• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU won EVO!

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Congratulations to CPU for winning EVO. He beat Ken twice, once to send him to the losers bracket and then in the grand finals.

Newuser12345215

Smash Journeyman
I read the title and thought that an actual CPU had won the tournament.

Can't wait for the vids.
You know, that'd be funny.

If someone allowed level 9 computer to enter the tournament, somehow makes it all the way to the top, and wins the tournament. Lawl.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is about as important as me winning the largest smash tournament ever.

Which was the Wifi Wars / Smashboards online tournament.

Crystanium

Smash Hero

Can't wait for the vids.
I thought the exact same thing.

*recalls that guy screaming at the top of his lungs over the fact that Ken's Marth used Critical Hit*

That guy seriously needed to calm down or get on his meds.

ShinoBee

Smash Apprentice
Evo vids = DVDs.

And congrats to CPU. ^^ Unless they change the rules back to no items and b& stages next year, I'll be practicing with the Evo ruleset.

~Peachy~

Creator of delicious desserts

Can't wait for the vids.
I actually thought the same thing, so you're not the only one.;)

Just curious, was this all items on? Or just the "Fair item-standard play" ones?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Well if there are any videos, let's see if items were used. I mean I know they have items on, but did CPU use items?

TeeVee

Smash Lord
Well if there are any videos, let's see if items were used. I mean I know they have items on, but did CPU use items?
The vids were up today but youtube has taken them down, idk why. CPU did use item, alot. You can tell he was use to them.

Sudai

Stuff here
They were taken down because EVO releases all their videos in DVD format. I'm assuming they have some kind of copyright on the matches that they brought up to YouTube to make them take the vids down.

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
We'll post some videos in the coming days. I saw a lot of Brawl over the weekend. You could tell who was used to items and who was not. I saw one Marth shoot himself off the screen because he didn't know he could stop his Final Smash and many people didn't even try to avoid Peach's Final Smash sleep effect.

Overall I'd say the good players beat the mediocre ones (items or not), but if they two players were of similar skill level, the one who made the best strategic use of items won the game. This was particularly true of deciding if/when/how to go after the Smash Ball. People almost always forgot that going after the Smash Ball first meant that your opponent was going to go after YOU, knock you away, and get the 2nd and 3rd hits on the ball to break it. I also saw one Snake (I believe) accidentally knock the Smash Ball over to his opponent who was all the way off the screen trying to come back into play. Needless to say, these mistakes were severely punished.

In hours and hours and hours of Brawl, I only saw one stock lost from completely luck. While Sheik was comboing her opponent, the Smash Ball spawned, dropped right between them during a multi-hit move and she comboed into the mega-big-knock-out-arrow. Ouch.

null55

Smash Master
Ponder said:
Overall I'd say the good players beat the mediocre ones (items or not), but if they two players were of similar skill level, the one who made the best strategic use of items won the game.

I doubt this CPU guy is as good as Ken... :ohwell:

Ponder

EVO Co-Founder
I doubt this CPU guy is as good as Ken... :ohwell:
I honestly can't say, as I'm not an expert Brawl player.

One big difference was that CPU played a better meta-game. He picked a stage that worked toward his character's advantages and IMO did a better job of controlling the stage. He also had some clutch execution, including sniping a Smash Ball from fullscreen with a laser and dodging Marth's Final Smash twice, I believe. The kid's no slouch. I'll let you be the judge when we release some videos (hopefully in a few days).

null55

Smash Master
No, I mean without smash balls and all that BS. You said that with evenly matched players, the match goes to the best item user. I'm saying that the best item user will win even if there is a decently large difference in skill.

Top Bottom