• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 20, 2014] NWM presents The Pacific Northwest Regional - Apex World... (Des Moines, WA)

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Shooot so pools/brackets are up; super stacked as expected. My butt isn't ready. ; ^; May we all get rekt swiftly.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Shooot so pools/brackets are up; super stacked as expected. My butt isn't ready. ; ^; May we all get rekt swiftly.
If I win round 1 of Smash 4, I'll probably be facing Captain L, the #2 seed behind only M2K.

I'm terrified.

(Also, I didn't expect Yoshi's Island in the slightest.)

Last edited:

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
I will be there on saturday most likely for the whole day. If anyone in the kirkland/redmond/kenmore/bothell/bellvue area needs a ride let me know.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
what time and day is hte smash 4 part of the tourney?
Setup begins at 9:30, doors open at 10:30.

Smash 4 starts at noon. At-the-door entry is closed an hour prior to starting.

It is a double-elimination tournament the whole way through, with no pools.

The top-8 should finish around 7pm, according to the event's Facebook page.

I'm in group R. Look out for *this* noob?

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Setup begins at 9:30, doors open at 10:30.

Smash 4 starts at noon. At-the-door entry is closed an hour prior to starting.

It is a double-elimination tournament the whole way through, with no pools.

The top-8 should finish around 7pm, according to the event's Facebook page.

I'm in group R. Look out for *this* noob?
Doors are supposed to open at 10:30, but last time I checked the fb page, Chris said to not come until 11am; can't remember the reason why but they might end up running late or something. IIRC it's on one of the top posts on the page, if anyone wants to check if I'm wrong.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Doors are supposed to open at 10:30, but last time I checked the fb page, Chris said to not come until 11am; can't remember the reason why but they might end up running late or something. IIRC it's on one of the top posts on the page, if anyone wants to check if I'm wrong.
It ran late. Very late.

The doors pretty much opened at noon. Smash U started up around 1:30-is after everything was said and done.

It sucks that only 4 of us brought a Wii U for an 80-man tournament.

That being said, it was very fun, and Mew2King really is worthy of his name.

I'll go again to the next one.

(I was the giant in the Russell Wilson Seahawks-jersey)

Last edited:

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
It ran late. Very late.

The doors pretty much opened at noon. Smash U started up around 1:30-is after everything was said and done.

It sucks that only 4 of us brought a Wii U for an 80-man tournament.

That being said, it was very fun, and Mew2King really is worthy of his name.

I'll go again to the next one.

(I was the giant in the Russell Wilson Seahawks-jersey)
Oh yo, I was the Asian dude in a hoodie who told you to tell PSike that our Melee doubles match got called lol. The match was one of the first of the day, Black Yoshi vs Black Rosalina? Neat lol. How'd you do in bracket?

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Oh yo, I was the Asian dude in a hoodie who told you to tell PSike that our Melee doubles match got called lol. The match was one of the first of the day, Black Yoshi vs Black Rosalina? Neat lol. How'd you do in bracket?
Oh, I got knocked out in my first round of losers', LOL.

Technically it was round 2. Round 1 of losers was a bye for me.

Saying I "got wrecked" is an understatement, especially considering my cut-short money-match with Mew2King. THAT was amazing, but oh-so-brutal.

Last edited:

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
That reverse falcon punch big d nailed in top 4 was so epic. This ran way longer than i thought but it was a great 12 hours!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
I just realized who GimpyFish was.

=O

I used to main Bowser in Smash 4, pre-nerf.

Now I'm strongly considering maining him again, sheerly to carry on the legacy of the greatest Bowser main in Melee-history.

If not in Smash 4, in PM because he's one of the playtesters for it.

This tournament was amazing. Slow-as-balls, but amazing.

(Also, I had to leave before finals... Boo!!!)

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Saying I "got wrecked" is an understatement, especially considering my cut-short money-match with Mew2King. THAT was amazing, but oh-so-brutal.
btw sideslick i have some video of your money match with m2k. If you want ill send it to you!

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
btw sideslick i have some video of your money match with m2k. If you want ill send it to you!
Feel free to upload it to YouTube and post the link.

I'd like to study it at some point.

Also, your Meta Knight was pretty impressive. I'll get you next time!

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
Feel free to upload it to YouTube and post the link.

I'd like to study it at some point.

Also, your Meta Knight was pretty impressive. I'll get you next time!
Its up on youtube but it wont let me post the link. Just search m2k vs Sideslick.
Also thanks!

Espi

Smash Journeyman
ggs everyone
shoutout to Big D for taking M2K to game 5 in pm Losers finals.

Last edited:

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Are videos being uploaded? I want to see M2K vs The Darkest Man Alive.
All I know about is my money-match with M2K. I'd like to see that M2K Vs. Dawson-match I keep hearing about.
Okay, fine. Here's that train-wreck of a money-match:

T0MMY

Smash Master
First impressions mean a lot for our region and SSB4 (Wii U) is a new game with a lot of new players. As a longtime host I know the difficulty trying to keep events running "by the book" and still be fun/enjoyable for the attendees, to address some of the issues mentioned:

Starting/Ending late - I didn't think it was too much of an issue as far as just my own opinion goes, but I think having to wait out in the cold with the rain just exacerbated the situation. I don't think there was any problem to offer those in line a place to wait inside (or at least most of them).
Limited Setups - Having some setups guaranteed for the event would help a lot. I think every single setup was attendee-provided; Offering discounts for people to bring in setups would have been a great option.
Ambiguous ruleset - No stagelist was given prior to event. People were not made aware of other last-minute rules which resulted in competitors being DQ'd (myself included). The website did not (and still does not as of this post) have any ruling regarding character bans posted. Well, kind of goes without saying, but simple solution to any ruleset issues is having a solid ruleset publicly posted with ample time so this does not happen.
The staff could have been more polite - refraining from swearing and telling the attendees how bad they are through a bullhorn would be a good start. Hope the staff is reexamined.
The staff could have been more organized - Just shouting out matches to be played on "whatever setup you can find" might work in small locals, but a more professional organization using a PA system and and some proper equipment (or at least numbering the setups) would have made a clear statement how the venue fee was being used for the attendee.
Bracket "Seeding" - having some of the best players in their respective areas play against each other first round is just plain backwards. The solution to this is kind of obvious about not messing with the brackets.

I've known the tournament director, Chris, for a number of years and have been a returning customer of his so I know he'll do his best to address these issues for next time. Looking forward to bigger/better events in the future.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
First impressions mean a lot for our region and SSB4 (Wii U) is a new game with a lot of new players. As a longtime host I know the difficulty trying to keep events running "by the book" and still be fun/enjoyable for the attendees, to address some of the issues mentioned:

Starting/Ending late - I didn't think it was too much of an issue as far as just my own opinion goes, but I think having to wait out in the cold with the rain just exacerbated the situation. I don't think there was any problem to offer those in line a place to wait inside (or at least most of them).
Limited Setups - Having some setups guaranteed for the event would help a lot. I think every single setup was attendee-provided; Offering discounts for people to bring in setups would have been a great option.
Ambiguous ruleset - No stagelist was given prior to event. People were not made aware of other last-minute rules which resulted in competitors being DQ'd (myself included). The website did not (and still does not as of this post) have any ruling regarding character bans posted. Well, kind of goes without saying, but simple solution to any ruleset issues is having a solid ruleset publicly posted with ample time so this does not happen.
The staff could have been more polite - refraining from swearing and telling the attendees how bad they are through a bullhorn would be a good start. Hope the staff is reexamined.
The staff could have been more organized - Just shouting out matches to be played on "whatever setup you can find" might work in small locals, but a more professional organization using a PA system and and some proper equipment (or at least numbering the setups) would have made a clear statement how the venue fee was being used for the attendee.
Bracket "Seeding" - having some of the best players in their respective areas play against each other first round is just plain backwards. The solution to this is kind of obvious about not messing with the brackets.

I've known the tournament director, Chris, for a number of years and have been a returning customer of his so I know he'll do his best to address these issues for next time. Looking forward to bigger/better events in the future.
-The late start and the standing in the rain was unacceptable. I can't defend that. We had electronics on us. We're nerds, and they should have known that.

-The setups were a massive problem. This was my first tournament and I brought a setup (mine was the one closest to the door, near the TO). Me, a freakin' new guy brought a Wii U. There really was little-excuse not to secure more setups. A discount would have been nice, and frankly I was sort of expecting it.

-The ruleset was (sort of) on Facebook the day before, slightly modified (Yoshi's Island was swapped with Duck Hunt last-minute). Miis and Customs were noted as being prohibited. The changes were totally-unacceptable. I agree that they should have used the actual NWM-site, over Facebook.

-The staff was obviously being overworked, and could have been more professional attitude/language-wise, but I read it as humor, more than anything. I will concede and say there is a ton of work to be done before the next majors. Professionalism needs worked on, more than anything.

-The mass of people swarming the TO and the lack of setups really made everything go wrong. It was just a mess.

-I'm assuming you're talking about Dawson's ("Big-D") seeding. He registered at-the-door, so he was seeded low. I don't know how that could have been helped. It's a fairly-new-game, so there isn't much to reference, in terms of how to seed.

All in all, it was FAR from a perfect-tournament, but I had a blast.

I really want to go to Oregon and see what kind of tourney you'd run. If NWM was this fun, I can't even imagine how much fun I'd have at a well-run tournament!

T0MMY

Smash Master
Glad to hear you had a good time, and things usually run a lot better so chances are you'll enjoy future events.

Actually, no, I didn't know about that issue with Dawson. Mostly was just touching on general things I heard about seeding while there.
Like I said, the brackets for a new game like that should not be heavily seeded (e.g. barely seeded at all). It would have taken just mere seconds to hit random and place m2k, Dawson, and Seibrik apart. This isn't so much a solution, just proper TO protocol.

Since the release of Smash 4 I haven't been hosting much outside of my job, but I definitely help out where I can. Whichever events I help organize and think would be worth the travel I'll definitely try to keep you and all others updated.
While at this tourney there was already talk of some attendees putting their own event together in the Seattle area probably in the spring, so look forward to something around then.
Until then check out the Gameclucks Chris hosts every month and I'll probably see you there.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
Until then check out the Gameclucks Chris hosts every month and I'll probably see you there.
If I could get a ride to Lynwood from Orting, I'd go to Gameclucks in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's just too far for me to go by myself right now.

I know I'm definitely going to the next PNW, though. See you there?

(Is there any chance for next Gameclucks-monthly, you or some other Oregonian/southern-Smashers could give me a ride? I'd try to help w/ gas.)

Last edited:

T0MMY

Smash Master
There's a chance you could get in on a Portland, Corvallis, or Eugene carpool if they head up there. I'm not one who coordinates rides so I can't guarantee you anything myself, but I'd say it'd be a good idea to post in some Oregon groups when you are looking for a ride. The Oregon Social thread is a good place to start and there are a couple on Facebook as well (don't have the link handy atm).

Beardbot

Smash Cadet
NNID
BeardbotOreo
3DS FC
3351-4066-5194
If I could get a ride to Lynwood from Orting, I'd go to Gameclucks in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, it's just too far for me to go by myself right now.

I know I'm definitely going to the next PNW, though. See you there?

(Is there any chance for next Gameclucks-monthly, you or some other Oregonian/southern-Smashers could give me a ride? I'd try to help w/ gas.)
since I am about halfway between Lynwood and orting I could give you a lift. I haven't been to any local events beyond pnwr, however I am looking for more events and it would be nice to go with someone I know.

Sideslick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sideslick
since I am about halfway between Lynwood and orting I could give you a lift. I haven't been to any local events beyond pnwr, however I am looking for more events and it would be nice to go with someone I know.
So where would we meet-up?

I'm thinking maybe Kent/Renton-ish? I don't drive at all yet (I'm working on it!), so even THAT is pushing it. I'd definitely help with gas.

I'll keep looking for any Oregon-Smashers willing to lend a hand, but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely take your offer up.

Awstintacious

Smash Apprentice
All I know about is my money-match with M2K. I'd like to see that M2K Vs. Dawson-match I keep hearing about.
Okay, fine. Here's that train-wreck of a money-match:
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF they are not being saved! If not, I'll rip them to my computer. I don't want to lose those sheik matches or marth plays.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Oregon Smashers have been notorious for not driving. I don't drive to GC, I usually just rideshare with or without Smashers. If I am in a carpool that can swing your way I'll let you know.
I'd say to take this discussion to your respective WA social thread, but I don't think anyone has made one - lots of people come and go because there's nothing for them here. Someone can get on making one and I'll pop in there and start getting our two states networked better.

Top Bottom