedash? Am I understanding that correctly?

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
... This seems a lil tricky on YS

EDIT 2: Seems like on PS2 you can get a sneaky ledge grab from ether platform with the drift
EDIT 3: you can do that on a few stages
Even on top platforms
Does not WORK on YS

EDIT 4: Found a thing

(when you go off platforms you can manipulate the fall) BTW down b + forward + drift = half the size of PS2

I was testing what (legal) stages you could straight up do a moon drift from a platform, to grab edges and I found something new(?). When you slide off platforms, you can still manipulate the drift. This allows you to basically moon drift, and grab and ledge from any platform, granted, you slide off the platform. This is needed for the following stages: (ya'll can mess with GHZ & smashville if you want)

1) Battlefield
2) Yoshi's Story (all platforms)
3) Dreamland (side platforms)
4) Skyworld (side platforms)
5) Wario Ware (all platforms)
6) Lylat (outer platforms)

NOTE: Skyworld is sorta interesting, hell, I didn't think you would be able to do this there lol. With the right side, from the top platform, you can ge the right spacing to go straight into a teeter. You might be able to do some sick stuff with that tid bit.

Where you can straight up moon drift, from a platform and grab the edge (spacing may be require):

1) PS2
2) Dreamland (top platform)
3) Battlefield (top platform)
4) Fountain of Dreams
5) Yoshi's Island

Moon Drifting can not grab the edges, from a platform, on the following stage(s):

@ JABS JABS

EDIT 5 HLY **** HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY ****

ok

so you can jump then down b into the ground then input stuff and you can drift off that huhhhhhhnggggggjizzzzzzzzpantsdesu
just did some crazy **** a moment ago hnnnnnnng

EDIT 6 ****ing lol ofc I would be the only person awake

So far here is what I have with the new finding:
Basically, full jump, once you see the " * " move the sticks where ever you want, and mk will go there. You can even spin the c stick around and he will do loops and **** lmao

PS **** special falling
That would be so broke if it wasn't for that

Another edit
You can drift almost horizontal
Meaning you don't have to fall off platforms, ninja to way there.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
At first I thought this was a pretty useless technique outside of a few stylish mix-ups here and there because this required you to teleport in place first. But apparently you can warp anywhere you want and still have the pseudo-wavedash? Am I understanding that correctly?
yes

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
... This seems a lil tricky on YS

EDIT 2: Seems like on PS2 you can get a sneaky ledge grab from ether platform with the drift
EDIT 3: you can do that on a few stages
Even on top platforms
Does not WORK on YS

EDIT 4: Found a thing

(when you go off platforms you can manipulate the fall) BTW down b + forward + drift = half the size of PS2

I was testing what (legal) stages you could straight up do a moon drift from a platform, to grab edges and I found something new(?). When you slide off platforms, you can still manipulate the drift. This allows you to basically moon drift, and grab and ledge from any platform, granted, you slide off the platform. This is needed for the following stages: (ya'll can mess with GHZ & smashville if you want)

1) Battlefield
2) Yoshi's Story (all platforms)
3) Dreamland (side platforms)
4) Skyworld (side platforms)
5) Wario Ware (all platforms)
6) Lylat (outer platforms)

NOTE: Skyworld is sorta interesting, hell, I didn't think you would be able to do this there lol. With the right side, from the top platform, you can ge the right spacing to go straight into a teeter. You might be able to do some sick stuff with that tid bit.

Where you can straight up moon drift, from a platform and grab the edge (spacing may be require):

1) PS2
2) Dreamland (top platform)
3) Battlefield (top platform)
4) Fountain of Dreams
5) Yoshi's Island

Moon Drifting can not grab the edges, from a platform, on the following stage(s):

@ JABS JABS

EDIT 5 HLY **** HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLY ****

ok

so you can jump then down b into the ground then input stuff and you can drift off that huhhhhhhngggggg****zzzzzzpantsdesu
just did some crazy **** a moment ago hnnnnnnng

EDIT 6 ****ing lol ofc I would be the only person awake

So far here is what I have with the new finding:
Basically, full jump, once you see the " * " move the sticks where ever you want, and mk will go there. You can even spin the c stick around and he will do loops and **** lmao

PS **** special falling
That would be so broke if it wasn't for that
Yeah, you can do plenty. I never included the things you could do from the air because I could only ask 9bit to do only so much, I wasn't going to force twenty or so different movements for him to record. We only needed the basics for the guide. But yes you can do loops and lots of other things. Once I get more testing in for aerial drift, Ill include it in the guide. Sorry to burst your find, but I already knew all that. However, what you can try doing for me (since i'm really busy with projects and my wii is broken) is trying to perform another DC from an air to ground drift, but perform the DC using some remaining momentum from the previous drift. For better understanding, if you short-hop and DC as fast as you can, MK will sorta rise above the ground while doing DC because he's using momentum from the jump. So I wanted to try using momentum from the drift to do the same thing and see if he rises higher when you do the second DC. Keep in mind this may or may not work.

PS: Random trivia for people that play Wolf, try canceling his side-b on inclines like skyloft stairs. He'll perform a moonslide.

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
lol I was more excited than I needed to be

Last edited:

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
I'll mess with it and post back if I find anything

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
You can jump dc into the ground and then do a moon arc
Yeah, you can do plenty. I never included the things you could do from the air because I could only ask 9bit to do only so much, I wasn't going to force twenty or so different movements for him to record. We only needed the basics for the guide. But yes you can do loops and lots of other things. Once I get more testing in for aerial drift, Ill include it in the guide. Sorry to burst your find, but I already knew all that. However, what you can try doing for me (since i'm really busy with projects and my wii is broken) is trying to perform another DC from an air to ground drift, but perform the DC using some remaining momentum from the previous drift. For better understanding, if you short-hop and DC as fast as you can, MK will sorta rise above the ground while doing DC because he's using momentum from the jump. So I wanted to try using momentum from the drift to do the same thing and see if he rises higher when you do the second DC. Keep in mind this may or may not work.

PS: Random trivia for people that play Wolf, try canceling his side-b on inclines like skyloft stairs. He'll perform a moonslide.
Any chance you could rephrase that request?
@Jolteon thoughts on this drift thing?

Last edited:

JABS

Smash Cadet
...Nah, don't worry about it. It's too complex to explain accurately in words without miscommunication. I'll just try it in a few days when I use my friend's wii.

Top Bottom