• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Core-A Gaming: Should We Stop Playing Side-by-Side?

Is side by side or sitting across best?

• Side by Side

Votes: 218 76.2%
  • Sitting Across

Votes: 68 23.8%

• Total voters

For players that have entered a live event in the fighting game community within the United States, the idea of sitting directly next to the opponent is something so commonplace that it is not often thought about. But in Asia many tournaments have players fighting on separate setups across each other on a stage. But which of these is better? Core-A Gaming takes a look at both layouts in their latest video and explain how each can alter the meta-game at events.

Have thoughts after watching the video? Which format might be best? Sound off in the comments and vote below and don't forget to stay tuned to Smashboards for future discussion and videos.

Comments

Very interesting thing to think about, though it unfortunately doesn't apply to Smash in its current state. We have no way to play Smash legally in a tournament in a LAN setting, so side-by-side is the only way to play right now without a convoluted setup with 2 screens and a video splitter. If Smash 5 has LAN play, then this is a topic that we can come back to.

Logistically, Side by side makes way more sense. Sitting across on stage for the main highlight matches is a possibility, but essentially asking TO's to double up the number of setups needed at the tourney, just so people can avoid eachother? Not happening.

Plus with counterpicking we need to be able to interact with our opponents.

Last edited:
Logistically, Side by side makes way more sense. Sitting across on stage for the main highlight matches is a possibility, but essentially asking TO's to double up the number of setups needed at the tourney, just so people can avoid eachother? Not happening.

Plus with counterpicking we need to be able to interact with our opponents.
I hadn't even considered counterpicks and such, which also isn't possible to work into Smash right now in a LAN/Online setting without more red tape. Maybe in the future, but now this is a moot point. :-(

I've seen this done before. Specifically for Smash 4 doubles just to gain better concentration in the game, more fluent communication with your teammate, and just plain easier viewing of the TV screen. I'd say go for it.

Side by side is just easier to play. I understand traditional fighters where it's similar to playing split screen, but smash is much more dynamic. Not to mention that we already have a problem with lacking amounts of setups, and that using twice as many crts just makes the shortage worse.

We've also always been grassroots, and a large part of the community wants to keep that feel as we transition into e-sports. Side-by-side is a part of that grassroots feel.

I really don't know of anything that button presses and stick motions could tell you in smash, other than di, and I don't think anyone's gonna do something crazy like set up a button to not input anything.

That's my two cents anyway

For top 8, split the outputs and place the CRTs facing in opposite directions to prevent controller-peaking (H-Box). For all other matches, don't waste resources by splitting.

For top 8, split the outputs and place the CRTs facing in opposite directions to prevent controller-peaking (H-Box). For all other matches, don't waste resources by splitting.
It becomes an uneven format in that situation. If you were to make it that far by reading body language, and then you no longer could, you become disadvantaged.

D
I prefer having my own display as it helps with my hand-eye coordination. Sitting with someone I don't get the best view possible since I have to share space for them to see the screen, too.

I see no point sitting across. If it was like LoL or Starcraft, then it would make sense. Even with doubles, I see it not ideal to our current side by side method. All I see is a waste of more money on the TO.

Smash, particularly Melee, is in general a much faster paced game. The example was used of an opponent hearing a hadouken input and potentially being able to react faster as a result, but the same can't really apply to Melee's gameplay. In short, it would be hard to pick up on any inputs being made through sound, since smash doesn't rely on a traditional input system, and hearing ANYTHING helpful would be a miracle realistically, since generally all you can make out whilst playing a set is a GameCube controller getting furiously used due to its (cheaper) plastic body.

Not to mention, any inputs seen in time made by your opponent wouldn't really be of much help since moves often come out faster (fox's shine), and bc movement is such an essential part of the game, taking your eyes off the screen could be fatal in giving your opposition time to manipulate their spacing and potentially take control of the match.

Also, sitting apart would de-value the social aspects of competitive smash, which personally I find to be one of its main draws.

Last edited:
I honestly think that sitting apart would be more problematic for tournaments as well, since that would require basically twice the setups & TV's

Not to mention, the widely used gamecube controller doesnt have very loud inputs unlike fightpads, and Melee has tons of tech that requires alot of button pressing anyway, so honestly both plays are going to make noise on top of one anohter anyway and also they would actually have to look at the opponent's controller to see what input they're preparing for, ALSO in sm4sh, custom controls are a thing so determining your opponent's inputs just on noise would be a constant guess.

I dont see anything wrong with side-by-side seating, as it also embraces one of the smash community's strongpoints-interaction and disrespect. Like Biz patting Eikellman on the back so he wouldnt get too discouraged after Eikellman changed his tag off of Kage to avoid embarassment

Last edited:
Side by side is much more practical in Smash, while different screens is pretty cool for doubles since it encourages communication with your partner with less concern for your opponents listening in, it'd waste time when counterpicks come up and because of multiple tvs being used.

Streetfighter is understandable because the controller is huge so yes they should keep sepreated.But for Smash no because for Melee your doing quick imputs on the controller then you do in any other fighting games and smash4....who would focus on some ones hand "small Controller" instead of fighting

But if we play across from each other how would Hungrybox see the opponents di when he stands up?

lol joking aside I like the side by side way, just has much more tension between each player and makes things like communication much easier. I know an argument would be that they have headsets or having a translator, but what if they opponents don't speak the same language or one of them is deaf? When sitting side by side hand gestures are very helpful and would be much more faster to do instead of having a translator go from one side to another. Although playing across from each other looks a lot more professional (makes salty much more easier too) and the outside the match mind games wouldn't be so much a problem. Em both have pros and cons, but I think side by side will be the way that will be used.

Very interesting thing to think about, though it unfortunately doesn't apply to Smash in its current state. We have no way to play Smash legally in a tournament in a LAN setting, so side-by-side is the only way to play right now without a convoluted setup with 2 screens and a video splitter. If Smash 5 has LAN play, then this is a topic that we can come back to.
Or if they made a LAN update for Sm4sh... Before Bayonetta and Corrin come out, they still will be making additions, patches, and maybe even new modes. We'll just wait and see if anything major comes out before the final update release.

The most common input that most people can distinguish through sound alone in melee is when people mash b to shorten fox/falco's illusion. People often mash A instead to trick others into thinking they will shorten. Just throwing that out there for those saying that hearing other players won't help smash players.

Last edited:
Some scrub in my school is always jumping up and down while playing. I played a set with him once and he sat way to close to me and I could feel him shaking me with his leg or something. It didn't effect my gameplay but it was kind of funny.

D
The most common input that most people can distinguish through sound alone in melee is when people mash b to shorten fox/falco's illusion. People often mash A instead to trick others into thinking they will shorten. Just throwing that out there for those saying that hearing other players won't help smash players.
Yeah, man. Honestly, I play much better when I can hear the game more properly since I'm use to the sound effects.

I think sitting side by side should definitely continue. It allows communication and it's more fun when you can see reactions to events in the game.

Not to mention, sitting apart would make things more complicated for those who setup these events.

Honestly, I don't think this matters all that much for Smash. Our game is way too fast to be able to benefit from seeing the opponent's inputs.

I really don't know of anything that button presses and stick motions could tell you in smash, other than di, and I don't think anyone's gonna do something crazy like set up a button to not input anything.
If you grab your opponent, the presence or absence of mashing will tell you if they're trying to escape the grab or if they're trying to DI the predicted throw optimally. Or if you hear them mashing the control stick during a multihit move, it means they're trying to SDI out and you should end the move before they do.

These are just a few examples. I'm sure there are more.

Last edited:
It's currently impractical and hard to implement, BUT non-side-by-side is the future of fighting games. It is the only format that allows full 100% concentration on the game itself. I don't want to play "96% smash and 4% ignore the opponent", I want to play 100% Smash Bros. I would love to see non-side-by-side done for Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals at least.

If you grab your opponent, the presence or absence of mashing will tell you if they're trying to escape the grab or if they're trying to DI the predicted throw optimally. Or if you hear them mashing the control stick during a multihit move, it means they're trying to SDI out and you should end the move before they do.

These are just a few examples. I'm sure there are more.
Yeah, I knew there were a few, I was just trying to point out that there aren't as many as in sf

First: Smash is a party fighting game (so that means Smash isn't in the fighting community) Smash players just basically sneaked inside to try to fit in or hoping the FGC will accept them (no and still no Mike Ross and Gootecks tried to but no leave that be).

Second: Smash is 100% not a traditional fighting game (heck the controls are 100% different and easier to do anything compared to Smash).

Lastly: If a person that plays Smash will accept Smash is nowhere near the FGC then why won't the rest. Stop day dreaming and believing the FGC gives a dang they don't (at all). So stop already you're just embarrassing yourselves when you're that group where (they guys, I'm cool right?). No and your embarrassing yourselves period (the FGC doesn't care at all).

I'm gonna look at this in a more entertaining light... Fighting side by side creates more tension and is way too common in the Smash community to just take out all of a sudden. While some say it can be a distraction, I honestly feel Smash isn't the game where button mashing greatly hinders another persons ability to focus.

I'm gonna look at this in a more entertaining light... Fighting side by side creates more tension and is way too common in the Smash community to just take out all of a sudden. While some say it can be a distraction, I honestly feel Smash isn't the game where button mashing greatly hinders another persons ability to focus.
I think that depends, people with ADHD or ADD, or other mental conditions like Anxiety, can get distracted or anxious much more easily than someone with a normal brain, and might see big improvements in their tournament gameplay if they weren't forced into such a tense situation and were instead allowed to focus on the game itself.

I think that depends, people with ADHD or ADD, or other mental conditions like Anxiety, can get distracted or anxious much more easily than someone with a normal brain, and might see big improvements in their tournament gameplay if they weren't forced into such a tense situation and were instead allowed to focus on the game itself.
That's true I can't argue that, but i'm sure they could make accommodations if that's the case

When I am performing a kill throw (beep boop) on our last stock to win a game that matters on a 50/50 situation, I perform a sh in real life to bait a fast reaction and "read" the airdodge. Works every time, it's cheap and I am not proud of it :p

So that solves it imo.

First: Smash is a party fighting game (so that means Smash isn't in the fighting community) Smash players just basically sneaked inside to try to fit in or hoping the FGC will accept them (no and still no Mike Ross and Gootecks tried to but no leave that be).

Second: Smash is 100% not a traditional fighting game (heck the controls are 100% different and easier to do anything compared to Smash).

Lastly: If a person that plays Smash will accept Smash is nowhere near the FGC then why won't the rest. Stop day dreaming and believing the FGC gives a dang they don't (at all). So stop already you're just embarrassing yourselves when you're that group where (they guys, I'm cool right?). No and your embarrassing yourselves period (the FGC doesn't care at all).
You obviously care. Why else would you create an account here to troll? And the FGC obviously cares enough to make Melee one of the staple games at the most prestigious fighting game tournament, EVO.

And:
"Fighting game is a video game genre in which the player controls an on-screen character and engages in close combat with an opponent."

That's the definition of a fighting game. Smash fits that definition. You can say "No, it's a party fighting game" all you want, but it's a fighting game, just a different kind of one. James Chen, our Street Fighter homie, thinks the same way. Smash already is in the FGC, because the FGC isn't strictly for traditional fighting games. Everyone else in the FGC just hates Smash because it's way different from the other popular fighting games and you're just mad that it gets higher entries and it's stealing the spotlight from most of the other games. Smash is in the FGC and it is here to stay. Stay butthurt.

Last edited:
This guys don't know how important is to view the emotional state of your opponent in that moment... It helps you to define the entire match!

Top Bottom