• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demon Lord Ghirahim's Fabulous Horde of Stunning Features! CONFIRMED ASSIST TROPHY APPEARANCE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543

It was Ghirahim's Theme mixed in with Ballad of the Goddess in the Smash Direct to anybody who doubted it......
I legitimately held even a slight bit of hope that Ghirahim was in because of trophy theory...

Well, at least I'll be able to replay it constantly while I brood over Ghirahim's not-very-fabulous fate.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Impa, Vaati and Tetra are the only ones I can think of right now.

I'd love to see Impa if she is more like her Hyrule Warriors self. That is, ninja-ish but with strong, powerful attacks, instead of the quick moves Sheik has.
Tetra would be cool too, but I'm not sure how they could make her unique.
And Vaati would be honestly the best choice right now. A fully magic-based character that relies on spells and transformations would be a nice addition to the roster. Also he'd represent the Minish race. We already have Hylians and a Gerudo (because Ganondorf will be back for sure), so having another race would be great. Also we need MORE VILLAINS.
You're forgetting Ganon. Y'know, the big pig incarnation of evil and stuff? That one. It'd work with the main character/alternate appearance thing the roster has now for LoZ (link/toonlink, zelda/sheik and thus possibly ganondorf/ganon).

Either way, it's getting pretty scary now in terms of character deconfirmations. Ghirahim I felt had potential despite his shallow resume. Who's next to get the axe?

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
You know, some people have been speculating Ghirahim being shown as an Assist Trophy was a decoy for his grand playable reveal.

Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, nor do I think he will will ever be included via DLC, but it's a funny thought.
I would love to see him barge in to another character's reveal trailer.

"How dare they relegate me to a random Assist Trophy?! I am Demon Lord Ghirahim, and I will not stand for this! Prepare to be amazed, Smash fans! I will do something no other 'Assist Trophy' can do!!"

*Mewtwo and Ridley are fighting, pans to an Assist Trophy on the, rumbling, glass breaking, and suddenly Ghirahim bust free dramatically*

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
You know, some people have been speculating Ghirahim being shown as an Assist Trophy was a decoy for his grand playable reveal.

Obviously I don't believe that to be the case, nor do I think he will will ever be included via DLC, but it's a funny thought.
I would love to see him barge in to another character's reveal trailer.

"How dare they relegate me to a random Assist Trophy?! I am Demon Lord Ghirahim, and I will not stand for this! Prepare to be amazed, Smash fans! I will do something no other 'Assist Trophy' can do!!"

*Mewtwo and Ridley are fighting, pans to an Assist Trophy on the, rumbling, glass breaking, and suddenly Ghirahim bust free dramatically*
That would be awesome. *Sigh, but I think there's just no chance they'd reveal him as an assist trophy if he were actually playable... unless he was somehow an assist trophy and also a playable character? Inconceivable!

No but seriously, there's no way they'd do that.

Pega-pony Princess

Smash Lord
NNID
auraoftwilight
3DS FC
2938-6383-8579
That would be awesome. *Sigh, but I think there's just no chance they'd reveal him as an assist trophy if he were actually playable... unless he was somehow an assist trophy and also a playable character? Inconceivable!

No but seriously, there's no way they'd do that.
Didn't Sakurai show toon link as just a trophy at first in Brawl though?

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Didn't Sakurai show toon link as just a trophy at first in Brawl though?
I'd try to research that, but it'd probably be way too difficult. It'd be funny if that were true, though, as he did end up being a secret character. Toon Link seems to be a special case. Him being on the train was quite misleading, but still, Assist Trophies seem to be the place where characters go to die. Too requested to not include, but for some reason didn't get picked by the inscrutable Hacky-Sak.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442

Man...you don't know what you have until it's gone...
I sort of took Ghirahim for granted, so to speak, before this.
I was 50/50 on him, but my intuition failed me because I secretly felt like it could happen.

So when this showed up it took a much larger toll than I expected. I'll admit I got a little sulky. It was frowns all around.

Dunno, just feels like a horribly missed opportunity.

And the hate is real.
I feel like I've been damned to an eternity of insults, "I-told-you-so"'s, and so forth.

The worst part is that unless he appears in another couple mainstream Zelda game in a few years, or Sakurai goes crazy unprecedented and reveals playable Assist Trophies for DLC, he will never be playable in Smash Bros.

And around the time when another leak is making me dread the remaining days, and this is simply the WORST timed disconfirmation in the history of ever.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
The worst part is that unless he appears in another couple mainstream Zelda game in a few years, or Sakurai goes crazy unprecedented and reveals playable Assist Trophies for DLC, he will never be playable in Smash Bros.
Ghirahim's lack of staying power was his downfall. But hey, at least there's Hyrule Warriors.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix

Man...you don't know what you have until it's gone...
I sort of took Ghirahim for granted, so to speak, before this.
I was 50/50 on him, but my intuition failed me because I secretly felt like it could happen.

So when this showed up it took a much larger toll than I expected. I'll admit I got a little sulky. It was frowns all around.

Dunno, just feels like a horribly missed opportunity.

And the hate is real.
I feel like I've been damned to an eternity of insults, "I-told-you-so"'s, and so forth.

And around the time when another leak is making me dread the remaining days, and this is simply the WORST timed disconfirmation in the history of ever.
I'm glad you posted this, because you're seriously not alone. I've been trying to convince people I know for months that he'd be awesome and he's basically sure-fire. I just don't understand why another Zelda character wouldn't make it, or if it did, why it wouldn't be Ghirahim. There's new FE and KI characters galore, why not Ghirahim? Swallow sadness. Send some faxes.

Super, super huge missed opportunity. If another skyward sword character gets in over him, I seriously might go completely bananas.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ghirahim's lack of staying power was his downfall. But hey, at least there's Hyrule Warriors.
I know you mean well, but this really does not help.

I'm going to buy Hyrule Warriors. I was always going to. But Smash Bros. is one of my favorite games. Smash Bros. is at least 25% percent of my well being.
Hyrule Warriors is a game that I ultimately will play for a few days on and off for a year or until they stop supporting it with DLC. Smash Bros. is a game that I will play for years to come almost nonstop. It is part of my soul, so that fact that a character I not only enjoy myself, but strongly believe should become a mainstay of Nintendo's library, upsets me on a very high level.

As I said, I'm a little sulky. I've been dramatically sighing every time I do just about anything. I seriously wrote done today's date on a piece of paper, and then sighed because the preceding day was the death of my favorite villain's chances.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
It all depends on if Nintendo wants to use Ghirahim again. The ending of Skyward Sword left Ghirahim's fate ambiguous. So, he could return in a future Zelda title to avenge Demise and antagonize Link. He doesn't have to revive Demise. Maybe attempt to kill off the bearer of the Triforce of Courage so his descendants don't use it to defeat the other villains. Hopefully Ganondorf doesn't hijack the plot but if he does, I hope Ghirahim would stop him because that would ruin his chances if he ends up serving someone else again.

As for the Assist Trophies becoming playable through DLC, I'm all for it but it all of course depends on if Sakurai wants to do it and if he does, Ghirahim would not only have to compete against all the other AT's announced and unannounced but also from his own series. He would have to compete against Midna, Tingle and Skull Kid.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
You know, seeing that Ghirahim asist trophy makes me kinda sad, not so much about him not being playable, but because it reminds me that outside of Hyrule Warriors, we'll probably never see him again in a Zelda game, wich is a shame since one of the reasons i supported him was that he ended up being one of the most memorable villains in Zelda history. But sadly he'll most lkely be pushed aside and never be mentioned again, like Zant, Vaati or soon to be Yuga.
I guess in a way i wanted him because his appearance in Smash Bros could have given some longetivity to the character, just look at Shiek, but sadly it just didn't came to be.
So goodye my sweet prince, or should i say Lord.
Ghirahim forever :shades:

Last edited:

a Link to the Forums

Smash Journeyman
Do I think it was a missed opportunity? Yes, but being an assist trophy is still great. If being playable is like winning an Olympic gold medal then being an AT is like a getting a silver medal. If anything, this helps Ghirahim's chances for Smash 5 and if Eiji Aonuma or Nintendo decides to use Ghirahim again for a future Zelda game (which I seriously hope they do) then I'd think Ghirahim to be a near shoo-in for the next Smash game.

And maybe that could happen but probably not. But I'm convinced Nintendo absolutely loved Ghirahim, his cockiness, his flamboyancy, his... pure fabulousness. It's clear they put a lot of effort into him more so han the others. He was VERY different from any other Zelda villain or even Nintendo villain for that. And I think Nintendo drew inspiration from Ghirahim when creating Yuga, they are pretty similar to each other. And since he is quite popular, just look at how people have reacted to him being an AT. So yeah, I'm not counting out Ghirahim for future games. Smash or Zelda.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
If the Zelda Wii U happens BEFORE Skyward Sword in the timeline... it could be a possibility... maybe...

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Do I think it was a missed opportunity? Yes, but being an assist trophy is still great. If being playable is like winning an Olympic gold medal then being an AT is like a getting a silver medal. If anything, this helps Ghirahim's chances for Smash 5 and if Eiji Aonuma or Nintendo decides to use Ghirahim again for a future Zelda game (which I seriously hope they do) then I'd think Ghirahim to be a near shoo-in for the next Smash game.

And maybe that could happen but probably not. But I'm convinced Nintendo absolutely loved Ghirahim, his cockiness, his flamboyancy, his... pure fabulousness. It's clear they put a lot of effort into him more so han the others. He was VERY different from any other Zelda villain or even Nintendo villain for that. And I think Nintendo drew inspiration from Ghirahim when creating Yuga, they are pretty similar to each other. And since he is quite popular, just look at how people have reacted to him being an AT. So yeah, I'm not counting out Ghirahim for future games. Smash or Zelda.
Nooooo, don't say that, the silver medalists are always the most depressed! If playable character is gold, and assist trophy is silver, then regular trophy/sticker/song/stage is bronze. Bronze medalists are always happier than silver medalists.

As long as we're on the subject, being a stage boss is like being an assist trophy, it's winning the silver medal. I think we all know where this is going.

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
Nooooo, don't say that, the silver medalists are always the most depressed! If playable character is gold, and assist trophy is silver, then regular trophy/sticker/song/stage is bronze. Bronze medalists are always happier than silver medalists.

As long as we're on the subject, being a stage boss is like being an assist trophy, it's winning the silver medal. I think we all know where this is going.
So the Yellow Devil and Find Mii Emperor get silver medals?:troll:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Never expected him to be playable in Smash, he's just not big enough in the overall franchise. I will enjoy playing as him in Hyrule Warriors however, and I suggest everyone here pick up Hyrule Warriors to play as him too.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Never expected him to be playable in Smash, he's just not big enough in the overall franchise. I will enjoy playing as him in Hyrule Warriors however, and I suggest everyone here pick up Hyrule Warriors to play as him too.
As I said before, this doesn't really help.
Especially if you preface it with "he had no chance".

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I remember the same feeling happening to me when Midna didn't get in Brawl... So I know how you must feel, bro. It was either Ghirarim or no Zelda newcomer at all. I don't get why people are expecting Impa, to be honest.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I remember the same feeling happening to me when Midna didn't get in Brawl... So I know how you must feel, bro. It was either Ghirarim or no Zelda newcomer at all. I don't get why people are expecting Impa, to be honest.
You say that as if some of us didn't want Midna in Brawl.
Believe me, I wanted her intensely.
Right after Sanic.

Speculator

Smash Ace
As I said before, this doesn't really help.
Especially if you preface it with "he had no chance".
Not everyone is here to console you. I didn't think he had much of a chance either, I saw him very much in the same vein as Skull Kid and Midna and Zant. Popular characters, but ultimately only important to one game in the LoZ franchise and therefore very small next to characters like Link and Ganondorf. With playable appearances in Hyrule Warriors I think this has changed for some, but too late to have any influence on SSB4.

Speculator

Smash Ace
What is that supposed to mean?
Don't antagonize me over this.
I'm just saying, don't expect everyone to come here and express sympathy. Some people just come to share their opinion after a deconfirmation, even if it doesn't necessarily 'help' the character's support base.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm just saying, don't expect everyone to come here and express sympathy. Some people just come to share their opinion after a deconfirmation, even if it doesn't necessarily 'help' the character's support base.
That wasn't what I responding to, it's the "at least there's Hyrule Warriors, guys" thing that doesn't help.

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
You say that as if some of us didn't want Midna in Brawl.
Believe me, I wanted her intensely.
Right after Sanic.
I didn't want it to come off that way. But you can see clearly as day, that Midna's support for Smash 4 wasn't even remotely that big like during the pre-Brawl days.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
You don't know me, but I assure you I wanted Ghiry in Sm4sh more than (almost?) all of you. He was my most wanted character by quite a bit. Geez this recent deconfirmation sucks.

Can't say I blame Sakurai, though. He was probably a one shot character, unless Hyrule Warriors counts...at least I'll get to play as him there.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
You don't know me, but I assure you I wanted Ghiry in Sm4sh more than (almost?) all of you. He was my most wanted character by quite a bit. Geez this recent deconfirmation sucks.

Can't say I blame Sakurai, though. He was probably a one shot character, unless Hyrule Warriors counts...at least I'll get to play as him there.
Welcome to the boards! Geez, He was one of my forbidden trio: Ghirahim, Krystal and Paper Mario.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
idk if anyone said anyfin about it, but here's what I noticed wrong with his model. Copypasta from another forum.

I found out what's wrong with Ghirahim's Sm4sh model.

Here's my Photoshop:

compare with what it actually is:

see? It lacks the eye shadow. Huge improvement.

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
This.
I was upset Midna wasn't playable, but its okay because she has the most OP AT in the game.
Some possibilities I can come up with are:

1. He materializes daggers and launches them at opponents. Hopefully they would be in a line or have homing properties, could be difficult to avoid, but I couldn't see them doing much damage.

2. Running around slashing people. Kinda generic, if Sakurai does this I hope he adds some other stuff into the mix as well. Probably teleportation.

3. Summing a floor of magic, like he did in the final fight and Hyrule Warriors. Unless it did damage or somefin I can't see it being "helpful".

4. Summing walls of magic. Depending on how long they lasted this could make a big difference, would be even better if they did damage.

5. Creating a tornado or using magic lightning bolts. Honestly pretty unlikely considering he only uses each power one time in Skyward Sword, but hey.

Obviously I'd prefer him to do all of that and more, but if I had to pick just one...the magic walls seem pretty useful. Though he does have his sword out so he'll be doing at least some slashing, he's not one of those characters who just carries it around all the time just cause -- in Skyward Sword he only had it when he was actually using it.

This is related, I don't know if anybody posted it before.

it's pretty beautiful

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
It's become like a ghost town here...
Well, we know what Ghirahim does now, so that's nice!

"Ghirahim appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. He moves like an acrobat and will attack with both sword and knife. Attacks against him will not fell him, and he can even teleport back into action should he get launched off the stage."

So you can hit him, but he bounces right back. Still a horribly missed opportunity.

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
It's become like a ghost town here...
Well, we know what Ghirahim does now, so that's nice!

"Ghirahim appeared in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. He moves like an acrobat and will attack with both sword and knife. Attacks against him will not fell him, and he can even teleport back into action should he get launched off the stage."

So you can hit him, but he bounces right back. Still a horribly missed opportunity.

Not gonna lie, pound for pound he's a way cooler sword user than Shulk---I mean, Shulk can use his sword to change his in game properties, but couldn't Ghirahim have had a move that switched things as well, as in the number of swords he would be using and his form? And Ghirahim would have had a counter move as well. Saying this out loud I'm starting to think that Ghirahim was passed over for Shulk since their game mechanics would have been similar. That, and apparently the Zelda franchise characters are remaining completely untouched. If all leaks be true, then not only is Zelda not getting a new rep, but Ganondorf is staying a clone. THIS IS MADNESS..

♦ Neosquid ♦

Smash Apprentice
Not gonna lie, pound for pound he's a way cooler sword user than Shulk---I mean, Shulk can use his sword to change his in game properties, but couldn't Ghirahim have had a move that switched things as well, as in the number of swords he would be using and his form? And Ghirahim would have had a counter move as well. Saying this out loud I'm starting to think that Ghirahim was passed over for Shulk since their game mechanics would have been similar. That, and apparently the Zelda franchise characters are remaining completely untouched. If all leaks be true, then not only is Zelda not getting a new rep, but Ganondorf is staying a clone. THIS IS MADNESS..
Gotta say man, Shulk deserved it more, being the star of his own game, which happens to be from a series new to Smash. I did want Ghirahim more, but I can't let my Ghiribias get in the way of my judgement.

I don't think Shulk's inclusion is related to Ghirahim's status as an Assist Trophy anyway. They both use swords, but I wouldn't say that means a whole lot.

Where did we get this Ghirahim information? Was it in the direct? I still need to watch that...

Edit: didn't know all that info was in the "how to" section

Last edited:

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Gotta say man, Shulk deserved it more, being the star of his own game, which happens to be from a series new to Smash. I did want Ghirahim more, but I can't let my Ghiribias get in the way of my judgement.

I don't think Shulk's inclusion is related to Ghirahim's status as an Assist Trophy anyway. They both use swords, but I wouldn't say that means a whole lot.

Where did we get this Ghirahim information? Was it in the direct? I still need to watch that...

Edit: didn't know all that info was in the "how to" section
"Deserve" is a strong word, I don't know if Shulk or Ghirahim deserve anything per se, but semantics aside, Ghirahim would have been cooler to play as. I'm sure you're right in that Ghirahim didn't get the boot because of Shulk, but still...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom