1. Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 140,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 14 million posted discussions!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

2. The official Nintendo White Controller is on sale for under $40 right now! Get it before the price increases!

3. Looking for the perfect gift for that Smasher in your life? Maybe even yourself? Use the Smashboards Store to get any awesome Smash accessories, like a Nintendo White Controller! Please check out the inventory in our store and support Smashboards with your purchase today!

DACUS and YOU! ; A general guide on DACUS timings, applications, and other information

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ItsRainingGravy, Dec 25, 2013.

1. ItsRainingGravy

ItsRainingGravy Smash Journeyman

Scroll down this post if you wish to see character specific DACUS information.
    Wiki page for DACUS: http://www.ssbwiki.com/Dash_attack_canceled_up_smash

Hello everyone! Welcome to the general DACUS information thread! This thread will discuss all things about DACUS for every character that is able to perform it; from how to do a DACUS, how to more efficiently time a DACUS with a specific character (since it varies slightly), DACUS statistics and "average success rates", and anything else worth mentioning. Let's get started!

Also as of right now, this post will only cover DACUS techniques that can be performed using the GAMECUBE controller. In the future, information regarding other controllers will be covered. Apologies in advanced.

To start off, what exactly is a DACUS? It is an abbreviation that stands for "Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash", and is sometimes referred to as a "Boost Smash". And that's what it essentially is. It is a technique that uses the momentum of a dash attack and gives it to a character's Up Smash, by using their Up Smash to cancel the Dash Attack animation. The next big question: How is it performed? Well, look no further! These helpful video guides below (not made by me) will get you started!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y_CHWI4IXSw#t=118
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v5cy6uqC0Os#t=18
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHDx3BYf7M
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlGIl27bJQM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI0_LanROgk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5a-3KyoX4U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Q2gfVEf0k

Now then, what we have learned from these videos is the command for a DACUS is:

1) Dash left or right. (Dash)
    2) Press down on the C-Stick. C-Left and C-Right can also be used, though C-Down is the preferred input. (C-Down. The C-Stick needs to return to a neutral position for a successful DACUS.)
    3) Rotate the control stick up. (R-Up)
    4) Press the grab button. (Z)

*take note that all of this MUST be done in quick succession, otherwise the DACUS will fail*

Seems simple enough, right? Well, what if I said that there was an even more effective way to DACUS than what was mentioned? And, remember how I said that different characters have different timings? This is where we get into the meat and potatoes of this topic! So while DACUS is commonly known for the input shown above, this is even more effective:

1) Dash
    2) C-Down
    3) R-Up
    4) Mash the attack button. If this is too hard to do, change one of your shoulder buttons to be attack instead of shield. (Attack or "AR")

In general, most characters will have the easiest time performing their DACUS using the above command. Why change the Grab input to an Attack input, you ask? Well, changing Grab to Attack actually grants you one more frame in order to perform a DACUS, and for certain characters it is the only way to perform their DACUS at all. But even with this improved command in place, some characters still might have difficulty performing their DACUS. So, without further ado, let's take a look at character-specific DACUS smashes!

If a character hasn't been mentioned, then their DACUS doesn't travel a very noticeable distance further than their regular dashing up smash. This includes Sheik, who lost her DACUS from Brawl.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. ItsRainingGravy

Reserved post.
  3. Canon

Canon witty/pretty

• Premium
    Nintendo Network ID:
    ????
    you mention it only vaguely, but for quick note: any 1-frame DACUS is impossible with a grab button, b/c the grab button will always require one extra frame to work with. this is why you can't DACUS with GnW, IIRC (though, this might also have relation to the fact that a DACUS can be cancelled into a dash grab in some fancy way, a more knowledgeable GnW player could explain a thousand times better than I could)
    ItsRainingGravy likes this.
  4. guedes the brawler

guedes the brawler Smash Journeyman

thanks! I was actually having trouble with pulling those techs off.
  5. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Wario time!

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

You missed Peach's DACUS.
  6. YarsRevengerson

YarsRevengerson #YungBoyLuca$

• Premium
    3DS Friend Code:
    0216-0896-9242
    No you've got it pretty well. If you plan on DACUSing with GnW you DO have to Claw to A or set another button as Attack (I use triggers because it makes DACUS easier/more fluid for me anyway) And yeah, GnW can cancel his Dash Attack into a Grab.

DACGrab
  7. MattNF

MattNF Smash Lord

Thanks for this guide, I was able to DACUS in brawl but I had some problems with it in PM. Hopefully I can master it now!
  8. ItsRainingGravy

Woah, she has a DACUS now? I completely missed that one! I'll have to add that later after I get back home from holiday dinners. Thanks, Strong Bad!

Also as a note for Shiek players (and possibly Sonic players): Shiek can no longer DACUS in Project M, since she was almost completely restored to her Melee status (aside from her downthrow and a few other things).
  9. standardtoaster

standardtoaster Don't Lose Your Way

• Premium
    • Project M Back Room
    4 frame jumpers have a 1 frame window to dacus with Attack. If you use Grab you will do a boost grab.
    5 frame jumpers have a 2 frame window to dacus with Attack and a 1 frame window to dacus with Grab
    6 frame jumpers have a 3 frame window to dacus with Attack and a 2 frame window to dacus with Grab.
    etc
    NeonApophis and ItsRainingGravy like this.
  10. ItsRainingGravy

Added Peach to the list of characters who can DACUS, as well as standardtoaster's notes. Thanks, toaster!

EDIT: I will add each character's jump frames once I know all of them. Roy, Marth, G&W and Wolf (?) all have 4 frame jumps though, which is why they need to use an Attack button instead of a Grab button for their respective DACUS smashes.
  11. guedes the brawler

it if's so useless, why did they even bother giving marth a Dacus?
  12. MonkUnit

MonkUnit Project M Back Roomer

• Project M Back Room
    Having a DACUS is just a result of a character's JumpStart amount. Marth's just happens to be a big enough JumpStart which allows him to DACUS.
  13. ItsRainingGravy

It's not that it is completely useless, but consistently pulling it off and knowing how to properly space it can be very tedious and frustrating...in an actual match, anyways. You only have a single frame to work with, which opens up a large room for error when pulling the move off. Marth's Up Smash does have flub hits around his sides, but they usually don't help him too much. Probably the best application for this DACUS is hitting someone who is on a platform, such as the Battlefield platforms, where it could potentially score a KO or at least free damage. Other than that though, Marth's DACUS should never really be used. Using Marth's standard tools is far more effective and precise.
  14. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Wario time!

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

People always call Marth's DACUS useless

Til they fight my Marth
    ItsRainingGravy and arcticfox8 like this.
  15. Ultimate Sneeze

Ultimate Sneeze Smash Cadet

ItsRainingGravy is my hero

Honestly though, I was just starting to learn about/practice DACUS and this thread shows up out of nowhere...

THANK YOU
  16. Zujx

Zujx Smash Apprentice

Thank you for contributing this wonderful guide, I wish a solid guide like this was around when I was learning it
  17. Lordling

Lordling Thane of Blue Flames

• Premium
    Hopefully, this will be useful to me as I prepare DACUS training today! I definitely didn't know that the C-Stick must return to neutral (or that it's specifically C-Down ...) so thanks!
  18. standardtoaster

standardtoaster Don't Lose Your Way

• Premium
    • Project M Back Room
    It doesn't have to be cstick down specifically. any direction other than up (causes a usmash obv) will work
  19. ItsRainingGravy

Didn't know this either. Thanks for the info!

When it comes to the timings for DACUS smashes, feel free to ask me questions, and I will offer you my perspective on what feels best to do for a certain character. Though the PMBR will most likely give far more concrete and precise answers than I would, but I'll help out when I can!

Additionally, anyone is free to comment about DACUS strategies in matchups in this thread, too. If it is DACUS related, it can be posted here!

Resting for the night since the holidays wore me out though, lol. Though I should be around on-off during most days after today.
  20. KayB

KayB BRoomer

• Back Roomer

Absolute awesome thread dude.
  21. Lordling

• Premium
    Ike's DACUS is actually plenty viable; it combos out of FThrow at mid-high percents and getting grabs with Ike is pretty easy.
  22. The_Altrox

The_Altrox Smash Lord

I could never get this right in Brawl. Hopefully I can do this here. I'm glad it got carried over.
  23. guedes the brawler

apparently it's harder here... good luck to us both.
  24. The_Altrox

The_Altrox Smash Lord

Of course they made it harder. idk, the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that that would be done just because of some messed up mindset that harder input equates to a better game.

Then again, I'm biased. I can wavedash, but I can't do it spontaneously in battle (except accidentally with Ganondorf of all people). I am not good at techs at all. I think I better go back to playing Divekick :O
  25. wiiztec

wiiztec Smash Apprentice

• Project M Back Room
    It doesn't have to return to neutral, I've done it holding c down the whole time
  26. MonkUnit

MonkUnit Project M Back Roomer

• Project M Back Room
    It's only harder due to lack of buffer.
  27. Jade_Rock55

Jade_Rock55 Smash Ace

I find it easier to dacus with a nunchuck than with a classic controller,I wish my gamecube controller worked though...

I just realized why Mewtwo's dacus wasn't working,since I can do Marth,Roy's,Snakes and Link's dacus I always wondered why I couldn't with him.

An easy way to dacus with wiimote+nunchuck is set d-pad down to down smash,so you would run>down samsh>then input up smash with the control stick and A.
  28. Lordling

• Premium
    I've found doing it with the classic controller is basically impossible for me. Any insights, or do I just need practice?
  29. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Wario time!

• Premium
    • Back Roomer

C-stick down is better because forward or back can cause an F-Smash during the first 3 frames of dash.
    ItsRainingGravy and Burnsy like this.
  30. otter

otter Smash Journeyman

Can anyone explain why this works from an engine point of view?
  31. guedes the brawler

and can someone explain to me from the same POV why the characters slide as much as they do?
  32. Rat

Rat Smash Lord

@Guedes the brawler

Afaik the distance depends on two things:
    1) The momentum applied during the start of the dash attack
    2) The characters ground friction

If you look at characters with large DACUS you'll notice that they suddenly move forward during the start of their dash attack. For Example look at Lucas' Dash Attack. The entire attack doesn't move very far BUT the initial frames lunge him forward very quickly. That's why his DACUS goes so far.

Since we are cancelling the first few frames of the Dash Attack, that initial lunge is being applied to the Up Smash.

Take a look at the Dash Attack of the characters with the biggest DACUS: Lucas, GW, Ganon, Wolf, Falco, Wario, Marth, and Ike. You'll notice that they all lunge or teleport forward during the very start of the Dash attack.
    Bazkip and Lordling like this.
  33. otter

otter Smash Journeyman

That makes sense, but how does inputting down smash, up and grab give you an upsmash?
  34. ItsRainingGravy

Dash + C-Down (Down Smash) = Dash Attack

Grab = Attack + Shield

Up + Grab = Up + Attack (overrides the shield button) = Up Smash

I hope this helps! I might be posting a bit more in this topic later tonight.
    otter likes this.
  35. Xinc

Xinc Smash Ace

So it's C-stick Down to Z+ControlStickUp for preferred. wow.
  36. ItsRainingGravy

Actually, it would be C-Stick Down to rotating the control stick up to pressing an Attack button. That methods works too though, but you would be losing a frame of input time, and sometimes mashing Up on the control stick + Attack/Grab at the same time will cause some errors sometimes. Mashing up EXTREMELY SLIGHTLY before Attack/Grab usually yields more success, from my testings.
  37. guedes the brawler

So, using this logic, guys, how do you think other characters would Dacus if they could do it?
  38. Jade_Rock55

Jade_Rock55 Smash Ace

Can you do something like dacus with your other smashes?
  39. ItsRainingGravy

Not to my knowledge. Just Up Smash. You can however do a Down Smash or Forward Smash during a full dash (Forward Smash you have to crouch cancel to use it), but you won't slide with them as opposed to using a DACUS...unless your character has really low traction to begin with (Luigi).
  40. SpiderMad

SpiderMad Smash Champion

You're missing the best video in your list, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Y_CHWI4IXSw#t=118 which features a controlller model and mine https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=v5cy6uqC0Os#t=18 with a hand cam

And squirtle you mention Up-b out of Withdraw (Aquajet?), I think that was changed to just be triggered by A

Also you mention "4) Mash the attack button. " is that better than just timing it?

Also what's the frame windows for performing Falco's and others gatling combo?