• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If Chorus Men and Ice Climbers are DLC, I think it's safe to assume that even Chorus Men are having technical problems too. Were still getting the RH character, I'm still happy!

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
If Chorus Men and Ice Climbers are DLC, I think it's safe to assume that even Chorus Men are having technical problems too. Were still getting the RH character, I'm still happy!
I suppose that would make sense.. My only wonder is the fact that a newcomer would be DLC, and a completely new series representation at that. Taking online tournaments/For Glory into account, how would it be fair for any of the aforementioned DLC characters to be playable for someone who purchased the character, while someone else couldn't? I could see this happening for DLC clones, as they're similar to other characters anyway, but if I want to enter IRL tournaments and my main is a unique character that is only playable on a Wii U that purchased the character, (assuming it's not free DLC) that bugs me a bit.

Regardless, if the leak is indeed true (not exactly leaning towards that being the case just yet) then I'm certainly thankful the Chorus Kids are playable in some form. :)

Themagnificentmoldy

Smash Apprentice
I suppose that would make sense.. My only wonder is the fact that a newcomer would be DLC, and a completely new series representation at that. Taking online tournaments/For Glory into account, how would it be fair for any of the aforementioned DLC characters to be playable for someone who purchased the character, while someone else couldn't? I could see this happening for DLC clones, as they're similar to other characters anyway, but if I want to enter IRL tournaments and my main is a unique character that is only playable on a Wii U that purchased the character, (assuming it's not free DLC) that bugs me a bit.

Regardless, if the leak is indeed true (not exactly leaning towards that being the case just yet) then I'm certainly thankful the Chorus Kids are playable in some form. :)
I'm assuming it'd be free dlc if this Ice Climbers theory is true. They'd be in the game at the start if they weren't so much trouble so why would they need to be paid for?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
I'm assuming it'd be free dlc if this Ice Climbers theory is true. They'd be in the game at the start if they weren't so much trouble so why would they need to be paid for?
I'd like to hope so. The fact that $10 Amiibos and Mario Golf: World Tour paid DLC exist worries me that they might take that route.. It's not paying for the characters the bothers me, it's more so the inconsistencies it would create for a game like Smash.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
No, there aren't any source for these icons. They're all original.

That said, it doesn't really mean it's real.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
You must be kidding. that Wario is from his E3 trailer from 2006
This is exactly what I thought, but I couldn't find any frame with his mouth open like that.. Also, Jigglypuff sorta reminds me of the official artwork touched up a bit:

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
So, I have a question for my fellow Chorus Kid supporters:
Is the general consensus that, because of the recent roster leak, things are looking grim for the Chorus Kid's chances?
Or do you all mostly still have hope for their inclusion?

Personally I think that, despite the fact that they are not present on the leaked roster, they will be playable. After all, we still have Gematsu, and the Sneaky Spirit. So I am fairly confident that they will be in.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Is the general consensus that, because of the recent roster leak, things are looking grim for the Chorus Kid's chances?

Personally I think that, despite the fact that they are not present on the leaked roster, they will be playable. After all, we still have Gematsu, and the Sneaky Spirit. So I am fairly confident that they will be in.
Apparently the DLC list of this new leak is fake. I don't know what to think about it anymore, I'm just tired of speculation. However I'm still optimistic about the Kids and I want them 100% in, just as ever.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

Honestly, since there has been a drought of information pertaining to the Chorus Kids, or Rhythm Heaven at all for that matter, there's really nothing to better to discuss in regards to them making it in; that's why we're on that topic. Oh, and if you didn't know, the leak mentions them getting in as DLC, so if anything their odds have increased despite the credibility of the leak being debatable.

To answer your question: I personally am incredibly confident they'll be getting in regardless, and I'm glad to see more people who feel the same way.

Edit:
Apparently the DLC list of this new leak is fake. I don't know what to think about it anymore, I'm just tired of speculation. However I'm still optimistic about the Kids and I want them 100% in, just as ever.
Wait, really? This is news to me.. Wasn't the DLC list confirmed by mods to be from the same person as the initial leaker?

Last edited:

Chorus_Men

Smash Rookie
I don't want to be off topic- but I'm still talking about the leak. All the characters don't have their names under there icons. They should be. The characters should be lined up with their series, But instead are scattered around.

Dark pit is just the pit art worked flipped and photoshopped to have black hair. Honestly, I don't think anything about this leak looks real, other than having decent looking artwork.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I don't want to be off topic- but I'm still talking about the leak. All the characters don't have their names under there icons. They should be. The characters should be lined up with their series, But instead are scattered around.

Dark pit is just the pit art worked flipped and photoshopped to have black hair. Honestly, I don't think anything about this leak looks real, other than having decent looking artwork.
Dark Pit doesn't look similar to the Pit art, and nothing about the first two points are necessary for it to be true.
If you stay neutral you can never be proven wrong.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
So I browsed through the leak thread and I wanted to leave my two cents here before I head to bed-

Even if the leak is true, the same source stated that he hadn't unlocked all the characters. To my knowledge, this hasn't been confirmed to be from a different source as the DLC list apparently was. This is very evident with the roster visual-wise, as a lot of the characters are oddly placed and could easily be rounded out with, at most, 5 more characters. (this has been the case with previous games, such as Pikachu being placed in between Mario and the rest of the Mario reps until certain characters are unlocked in the Melee roster) With all this is mind, the Kids are definitely not ruled out just yet if it turns out to be true.

But above all, what really sells it for me is a combination of Gematsu and the Sneaky Spirit; there absolutely no way a supposed leaker would be able to simply guess Chorus Kids prior to the confirmation of a Rhythm Heaven enemy in Smash Run. It's no coincidence.

All in all, I don't want anyone to give up hope regardless of any leaks. With all the evidence presented to us, I'm strongly confident that the Chorus Kids are in, and we will know for sure in due time.. 22 days remain until...

chronomantic

Smash Ace
Where was this? I've missed this development D:
Honestly I don't even know anymore. Supposedly some mods are in some weird leak cult where they can't reveal stuff and they've contacted the leakers and are sure the DLC list is fake and yet there are other people saying this is false :dizzy:
I can't keep up with that thread.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion

You see, it's reasons like these and then some for why I am against DLC characters. Characters are self-realized, fully-balanced movesets that take time and resources to weave into the game. Over the course of the game's lifespan, depending on how many characters are released, a sort of 'paywall' (assuming they aren't free) for obtaining all characters is built. There would be a plateau to accommodate the total cost of all characters. As a consumer, constantly adding funds into my eShop account for all characters is a strenuous effort. I would rather have those characters, especially someone new like the Chorus Men, unlockable within the game.

Oh, and for those who say "But you don't have to pay for the ones you don't want.", that won't change the fact that these are publicly-aware, ready-for-download characters that will remain with the fandom forever. You wouldn't want the characters you don't like or even cringe over, right? Just seeing a character you don't have through online play would nullify any attempts to avoid them through the game.

About those alleged leak develops, so the DLC character list turned out fake whilst there was some tidbit about not all characters being unlocked (gives more credence to the '?' on Mewtwo and possibly more newcomers)? Am I understanding this right?

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
You see, it's reasons like these and then some for why I am against DLC characters. Characters are self-realized, fully-balanced movesets that take time and resources to weave into the game. Over the course of the game's lifespan, depending on how many characters are released, a sort of 'paywall' (assuming they aren't free) for obtaining all characters is built. There would be a plateau to accommodate the total cost of all characters. As a consumer, constantly adding funds into my eShop account for all characters is a strenuous effort. I would rather have those characters, especially someone new like the Chorus Men, unlockable within the game.

Oh, and for those who say "But you don't have to pay for the ones you don't want.", that won't change the fact that these are publicly-aware, ready-for-download characters that will remain with the fandom forever. You wouldn't want the characters you don't like or even cringe over, right? Just seeing a character you don't have through online play would nullify any attempts to avoid them through the game.
My thoughts EXACTLY, especially the bit about balancing and the paywall. Personally, the only way I think DLC characters would be acceptable is to just have exact clones/alternate costumes, otherwise the balance and consistency would be horribly skewed, creating situations like not being able to play your main at tournaments or complaints about someone having an unfair edge. It would keep the game fresh without posing any of those issues. Overall, I can't see Sakurai/Nintendo doing something like that, given their nature. (I'd like to hope not, at least)

About those alleged leak develops, so the DLC character list turned out fake whilst there was some tidbit about not all characters being unlocked (gives more credence to the '?' on Mewtwo and possibly more newcomers)? Am I understanding this right?
Yep. Well, not necessarily fake, the list was just from a different source. The Chorus Kids are still fair game in the roster leak.

Last edited:

Banana Waffle Deed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sapsiper
3DS FC
1263-6961-7801
I just realized the Gematsu leak said the characters would be in the game, not be playable. We know Chrom won't be a playable character because he is Robin's final smash. Chorus kids might just be an assist trophy, even though I hope they turn out being playable.
You're right, the leak stated that the characters were "set to appear" in the game, they didn't state that they were all newcomers. That's why the leaker said "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y" after Greninja was confirmed, they were just stating appearances of other pokemon besides Greninja. So why did everyone claim it was fake if it predicted Chrom was going to be in the game somehow?

Seriously? Those videos were debunked a long time ago! The 2D design of the Balloon Fight stage would be really easy to replicate believably with that Choir Kid render. That trailer just reused footage from several Smash 3DS videos, with the Choir Kid being swapped over one of the fighters (case in point, the Rainbow Road clip is taken from the Smash Direct.) Neither have the Choir Kid render properly baked into the game, as it's to light aside from the rest of the assets.

If that was a joke, I'm going way too ahead of myself. :p

With today's leak of the potential final roster, the last bit about the Chorus Kids being planned as DLC gives me hope that their dream is still realized, even with this leak backing up the most credible, new leak (Ninka/Vaanrose). Ultimately, I just hope they are officially confirmed by Sakurai to get this mess over with.
I hope there's some reveal soon, I feel like it's been too long without a newcomer (especially when they're nearing the release in Japan). The biggest worry I have with Chorus Kids is that if they're de-confirmed, I don't know if they'll have a chance at the time of smash 5.

Last edited:

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
You're right, the leak stated that the characters were "set to appear" in the game, they didn't state that they were all newcomers. That's why the leaker said "Pokemon from Pokemon X and Y" after Greninja was confirmed, they were just stating appearances of other pokemon besides Greninja. So why did everyone claim it was fake if it predicted Chrom was going to be in the game somehow?
I honestly don't think he was trying to create a loophole with that wording, he definitely meant they would all be playable. The reasoning behind him stating "Pokemon from X and Y" was likely in reference to the XY placeholder slot Sakurai had planned before the decision of Greninja was finalized. If this is the case, that would mean he acquired the information in a time frame somewhat early in development, hence why he also reported that Chrom would be playable, as Sakurai stated he was considered to be playable early on.

Gematsu is, without a doubt, true. That said, it's outdated information obtained very early on, so it's just not as reliable.

also anyone who could possibly guess wii fit trainer needs to enter the freakin' lottery

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I have refreshed myself on the Potential Roster/Unknown Renders leak. Pretty exciting, worrying stuff there.

If the next revealed character is on the CSS image and the renders not matching is the highest chance of killing this leak.

Ganonthegreat

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ganonthegreat
3DS FC
3780-9005-2627
Another hit for Chorus Men, the list of 3DS composers has been released and neither TSUNKU or Masami Yone are featured. Given the nature of Rhythm Heaven if Chorus Men were in I'd expect at least TSUNKU.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Another hit for Chorus Men, the list of 3DS composers has been released and neither TSUNKU or Masami Yone are featured. Given the nature of Rhythm Heaven if Chorus Men were in I'd expect at least TSUNKU.
doesnt mean music from the games wont be featured it just means the people who made the music wont be contributing any tracks featured on the 3ds version

KimmotMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kimmotman
3DS FC
3780-9150-0743
doesnt mean music from the games wont be featured it just means the people who made the music wont be contributing any tracks featured on the 3ds version
Exactly, and these composers are most likely to arrange the many songs from various Nintendo franchises. Just like they did in Brawl.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I suppose that would make sense.. My only wonder is the fact that a newcomer would be DLC, and a completely new series representation at that. Taking online tournaments/For Glory into account, how would it be fair for any of the aforementioned DLC characters to be playable for someone who purchased the character, while someone else couldn't?
Because if you are a competitor, it is your job to make sure you have the resources to compete.
A soccer player does not bemoan for someone else to give him a free ball, cleats, shin guards, jersey, court acccess.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Because if you are a competitor, it is your job to make sure you have the resources to compete.
A soccer player does not bemoan for someone else to give him a free ball, cleats, shin guards, jersey, court acccess.
In soccer, those supplies are all mandatory and standard. With a game like Smash, a player or tournament organizer shouldn't have to be obligated to have bought all of the additional content to maintain fairness; fairness and possession of "resources" should be bought upon buying the game. Otherwise, a very inconsistent and argument-sparking paywall would spawn.. every tournament would have to be responsible for buying DLC. (and who knows how much that would add up to) I should be able to just pop in my Smash 4 disc and have the liberty to commence a fair match, as I bought the game.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
To be fair TSUNKU isn't exactly a video game composer. He only worked on Rhythm Heaven, actually.

I'd be more surprised if he got in than not actually. At least we know Rhythm Heaven content is there.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
To be fair TSUNKU isn't exactly a video game composer. He only worked on Rhythm Heaven, actually.

I'd be more surprised if he got in than not actually. At least we know Rhythm Heaven content is there.
Well Tsunku makes the most sense, but he is ill as well and he runs his own company so he can be busy/taking time off for his health as he should be.

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
In soccer, those supplies are all mandatory and standard. With a game like Smash, a player or tournament organizer shouldn't have to be obligated to have bought all of the additional content to maintain fairness; fairness and possession of "resources" should be bought upon buying the game. Otherwise, a very inconsistent and argument-sparking paywall would spawn.. every tournament would have to be responsible for buying DLC. (and who knows how much that would add up to) I should be able to just pop in my Smash 4 disc and have the liberty to commence a fair match, as I bought the game.
All of your same arguements could be made against unlockable characters. DLC is no more wrong than having to unlock stuff.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Well Tsunku makes the most sense, but he is ill as well and he runs his own company so he can be busy/taking time off for his health as he should be.
Oh, that's true. I completely forgot he was diagnosed with Laryngeal Cancer.

Hoping for the best.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Oh, that's true. I completely forgot he was diagnosed with Laryngeal Cancer..
Oh man, I had no idea.. :( He certainly has my prayers, that man has given us some amazing work..

In regards to the composer list: I think the list on the website, judging by the way it's phrased, is just indicating the composers who are composing/remixing/arranging specifically for Smash 4, while the credits for ported songs could be mentioned ingame. Tsunku doesn't have to be working on the music for Smash for Rhythm Heaven themes to be in, and I don't see why they'd have any reason to credit him on the website for creating the original songs. (looking back at the Brawl Dojo composer list, I didn't see any composers that were there solely for creating the original piece of music) Even if only ported RH themes get in, he wouldn't be on the website anyway.

Basically, I think "Musicians of Nintendo 3DS version" implies that it's a list of current composers, rather than a credits list. (which would be saved for the game)

EDIT: This is definitely true, since even Koji Kondo (composer of most Mario and Zelda music) isn't on the list yet music of his has already been confirmed to appear in the game.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
That legitimately makes absolutely no sense.
It makes no sense for all people playing a smash competition to have all of the characters?
It is not a paywall. If you want to compete, you invest to compete. It is absolutely no different.
Going back to my soccer analogy, you would not call it a paywall to compete against someone with nicer cleats that can dig into the ground better someone. That is absurd and illogical.
How much would it add up to? You'd only need to buy the characters, and how much would characters be? Probably not more than 5 dollars each, since in fighting games they never really are. That is not at all much to ask for.

As for popping in the game and playing a match- it is. No one would have any hours practicing anyway, and that is completely fair with whatever is on the disc anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
As stated, I too think that it's just for original compositions, and not ported music. Because let's face it...Rhythm Heaven music is perfect as is. :awesome:

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Some remixes would be rad though.

I hope the series, in the very least, gets a stage. And I'm crying if the Sneaky Spirit is all we get.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
That legitimately makes absolutely no sense.
It makes no sense for all people playing a smash competition to have all of the characters?
It is not a paywall. If you want to compete, you invest to compete. It is absolutely no different.
Going back to my soccer analogy, you would not call it a paywall to compete against someone with nicer cleats that can dig into the ground better someone. That is absurd and illogical.
How much would it add up to? You'd only need to buy the characters, and how much would characters be? Probably not more than 5 dollars each, since in fighting games they never really are. That is not at all much to ask for.

As for popping in the game and playing a match- it is. No one would have any hours practicing anyway, and that is completely fair with whatever is on the disc anyway.
My apologies, I should've been more specific when I was referring to on and offline matches. I'm trying to get across that, with online matches/tournaments (this is also the context I meant when I said popping in the game), I feel that it is unfair for everyone to be obligated to "invest" in all the characters in order to have an even and balanced playing field. For example sake, let's pretend Metaknight was the sole DLC character in Brawl. He has such an advantage over the rest of the cast that anyone who hasn't bought him is essentially at a disadvantage, to the point where they're obligated to buy him. Likewise, the reason I don't think you can compare soccer to Smash is because, in Smash, everyone is presented with the same supplies (the roster) after buying the game, where as in real life the referees don't supply both soccer teams with the same gear; it's up to the athlete and individual teams to buy their own supplies. You're telling me Smash should be like that in order to compete? It would be good design to be required to invest money in order to gain an edge? That makes no sense. It's never been that way; everyone should be presented with the same content on the disc when playing online and the only real "investment" should be time put into practicing. (bolded because I can't stress this point enough)

Overall, it isn't as much as how much the DLC would cost- it's more so the concept of having to pay extra in a competitive video game to qualify for an even playing field, and likewise, the ability to buy a completely exclusive and potentially advantage-granting character to use in competition. Smash Bros. ain't no free-to-play pay-to-win MMO.

Now, as for offline tourneys and matches- I feel like it would mostly affect tournament organizers. They would all be responsible for purchasing all of the DLC and everything just gets.. messy and inconsistent. Say I attend a local tournament and want to play as my main, Chorus Kids, which happens to be DLC and the TO hasn't purchased the character. If all the characters were on the disc to begin with, situations and disputes like that wouldn't be spawned. My main problem with DLC pertaining to offline is that inconsistency.

Whew.. Sorry for those walls of text.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Having no Rhythm Heaven content aside from the Sneaky Spirit would be just.. odd, especially since Smash Run enemies are suppose to be, well, enemies of the characters.. I think we'll AT LEAST get music, otherwise the Sneaky Spirit would be completely random and irrelevant to anything in the game.

Also, I really wanna fight with this song in the background:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I could deal with not getting a Rhythm Heaven character but not even Sakurai is cruel enough to not add Rhythm Heaven music.

...Right?

Last edited:

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Would've rather had Marshal, but I'll take whoever, as long as there's a Rhythm Heaven rep. And who knows, maybe the chorus men would still use other characters and different minigames from the Rhythm Heaven series for their attacks. And being grouped in three certainly makes sense for rhythm based attacks too (like the monkey claps, for instance). But I do hope that it isn't like Ice Climbers where there's just multiple of the same character running about, I hope it's more of an altogether sort of deal, that you're actually controlling all three at once, so they could use combo moves together.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I prefer Rhythm Girl (I'm biased, I know) and held a heavy grudge against these guys because they weren't wanted prior to the leak... as we near closer to release I honestly don't care who gets in anymore along as someone from Rhythm Heaven makes the cut... But hey Rhythm Girl would sweeten the deal for me... even a stage would be nice...

Top Bottom