• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dealing with swords

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
i'm having trouble with hitting opponents with swords, i just can't get close. how do you do it?

Last edited:

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
Spam with the electricity slinky.
that works unless the opponent power shields, the move stales too. :4link:'s sword is the one i am having most trouble with; specifically his jab. you cant spam thunder jolt because of hylian shield.

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
None of the sword characters have even remotely safe landing options. Get under them shield and punish landing options.

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
None of the sword characters have even remotely safe landing options. Get under them shield and punish landing options.
How am I supposed to get under them if I can't get them into the air in the first place?

hell-dew

Smash Apprentice
use your shield use OOS options? out range them with Fsmash use jolts to approach i suck horrible against them on wifi but off line no problem

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
F-Smash actually reaches really far, enough that most swords won't be able to outrange it (I believe Shulk's can, maybe?), also good approaching is pretty much key. Like what was said no sword user has safe landing options, so just use some mixups, get them in close, and then take it to the air. Pika's air game is fierce and most sword-users won't be able to handle it.

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
F-Smash actually reaches really far, enough that most swords won't be able to outrange it (I believe Shulk's can, maybe?), also good approaching is pretty much key. Like what was said no sword user has safe landing options, so just use some mixups, get them in close, and then take it to the air. Pika's air game is fierce and most sword-users won't be able to handle it.
are there options other than fsmash? really dont want to be predictable because i fight someone who uses :4link:alot

phili

Smash Apprentice
NNID
phili11
Against link, QA is your best friend. Use it to break through that wall of projectiles and when you're in there, grab or utilt to start a massive combo. Link is heavy so he is free combo food.

If the sword gives you issues when you get in close, try run up shield, as his jab isn't safe on shield. You can then punish OOS with nair, dair, dsmash, usmash, or grab. Also, it is good to note that SH dair jumps over links jab, and hits him in the face. Combine these options with QA, and approaching link should be no problem.

Another thing to note about sword users in general is that most have bad recoveries. Marth, lucina, link, robin all have very predictable recoveries that can be edgeguarded easily with nair, bair, fair, and sometimes even t-jolt. Get them offstage and end stocks early.

Hope some of this was useful

Gibbs

Smash Apprentice
You shouldn't worry about t-jolt staling, you should use it to force block or for confirms off of hit. Against a Link you should be able to dash grab even if he perfect shields your t-jolt.

You can set up landing traps off of QA2. If you can mix up quick attack enough then you should be able to zip around projectiles and get free hits pretty easily.

If you give their options proper respect, it is very hard for them to touch pika.

One thing that might be interesting to read is Emblem Lord's section on avoiding playing footsies in the Fox Marth matchup. I think a lot of this is applicable to pika v swordsmen.

Avoiding Footsies

Not everyone wants to play footsies all the time depending on the match or who you play. I would never advise Fox to play footsies with Marth. That is a losing battle. Fox simply does not have the tools. Fox is the second fastest walker in the game. Marth is the fastest. Marth has better horizontal aerial movement speed as well. Marth has a sword. Marth has better pokes and Marth's f-tilt when tippered can kill Fox at reasonable percents, around 115%. So, what is Fox supposed to do when Marth tries to engage in footsies?

Simple.

Fox should deny him. He has two options. The first is run away. This is very viable strategy. Fox runs faster and Fox illusion can get Fox out of tight spots and reset the fight to neutral. After gaining some space he can shoot lasers at Marth and build percent. This is a frustration tactic. Footsies takes a calm and reactive state of mind. If you make Marth angry or fluster him, it will be that much harder for him to slow down the pace of the match and zone out Fox with his blade.

The second option is to RUSH THAT **** DOWN! Get at Marth hard and fast. Use Foxes speed to overwhelm Marth's defense, put him in a bad position and build up his damage. Keep him off balance with different attacks and feints. This is much riskier than the first option, but a strong offense can shake up even a battle hardened opponent, if its tight enough.

Knowing when to play footsies and when not too is just as important as actually being good at footsies itself.

I agree with a lot of phili's above post. But here is my take on sword users.

Sword characters typically have the advantage of longer reach. However, they typically have the disadvantage of slower startup times, lower mobility, and they usually lack a projectile. Most of the time, the sword user wants to be at close range but a sword length away so that they can safely attack you with a lower chance for retaliation. The key to easily besting the sword user is to not give them their ideal spacing. Pikachu is quick character and should be able to control his proximity to the opponent fairly well. Quick Attack is a great option that allows Pikachu a way in. Push your own advantages of quicker but closer ranged attacks and projectile options. Edge guards are usually easier to get against clunkier sword wielders. Punish their predictable recoveries.

I will do Link first because he is the one you play against the most, and Link is my other main character.

Against Link: Link is a unique fighter that has both plenty of projectiles and a sword. To compensate, the game designers made his moveset have a lot of startup. Tbh Link cannot beat a Pikachu in a match of reaction time, because his moves are slower than most of Pikachu's. When I play Link, I often rely on prediction and positioning to give me time to start my attacks. I usually compensate long start up time with multiple hitboxes being out at once such as an airborne bomb and a sword swing. The key to beating Link involves getting in his face at very close range especially if you can land behind him. The Link really will not have any safe or fast options to get you out of his face. Try to punish any attempts by starting a combo chain especially with U-tilts and U-airs. Link has a hard time breaking combos due to his weight, bigger frame, and lack of a efficient combo breaker.

Here are some other sword wielding character matchups.

Against Toon Link: Much of the same strategy applies but Toon Link has less spacing available but faster start ups with his smaller blade. He is harder to combo. Toon Link also has a formidable kill throw to be aware of. I still advise being the aggressor. Links and Toon Links like to not give the opponent any breathing room. I say return the favor. ;)

Against Lucina, Marth, and Roy: I say play defensively here. They are forced to approach because of T-Jolt. Try your best to punish their mistakes and do not let them stay at a sword length away. Keep super tight together or opt to keep your distance. If you think you can manage to it, try to stay in their particular sour spot. Marth needs his tipper so stay real close. Roy likes his center blade so I try to hit him with edge of my hitboxes like a Marth would. This allows me to attack more safely while trying to deny him his ideal spacing.
*Additional tidbit about Marth and Lucina: Absolutely do not let them land their Neu-B on Pikachu's shield. Their shield breaker is very effective here due to its reach and Pikachu's small shield. If they try land it uncharged, spot dodge. If they really try to actually charge the move for some reason, OOS jump behind them and punish. Seriously though, respect that shield breaker. Little light Pikachu with a broken shield is a dead Pikachu... :crying:

Against Ike: Honestly Ike is a super easy fight imo. Projectile him, punish his approach, repeat. Imo Ike does not pose much of a threat unless he gets off a solid blow that leads to an early KO. His recovery is terrible too and is easy to gimp.

Against Robin: I treat the Robin match up similar to the Link one. Keep in mind Robin's projectiles are clunkier than Link's so you win the camp war. Although beware the Levin sword. That thing is a monster to Pikachu especially Robin's aerials. Seriously, a well spaced Levin sword attack will end your stock. Try to pay attention to how many more uses of the Levin Robin has. Switching between defense and aggressor quickly will help a lot here.

Against Meta Knight: I will be honest. I hate this match up. The two go toe to toe. Neither can edgeguard the other effectively or easily punish the other. Imo get him to approach by stacking some damage with T-Jolts and just do your best. I do not have much experience in this match up.

Against Shulk: This fight can also be a challenge due to his extreme range. Additionally his sweetspot is the red Monado blade which means being super close has problems too. Try to range him to for him to approach. Then, I say go all in and get on top of him. That way at least your hitboxes can hit him too. Try to combo him and punish his Monado changes if you can.

Against Mii Sword Fighter: Honestly this fight is a lot like Ike imo. Punish his bad options. Go for the gimp.

Against The Pits: These two are a different fight. They have a projectile and a reflector. I suggest a mix up playstyle here. Switch between a few T-Jolts here and there and then go for the aggressor role. Try to never let them think. Try not to let them space you with their blades.

tldr; Do not give the swordsmen their ideal sword length spacing. You can combo most of them easily enough given the chance. You can usually camp a sword wielder most of the time if you want to. Learn and respect your opponents options, but go for the punishes on their slower moves and edge guard them. Even without taking a stock, you should be able to at least get some free damage from the edge guard situation.

I hope my advice helps you in your battles. :)

Last edited:

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
Against sword users you are going to wanna hit and run... far
Like stated before they will want to have that perfect spacing to get most of their damage, keep shooting those t jolts to get in. Even if they are shielding them all, it will give you a chance to approach. Most sword users are going to be jumping to space or maneuver around your t jolts, so that is one your opportunities to go in. They don't exactly have the best frame data, so just go in and smother them with a ton of pressure, but be wary of over extending, as they will punish you for not spacing correctly with their own attack or maybe a counter.

Ninj4pikachu

Smash Journeyman
I agree with a lot of phili's above post. But here is my take on sword users.

Sword characters typically have the advantage of longer reach. However, they typically have the disadvantage of slower startup times, lower mobility, and they usually lack a projectile. Most of the time, the sword user wants to be at close range but a sword length away so that they can safely attack you with a lower chance for retaliation. The key to easily besting the sword user is to not give them their ideal spacing. Pikachu is quick character and should be able to control his proximity to the opponent fairly well. Quick Attack is a great option that allows Pikachu a way in. Push your own advantages of quicker but closer ranged attacks and projectile options. Edge guards are usually easier to get against clunkier sword wielders. Punish their predictable recoveries.

I will do Link first because he is the one you play against the most, and Link is my other main character.

Against Link: Link is a unique fighter that has both plenty of projectiles and a sword. To compensate, the game designers made his moveset have a lot of startup. Tbh Link cannot beat a Pikachu in a match of reaction time, because his moves are slower than most of Pikachu's. When I play Link, I often rely on prediction and positioning to give me time to start my attacks. I usually compensate long start up time with multiple hitboxes being out at once such as an airborne bomb and a sword swing. The key to beating Link involves getting in his face at very close range especially if you can land behind him. The Link really will not have any safe or fast options to get you out of his face. Try to punish any attempts by starting a combo chain especially with U-tilts and U-airs. Link has a hard time breaking combos due to his weight, bigger frame, and lack of a efficient combo breaker.

Here are some other sword wield character matchups.

Against Toon Link: Much of the same strategy applies but Toon Link is less spacing available but faster start ups with his smaller blade. He is harder to combo. Toon Link also has a formidable kill throw to be aware of. I still advise being the aggressor. Links and Toon Links like to not give the opponent any breathing room. I say return the favor. ;)

Against Lucina, Marth, and Roy: I say play defensively here. They are forced to approach because of T-Jolt. Try your best to punish their mistakes and do not let them stay at a sword length away. Keep super tight together or opt to keep your distance. If you think you can manage to it, try to stay in their particular sour spot. Marth needs his tipper so stay real close. Roy likes his center blade so I try to hit him with edge of my hitboxes like a Marth would. This allows me to attack more safely while trying to deny him his ideal spacing.

Against Ike: Honestly Ike is a super easy fight imo. Projectile him, punish his approach, repeat. Imo Ike does not pose much of a threat unless he gets off a solid blow that leads to an early KO. His recovery is terrible too and is easy to gimp.

Against Robin: I treat the Robin match up similar to the Link one. Keep in mind Robin's projectiles are clunkier than Link's so you win the camp war. Although beware the Levin sword. That thing is a monster to Pikachu especially Robin's aerials. Seriously, a well spaced Levin sword attack will end your stock. Try to pay attention to how many more uses of the Levin Robin has. Switching between defense and aggressor quickly will help a lot here.

Against Meta Knight: I will be honest. I hate this match up. The two go toe to toe. Neither can edgeguard the other effectively or easily punish the other. Imo get him to approach by stacking some damage with T-Jolts and just do your best. I do not have much experience in this match up.

Against Shulk: This fight can also be a challenge due to his extreme range. Additionally his sweetspot is the red Monado blade which means being super close has problems too. Try to range him to for him to approach. Then, I say go all in and get on top of him. That way at least your hitboxes can hit him too. Try to combo him and punish his Monado changes if you can.

Against Mii Sword Fighter: Honestly this fight is a lot like Ike imo. Punish his bad options. Go for the gimp.

Against The Pits: These two are a different fight. They have a projectile and a reflector. I suggest a mix up playstyle here. Switch between a few T-Jolts here and there and then go for the aggressor role. Try to never let them think. Try not to let them space you is their blades.

tldr; Do not give the swordsmen their ideal sword length spacing. You can combo most of them easily enough given the chance. You can usually camp a sword wielder most of the time if you want to. Learn and respect your opponents options, but go for the punishes on their slower moves and edge guard them. Even without taking a stock, you should be able to at least get some free damage from the edge guard situation.

I hope my advice helps you in your battles. :)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
All you need to know about sword fighters as pikachu.

Top Bottom