• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Palette Swaps Thread

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I remember there used to be a thread for sharing custom-made palette swaps, but it's been closed for a while now.
I haven't seen another topic like that recently, so I thought I'd post a thread with a similar idea!

Post your palette swaps (for actual Smash characters, or potential newcomers) here. If enough people are interested (and if I can find a few judges), I could even make a new contest.

I'm looking forward to what you will create!

For right now, I'll post one set of swaps I made for Tetra, from Wind Waker:

They are mostly based on her pirate crew. Starting from the top, going left to right: Tetra, Gonzo, Niko, Nudge, Zuko, Senza, Mako, and Zelda.

Last edited by a moderator:

udime123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3497-1825-3744
I'm terrible at recolors, so I don't have any visual representations, but I figured Isaac's pallete swaps would be his standard outfit, one based on Garet, Mia, and Ivan's colors, then Felix as an alt with Jenna, Sheba, and Piers colors. If there was a way I could squeeze in Matthew, I would, but I'd prefer Felix ove rMatthew as an alt and I deem him more likely, so that's my reasoning.

I made some (bad) palette swaps for Gengar some time ago, using MS paint (I don't have anything better).

1. Normal Gengar
2. R/S/E/FR/LG/D/P/Pt Gengar (different shade of purple)
3. Misdreavus
4. Original Sugimori art Gengar
5. Banette
6. Gastly/Red & Blue Gengar
7. Clefable
8. Reverse-colored Gengar (Red body, purple eyes)

White Gengar palette swaps are extras: the upper one is based on Shiny Mega Gengar, while below one isn't based on anything.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I've done this in the form of this smash card things

Wow these are all really nice!
I like how you animated them.

I made some (bad) palette swaps for Gengar some time ago, using MS paint (I don't have anything better).

1. Normal Gengar
3. Misdreavus
5. Banette
7. Clefable

White Gengar palette swaps are extras: the upper one is based on Shiny Mega Gengar, while below one isn't based on anything.
My favourite is the Misdreavus one.

Here are a few more sets. I made a lot more than the usual eight, so there are a lot of 'bonus' swaps!

Top row: Default, Fire Mario, Classic Mario, Wario, Ice Mario, Flying Mario, Mario Bros Boxart, 8-bit Mario
Bottom row: Light Blue Mario Golf Palette, Dark Blue Mario Golf Palette, Super Mario Bros 3 Fire Mario, Pinball Boxart, Wrecking Crew Boxart, American Mario Bros Boxart, GameBoy (black and white) Palette, 8-bit Fire Mario

Top row: Default, Ice Luigi, Classic Luigi, Waluigi, Fire Luigi, Flying Luigi, Mario Bros Boxart, 8-bit Luigi
Bottom row: Blue Scarescraper Costume, Orange Scarescraper Costume, Green Scarescraper Costume, Pink Scarescraper Costume, Green Mario Golf Palette, Blue Mario Golf Palette, Light Green Mario Golf Palette, Wrecking Crew Palette

Super Mario 3D World's stamps are super helpful!

Last edited:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Here are two more sets, again using 3D World stamps as a base:

Bowser

Top row: Default, Red Mario Golf Palette, Blue Mario Golf Palette, Green Mario Golf Palette, Meowser
Bottom row: Midbus, Bowletta, Dark Bowser, Dry Bowser, Super Mario Bros Art

Rosalina & Luma:

Top row: Default Roslina & Luma, Yellow Rosalina & Co-star Luma, Blue Rosalina & Pull Star Luma, Green Rosalina & Trial Luma, Fire Rosalina & Red Luma
Bottom row: Cat Suit Palette Rosalina & Turquoise (Shopkeeper) Luma, Peach Palette Rosalina & Pink (Hungry) Luma, Lubba Palette & Purple Luma, Young Rosalina & Baby Luma, Cosmic Spirit & Polari

rockerpikmin

Smash Apprentice

1. Normal Gengar
3. Misdreavus
5. Banette
7. Clefable

Those are awesome.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Toon Link time!

Top row: Default, Red Link (Four Swords), Blue Link (Four Swords), Purple Link (Four Swords), Classic Link, Shadow Link (Four Swords Adventures)
Bottom Row: Green Link (Triforce Heroes), Red Link (Triforce Heroes), Blue Link (Triforce Heroes), Outset Island Outfit, a Link to the Past Palette, Shadow Link (Four Swords Adventures manga)

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to sound like a complete noob, but can someone tell me how to do this? I've been trying to learn it but I can't find any good articles or threads on here (or anywhere) that shows me how to do it on photoshop.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm going to sound like a complete noob, but can someone tell me how to do this? I've been trying to learn it but I can't find any good articles or threads on here (or anywhere) that shows me how to do it on photoshop.
Most programs have some sort of 'replace colour' function that lets you select all parts of a similar colour, and then alter the hue. If you do that on an official Smash render, you can change each individual colour into another hue of your choosing.

Or, you could do it like I did - find a nice line-art of the character, remove the colours from the middle (if applicable), and add your own colours using the paint bucket tool. Miiverse stamps are very nice for that method - the only problem is it won't look like the official Smash palette swaps (for that you'd want to opt for the first method I described).

SuperSmashSean

Smash Journeyman
Most programs have some sort of 'replace colour' function that lets you select all parts of a similar colour, and then alter the hue. If you do that on an official Smash render, you can change each individual colour into another hue of your choosing.

Or, you could do it like I did - find a nice line-art of the character, remove the colours from the middle (if applicable), and add your own colours using the paint bucket tool. Miiverse stamps are very nice for that method - the only problem is it won't look like the official Smash palette swaps (for that you'd want to opt for the first method I described).
Thanks for responding! I'm testing it out a little and (if I make good ones) will post them here.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Thanks for responding! I'm testing it out a little and (if I make good ones) will post them here.
Feel free to post them even of they turn out less than satisfactory - as others can provide tips that could help you improve!

Troykv

Smash Master
I have a little collection with Micaiah 's Palletes, but I have them in different files. I need put all of them in a same picture or no?

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I have a little collection with Micaiah 's Palletes, but I have them in different files. I need put all of them in a same picture or no?
I wouldn't say that you absolutely have to. Do whatever is most convenient to you - just use a spoiler tag if you are going be posting lots of images, just to save space in the thread.

Troykv

Smash Master
Okay, let's go!

1.- Laura pallete (this a other that I will put later was a friend's suggestion)
2.- Ilyana palette
3.- Sanaki palette (also resembles Edward because the similar colors)
4.- Elincia palette (a friend's suggestion)
5.- Pelleas palette
6.- Sothe palette
7.- Heron palette (a friend's suggestion too).

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
Okay, let's go!

1.- Laura pallete (this a other that I will put later was a friend's suggestion)
2.- Ilyana palette
3.- Sanaki palette (also resembles Edward because the similar colors)
4.- Elincia palette (a friend's suggestion)
5.- Pelleas palette
6.- Sothe palette
7.- Heron palette (a friend's suggestion too).
Even though I know nothing about the character, these are beautifully done!

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
I'm curious how you made those so well, Troykv Troykv ...
Whenever I try using more detailed character art as a base, I can never alter the colours so smoothly and crisply.

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I'm curious how you made those so well, Troykv Troykv ...
Whenever I try using more detailed character art as a base, I can never alter the colours so smoothly and crisply.
This was a collaboration with the friend that I had mentioned before. I give the main ideas about the customes, he was the one that actually makes the pictures.

Top Bottom