• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Ganon: The Original King Of Evil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Would :4link: give him as much trouble as he would in their own games.
I envision Ganon's Side-B as being his Trident Throw, which would block other projectiles but travel slowly and nerf Ganon's range while not holding it, so Ganon's main answer to Link's much faster projectile spam would leave him vulnerable if Link can avoid it. So assuming Link's decently mobile and retains his strong projectile game, he should give Ganon plenty of trouble, though Ganon's ability to live to high %s and kill early means Link has to play patiently and get a lot of chip damage, so it'll be tough on both ends.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I envision Ganon's Side-B as being his Trident Throw, which would block other projectiles but travel slowly and nerf Ganon's range while not holding it, so Ganon's main answer to Link's much faster projectile spam would leave him vulnerable if Link can avoid it. So assuming Link's decently mobile and retains his strong projectile game, he should give Ganon plenty of trouble, though Ganon's ability to live to high %s and kill early means Link has to play patiently and get a lot of chip damage, so it'll be tough on both ends.
How would Ganon take care of :4zelda:?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Ghirahim will not replace Ganondorf. That is what we can be 100% sure about.

The Trophy Quiz theory seems to be indicating that we're getting a Zelda newcomer, so I'm hoping that it will be Ganon. If it's Ghirahim, well, I hope he's fun to play as.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I think I posted a movest on here a bit ago, but it's worth a repost.

The ONLY problem I have with Ganon is that I can't think of a suitable Final Smash.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
How would Ganon take care of :4zelda:?
Sakurai hates Zelda and is going to make her terrible again so people play as Palutena. But in all seriousness, Zelda may be able to outcamp Ganon if her moves actually have decent frame data, as Ganon's projectiles will be slow enough for her to use Nayru's Love, and Ganon's slow enough to actually have trouble getting around Din's Fire. Ganon nevertheless can outrange her with his trident and has the advantage in terms of his midrange game. He also lives much longer than Zelda, so Zelda might be able to annoy him, but Ganon ends up with a slight advantage.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I think I posted a movest on here a bit ago, but it's worth a repost.

You didn't, actually. I'll add it to the OP.

The ONLY problem I have with Ganon is that I can't think of a suitable Final Smash.
As I've mentioned before, I think the Dark World could work as a Final Smash for Ganon.

He would transform the stage into a realm of darkness and summon a horde of monsters to fight the other characters.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
To answer @ Oracle_Summon Oracle_Summon 's question about how Ganon would deal with :4link: well the fact of the matter is Link is a loser, he doesn't get to win, therefore Ganon is pretty much always beating up on him, Link is my favorite punching bag, btw.

As for how he'll take care of :4zelda:well, I think Zelda will be giving Ganon some of her Nayru's Love if you know what I mean, cause she totally digs the monster.

Haibu

Smash Rookie
Ganon should primarily be a Ranger/Zoner who plays keep away with powerful projectile attacks and his Trident. He would also have teleportation to make up for his slow speed. He would also have some Bruiser characteristics, but would mainly play as a defensive character that uses his long reach and projectiles to make it difficult for the opponent to approach, though more mobile characters can maneuver around his laggy moves and punish him. He functions a lot like King Dedede, but exchanges D3's grab game and edgeguarding tools for more powerful projectiles and Teleport(think Mewtwo) to allow him to recover, get away, or even get in close when necessary.
Amen brother.. I also think the teleports/invisibility and funky projectiles would give him some trickster qualities as well.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
I'm kinda doubting that Sakurai is going to include Ganon, as he seems to be barely acknowledging Classic Zelda in favor of modern Zelda.

Is there any way to lobby for the guy's inclusion? Beyond hoping that Sakurai is logical enough to not put Ghirahim in instead?

TeamFlareZakk

I'm kinda doubting that Sakurai is going to include Ganon, as he seems to be barely acknowledging Classic Zelda in favor of modern Zelda.

Is there any way to lobby for the guy's inclusion? Beyond hoping that Sakurai is logical enough to not put Ghirahim in instead?
There is hope, I think ALBW could be that hope, it is one of the more modern Zelda games and our monster Ganon was in that game, I think we're getting ALBW Ganon with a Yuga Ganon costume and like I said they could just have Ganon wear the Ganondorf costume, also I like to point out that Zelda should be getting a Hilda costume as well as Toonlink getting a Ravio and LBTW Link costume, these costume ideas really support seeing LBTW Ganon considering he'd get the Yuga Ganon costume.

I'm thinking about the scenario that Ganondorf is swapped out for Ganon btw, which is actually more likely than Ghirahim, but if Ganondorf does return, all we can really ask for in regards of our favorite King of Evil is maybe Ganondorf would have a Yuga Ganon skin, because we know his final smash would be some form of Ganon.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There is hope, I think ALBW could be that hope, it is one of the more modern Zelda games and our monster Ganon was in that game, I think we're getting ALBW Ganon with a Yuga Ganon costume and like I said they could just have Ganon wear the Ganondorf costume, also I like to point out that Zelda should be getting a Hilda costume as well as Toonlink getting a Ravio and LBTW Link costume, these costume ideas really support seeing LBTW Ganon considering he'd get the Yuga Ganon costume.

I'm thinking about the scenario that Ganondorf is swapped out for Ganon btw, which is actually more likely than Ghirahim, but if Ganondorf does return, all we can really ask for in regards of our favorite King of Evil is maybe Ganondorf would have a Yuga Ganon skin, because we know his final smash would be some form of Ganon.
Okay, but worst-case-scenario, in which Ganon is demoted to Final Smash again and Ghirahim is the new Zelda newcomer...
Can we lobby for a Project M Ganon? Get petitions? Whatever the hell those K. Rool guys were doing before Gematsu lost credibility?
Or can we only hope?

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Okay, but worst-case-scenario, in which Ganon is demoted to Final Smash again and Ghirahim is the new Zelda newcomer...
Can we lobby for a Project M Ganon? Get petitions? Whatever the hell those K. Rool guys were doing before Gematsu lost credibility?
Or can we only hope?
I would say that the Ganon Support Thread has hope, but has to take down Ganondorf who has been in the Smash games since Melee. If Ganon can be seen with more potential for original by Sakurai then he will get in over Ganondorf.

Worst case scenario, Ganon is not recognized and Ganondorf gets the same moveset since Melee.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43

There's definitely a chance, as the games of the new character reps read very much like a best of Wii/DS/3DS list, and ALBW certainly fits the bill in that respect. Just having Ganondorf returning is still the most likely outcome, especially since that would explain keeping Link and Zelda's TP looks, but after Sakurai passed up Chrom for the more original Robin, it's still possible if highly unlikely.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Here's a thought: We have yet to see another Wii U Zelda stage.

Skyloft: Link
Spirit Train: Toon Link
Gerudo Valley: Shiek

It's unlikely that another Skyward Sword stage will be unveiled, and another Toon stage is hard to believe (hurting Ghirahim's and Vaati's odds), so a Classic Zelda stage could be unveiled.

Or all this stuff could be pointing to Impa.

TeamFlareZakk

Well, @ Dalek_Kolt Dalek_Kolt in that case, I like Ghirahim, he's a cool character, but I hope he's not added, unless he's a dlc character.

Reducing Ganon to a Summoning character, I just don't see that happening, Zelda characters are different from Fire Emblem characters, meaning if somebody asks you who's the main 3 Zelda characters, the answer would be always be Link, Zelda and Ganon, all three of these characters make The Legend of Zelda, therefore with that said there is no way Ghirahim is replacing Ganon.

Keep in mind Chrom was going t be in, but according to Sakurai he was just another guy with a sword from the same series, at least Lucina has the whole hey she's a playable female character from the Fire Emblem series, but Chrom would have like Lucina been somewat a clone of Marth, except the worst part would of been no playable female Fire Emblem characters and I tell you what female characters is definitely a huge part of Fire Emblem.

Anyway my point is lets look at Ganon, he uses a Trident, this is a weapon nobody else uses, thanks to Yuga Ganon, we got a modern version of Ganon, also Sakurai once mentioned he was looking into bringing back classic characters, Little Mac was one, Isaac could be one representing the GBA era since Golden Sun was one of GBA's best, and then there is Ganon, think about it, Ghirahim is just another guy with sword too, except the real problem with Ghirahim is he does not represent the big evil of the Zelda series, only Ganon can do that, whether he's Ganondorf, Ganon, doesn't matter, he's Ganon, The King of Evil, if anybody should be the final smash, its Ghirahim turning the Demise Sword for Ganon to use.

Btw, how about Lorule Castle as a stage?

I still think the Spirit Train was a waste for the 3ds though, I'm not playing on that stage, Gerudo Valley will have to do, which is fine I guess, I put up with Termina Bay for 7 years in Melee.

Haibu

Smash Rookie
Here's a little more comprehensive of a semi-working moveset. I'm not super satisfied with all of them. I do like the idea of incorporating some of Ganondorf's unique aspects from the SSB games, like the face grab.

One thing I really want to do is put his signature trident twirl in somewheres. Not sure, maybe for nair and/or part of the jab combo. It might be more more faithful to the games if his twirl happened before he threw the trident, perhaps as a charge animation.

Oh yeah, and then there's the whole trident-less set of moves I haven't worked out at all.

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
I'm a supporter of this, add me!
I can't belive that the original Ganon has never been in the game before! It's also a classic and recurring character, I can't see why he can't be in. I think he is way more relevant than Ganondorf.

Haibu

Smash Rookie
Even if Sakurai passes on bringing in something resembling our classic beast Ganon as a playable character, I could see Ganon having hope in the ProjectM realm, or even later DLC... Anyways, as far as a stage goes, I see a few good possibilies:

NES: Death Mountain. I think something directly inspired by this room would be a good home stage for our "hero".

SNES: Dark World Temple. This is my favorite option, possibly as a relatively featureless, competitive-ready stage.

N64: Ganondorf's Castle. Might be a fun transformation stage, going between the "organ room", collapsing castle-top, and the post-collapse arena in which you fight beast-Ganon, before the ocarina plays and turns back time, starting the cycle over again.

3DS: Hyrule/Lorule. I'm envisioning a 2-part transforming stage, alternating between light world and dark world castle rooftops.

I might make some time for a few mock-ups I could get some input on, later.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
A stage for Ganon's NES room would be particularly appreciated for SSB. But I imagine his SNES room is more popular.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Even if Sakurai passes on bringing in something resembling our classic beast Ganon as a playable character, I could see Ganon having hope in the ProjectM realm, or even later DLC... Anyways, as far as a stage goes, I see a few good possibilies:

NES: Death Mountain. I think something directly inspired by this room would be a good home stage for our "hero".

SNES: Dark World Temple. This is my favorite option, possibly as a relatively featureless, competitive-ready stage.

N64: Ganondorf's Castle. Might be a fun transformation stage, going between the "organ room", collapsing castle-top, and the post-collapse arena in which you fight beast-Ganon, before the ocarina plays and turns back time, starting the cycle over again.

3DS: Hyrule/Lorule. I'm envisioning a 2-part transforming stage, alternating between light world and dark world castle rooftops.

I might make some time for a few mock-ups I could get some input on, later.
Our best bet is a Wii U stage, so that rules out Lorule.

Crossing fingers for a aLttP stage...

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Consider me a Ganon supporter. I'm not sure how likely he is, but I really like the idea of him being playable.

BowserK.Rool

Smash Champion
I wonder, what if Ganon is a transformation move of Ganondorf like Zelda and Sheik were in Melee? I think that'd be cool, plus, Ganondorf DID transform into Ganon at the end of Ocarina Of time.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
To see a serious character like Ganondorf transform into classic pig Ganon would be funny. It could work in a canonical game someday, and it should have happened already, but classic pig Ganon will likely receive a scarier redesign first.

CheeseBroJoe

Smash Cadet
Does anyone else somewhat prefer ocarina of time style beast Ganon? I may be biased simply because the final battle theme played when you fight Ganon is one of my favorite video game tracks of all time, but I generally do like his appearance better in Ocarina. Not saying I don't like the OG Ganon though. He's still rad as all hell.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
There are different reasons to like each one. I probably preferred OoT Ganon in the past, since OoT was my first TLoZ game, but learning about classic blue Ganon has changed me.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
We currently have no representation from the classic top down Zeldas. I really don't get people that don't prioritize Ganon, the actual original villain of the series, over other possible Zelda newcomers.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
We currently have no representation from the classic top down Zeldas. I really don't get people that don't prioritize Ganon, the actual original villain of the series, over other possible Zelda newcomers.
It's like some inverted K. Rool:

People love the original antagonist and hate the new oneshots of Donkey Kong Country, yet love the oneshots and ignore the original antagonist.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
It's like some inverted K. Rool:

People love the original antagonist and hate the new oneshots of Donkey Kong Country, yet love the oneshots and ignore the original antagonist.
That is weird and true, never really thought about that. I always felt that if we "need" a young Link then we also "need" pig Ganon. He represents an entire time line and almost half the games in the series.

Hong

The Strongest
Since I don't think Retro Link is going to happen, Ganon is my most wanted Legend of Zelda newcomer. Let this happen.

Hexaped

Smash Journeyman
Reading Spazzy_D's post inspires a thought. Does anyone disagree with the idea that we are almost guaranteed an ALBW stage for SSB43DS? Has one been shown already? We know Mr. Sakurai stated that he tries to represent the most current productions for a series.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Reading Spazzy_D's post inspires a thought. Does anyone disagree with the idea that we are almost guaranteed an ALBW stage for SSB43DS? Has one been shown already? We know Mr. Sakurai stated that he tries to represent the most current productions for a series.
I think A Link Between Worlds was too recent unfortunately. We already have Gerudo Valley and Spirit Tracks representing portable Zelda, so I doubt we will have a third.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then again, we already have like four Mario maps on the 3DS version alone (so far) so a third Zelda stage for the 3DS version? Eh why not....
There are quite a few handheld Zelda's that could have used a neat stage ages ago and an ALBW stage would be pretty cool too.

Haibu

Smash Rookie
Howdy Ganon fans! I showed off my take on Ganon in TP's style before, but here's a few more shots of the finalized model. (It's not rigged yet, unfortunately)

This is super impressive and awesome... Though I'm a complete sucker for the old blue pig-dracula version, seeing TP Ganon upright with armor is also extremely bad ass. How are we going to get this guy rigged up and imported into the game??

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Old Ganon artwork discovered from a 1993/1994 Nintendo Character Reference Guide.

Looks great. It might be one of my favourite artworks of him. I think I'll make a roster icon from it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom