• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6, 2014] Ish, Now (Ann Arbor, Mi)

stewyian

Smash Ace

Hi everyone! Ksev and I are here to bring you a new series featuring smash 4 Wii U. We hope for these tournaments to be held monthly! Smash 4 on the Wii U will be the main event, however as of now we will include Brawl and Project M singles. We look forward to bringing the smash hype to our school and play some hype sets!!!!!

Tournament Organizers
Ian (Stewy) - 734-578-7023
Nate (Ksev) - 586-248-1263

Venue Information Schedule
Pierpont Commons East Room
2101 Bonisteel Blvd
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Parking / Venue location
http://imgur.com/RojCEFR

Events
Venue Fee: 5$
Smash 4 Wii U Singles: 5$
Smash 4 Wii U Doubles: 5$
Brawl Singles (capped at 32 entrants): 5$
Project M 3.5 (capped at 32 entrants): 5$

Note*- if you bring a setup, you're venue fee will be refunded if you stay the entire length of the bracket, a brawl setup consists of a CRT, Wii with brawl disc, and all characters / stages unlocked. A PM setup consists of a CRT, Wii, SD card with PM current version on with it, and all characters and stages unlocked. For Smash 4, a setup consists of a monitor, Wii U, Gamecube controller adapter, and all stages / characters unlocked.
Smash 4 singles will consist of pools, followed by up to a 32 man bracket, if we have more than 32 entrants, we will have to do pool cutoffs depending on number of entrants. Brawl, Smash 4 doubles, and PM singles will only consist of a bracket.

Tentative Schedule
10:00 AM- Door opens
10:30-12:00PM - Free play and Friendlies
11:00 AM - registration for all events open
12:30 PM - Smash 4 doubles bracket begins
1:00 PM - Project M singles bracket begins
3:00 PM - Smash 4 singles pools begin
4:00 PM - Brawl singles begin
6:00 PM -Smash 4 singles bracket begin
11:00 PM - Michigan traditional Bdubs hype!!!!

Note - registration for each event closes 30 minutes prior to the events start time
Note - We are on a strict schedule, depending on attendance we may be cutting it close since we have to leave the venue by 11:00 PM and are running 4 events. Please be considerate of your fellow smashers and TO's and be on time, also be aware of the time and listen for your name to be called for matches, let us know if you leave for any reason to avoid any issues. If myself or Ksev do not know your whereabouts and your match is called, after 5 minutes you will forfeit game 1, and after 5 more minutes you will forfeit the set. If we wish to keep running four events, we need your help to run the tournament efficiently!

Note*- ARRIVE EARLY IF YOU WANT TO GET A LOT OF FRIENDLIES IN!!!!! Once the brackets start, there will be very little time for friendlies until the last events start to come to an end.
Payouts:

Entrants <30
1st: 60%
2nd: 30%
3rd: 10%

Entrants >30
1st: 48%
2nd: 22%
3rd: 14%
4th: 8%
5th: 4%
5th: 4%

Ruleset
Smash 4 singles and doubles-

Singles will consist of pools followed by a 32 man bracket
Determining pool priority
1) number of set wins

2) if two or more players are tied in set wins, priority is then determined by number of game wins
3) Is two players are tied in set wins and game wins, head to head determines the priority
4) if 3 players are tied in set wins, and game wins cannot determine priority further and a three way circle of head to head occurs, a round robin of 1 stock three minutes will then be played.

Starters:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and city
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:

Skyloft
Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Duck Hunt Stage
Kongo Jungle
Castle Siege
Any Omega stage
*If someone bans Final Destination, all Omegas are also banned.

General Rules

-3 Stocks
-8 Minute Time Limit
- Items set to "Off" and "None"
- All infinites and chain grabs are legal.
- There is a Ledge Grab Limit of 50for all characters. If a game goes to time and one player goes over the Ledge Grab Limit for their character, they will automatically lose the game. If both players exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then this rule is ignored.
- The act of stalling is banned: stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinites, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.
- Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
-If the Ledge Grab Limit does not declare one player the winner, the winner will be declared by what the game says in all situations, except for when players are presented with sudden death:
* In the event of a match going to time, the winner will be determined by who has less percent (stock difference still takes priority but will be shown in the results screen).

* If the match ends with both players dying at the same time (either coincidentally or via suicide move) or if time ran out with both players at equal percent, a one stock three minute rematch will be played on the same stage. For a tie-breaker match, a Ledge Grab Limit of 18 is used for all characters.

For Doubles
- Team Attack set to "On"
- Life stealing is allowed.
- In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
-In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
- It is mandatory, unless all parties agree, to pick a character color outfit consistent with your team color.

For both singles and doubles
1. Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
2. Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
3. Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
4. The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
5. The first match is played.
6. The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
7. The Team that won the previous match may announce two "Stage Bans" if they have not already done so in this set.
8. The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counterpick Stage List. Any Stage named as a "Stage Ban" by the either Team may not be selected. DSR is on, meaning you cannot counter pick any stage you have previously won on in the set.
9. The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
10. The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
11. The next match is played.
12. Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

DSR is on for both singles and doubles, meaning you cannot counter pick your opponent to any stage you have won on throughout the duration of the set.

Brawl singles -

Stage List

Starters
Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi’s Island (Brawl)

Counterpicks
Battleship Halberd
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate
Rainbow Cruise

2 stage bans per person after game win, DSR is on, all set procedure and conduct rules same as above with the exception that Meta Knight has a ledge grab limit of 35 instead of 50 for all other characters. In the event of a one stock 3 minute tie breaker game, Meta Knight has a ledge grab limit of 15 and all other characters have 18.

PM singles -
Starters
Battlefield
Smashville
Distant planet
Dream Land
Green Hill Zone
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks-
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Warioware
Skyworld
Yoshi's Island

4 stock 8 minute timer, set procedure and counter picking are the same as above.

The above general rules for PM apply where appropriate
The losing player gets 3 bans, the winning player cannot counter pick a stage they previously won on.

Note* - this ruleset is not by any means finalized and is tentative
Note*- BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER

GENERAL RULES
-Coaching is not allowed. Coaching is the act of whispering into someones ear or sending them signals in any way while a tournament set is going on. It does not matter what you say into the players ear or what you signal to them, if you need to say to someone during a tournament set, say it loud enough for both players to hear to avoid any issues, if its personal information, it can wait until the set is over. The punishment for coaching can be the loss of a game or set if multiple occurrences are reported after warnings are given out.
-The act of pausing is not allowed unless agreed upon by the players, if someone pauses and you cannot determine among yourselves what happens, grab a TO. Although pausing should be turned off, it is up to the players to do so before the match starts. If a player pauses and is in a disadvantageous position, (i.e. offstage, mid throw etc.), the player who paused will be forced to forfeit their current stock. If pause is in a neutral stand point, the initiator of the pause will be forced to grab the ledge after the pause starts, and will resume the match on the ledge in a disadvantageous spot. If the initiator of the pause is in a advantageous spot, the situation will be returned to neutral. If the players cannot agree on what the situation is, the TO's reserve the right to say what the current situation is deemed.
- if any of the previous in unclear, you can always ask me or Ksev to make sure
- The act of stalling is banned: Stalling is intentionally making the game unplayable: Such as becoming invisible, continuing infinite’s, chain grabs, or uninterruptible moves past 300%, and reaching a position that your opponent can never reach you.Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller): Players are expected to bring their own controller and be prepared for every tournament set.
- Pause can be requested off and that request cannot be denied. If one pauses mid-match, the person who initiated the pause loses their current stock. If the pause causes the opponent to lose their stock (Such as interfering with recovery), the person who initiated the pause loses two stocks.
- Players who use the Wii Remote must take the batteries out of the Wii Remote when not playing. If the Wii Remote is still synced up to a Wii with the batteries in, you could unintentionally disrupt a match. If problems persist, a DQ may happen.
-You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility (including battery issues with a Wii Remote), so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. Both parties need to agree if a match is to be paused or restarted because of these problems.
- Intentional forfeiting, match fixing, splitting, and any other forms of bracket manipulation are not allowed and punishable by the TO.
- No substitutions are allowed for singles or doubles.
-Coaching is allowed only between games, not during. Failure to adhere to this will lead to punishment at the TO's discretion, which could include the removal from the venue.
- DQ Rule: Arriving too late for a match will result in a DQ. Player(s) will have 5 minutes to show up before a loss of the first match. 5 more minutes results in a loss of the set. For doubles, both players on a team need to be present in order to play.
- The tournament organizer has the right to save/record any tournament match if possible and has the right to upload said match.
- Regarding textures and other game hacks:
* Players may request that any texture, stage, or other hacks be disabled during a tournament set. If this is unable to be done, they may switch to a different setup if available.
* The BBR-RC recommends players do not use intrusive texture and stage hacks.
* Players are not allowed to use any game altering hacks, such as no-tripping or model hacks. If someone is caught setting up a system they brought with such hacks enabled can face punishment at the TO's discretion.
- Disrupting your opponent physically or intending to disrupt their play (through something such as screaming in a player's ear) will result in a warning. Repeated action will result in disqualification from the tournament and possibly ejection from the venue. Observers who physically disrupt players are to be dealt with as the Tournament Organizer sees fit. Disqualification is recommended if possible, and ejection from the venue is also a punishment.

•These rules are subject to change leading up to the event date. The Tournament Organizer reserves the right to remove you from the venue at his discretion for any reason.

•The Tournament Organizer and his assistants, and any persons helping run the event may not be held liable for any lost, stolen, or damaged goods during this event. Nor will the Tournament Organizer, the venue, its owners, affiliates, employees, members, sponsors, or volunteers be held liable or responsible for any injury or harm that may befall a person during the course of this event. By entering the venue during the posted date you are displaying your agreement with this policy.

Campus rules
Smoking is not allowed on the campus, if you have to smoke, do it in your car please. No alcohol is allowed in the venue as well, lastly, be prepared to clean up after yourselves please.

Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/events/716586155116339/?ref=br_tf

Last edited:

me9595

Smash Apprentice
I would like to point out that there is a bdubs in downtown Dearborn so we wouldn't have to go far to find one.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
I could bring a set up but I don't think I could bring this monitor... and ya Stewy you ready to win dubs ;o?

stewyian

Smash Ace
Yea we bout to go ham haha, and I'm hoping to figure something out about monitors very soon for people who want to just bring Wii U's and no monitors, if I can find people to loan me some extra monitors, ill let you guys know.

*Also, if you guys could use the feature at the top of the thread to let us know if you are attending the event that would also help alot.

Last edited:

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
I'll be bringing one full Smash 4 setup, not too sure if i want to lug around a Brawl/RejectM setup.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Not sure what I will be doing about setups...
I have a full brawl/PM setup, but I don't have a monitor for an otherwise complete Smash 4 setup.

Also I am interested in the doubles.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
Yea we bout to go ham haha, and I'm hoping to figure something out about monitors very soon for people who want to just bring Wii U's and no monitors, if I can find people to loan me some extra monitors, ill let you guys know.

*Also, if you guys could use the feature at the top of the thread to let us know if you are attending the event that would also help alot.
As a matter of fact I got a computer monitor I can bring and use for my wii u but I would have to use the game pad for audio... And even then i would need the GCC adapter since i dont use gcc lol

FF WuvS

Smash Ace
NNID
Lostmagic103
This isn't too far from me, so I should be able to come and stream. Looing forward to my seasonal Smash reunion <3

Ori_bro

ignite the fire
This isn't too far from me, so I should be able to come and stream. Looing forward to my seasonal Smash reunion <3
Gonna bust out that Wonky Kong is PM and that Butt Hunt Dog in Smash 4 bro?

Last edited:

stewyian

Smash Ace
yea, since project M singles and Brawl singles are capped at 32, and are side events, they will be first come first serve, Smash 4 will not be capped

Last edited:

stewyian

Smash Ace
I would like to point out that the University of Michigan Dearborn is a smoke free campus, which means smoking is not allowed on the campus. If you guys need to smoke, please do it in your cars, the parking lot is not far from the venue. While we're on the topic I would also like to point out alcohol is extremely prohibited at this event. Lastly, please be respectful to the school property, and be prepared to clean up after yourselves.

stewyian

Smash Ace
We have just updated the thread immensely, the smash 4 rule set is among these changes, and is still subject to change

Vayseth

Smash Master
Will be going and my car has 3 people and 2 complete Smash 4 set ups right now. We can still probably squeeze one more person in if someone needs a ride. We're out by Lakeside Mall in Sterling Heights.

stewyian

Smash Ace
May possibly be a venue change to Mason hall in Ann Arbor, will let you know finalized venue Monday at the latest. Also, if we do this at the current venue, minors have to fill out a quick form of some quick medical issues if any, and parental signature, I apologize for the inconvenience, the person we originally talked to at the venue at first said we'd be ok with what we were planning on doing, and they just keep changing the rules on us now, like I said i'll let you know about the venue Monday, just wanted to keep you guys updated.

Planet God Venus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyugaVII
May possibly be a venue change to Mason hall in Ann Arbor, will let you know finalized venue Monday at the latest. Also, if we do this at the current venue, minors have to fill out a quick form of some quick medical issues if any, and parental signature, I apologize for the inconvenience, the person we originally talked to at the venue at first said we'd be ok with what we were planning on doing, and they just keep changing the rules on us now, like I said i'll let you know about the venue Monday, just wanted to keep you guys updated.
Hope it's in Dearborn, going to Ann Arbor sux

BenDrawsComics

Smash Rookie
Probably obvious question, sorry, but what time do sign-ups for Smash 4 singles end?
And would a minor need a parental signature only if they have a health problem, or...?

Cold Shadows

Smash Rookie
NNID
TravisShadows04
3DS FC
1418-7461-4257
Are 3DS allowed to be used as controllers at the tournament for Smash Bros Wii U?

Top Bottom