• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive players' thoughts on SSB for Wii U

How do you feel about some of the new modes in SSB4 as a COMPETITIVE PLAYER?

• Total voters

Laguna_Levine

Smash Rookie
Figured this would be the best place to get the opinions of people who feel they are competitive. I saw something similar on GameFAQs but obviously people there are more casual. I'm working on a review of the game but have been waiting to complete it until after more people have tried it. While I know a lot of reviewers have given this game positive reviews, but I feel like many ignored the competitive scene. I personally enjoy the newest game, but I feel the competitive players help give the games longevity and highlight needs for balance, which is why in my initial preview (It's on Junkies Nation) I made quick stabs at areas I felt more serious players may not appreciate. For example, I've already noticed Smash Tour is one of those areas people either love or hate, much like Field Smash

If you can comment on your opinions, that'd be great! I might use some in the final review.

Joulevard

Smash Rookie
All of the modes are phenomenal, but since I'm not a particularly competitive player when it comes to fighting games, I didn't vote in this poll. :p

Last edited:

Laguna_Levine

Smash Rookie
I agree with you Joul, but I'm also a casual. There's a lot in this game, and I didn't even bother to mention the "masterpieces" which, frankly, I've never heard of anyone who really plays them.

So, assuming only competitive gamers are voting (and you have to be at least somewhat hardcore about the series to use these forums IMO), 8 player smash actually seems a bit popular so far. Kind of surprised!

Last edited by a moderator:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I really don't like classic mode anymore. Many of the matches are 5+ player matches, which is annoying since your goal is to get first place every time. In addition, while I was excited to get to face Master Fortress, it was much more annoying than I would have thought. I've always hated those flowers that shoot laser cannons at you in Smash run, and they're all over Master Fortress. The other enemies in the fortress are also annoying but not as much.

Master/Crazy orders aren't bad; I find it great for getting CDs.

I played Smash tour with my brothers and it's more frustrating than Mario Party with other people. It wasn't as bad when I tried it by myself though, but kind of boring since it's intended to be a party game. The best part about the game is the end where you find your frustrations paid off with a bunch of rewards - but there's less frustrating ways to get those items.

Event mode is nice. Some of the events are very creative or fun to do - and could not possibly be done outside of the event match mode. The rewards are okay too, so even more win.

Stage builder is more difficult than I thought it would be (I know this isn't on the poll). It's hard to draw the stage you envision. Getting a good angle for a ledge can be tricky. It's better than Brawl's custom stage designer though.

Target Blast is still meh even though they added a couple new designs. You can tell by looking at your GSP that barely anyone plays it anyways.

The trophy options are really cool though

My opinions about the modes could be summarized as generally negative with a few exceptions.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This is the best iteration of Classic, including the 3DS version. I'm really surprised that Master Core hasn't gotten old.

Also, I'm actually really enjoying All Star mode on hard, much to my surprise. (I hated All Star on every other Smash game, including 3DS!) I think it's the perfect difficulty for single player smash, and that sweetspot makes all the difference.

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
I don't like the "NEW CLASSIC MODE" (new classic wut)

I dislike the target blast, and I hate how the new event mode is

CaP_Omega

Smash Apprentice
I like all the new modes, but. . . why would you ask about more accessibly enjoyable features of the game from a competitive perspective? If I felt like those modes were supposed to be played competitively I'd be intensely frustrated.

Last edited:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Well none of these really have anything to do with competition, except 3v3 and 4v4. But I'll bite:

As far as single player goes, 8 player matches are just awful and I wish they could be turned off. I haven't had a chance to play with humans to see if 3v3 and 4v4 can be good in a controlled environment, but I can tell you I absolutely hate it in Classic Mode. I already don't like FFAs, and 2v2s were bad enough when your teammate is an idiot, this just makes it worse. I honestly feel that Classic is totally ruined by this.

Smash Tour, eh. It's okay. I feel like it'd be a lot better if I could pick my starting characters instead of them being random, and pick who in my team I want to use for each fight rather than just cycling through them in order. And it's weird how the final battle is a stock match but the winner is whoever got the most KOs rather than whoever survived, and the time limit needs to be longer since you too often don't get down to a single survivor. Feels like collecting a large team doesn't even matter that much. And while I understand that the simultaneous turns are necessary to keep the game moving fast, it's so frustrating how I can never reach where I want to go without getting intercepted by an opponent cutting me off mid-move.

I don't really like Master Orders since they're all too weird and gimmicky, but I really love Crazy Orders. Ironically the challenges are a lot less crazy, and I like the pressure of having to judge whether to cash out now or continue gambling for more. I just wish there wasn't a time limit so I could continue going for longer and longer streaks, just make it so that you don't heal as much between rounds as time goes on instead. And because I'm a total masochist, I'm disappointed at how there's barely any penalty for failure, could've sworn the Direct said you'd lose it all. Instead you still keep like 90% of your loot, kinda takes all the risk and pressure out of it.

Events have always been good, and these are the best they've ever been. I love that they've added extra challenge conditions to each one. Though I'm a little disappointed by the "hidden routes" only being based on unlocking characters, thought they'd be based on those challenge conditions. And again the 8 player ones are stupid, especially when they put you on tiny stages that should never have 8 players (Castle Seige? Really?).

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Moved to general board because even though you are targeting the competitive player with the post, its not really a discussion for the competitive board.

Top Bottom