• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DeMille's Tomato Hating Fanclub! A thread for the bunny star of Tomato Adventure

Do you think DeMille is a good choice?

• Yes

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Who??

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • I want Patharan!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman

Who is DeMille? Why, DeMille is the star of the Japan-only GBA game Tomato Adventure. Tomato Adventure is an RPG similar in vein to the Mario and Luigi series. In fact, Tomato Adventure inspired the Mario and Luigi series and is made by the same company, AlphaDream. On a holiday called Tomato Day, a man named King Abira with an invention that turns people into dolls and toys kidnaps his girlfriend Patharan. The outcasted tomato hating hero soon joins forces with his friends Aretha, Sofubi and Rereku to save his girlfriend Patharan (who was kidnapped) as well as the Ketchup Kingdom (his home, where almost everyone loves tomatoes).

What can DeMille do? Well, because he has to save the town and his girlfriend you would expect him to have some sort of weapon wouldn't you? Well, he does! He actually has more than one. They are known as "Gimmicks" and are sort of like toys he uses to fight. Some of them are actually summons. The video below should be able to give some sort of idea. I see tons of moveset potential simply from the one video.

Arguments:

1. Isn't DeMille too obscure to be in Smash?
Sure, DeMille is obscure but it has never been officially stated that Sakurai won't pick characters that are too obscure. In a sense, I can consider some characters in the game already as obscure. I, and I am sure many others had never heard of Mr. Game and Watch, Ice Climbers, Lucas, Marth and Roy before they were put into a Smash game. Besides, as soon as a character is put into Smash, the character becomes pretty well known anyways.

2. Doesn't DeMille being Japan only hurt his chances? Honestly, yes it does but he is not impossible. If Sakurai likes the character enough and thinks players will warm up to him/her I think he will have no trouble adding them even if he sort of said otherwise. Besides, if the character in his eyes fits his criteria what is to keep him from adding the character? He has actually sort of done this before with Marth and Roy in Melee. In fact, DeMille was included on Sakurai's Brawl poll TWICE. The only other Japan only character to do so was Lucas (and look at him now). Of course, this doesn't mean DeMille is by any means guaranteed but it might be a good thing to take into account.

3. Demille is neither a retro, currently relevant or extremely popular so what makes him a good choice? This too is true and I think this is one of DeMille's biggest hurdles. Tomato Adventure came out in 2002 which is more than 10 years ago. Unlike the current revealed newcomers for Smash 4, DeMille has absolutely none of this but I feel if the character has potential and fits Sakurai criteria he has a chance, no matter how small. Besides, Sakurai has been unpredictable before with characters so there is still a possibility.​

Some cool fanart for DeMille:

Feel free to post all you want about DeMille below!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did some guy in Japan watch attack of the killer tomatoes and demand it be made anime and into a game?

RadRedi

Smash Journeyman
I think, when it comes to moveset potential, Sakurai wouldn't have a very hard time incorporating all of his gimmicks into a character. The bigger issue is whether or not Sakurai would deem him worthy of being a character.

That being said, I would be overjoyed to see DeMille as a playable character, though, I'm literally the only person in my sphere of influence who would even know who he is.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I remember playing the hell out of Tomato Adventure eons ago. Demille wouldn't be difficult to implement, really! The only thing I wonder is what else his moveset could be like aside from using Gimmicks...

But the thing is that he's beyond unheard - AlphaDream has completely moved on to Mario & Luigi-games and even then, this game's so Japan-only...

I can only hope they make Demille an Assist if there's any good way to tribute at him, but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom