• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo: Jab to Rest

Jiggly

Drop the mic, cause these fools sleeping on me
The FBI Surveillance Van outside your house.
NNID
Jiggly101
Hey Guys! I heard that Jab to Rest was a combo, and I decided to try it out. It seems that after jab one, many characters can get hit with rest immediately after. You need to jab, and then buffer the rest to get the full effect. This only works grounded at really low percents (0-5%) for most characters , and it works SH when buffered. I will try to get some videos up soon showing it.

So far, I've found it works on the following characters with no DI on FD:

Grounded:

Mario: 22% front 29% back
Yoshi: 27% front and back
Donkey Kong: 102% front (kills) 127% back (kills)

Diddy Kong: 50% front 54% back (kills on back if at 52-54)
Ganondorf: 31% Front and Back
King DeDeDe: 53% front 46% back
Fox: 46% front (kills) 33% back
Falco: 73% (kills)
Charizard: 35% from front, 161% from back (kills)
Ness: 61% (kills)
Villager: 63% (kills)
Olimar: 31%
Dr. Mario: 27%
Megaman: 60%
Lucas: 66% (kills)
Ryu: 19% front, doesnt work from back

Shorthop:

Alright, so at high percents this is basically a guaranteed combo unless they expect it and are frame perfect. After the jab, they are put into hitstun and there is about ~3 frames where they can do an action before they hit the ground. And you hit them with rest about 2 frames after they hit the ground. I need exact frame data, but it's all close.

If the opponent jumps, you get the rest. If they air dodge, they get twenny something frames of landing lag from airdodging into the ground, so it works. If they just try to DI the jabs and do nothing else, it works. If they wait after the jab until they hit the ground and shield, it won't work. This is hard to get, you have to be expecting it and really good. It is a tiny window, but possible. But most opponents will have airdodged and not wait to shield, or DI'd expecting the second jab.

Warning: This combo is confirmed to work on everyone except Kirby and Jigglypuff.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to adapt the combo or find that it works on other characters and I wasn't able to pull it off, let me know down in the comments. I'm hoping this can help you guys out :)

Last edited:

Yokoblue

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0345-0592-4740
Sadly this will only be viable on top platforms of some stage and even then I think fatties wont die... (if only applicable at under 30-40%:(
Thanks for the finds, I would love to see videos

Last edited:

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I was told this was stated before, but consider me the founder of this for now as I also tested this out beforehand.

Like I stated before in the social, I pulled this off in paragon. I was close to 150% and landed the jab>rest. It does kill at a certain percent, so training mode only point out only half of the outcome. Once I gather more info from the game, I will post the results.

It has to be pulled off right and fast. It is difficult, and may turn out rare. Still, it's a thing, so I intend to pull every arsenal I can find in a set. Plus, sing is viable right now.

Last edited:

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Jab hit 2 can combo into rest on characters against a wall. Perhaps we can fidget with the fact characters who land after jab suffer landing lag at moderate to high percents so we may be able to rest them then guaranteed but it won't register in training. Its a frame trap where if they use an airdodge they will get rested during its landing lag.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Okay, there are some weird things about this combo. It works on most characters, but their grounded hitstun animation causes them to sway, so an immediate rest wont always work, or sometimes the animation is different depending on spacing, which is weird. So you can do this on other puffs immediately at low percents, but you cant be touching, you have to be super close. That's why I was having issues doing it again with bowser. There seems to be a bunch of weird rules to this combo, but I'm gonna try to lab it, and maybe you guys could too!!! :D

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
Honestly I don't see how jab 1 into rest is even a thing atm.
What would be the point of pulling this out at low percent?
Unless you guys are actually telling me this works in all percentage?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I mean, to be fair, it's still dealing 30+%, which is probably less than what the opponent's punish will do, and it's perfect for a Teams scenario.

Also, you cannot DI moves that don't put you in tumble, so you don't have to worry about that being a problem.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I found that jab-SH-Rest is an option, works on all characters. Not a true combo, gives 3 frames of reaction time before rest if you do it right. Nice for kills if your opponent is trying to DI your hits, as it will stop them from shielding during that 3 frame time period. I am trying to lab some stuff, and hopefully I can get a video of this shizz if my computer stops being stupid.

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
If we're really trying to mess them up you can probably trap with double jab to jab1 - SH - rest. I think it should give your brain a bit more time to set up, then the gap between jab2 and second jab1 catches any shield they might be buffering, which lets you hitconfirm before the Rest (and spotdodge if they brought out shield or something). If they aren't prepared to shield by the second jab1 then you probably have a good chance to land, I think.

I'm also imagining that if you can land it once, you can make them extra careful to shield jabs, and then you can mix up with jab - grab, or even jab - SH - dair - Pound or something to try and break shield.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
If we're really trying to mess them up you can probably trap with double jab to jab1 - SH - rest. I think it should give your brain a bit more time to set up, then the gap between jab2 and second jab1 catches any shield they might be buffering, which lets you hitconfirm before the Rest (and spotdodge if they brought out shield or something). If they aren't prepared to shield by the second jab1 then you probably have a good chance to land, I think.

I'm also imagining that if you can land it once, you can make them extra careful to shield jabs, and then you can mix up with jab - grab, or even jab - SH - dair - Pound or something to try and break shield.
I'll try this out, the only thing is I'm afraid at kill percent, 3 jabs will give them more time to prepare for rest...

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
When the opponent is at high percentages, Jab 1-2-ForwardSH-Rest is a combo on many, still trying to work out the kinks. But I've been pulling off jab-rests combos a lot lately, it may be an effective strategy to implement into your playstyle! :D

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
This is known as a Jab reset and it's been around since Melee. It works for a lot of characters with jabs that do little knockback like Mario, but I'd say Jigglypuff benefits most from it. FYI, you also forward smash instead of Resting. Watch HungryBox, he Jab resets to Rest all the time.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
This is known as a Jab reset and it's been around since Melee. It works for a lot of characters with jabs that do little knockback like Mario, but I'd say Jigglypuff benefits most from it. FYI, you also forward smash instead of Resting. Watch HungryBox, he Jab resets to Rest all the time.
You're wrong, this is different. Jab reset is using a jab on a fallen opponent who missed a tech. This jab forces them to getup, and not getup attack or roll getup. Then you get a free rest because they have to getup. This combo works when you jab at a neutral point as well, any jab hit works, not just jab reset. :)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
You're wrong, this is different. Jab reset is using a jab on a fallen opponent who missed a tech. This jab forces them to getup, and not getup attack or roll getup. Then you get a free rest because they have to getup. This combo works when you jab at a neutral point as well, any jab hit works, not just jab reset. :)
So it's essentially the same thing, with different execution? While they're standing up, of course. Reset seems like a more reliable technique, though.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
only problem tho is jigglypuff Jab is too strong for Jab Lock/Reset an opponent, only her Fair can do it and thats around 20~% D: which is really sad since if her jab could jab lock, she would be top tier with how easy she has with getting the opponent tumbling on the ground! her Nair and Fair can easy put the opponent tumbling on the ground when you shortjump into the attacks at 40-50%

Last edited:

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I pulled this off on a villager yesterday by shielding his nair and punishing.
I find that anyone who hasn't correctly spaced a non-disjointed aerial can be punished OOS with just a rest once the hitbox has ended and characters are still overlapping. Not sure if OOS jab-rest is necessary, but I guess the extra percentage could make the difference if they were between 45-60% and that jab pushed them to kill percentage.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
I've edited OP with percents they work to. I figured out the reason it worked on bowser and jigglypuff sometimes, and sometimes not. The CPU in training does random DI, and it would hit because they DI'd towards me. It looks like it works on all characters if they DI towards you, but that's not trustworthy.

Also, most characters seem to get comboed at higher percents if jabbed from behind. Might be interesting to look into, when the opponent is hit from behind, they turn around. It seems that after turning around their hurtbox is increased for a bit. I will look into percents it works from behind.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
I've edited OP with percents they work to. I figured out the reason it worked on bowser and jigglypuff sometimes, and sometimes not. The CPU in training does random DI, and it would hit because they DI'd towards me. It looks like it works on all characters if they DI towards you, but that's not trustworthy.

Also, most characters seem to get comboed at higher percents if jabbed from behind. Might be interesting to look into, when the opponent is hit from behind, they turn around. It seems that after turning around their hurtbox is increased for a bit. I will look into percents it works from behind.
Awesome research man. Keep it up :) Jiggs needs another few tricks to pull out.

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
Jab SH rest is so good, people need to start do ing it more

light weight: 80-100

medium: 80-120

heavy: 110-130

those are the percents when it's a true combo it seems, I don't want to study it because I have to no to study it with, so no character percents will come from me, if anyone wants to check it out, please do so!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Jab SH rest is so good, people need to start do ing it more

light weight: 80-100

medium: 80-120

heavy: 110-130

those are the percents when it's a true combo it seems, I don't want to study it because I have to no to study it with, so no character percents will come from me
You don't have two controllers you can test with in Training Mode's "hold L to advance frames" mode? That's all you need to do it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
that sounds difficult with the strict timing of JSHR, but I can try...
You're just holding Shield on the second controller, and you can buffer every input post-Jab on the first controller. It's really not hard.

Last edited:

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
You're just holding Shield on the second controller, and you can buffer every input post-Jab on the first controller. It's really not hard.
IT ISNT OMG!!! I JUST LEARNED A LOT!!!

Alright, so at high percents this is basically a guaranteed combo unless they expect it and are frame perfect. After the jab, they are put into hitstun and there is about ~3 frames where they can do an action before they hit the ground. And you hit them with rest about 2 frames after they hit the ground. I need exact frame data, but it's all close.

If the opponent jumps, you get the rest. If they air dodge, they get twenny something frames of landing lag from airdodging into the ground, so it works. If they just try to DI the jabs and do nothing else, it works. If they wait after the jab until they hit the ground and shield, it won't work. This is hard to get, you have to be expecting it and really good. It is a tiny window, but possible. But most opponents will have airdodged and not wait to shield, or DI'd expecting the second jab.

Warning: This combo is confirmed to work on everyone except Kirby and Puff.

This is something I think everyone needs to implement, my god.

Psymon

Smash Sweetheart
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Weight - That's a table to the weight attributes of each character. From what you mentioned earlier about the percentages, it's almost as if their weight values would be the best percentage at which to Jab>Rest them =|. Food for thought. I'll put some testing in at some point.

Hoejja

Smash Apprentice
So jab 1 to rest ? Do we need to dash and jump to rest, or just jump to rest, or just rest ?

Jiggly

NNID
Jiggly101
So jab 1 to rest ? Do we need to dash and jump to rest, or just jump to rest, or just rest ?
Jab Rest, which shows the percents, is when you are as close as possilbe to the opponent, jab, and then immediately rest.

Jab SH Rest, which works on most of the characters and percentages I haven't touched on yet, you need to jab, do the initial dash forward and SH, keeping the momentum and rest right after you leap off of the ground. The hopping outs you inside of them so you can get the rest off, and the reason you cant just dash to rest is because there are skid frames.

Top Bottom