• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Custom Robo

황미영

Smash Champion
Has anyone ever done this before? Sadly, I have nothing to contribute. But I was just thinking about how I would love to play Custom Robo in tourneys. (You can say I got this idea from Gundam vs Gundam Next.)

There could be singles as well as doubles matches. And all the combination capable in the game would make all the battles really interesting.

I guess the two games that would be played are Arena and Custom Robo Battle Revolution aka Gamecube Custom Robo. xD

So, yeah... Give me some feedback on this idea. Also, if anyone has it for the DS, I'll be willing to play once I find my game, and see if I can use my sister's DS regularly. (Her's is such bad condition. >w>; )

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
wow crazy timing.

I've just been playing Custom Robo lately. I've always wanted to, and now I finally can!

But yeah. Awesome game. And one that would SEEM to been decent or something for competitive play.

But sadly I have not the slightest idea of where to look. I know that there is KINDA a competitve

Star Mox Assault com. but dunno about this.

I would certainly like to see this sort of thing. Competitive Custom Robo, I mean. Mayhaps someone here

knows whats up.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
I loved that game!

But the banned weapons in the game should be banned in tourneys aswell. The wyrm gun was very cheap!

황미영

Smash Champion
Yeah, I tried searching too, and I found absolutely nothing but dead groups on gamespot. And all the videos have to do with playing the storyline. (Since it has a tourney in it too. xD)

As for banned weapons, I would say to at least allow one part per robo. O:

It could work similar to Smash by counter picking stages and then parts or robo.

Beautiful Death

Smash Journeyman
I KNOW

gamefaqs was just empty.

And I mean theres diverse stages, a lot of dfferent combinations, it could work very similar to Smash.

I have no idea why there doesn't seem to be a community for this. I mean, if there's competitive STAR

FOX why no competitive Custom Robo?

Mind-BOGGLING, really.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
I think it could be interesting. The game itself even gives little tips on how to use each part, so the game itself encourages some degree on competitive play. And the weapons felt more creative to me than most shooter games.

Although, in the GCube version, the drill gun isn't technically a "banned" weapon but I felt it was really overpwoered. It shot so many shots so fast that getting hit at all basically instantly put you into that stun-state, and you could fire a few more volleys before they recovered. It also had virtually instant startup and had good range. Yeaahhhhhh....

chaindude

Smash Journeyman
the drill gun was good the range was decent but it was so easy to counter if you just dash once like in a half circle kinda way you would be free to fire your bomb at them. Or depending on your robo predict it and use your dash attack right through it

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'd try it, seriously. I love that game man. Story was awesome and so was game play (for the gamecube). : D So don't worry, at least one other person does care. : D

황미영

Smash Champion
Once you get out of the stun state, I guess you can just dash away. xD Or if the robo is close just charge. :p

Yay people do care! :'D

Well the DS version brings back some old custom robo types that were missing from the GC version. And instead of a can robo they have a chick robo. I really liked the can robo. xD

Everyone can say that the can is low tier. :p

Segtendo

Smash Hero
NNID
Segtend0
3DS FC
2552-4940-9357
I played Custom Robo on the Gamecube. That was an awesome game.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
It'd be rough trying to organize a tourney for a game like Custom Robo. A ton of people no doubt have fond memories, but finding a proficient group of players willing to make a trek of any sort to play it would probably prove difficult.

A rousing good time it would be if someone could make it work though.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Hahaha the can. Using the can would be instantly sandbagging (if they won).

What is your favorite model? Mine is the strike model (the girl) :]

UncleSam

Smash Master
I'd totally do this if it got serious.

It'd be rough trying to organize a tourney for a game like Custom Robo. A ton of people no doubt have fond memories, but finding a proficient group of players willing to make a trek of any sort to play it would probably prove difficult.
yeah it'd seem like something we'd start with arena first and if it catches on we start expanding.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Ill play someone in custom robo arena
i was God Like back in the day just tell me when u want to play and ill post my FC

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
my friend code is
2878 7449 6427

Feel free to hit me up if any of you want to play. my aim is in my profile

황미영

Smash Champion
I would but at the moment my sister's DS is dead, and the only way to charge it is with the car charger, since she lost her normal charger. >w>;

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
I just got the game for GC two weeks ago. And just because of this thread Im going to host Custom Robo tournaments along with my Smashfests. Awesome game.
Ds or gamecube?

Im gonna try my hardest to keep this thread bumped XD playing online was one of the best multi player experience I've ever had with a ds game

to bad pokemon D/P killed this game like ps2 did to dreamcast :urg::urg::urg::urg::urg::urg::urg::urg:

Smash_Gigas

Smash Lord
Im gonna try my hardest to keep this thread bumped XD playing online was one of the best multi player experience I've ever had with a ds game.
It was pretty cool, but I never liked the Illegal Part matches. Not ever since I fought this one guy with a godly Golden Robo. He flew around like 50ft in the air the whole match, raining down beams of ownage on my poor, clueless robo. XD

I loved the game's music.

UncleSam

Smash Master
It was pretty cool, but I never liked the Illegal Part matches. Not ever since I fought this one guy with a godly Golden Robo. He flew around like 50ft in the air the whole match, raining down beams of ownage on my poor, clueless robo. XD
When I'd get bored and use illegal parts I swear I used to do that.
lol my bad :p

yeah it is

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru

then dont use Illegal parts more people didnt use them then people who used them. my first illegal part match i perfected the guy with my normal set i was like:rotfl:

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
GC = GameCube. Forgot the N at the end. I might get the DS game but I wouldnt bother posting my friend code seeing as I have satellite internet with 1800 ping. Only place with Wifi is Walmart.

Finally beat the first story mode. The Grand Battle is... underwhelming. Practically no story to it.

I want to use a Action Replay so I can unlock all the parts right away. Thats the only thing keeping me from hosting a tournament(already have smash stuff ready). On the note of counter picking illegal parts... seriously? There are legal parts that need to be banned. Such as the stun gun. Has high hitlag, low shootlag, and draws the oppenent toward you. Meaning that if you get hit once at medium, or even long range, you are going to get stuck in a barrage of fire until you get knocked down.

And then we need a stage legality list. It may just be that its a counter to all my strats, but I believe the conveyor belt + magma stages need to be banned. Or at least put on Counter Pick. And High Wall seriously needs to be banned. No gun, bomb or pod can shoot over the walls. So all a person needs to do is pick flank pods and bombs, and you could never hit him. Not even throwing pods can shoot over the walls.

(No one will know what Im talking about since I appear to be the only one playing GCN version)

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Don't worry I play the GCN version hahaha and I like this sooo much. (I never have played the DS version)

I mean I like what you are saying... counter picking... but not in smash... custom robo. xD I don't remember the name of the stages that seem appropriate to me, but I know which ones. The ones that seem balanced enough for play... and definetly not the magma-conveyor belt stages haha... Those stages are just for fun or something.

Yeah the Grand battle has no story omg. Only thing that evolves from there is the difficulty, and the only reward is getting more parts.

Sadly, the game was too short. It was awesome though. I loved the story, music, gameplay, and characters.

황미영

Smash Champion
I don't think the stun gun is that OP. You're supposed to use every part on the robo in order to win. Remember that when you charge at someone you get invincibility frames, so you could go through the stun gun and get a knock down.

Doubles for the game would be insane, especially if someone made a team consisting of titian bomb and pods dealing damage in the whole arena and a good gun to deal better damage.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
GC = GameCube. Forgot the N at the end. I might get the DS game but I wouldnt bother posting my friend code seeing as I have satellite internet with 1800 ping. Only place with Wifi is Walmart.

Finally beat the first story mode. The Grand Battle is... underwhelming. Practically no story to it.

I want to use a Action Replay so I can unlock all the parts right away. Thats the only thing keeping me from hosting a tournament(already have smash stuff ready). On the note of counter picking illegal parts... seriously? There are legal parts that need to be banned. Such as the stun gun. Has high hitlag, low shootlag, and draws the oppenent toward you. Meaning that if you get hit once at medium, or even long range, you are going to get stuck in a barrage of fire until you get knocked down.

And then we need a stage legality list. It may just be that its a counter to all my strats, but I believe the conveyor belt + magma stages need to be banned. Or at least put on Counter Pick. And High Wall seriously needs to be banned. No gun, bomb or pod can shoot over the walls. So all a person needs to do is pick flank pods and bombs, and you could never hit him. Not even throwing pods can shoot over the walls.

(No one will know what Im talking about since I appear to be the only one playing GCN version)
the stun gun is like 1000% crap in Arena (most of the close range weapons are crap if your playing someone who knows the game well)
stages dont need to be banned IMO. its either u hate them or u love them

황미영

Smash Champion
I really hate the last stage in Arena, where the stage lights up and then fades back into the background. >:C

Sooo annoying, I run into the obstacles too much. xD

Does anyone use the different point of view?

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
Stun Gun out ranges charge. And I don't know about Arena but stun is medium range in GCN version. But yes against someone who knows what there doing its counter-able.

And no banning stages you say? So your saying every stage should be starter, or at the least, a counter pick? Do you realize how unfair some of these stages are? There some stages that have magma zones behind walls that aren't visible unless you are behind the wall, and therefore, on the magma zone. And the conveyor belt - magma zone stages forces you to pick a Robo that doesn't dash when he jumps, or else you will go into the magma zones.
(me being stupid cause I always use long thrusters, ignore last sentence)

And its not like every stage with magma zones in it is unfair. Some of them are balanced enough to be starter. But a stage with hidden/invisible traps should be banned. The conveyor belt stages are good enough for counter pick.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Stun Gun out ranges charge. And I don't know about Arena but stun is medium range in GCN version. But yes against someone who knows what there doing its counter-able.

And no banning stages you say? So your saying every stage should be starter, or at the least, a counter pick? Do you realize how unfair some of these stages are? There some stages that have magma zones behind walls that aren't visible unless you are behind the wall, and therefore, on the magma zone. And the conveyor belt - magma zone stages forces you to pick a Robo that doesn't dash when he jumps, or else you will go into the magma zones.
(me being stupid cause I always use long thrusters, ignore last sentence)

And its not like every stage with magma zones in it is unfair. Some of them are balanced enough to be starter. But a stage with hidden/invisible traps should be banned. The conveyor belt stages are good enough for counter pick.
The stun gun is close range in arena

And no banning stages you say?
Yea leave them how they are the stages are fair in arena even the ones that deals damage (besides the katana stage)

So your saying every stage should be starter, or at the least, a counter pick?
I think every stage is fine for starter. I mean maybe Custom got to mlg lvl or something like that maybe we can start talking about counter pics and what not but as of now i think the idea banning stages is just ridiculous.

Do you realize how unfair some of these stages are?
For me every stage is unfair. My main set is a close range set. and the people @ GF dont seem to have a problem with any of the stages & yes they play competitively.

but i guess if your talking about gcn version i dont really have much say sense i dont own that version

ZMan

Smash Master
cromartie high school aka albuquerque, nm
off the top of my head there are two stages in the gcn version that need to be banned (that really big stage with no walls an the other giant stage that has evil's face all over it).

what would a tier list look like for the gcn version (for body parts). personally i think strike vanisher models seem to be the best with the little dudes (can't remember their name) being the worst but that's just imo.

MrBlueSky

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RowdyRags
what would a tier list look like for the gcn version (for body parts). personally i think strike vanisher models seem to be the best with the little dudes (can't remember their name) being the worst but that's just imo.
Tier list in Custom Robo is stupid. Don't mean any offense, but CR is strictly counter balance, everything has many counters. The vanisher models can be countered by slow homing weapons. And with pods you can counter anything. Though I guess a tier list is possible.

One of those "little dudes" has the ability to dash, attack and change direction all at the same time, which is pretty beast. Hes broken like **** with Long Thrusters and Afterburner gun.

I haven't unlocked all the stages so I don't know what stages your talking about Zman. Some pictures would be nice, but I can agree that a stage with no walls needs to be banned. And whats wrong with Evils stage?

I saw some thread on IGN about a CRA tournament, but it died.

Artieboy, I bet the stages in CRA are about as fair as the ones in GCN version. There's mostly nothing wrong with these stages. There are some stages with magma zones in the corners hidden by walls. There not supposed to be hidden but the camera inevitably hides them from you. On some its not a problem since the magma zones are small and you can avoid them if you stay close to the wall, but one stage in particular has large magma zones. Its too much work keeping track of which corners have magma zones, so it needs to be banned.

But we really do need counter pick stages. Some stages are just too one sided for starters. And if every stage were a starter, how would we go about picking stages? We couldn't stage strike because that would take too long. Random stage selection is so anti competitive, especially since you don't know what stage your going to be on until your parts are picked. Two players would never agree to go on the same stage if they know what there doing.

And lastly, what is GF?

황미영

Smash Champion
The stages which I would say should not be allowed as starters or with the possibility of being banned are the ones with lava, they do 100 damage all the time as soon as you land there.

SirroMinus1

SiNiStEr MiNiStEr
NNID
Ajarudaru
Tier list in Custom Robo is stupid. Don't mean any offense, but CR is strictly counter balance, everything has many counters. The vanisher models can be countered by slow homing weapons. And with pods you can counter anything. Though I guess a tier list is possible.

One of those "little dudes" has the ability to dash, attack and change direction all at the same time, which is pretty beast. Hes broken like **** with Long Thrusters and Afterburner gun.

I haven't unlocked all the stages so I don't know what stages your talking about Zman. Some pictures would be nice, but I can agree that a stage with no walls needs to be banned. And whats wrong with Evils stage?

I saw some thread on IGN about a CRA tournament, but it died.

Artieboy, I bet the stages in CRA are about as fair as the ones in GCN version. There's mostly nothing wrong with these stages. There are some stages with magma zones in the corners hidden by walls. There not supposed to be hidden but the camera inevitably hides them from you. On some its not a problem since the magma zones are small and you can avoid them if you stay close to the wall, but one stage in particular has large magma zones. Its too much work keeping track of which corners have magma zones, so it needs to be banned.
Speaking on CRA behalf.
Theres a magma stage but all of the magma is in plain sight and not hidden behind anything. And yes i would say its fair. especially if your main set is a close range one. I don't know anything about how the GCN magma stages are so i cant really say anything. but for someone who's main set is a close range one i think its more than fair to allow magma stages for starting stages there no hidden magma panels in Arena,

If we come off with rules like ban this stage ban that stage these rules are catering to just a few people, because the game will just become about long and mid range weapons eliminating alot of the close range players go to stage or these guns work better on this stage than those guns parts ect. and lastly banning stages isn't a thing people should do off the bat.

IMHO magma stages are just fine atleast in the ds version

We couldn't stage strike because that would take too long. Random stage selection is so anti competitive, especially since you don't know what stage your going to be on until your parts are picked. Two players would never agree to go on the same stage if they know what there doing.

And lastly, what is GF?
dang that sux good thing its stage then robo in Custom Robo Arena
GF= gamefaqs
sorry if my thoughts seemed alittle cluttered.

Top Bottom