• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPLETELY AUTOMATIC WAY TO FARM CUSTOMS

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
You will need a turbo enabled controller for this to work: http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2y3qu4/the_dark_lord_and_goddess_of_light_join_forces_to/

Optomized version:

• Obtain a Turbo controller. Available at gamestop between $12-15, and ebay for $8-$12. If you have no gcn adapter, mayflash turbo adapters (for wiimotes and classic controllers) are available for about $16 and Full Hori Gamepad controllers for around $25
Allegedly possible to make cheap DIY "Turbo" pressers via dollar store/cheap fan motors. Will look into soon

• Make a nametag with controls so A is set to Special. It's recommended to turn off Rumble as well. (Unless you want controller races on your floor)

• Go into Target Blast, Stage 2.

• Choose Palutena, and play until you hit a target with a wrench on it (you can reset until you see one)

• Return to the character select screen, and do not go any further back than that.

• Choose Ganondorf, and select the nametag you prepared that has A set to Special.

• Begin Target Blast and hold down A Turbo with a rubber band or tape or something.

• Set the controller down in a place where it will not be disturbed, and let the game automatically play through Target Blast for a few days.

• After you've unlocked around 340 different Custom Specials or more, it may be more preferable to attempt to unlock the rest of through other game modes, such as Crazy Orders, All Star, or character influenced Target Blast(perform this entire method again, but instead of using Palutena, use the character you want to unlock Custom Specials for, and then Ganondorf). You can, however, continue to use this method and it will eventually unlock every Custom Special for you.

• Optional: After unlocking all Custom Specials, it's recommended that you sell any and all Equipment you own. This is to prevent the creation of Custom Sets with Equipment in them during tournament time.
The data collected in this thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2xrkdc/automatic_custom_farming_day_4_updateprogress/ and myself in google docs(to be released after cleaning up + full unlock data on friends Wii U) suggests that between 0-150, you receive about 8-10 new customs per hour.

150-250: 7 new customs per hour

250-300: 5 new customs per hour.

And 300-360: 3 new customs per hour

It is around this point you should set the "active" character to those incomplete customs characters and farming from there. 1-2 Missing customs per char generally takes around 2.5 hours of char-specific grinding

There are 376 customs in total.

Lowballing the average at about 5 per hour for the entirety of grindings, this means 72 hours of palutena grinding can acquire up to 360 customs. 8 Are locked to challenges. Leaving only 9 customs left. If you had any relevant amount of customs beforehand, it's entirely feasible to get all the customs within 3 days using this method. If you had almost or absolutely no customs, you may need an extra day for character-specific farming.

Why this method is so much quicker: Palutena's customs are not obtainable in-game, as they come unlocked. To compensate, this means the game will give you completely random customs instead of any preference for her when set as your "active" character by playing target blast with her first.

If you had any other character set, the game would give preference to them and thus once that specific character's completion rate exceeds that of all the customs in-game, the likelihood of duplicates goes up too.

Furthermore, it's not feasible to always stop the game mining for that character once complete, leading to even more duplicates in the time between completion and manual reset. (Not to mention demanding much more effort on the part of the player to restart every few hours)

Mii Fighters also give no preference towards customs, however they make mii equipment more likely. This makes both customs AND equipment less likely.

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
This sounds like a total game changer. How does one get a turbo controller for cheap? One where you dont even have to hold the button down, you can just leave your system on and go study? Also do we know the limit on custom pieces you can get in a single gameplay session before it resets, like with stickers?

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
This sounds like a total game changer. How does one get a turbo controller for cheap? One where you dont even have to hold the button down, you can just leave your system on and go study? Also do we know the limit on custom pieces you can get in a single gameplay session before it resets, like with stickers?
Don't the cheap, plastic madcatz brand controllers they used to sell at GameStop have the turbo function? Those are not very hard to find.

O1DsLeNdYwHiTe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ARKANSAS-Gamer
huh? I thought holding the button triggered the infinite inputs, so you'd need to hold down the button? am I mistaken?
Do madcatz not posses the function to remain in lingering turbo? If not I apologize. I always passed them on the shelf at GameStop, and merely assumed they were built in with that function

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
Do you madcatz not posses the function to remain in lingering turbo? If not I apologize. I always passed them on the shelf at GameStop, and merely assumed they were built in with that function
Ive never owned such a controller, I didnt know lingering turbo was a thing. I apologize. I'll get myself a turbo from Gamestop over the weekend and test this method out and come back later with the results

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
You gotta tape or rubber band them down is all for the turbo to work indefinitely. And yea, gamestop controllers are confirmed to work fine.

You may also be able to get a used 1, get all your customs within the week grace period, then return it for a full refund. I did that with their used games =p

Last edited:

MrGame&Rock

Smash Ace
NNID
SpenstarHD
You gotta tape or rubber band them down is all for the turbo to work indefinitely. And yea, gamestop controllers are confirmed to work fine.

You may also be able to get a used 1, get all your customs within the week grace period, then return it for a full refund. I did that with their used games =p
awesome! The only thing left that Im wondering is, should you spent a little time going back to the game, exiting out, seeing what you got, and playing a normal match with a character you need customs for? Otherwise it might keep giving stuff for a character long after you need it

CarKeys

Smash Rookie
NNID
keith_the_key
This method is amazing. Did exactly as instructed and am currently gaining customs in no time. After struggling, for a short while, to find out how it get it running automatic I decided to change things up a bit. The custom name is set so that A,B, X, Y are all assigned to special moves, for safe measure. I then placed one of my denser controllers atop the cheaper gamestop turbo controller in such a way where any of the face buttons were being pressed. I'll update if I have any news, otherwise great and innovative method, certainly time saving.

Made a video, don't know if it helps. (Not sure how to get it to show on forums)

http://tinypic.com/r/25zq8b6/8

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
awesome! The only thing left that Im wondering is, should you spent a little time going back to the game, exiting out, seeing what you got, and playing a normal match with a character you need customs for? Otherwise it might keep giving stuff for a character long after you need it
I'd recommend it when you have the time, especially when near completion, but don't force yourself too much.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have tried doing Target Blast Stage 1 with Little Mac, to see if I could build my custom part arsenal, but it hasn't always given me new custom specials and/or headgear.

Dr Chowder

Smash Rookie
NNID
DrChowder
3DS FC
0920-0312-6504
Gamestop has used turbo controllers for cheap, just picked one up for $12 I think. This is a game changer.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Hey guys i think i found are golden bullet for this.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2rqzv2/mechanics_of_unlocking_custom_specials_wii_u/

Im try these out and see if they work

Makes sense too i do recall getting mario customs if im mario on a mario stage.

Its saying this for the most important one

In classic

On a mario stage your likely to find a custom move for a mario franchise (if you get it)

And odds increase of finding a move if your character your playing as and the stage match the icon
(aka one of your characters home stages) just make sure its the wrench you get on the wheel.

So classic mode + your character + play on that characters home stage(s) + wrench on wheel = more likely for moves more than equipment

Last edited:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Thank you Tatsunoko Vs Capcom Arcade Stick. I thought I would never use you again.

Mewtwo929

Smash Apprentice
A small village called......... Pallet Town!!!
NNID
Joestoes
How does a turbo controller differ from a normal controller (the gamepad, wii remote, etc.)? What is the point of using the turbo controller instead of a normal controller ( the gamepad, wii remote, etc.)?

Last edited:

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
How does a turbo controller differ from a normal controller (the gamepad, wii remote, etc.)? What is the point of using the turbo controller instead of a normal controller ( the gamepad, wii remote, etc.)?
Because it automates the process so you can leave it alone.

I'm at work right now and will probably come home to about 3-5 chars unlocked.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I figure it's worth mentioning that if you want to have a full random distribution among all characters, then you should make your "active" character to be Palutena. I know it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, but just in case, right?

Pyr

Smash Lord
I figure it's worth mentioning that if you want to have a full random distribution among all characters, then you should make your "active" character to be Palutena. I know it's pretty much common knowledge at this point, but just in case, right?
Or the Miis. Don't forget the Miis.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
Or the Miis. Don't forget the Miis.
The Miis reportedly cause a higher drop rate of Mii Headgear and Outfits, so while it's possible, Palutena is definitely the superior option in this case.

I can imagine using the Miis to farm the Headgear and Outfits to be extremely efficient though, all things considered.

DunnoBro

The Free-est
NNID
DunnoBro
I forgot to update, thanks for reminding. Yes, that's a vastly more efficient method (Can get them all within 3 days)

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
I'm going to have to give this a go. If my luck is any good, I'd enjoy getting the last 88 custom moves I'm missing. First I'll need to get a working turbo controller. My old one won't work anymore. Then go nag my friend to borrow his gamecube adapter.

Am I reading it right, that I should keep the game going for days?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm going to have to give this a go. If my luck is any good, I'd enjoy getting the last 88 custom moves I'm missing. First I'll need to get a working turbo controller. My old one won't work anymore. Then go nag my friend to borrow his gamecube adapter.

Am I reading it right, that I should keep the game going for days?
You probably should only keep the game going for a single day. After that you have so many customs it's faster to get them through other means. It's also recommended to set the character to something else than Palutena in your case since you have so many already.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
Good to know. I figured it was advised to use Palutena because all her custom moves are unlocked from the beginning? Regardless, I wouldn't questioned using her.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
About this your-active-character-doesn't-change-as-long-as-you-don't-leave-the-character-selection-screen rule... Does it apply to Trophy Rush too? Because then you could play Trophy Rush once using a specific character, then play Trophy Rush with Palutena and spam Heavenly Light until you get all the custom moves of the previous character.

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
So guys, I'm trying to get this method to work. I got the controller, looking for tape right now. But what all do I need to have taped down? I read "A Turbo", but i'm confused if that means the button A and Turbo. I only got one turbo button on my Gamestop controller.

Sorry for the trouble. I'm very bad at learning tricks without a visual aid.

Edit: Nevermind, I got it to work. :p The cutoms and trophies (I already got) are farming in~

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
That video covers all bases, except for the part where you should use Palutena with default controls to earn one wrench target manually, and then switch over to Turbodorf with the custom controls.

Pyr

Smash Lord
That video covers all bases, except for the part where you should use Palutena with default controls to earn one wrench target manually, and then switch over to Turbodorf with the custom controls.
That's not required. You can just play a single match as her in Vs and it counts. Quick 1 stock match against a level 1 is fine.

Source: Did this for all my unlocks without issues.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
it's entirely feasible to get all the customs within 3 days using this method.
72 hours straight on 2 different consoles has shown this estimate to be a bit too low. I'm at about 310-320 out of 376.

Probably going to give each of them one more day and then influence the character selection for the rest.

Sixfortyfive

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

Chocoroko

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chocoroko
After a month of doing this technique on and off, I managed to collect every custom move from every character. And yes, it was not always fun. Easy, but time savvy. I'm just glad to have them all collected.

I managed to pick up new headgear, and i'm still one short for the headgear collection.

From my experience, the trick works. But sometimes, some manual work is required, especially when you got a character who is missing 1-2 moves. I did this with Zero Suit and Little Mac, and my luck worked for me. Did this with them in Trophy Rush and Target Blast.

Now if I can only get that one headgear, and then I can worry about the trophies (all I'm missing is 3 you can only get from the challenges).

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Been doing this got a third of the cast's custom moves completely collected

Top Bottom