• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 20, 2014] I Got 64 Problems But A Flaoc Ain't 8: Cold Hand Johns (Toronto, ON)

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071

With special thanks to Preston
#8: Cold Hand Johns
As if this community needed more things to john about

What have we here? After the utterly devastating display that was the upset city of Flaoc 7, how can we possibly wait another entire month for everyone to enact their revenge on... well, everyone else? Welcome to late-mid December, where your exams are over, school's out for the holidays, and you can't wait to spend your first taste of freedom by neglecting your loved ones in favour of mashing buttons! Tredge your way through the 15 foot snowbanks, sub-40 wind chill, and skating rinks more aptly known as "Toronto's road network" to spam Kirby's utilt or whatever.

(Previous chapter: http://smashboards.com/threads/flaoc-7-results.380539/)
DETAILS

Date:
Saturday December 20, 2014
Cost: $5 venue fee, $5 for singles, $5 per person ($10 per team) for doubles
  • Explanation: The Venue Fee is the price we collectively pay to rent A&C's space, you give this money to the A&C employees when you walk in. The singles/doubles fee is what goes into the pot for the tournament winners, you give this money to me when I open registration.
Schedule:
Venue opens: 12:00 pm
Registration opens: 1:00 pm
Doubles registration closes: 2:00 pm
Doubles starts: 2:15 pm
Singles registration closes: 3:00 pm
Singles starts: 3:30 pm
Venue closes: 9:00 pm

You can play friendlies at any time that TVs are not being used for tournament matches.

Facebook link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1380952185530526/

WHAT SHOULD I BRING?

• A controller. All players are advised to bring their own controllers. Sometimes there are spares, but there is no guarantee that there will be enough. A & C Games will also lend you a controller for $2.
    • Note: You can bring any controller you like. I provide special adapters that will let you use any controller on a Nintendo 64 console, so long as your controller is USB compatible. That means if you have a USB adapter that lets you use your controller on PC, bring it. (I have some for GCC and Classic Controller as well.)
  • A cartridge. It's fine if you don't have one to bring. But we always need extra cartridges to make sure we have enough setups. Don't bring N64 consoles or TVs, the venue provides enough of those for us.
    • If you provide a cartridge, please make sure it has your name on it somewhere. A & C Games can provide masking tape if you need it. I will not accept unlabeled cartridges.
  • Cash. I do not accept entry into singles or doubles with anything other than physical cash. No debit or credit. Make sure you have enough on you beforehand!
  • Your friends. The more people that show up, the more matches everyone gets to play!

WHAT ARE THE RULES? (BRACKET FORMAT, GAMEPLAY, CONDUCT)

• All sets are best-of-3 games. Finals (Top 3) are best-of-5.
  • If 24 or more people attend, we will run qualifier pools, pro bracket, amateur bracket, and tiebreaker pools. This means you will be playing AT LEAST four sets before you're out. If you're not sure if you have any matches left, feel free to ask me.
  • If less than 24 people attend, we will run one double elimination bracket with tiebreaker pools. This means you will be playing AT LEAST two sets before you're out. If you're not sure if you have any matches left, feel free to ask me.

• 5 Stocks, no items, all characters legal, 1v1.
  • All tournament sets start on Dream Land. (However, if both players agree to it, another stage may be used. This includes stages only accessible via Gameshark.)
  • The loser of the previous game chooses the stage for the next game. The stage may be Dream Land, Peach's Castle, Kongo Jungle, or Hyrule Castle. (However, if both players agree to it, another stage may be used. This includes stages only accessible via Gameshark.) There are no stage bans. DSR and DMSR are NOT in effect.
  • USB adapter users may not team together in doubles, due to lack of equipment.

• Players may request a "button check" before beginning their set. (Start up on any stage to test out your buttons and make sure your controller is working properly, then exit the game, and start your set for real)
  • If one player believes their opponent is purposely counterpicking their character on the select screen before the start of the first game, a Double Blind Pick may be requested. (Both players tell me their preferred character in private, and I will select for them.)
  • If a player pauses mid-match, the opponent has the right to force the pauser to forfeit a stock if desired.
  • If a player uses Dark DK, Dark Samus, or Dark Captain Falcon on Kongo Jungle, the opponent may request the player to change colour. The request must be honoured if made before any damage is dealt by either player.

• Please ask me first before leaving the venue for food, smoke breaks, etc if you have any matches coming up. If I don't know where you are when your match comes up, you run the risk of being disqualified.
  • If you are going to be late, text me at 416-520-0548 BEFORE registration for your events closes.
  • Please try not to disrupt tournament matches. If you need to ask me something, please wait until I have a break between games in my set.
  • No alcohol in the venue, keep it in your bag.
  • Please clean up after yourselves and throw your garbage out.

WILL THIS BE STREAMED? WHO CAN COMMENTATE?

The tournament will be streamed at http://www.twitch.tv/pidgezero_one

Anyone can commentate. It does not matter how experienced you are as a commentator or as a player. If you have an interest in commentating, feel free to try it out. I can pair you with an experienced commentator to help you learn the ropes.

If you are leaving the commentary station, please find someone to replace you. I do not want gaps where we have no commentators.

Swearing is permitted on commentary, but please try not to be too excessive.

I'M HUNGRY! WHERE CAN I EAT?

There is a Burger King and a Popeye's and a Mr. Sub across the street for starters. You can find all kinds of food around here since it's in the middle of downtown Toronto.

WHERE CAN I FIND MORE EVENTS LIKE THIS?

Bookmark http://ontario-smash.com to keep up with a province-wide Smash tournament schedule for 64, Melee, Brawl, Project M, and Smash 4. Join the Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/OntarioSmash64/

Last edited:
Top Bottom