• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delfino Plaza: Stage Research

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Today we look at Delfino Plaza, a returning stage from Brawl. It's much the same as before so very little of this should come as a surprise to Smash veterans.

Shoutouts to @Piford who requested this stage.

Previously Covered
Kalos Pokemon League
Mario Galaxy
Coliseum
Gamer
Wii Fit Studio
Kongo Jungle 64
Windy Hill Zone
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Orbital Gate Assault
Woolly World
Skyloft
Garden of Hope
Mushroom Kingdom U
Wuhu Island
Mario Circuit

Layout
Delfino Plaza is a travelling stage like Skyloft and Wuhu Island and thus does not have a consistent layout. Instead one of four main platform setups carry players around Delfino Plaza to one of nine different stops where they duke it out for a while before another platform setup carries them off to the next location. The primary platform that carries players around can be jumped through from below and has grabbable ledges, while the secondary platforms above are standard.

Players 1 and 2 start on either side of the primary platform, while Players 3 and 4 start towards the middle. The Omega form floats over a void.

Delfino Plaza has no hazards of any sort.

Platforms
The base platform that carries players around is consistent, but there are a total of 4 different platform setups that can spice up the geometry. The stage always starts with the first such setup pictured below, but afterward shuffles between all 4 randomly with no discernible pattern.

In all cases the base can be jumped through from below and has grabbable ledges. The secondary platforms above are all standard.

Name|Picture
Platform 1|

Platform 2|

Platform 3|

Platform 4|
Points of Interest
The stage can stop at 9 different locations to give players a change of scenery. Each stop lasts for about 18 seconds. Unlike other transforming stages, players get no warning when the platform is about to reappear to carry players off.

Of note is that when the platform arrives at the location, it descends as usual but also fades out of existence rather quickly. Players on high platforms will then fall to the ground normally.

Name|Picture|Notes
Bianco Square|
|Water below instead of void. Ledges cannot be grabbed.
East Island|
|Water below instead of void. Ledges cannot be grabbed. Palm tree is not a platform.
Docks|
|Center water is shallow enough to stand. Water on left side is deep enough to swim. Walkoff on right side. Wall on left side prevents swimming to the blast line, but with a small amount of standing room on top that creates its own walkoff. Awning is a standard platform.
Pillars|
|Water below instead of void. All ledges are grabbable.
West Island|
|Water below instead of void. Despite appearances, players cannot swim directly onto island and must jump. Ledges cannot be grabbed. Palm tree is not a platform.
Umbrellas|
|Water is shallow enough to stand. Walkoff on right side. Wall on left side prevents walking to the blast line, but with a small amount of standing room on top that creates its own walkoff. Umbrellas are standard platforms.
Rooftop|
|Walkoff on left side. Ledge on right side cannot be grabbed.
Noki Bay|
|Walkoff on both sides.
Shine Gate|
|Side platforms have grabbable ledges and can be jumped through from below.
Island Tour
Much like Skyloft and Wuhu Island, Delfino Plaza follows a 4-stop tour pattern where it visits four different locations before returning to the start position and going around for another cycle. Unlike Skyloft and Wuhu Island, it lingers at the start position for a period of time equivalent to a normal transformation cycle, approximately 18 seconds.

Each of the four stops selects from a couple of transformations.

Stop 1: Bianco Square or East Island. Data suggests an alternating pattern.
Stop 2: Docks, Pillars, or West Island. Data suggests the Docks are the most common, appearing approximately 50% of the time, with the Pillars and West Island appearing 25% of the time each.
Stop 3: Umbrellas or Rooftops. Data suggests a simple 50% probability for each.
Stop 4: Noki Bay or Shine Gate. Data suggests Noki Bay is more common, appearing 67-75% of the time.

Worth noting is that as the stage moves and transforms, the blast zones tend to shrink and expand. Early kills, especially off the top, are relatively commonplace.

Summary
  • One of four platform setups with consistent base platform.
  • Initial platform setup is always the same, random between transformations otherwise.
  • 9 different locations to stop at.
  • Transformations last approximately 18 seconds each.
  • Stage gives no warning when about to move on.
  • Stage lingers at start position for another 18 seconds after every four stops.
  • Each stop can only be one of a few different possibilities.
  • Stop 1 can be Bianco Square or East Island.
  • Stop 2 can be Docks, Pillars, or West Island.
  • Stop 3 can be Umbrellas or Rooftops.
  • Stop 4 can be Noki Bay or Shine Gate.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I'm posting here so I can find this thread tonight when I put together the ceiling height stuff, good stuff Drone.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
blast zone data?
Not something I typically cover in these threads, mostly because it's tedious as hell. The few exceptions are for the sake of comparing to a standard, usually BF or FD. There are other threads in the Academy that go over that, have a look around.

Ansou

Smash Ace
NNID
Ansoulom
3DS FC
4897-5959-9210
I really feel that this thread should mention when the low blastzones appear. That is probably the most important thing to know about this stage.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I really feel that this thread should mention when the low blastzones appear. That is probably the most important thing to know about this stage.
You're probably right but I have very little idea myself of when it happens. I think the pillars have a naturally low ceiling maybe and that's about it.

Top Bottom