• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compendium of Lucas Advanced Techniques - 4/9

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Floorblast: PKT2 into the ground to hit the floor hard on your face, and have no PKT2 lag.

Thunderslide: Run off a platform and use PKT and then PKT2 immediately afterwards. This creates almost instantaneous PKT2 and is quick and unexpected.

Reverse Aerial PSIM: Use PSIM to turn around in the air by hitting diagonally down on the control stick. Useful for tether recovery and bair spikes if you foget to RAR.

PSIM Cancel: After absorbing something with PSIM, jump or shield to cancel the lag on PSIM. Your action will b instantaneous. Since you can shield and jump, you can also roll, dodge, upsmash, or PKT.

PKF lag cancel: Use PKF at the correct height in the air and airdodge before you hit the ground to cancel landing lag. Easily done by short hopping and using PKF ASAP.

A lot of this is in my PK Cross guide for Ness. You can check there for better info.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
lol great minds think alike!! i was messing around with that. i just dont see how it would work to my benefit in an actual match though yet
I have been messing around with this technique quite a bit since i just recently bought a gamecube controller...I have found that this can mostly be used for mind games and if you time it right, it can send you flying towards your opponent and hit them once the psi magnet deactivates...but back to the mind games, I used it against a couple of my friends and each time i used this reverse magnet pull they would try and keep up and act against it but this technique is so fast all they pretty much did was stand in a spot and turn their character leaving them open to my attacks...although just like any other techniques...if over-used this could be easily punished

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I dont know if anybody else has found this out yet so i thought id go ahead and explain it. While working on my jab lock I found a way to place the control stick so that you can move foward but when you tap a you will do a dtilt,and once the dtilt animation has stopped you will continue to walk foward and can again tap a as much as you want to do a dtilt. If you practice this so you can place the control stick at the right angle immediately you can keep somebody in a jab lock until you reach the edge of a stage or get them up against a wall and keep them there for as long as you want. In order to execute this you basically place the control stick just above the posstion where you crouch and then tilt it slightly to the left or right (dont tilt it to the side too much or you will o a ftilt instead of a dtilt). If done correctly you will see lucas slowly creeping to the direction you choose and when you hit a you will do a dtilt

Veril

Frame Savant
There is a PKF effect that corresponds to the reverse magnet pull if you wbpkf 2x in a row.

Also you can b-reverse a pkf right after a wavebounced pkf and get a WBPKF going the opposite direction.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
cool didn't know Lucas had so many ATs. I came by to check out if Lucas has any more potential, since i dont know much about him. Well i guess he does. Semi Wave Dash will be useful, but can only be used sometimes, because, like some other people said, it takes a little bit of time for you to SHFF then do a SWD. in that vid you posted, that was actually pretty good :) it was visible and stuff

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I have a question to you all. Is this a good combo for getting your opponent off the stage when you use this occasionally?

Jab, Jab, PSI magnet quickly and release as quickly as possible. Then from there, you edge guard.

I know this may be DI-able and can be shielded from the PSI Magnet part for a shield grab but if done occasionally, like Up-smash, could this be useful in any way?

Also, I was wondering if this would be useful?

Jab, Jab, grab and throw to combo out of.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
I have a question to you all. Is this a good combo for getting your opponent off the stage when you use this occasionally?

Jab, Jab, PSI magnet quickly and release as quickly as possible. Then from there, you edge guard.

I know this may be DI-able and can be shielded from the PSI Magnet part for a shield grab but if done occasionally, like Up-smash, could this be useful in any way?

Also, I was wondering if this would be useful?

Jab, Jab, grab and throw to combo out of.
look at this topic http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=188865
read, watch the videos and read all the posts

Muh

Smash Rookie
I read the main post but neglected to read all the comments, so I apologize if i write anything that has been already written. Not sure these would be called "advanced," but they are certainly helpful if you didn't know. Some things you may want to include:

-You can use the Psi-magnet to stall in the air.
This can be a good anti-gimping technique because it makes the timing of your recovery less predictable. Also, since gimping sometimes requires requires positioning in the air or taking advantage of ledge-hugging invincibility frames, stalling often forces your opponent out of a good position for gimping.

-You can turn around in midair with the Psi-magnet by tilting your control stick slightly in the direction opposite of which you are facing, but mostly down.
This can be useful because you can only tether when facing the ledge.(if there IS a way, let me know) It can also help you switch up your air attacks.

-Lucas has a very potent shieldgrab.
For many characters, attacks will often times push enemies out of range of grabbing. Lucas' extra range manages to make up for that and therefore opens up shieldgrab potential far greater then most. People are often discouraged to use Lucas' grab due to the horrible lag if you miss, but as long as you are good at shieldgrabbing, you will not miss and Lucas' grab instead becomes a great asset.

Lastly,I hear so much about zap jumping for recovery, does anyone else see the potential in using the zap jump as an escape? If you can see yourself getting caught in a bad position, why not zap jump to pull yourself out of it?

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I read the main post but neglected to read all the comments, so I apologize if i write anything that has been already written. Not sure these would be called "advanced," but they are certainly helpful if you didn't know. Some things you may want to include:

-You can use the Psi-magnet to stall in the air.
This can be a good anti-gimping technique because it makes the timing of your recovery less predictable. Also, since gimping sometimes requires requires positioning in the air or taking advantage of ledge-hugging invincibility frames, stalling often forces your opponent out of a good position for gimping.

-You can turn around in midair with the Psi-magnet by tilting your control stick slightly in the direction opposite of which you are facing, but mostly down.
This can be useful because you can only tether when facing the ledge.(if there IS a way, let me know) It can also help you switch up your air attacks.

-Lucas has a very potent shieldgrab.
For many characters, attacks will often times push enemies out of range of grabbing. Lucas' extra range manages to make up for that and therefore opens up shieldgrab potential far greater then most. People are often discouraged to use Lucas' grab due to the horrible lag if you miss, but as long as you are good at shieldgrabbing, you will not miss and Lucas' grab instead becomes a great asset.

Lastly,I hear so much about zap jumping for recovery, does anyone else see the potential in using the zap jump as an escape? If you can see yourself getting caught in a bad position, why not zap jump to pull yourself out of it?

your info is all correct....except when you talk about lucas' grab....hate to say it but his grab is absolutely horrible. thres no doubt about it. sure it has a bit more range but nowhere near as much as other character's tether grabs and it has just as much lag. over-all it just int the best option for the most part

Muh

Smash Rookie
I am very aware that Lucas' grab is in many ways lackluster. Due to its horrible ending lag it is a pretty poor choice when used offensively. But lets examine his grab to see how it can be useful when used defensively:

Summarizing Lucas' grab:

-relatively fast coming out
-has pretty good range
-has TERRIBLE ending lag if you miss
-In short, as long as you can land the grab, the downside of Lucas' grab isn't a problem.

This is where shieldgrabbing comes in. If you press the A button while blocking , you will immediately grab out of your shield. The idea is to block an attack and to grab the enemy quickly before they attack again(ie during the lag after their attack). In other words, While still holding the shield button, immediately press A after the attack's hitboxes no longer threaten you.

By exploiting this opening, you can easily punish an enemy attack. It takes some experimenting to know the best timing for different attacks, or whether you even should shieldgrab in certain situations, but this technique allows you to punish many attacks you normally couldn't.

Since you are only grabbing when you create this openning, your grab's success is guaranteed and you don't need to worry about punishable ending lag.

Muh

Smash Rookie
As for other defensive grabbing, here is a video I found where Yoshi used his grab to counter metaknights tornado(around the 1:40ish area):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-MQUHnIBUQ

As far as my understanding goes, Lucas' grab should work the same. However, I don't want to make assumptions here, so can anyone confirm this?

chaossagec

Smash Rookie
I haven't gotten into too many threads on smashboards yet, but I read through this one and didn't see anything like what I have been working on.

A friend of mine plays Ness and often double jumps right from the ground to aproach opponents faster. Using this inspiration and recalling that zap jump is performed on the double jump, I began trying to zap jump from the ground.

I'm certainly not good at it yet, but I set L to jump and do the following:

1. Hit up on control analog (tap jump as we all call it) and L at the same time
2. Rapidly afterwards, I hit the Cstick (I use Bstick) to either side

Even for me, this results in a zap jump directly from the stage about 70% of the time. I have also tried tap jump -> L -> Bsticked PKF in rapid succession and it seems to accomplish the same thing many times. If possible I will put up a video of this, but I don't know how long that would take, so if anyone else has a video of it or feels like making one, I say go for it. Ground zap jumping, as I will call it, is one more mind game to add to Lucas' long list.

ChaosTheoryX

Smash Lord
I haven't gotten into too many threads on smashboards yet, but I read through this one and didn't see anything like what I have been working on.

A friend of mine plays Ness and often double jumps right from the ground to aproach opponents faster. Using this inspiration and recalling that zap jump is performed on the double jump, I began trying to zap jump from the ground.

I'm certainly not good at it yet, but I set L to jump and do the following:

1. Hit up on control analog (tap jump as we all call it) and L at the same time
2. Rapidly afterwards, I hit the Cstick (I use Bstick) to either side

Even for me, this results in a zap jump directly from the stage about 70% of the time. I have also tried tap jump -> L -> Bsticked PKF in rapid succession and it seems to accomplish the same thing many times. If possible I will put up a video of this, but I don't know how long that would take, so if anyone else has a video of it or feels like making one, I say go for it. Ground zap jumping, as I will call it, is one more mind game to add to Lucas' long list.
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but i fail to see any usefullness for this technique. zap jump is used to get to higher points in order to recover, or to reach an opponent that is higher in the air than a normal double jump could reach. other than that, there really arent any ways that doing zap jump directly from the ground could be used as a mind game. sorry

chaossagec

Smash Rookie
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but i fail to see any usefullness for this technique. zap jump is used to get to higher points in order to recover, or to reach an opponent that is higher in the air than a normal double jump could reach. other than that, there really arent any ways that doing zap jump directly from the ground could be used as a mind game. sorry
Nothing to be sorry about. I never said it was all that useful. However, a few people that saw me do this were caught off guard simply because they hadn't seen zap jump from the ground before. Other than a small (not that great) mind game, the only use this might have is a quick escape. Obviously it won't be used much because shielding/dodging is usually better for avoiding attacks.

Levitas

the moon
The other thing is that you are now high in the air, descending, with your opponent directly below you in juggling position. At least do a magnet pull after this to GTFO from above him.

Veril

Frame Savant
Yeah... while zapjumping from the ground is possible, and not difficult even, its pointless. If there is ever any reason you would want to do this (cough, Norfair), you would want to do some type of wavezap. And there's no reason not to just short hop into it instead. For moving really fast across the stage you'd be much better off doing a lagless fullhop wavebounced pkfire into a magnet pull.

I mean, I'm the last to admit something is useless... but its useless.

Also, the fact that nothing interesting has even been discussed here since reverse magnet pull makes me sad.

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
Zapjumping is pretty much pointless from the ground
especially if the character you're facing has better priority moves than u (cough, Metaknight) , thus are able to easily juggle you.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
Hey guys how do you do the zap jump to magnet pull, I've been try to do it like for three days now and i cant get it and how the hell do you this this http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fw9qs-EZg8 I can do it by spamming left and right really quick while I'm dashing but can someone tell me the correct method of doing this.
yay! that's my fight!!!
to zap jump then magnet pull, you have to use a wavezap.
a wavezap is performed but doing your double jump and almost at the same time do a wavebounced pk fire
what i did in that video, is just short hop wavebounced pk fire. I use b-stick, so i just run foward, jump, and pk fire backwards (while pressing right, b-stick to the left)
look for veril's faq for more info

soccerdude7200

Smash Journeyman
you pretty much have to use b-stick
i think you can do it without it, but it is not as effective.

Like apc said, you hold forward and do b sticked pk fire (in the opposite direction that you are going) and your second jump at the same time. Then do a psi magnet to do the magnet pull part.

Paladinight

Smash Apprentice
Over there! no, no, the one on the left or is it t
I can't b-stick I use wiimote and nunchuk, but I can get around it, like I got around DACUS it is way easier than using a GC controller.

So for that zap jump and magnet pull how do you use it as a recovery? I saw one guy do it and it was sweet.

Off topic: APC I played you in JUS

Veril

Frame Savant
I can't b-stick I use wiimote and nunchuk, but I can get around it, like I got around DACUS it is way easier than using a GC controller.

So for that zap jump and magnet pull how do you use it as a recovery? I saw one guy do it and it was sweet.

Off topic: APC I played you in JUS
You can b-stick with the wiimote.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
showing the "newest Lucas Techniques"
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=JvuUzJ-eOsw
what you can see in the vid:
1. Quad PK Fire
2. Full Hop magnet pull (combo'd into nair)
3. Cancelled nair to double jump triple dair
4. Jab cancel to grab
5. Grab release to dtilt trip
Notes: the nair after the magnet pull can be faster, and the third dair can be faster to, that way you can lag with less lag

BlackFLow

Smash Rookie
anyone notice that if you do an aerial and fast fall during the second half (falling part ) of a jump u fast fall faster. Especially when you u-air and then fast fall you shoot down super fast. So you can play mindgames or what not and pretend to d-air or jump over them then shoot down right beside them and jab,grab,smash etc. with no lag

Aura_Fear

Smash Cadet
Alright, I've got a question. I "discovered" this a while ago but wasn't sure what to make of it.

Basically, I figured that I could get some good use from a b reversed magnet pull (for mindgames and such). The first few times, the technique did what I expected, and Lucas's movement looked like a >. Then, when I tried it again, I got the direction of a regular magnet pull (without the b-reverse, a straight line) but Lucas was turned around (facing the opposite direction that I launched the PK fire). What am I doing differently?

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
This has all been very helpfulto me thank ye very mucho.

I've made Lucas one of my main along with Ganondorf and I've been lurking the Lucas boards recently. I'll be more active now I believe :)

~Pink Fresh~

Smash Master
This has all been very helpfulto me thank ye very mucho.

I've made Lucas one of my main along with Ganondorf and I've been lurking the Lucas boards recently. I'll be more active now I believe :)
you will probably be the most active member tbh. join the omelet chatroom social group, get up some vids, participate in the little discussion we have, ask some questions, give good advice/critiques, have a good understanding of Lucas, and maybe we will let you into the OBR :)

Top Bottom