• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chorus Kids for Smash Bros. DLC! ~ Lend your Song of Support in the Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot! ~

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936

Video created by @KimmotMan. Awesome job!​

Ah, Rhythm Heaven, such a fun and unique Nintendo franchise. It's certainly grown since Brawl's release, becoming a very popular franchise and even surpassing currently represented franchises such as Mother and Kid Icarus in game count. But has it done enough to warrant a character? Well, three heroes have currently emerged, achieving popularity in part due to a certain leak. These three are...

THE CHORUS KIDS

WHO THE HECK ARE THESE STRANGE, ALBEIT CUTE, BOW-TIE WEARING CREATURES?
The Chorus Kids are a trio of choir singers from one of the most well known minigames in the Rhythm Heaven franchise, Glee Club. In the game, the player takes control of the third chorus member and is tasked with singing in rhythm with the other two Chorus Kids to a jazzy tune. Sounds simple in concept, right? Give it a watch.

WHAT WOULD THE CHORUS KIDS OFFER TO SMASH?
As the Rhythm Heaven series is entirely based on keeping the beat to succeed, the Chorus Kids would take this into account with their moveset. A unique rhythm-based character would definitely be a first for Smash Bros. franchise and isn't an incredibly farfetched concept considering Marth's side special, Dancing Blade, requires you to keep a steady beat of the B button to fully execute. The Chorus Kids could easily utilize objects from the many wacky minigames in Rhythm Heaven in a similar fashion to Mr. Game and Watch to convey such a moveset.

WHAT MAKES THE CHORUS KIDS THE BEST RHYTHM HEAVEN REPRESENTATIVE?
When thinking of Rhythm Heaven, there are a handful of recognizable characters that come to mind; Karate Joe, the Wrestler, the Rhythm Girl. The Chorus Kids are among these faces of the series with their popularity and usage in Rhythm Heaven media, which alone puts them in a good position to represent it. But what sets them apart from these other iconic characters?

Popularity aside, another large factor in becoming a character in Smash Bros. is the ability to effectively portray the character's series, and the Chorus Kids do just that. Visually, the Chorus Kids are a great neutral looking character that wouldn't look out of place pulling out any of the random objects from the series for their moveset, be it a tambourine, a badminton racket, or a miniature rocket ship. They also have the trio aspect going for them, which would allow for some creative ways to implement rhythm-based attacks and the ability to base certain moves on the trio/group minigames throughout the series such as Clappy Trio and Tap Troupe.

Potential Movesets
If you have an absolutely ingenious moveset for the Chorus Kids you're dying to share, drop by and request for it to be posted!

Up-B - See-Saw: Upon activating the move, a see-saw appears beneath the Chorus Kids and the two back Kids imitate the "ee-ooh" sound from See-Saw then jump up. Right as they land, pressing B again in rhythm enables the main Kid to launch even higher; he should imitate the "uh-oom" sound if timed correctly. At the peak of the jump, the see-saw disappears in a puff of smoke and the other two Chorus Kids appear next to the main one. (this move also grants superarmor so it can't be interrupted)

Side-B - Karate Man: This move has relatively quick startup time, instantly making the sound effect of a thrown pot from Karate Man as a pot is hurled towards the front Chorus Kid. If you successfully time your punch, it gets launched a moderate distance and a second pot is thrown at the second Kid. If you successfully time this punch, a rock will be thrown at the third kid, which when launched, deals great damage and good knockback. This move would be similar to Marth's Dancing Blade, since if you mess up the rhythm you won't be able to fully execute the three projectiles.

Neutral-B - Glee Club: This special would function virtually identical to the minigame from Rhythm Heaven DS; once activated, B would need to be held to keep the main Chorus Kid's yap closed. The first two Kids would let out their "AAH"s in rhythm like at this point in the video, then releasing B with perfect timing for the third AAH would cause their harmonious yelp to increase in loudness, creating a much larger hitbox radius that extends out pretty far in front and behind the singers. This move would have very high knockback if your timing is perfect, making for quite the appropriate finisher move for the Chorus Kids if used strategically or for edgeguarding.

Fan Art Section
Wanna express your love for the Chorus Kids and Rhythm Heaven? Share some art!

By Jigglystep

By Jigglystep

By Jigglystep

By Jigglystep

By pikmin789

By Jigglystep

By Tubartist

Arguments
Common arguments against the inclusion of the Chorus Kids. Some of them are outdated.
WHO? THE CHORUS KIDS? UGH, ANOTHER POINTLESS SUPPORT THREAD.
Oh, contraire. The Chorus Kids are notable characters from Rhythm Heaven, starring in a minigame called Glee Club. Although it's simply one minigame among many, the Chorus Men and Glee Club have become recognizable through the web, spawning multiple parodies. The character Marshal in Rhythm Heaven Fever is said to be inspired by the cute little singers.

ALRIGHT, SO WHY DO THEY DESERVE TO BE IN SMASH BROS?
There are many reasons why these guys can warrant a slot among Nintendo's best. Rhythm Heaven is quite a popular franchise, so it's certainly not out of the question for the series to receive a character (in this case, characters). There are other characters that can fit this role (Karate Joe, Marshal, Wrestler), but The Chorus Kids concept is quite intriguing. Using rhythm based attacks, the threesome can hit the opponents with killer high notes unlike anything we've ever seen or heard in Smash Bros thus far. Not to mention that the characters are somewhat memetic, and are recognizable and popular not by name, but by design.

MARSHALL IS THE MAIN CHARACTER, WHY PICK THE CHORUS KIDS?
This is actually a misconception. Marshall has only appeared in one of the Rhythm Heaven games (Fever on the Wii). While he appears as the mascot in that game, it's still only one of the three games. Even then, many misidentify Marshall as one of the Chorus Kids. Marshall, however, does not have the bowtie, has permanent blush, and has a differently-shaped head. Probably the most evident difference is that the Chorus Kids lack fingers, while Marshall has them.

But why them over Marshall in particular? Well, the Chorus Kids are arguably a better representation of what Rhythm Heaven is all about. With three characters, keeping rhythm would be essential. There's also the fact that many minigames in the series involve group cohesion, which the Chorus Kids would express effortlessly.

GEMATSU WAS WRONG. THE CHORUS KIDS ARE OUT!
Easy there, Eager McBeaver. The leak has shown evidence of not being wrong, but simply outdated. Comparable to the X and Y leak, really. Some information (ie, everything that went wrong on July 14th) was wrong, but it may have been gathered from a very early development stage. Hence why "X and Y Pokemon" wasn't decided on, or why Chrom was passed up for Robin. After all, getting everything else right, including naming the Mii Fighters and leaking the Wii Fit Trainer, is highly improbable to be mere guesswork. So no, the Chorus Kids are most definitely not out of the running.

BUT NOW THEY'RE NOT IN THE CSS LEAK! HAHA! LOOKS LIKE THEY'RE NOT IN, AFTER ALL!
While it certainly doesn't help that they weren't leaked in the CSS, it doesn't necessarily harm them either. All-Star is still locked, meaning there's at least one other character yet to be unlocked. The Chorus Kids could easily be a late unlockable, with a Rhythm Heaven Stage filling the "final stage slot," so to speak.

BUT THE ICE CLIMBERS LOOK TO BE CUT! IF THEY HAD TROUBLE, WHY WOULD THEY ADD A TRIO? HMMM?
It's simple, really. They wouldn't act like the Climbers. Instead, they'd share one hurtbox. They would move only in tandem with each other, unable to separate. However, with how their attacks would work, the hitboxes would deceptively make it look as though all three are rhythmically doing their own attack. This completely mitigates the "Ice limbers issue."

NO RHYTHM HEAVEN COMPOSERS ARE LISTED IN THE BIG LIST OF COMPOSERS. SINCE IT'S A MUSICAL FRANCHISE, THIS MEANS THEY'RE OUT! OBVIOUSLY!
This takes only a really simple explanation. The list was only of composers for new music, not ported music. Notice the lack of Koji Kondo. Perhaps the Rhythm Heaven music was seen as too perfect to tamper with, and as such, it's all ported. This isn't a confirmation or disconfirmation one way or another.

HAH! I, THE STRAWMAN DETRACTOR, AM BACK! AND LOOK! THEY'RE NOT IN AFTER ALL!
A brilliant observation, Mr. Strawman. But you're forgetting: Mewtwo means that DLC is possible now. They likely either ran out of time, or there was a technical issue, but now is the prime time to re-add them. After all, it is highly likely that Gematsu was correct, but outdated. Add in the fact that barring the Polar Bear, which is easily explained, the Sneaky Spirit is the only enemy in Smash Run to be from a series without a playable character, and there's quite the reason to believe the Kids were at least planned at some point. What better time to fulfill that plan than now?

SUPPORT

SUPPORT

SUPPORT

(TOGETHER NOW)

SUPPORT

THE CHOIR:

4cast
8-bit man
8-peacock-8
Aguki90
andimidna
Angelglory
Ariand/AEM
Asian_Charizard
Bandana Waffle Dee
Banjodorf
BigAxle
BluePikmin11
Brad-Rock
Brickbuild101
Captain Hotcakes
cephalopod17
Chandelure
Chris Baker
Chromvoy
chronomantic
Cobalsh
colder_than_ice
colorful-carbonyl
Con0rrrr
CroonerMike
CyanideOxide
Duke Napoleon
Edlocke
FancysaurusRex
FinalStarmen
FirstBlade
fogbadge
Gilius Thunderhead
Glaciacott
GM_3826
Headcrab Jackalope
Hippopotasauce
Hong
hotcrumpets
Hyperslash
ihskeyp
ItsMeBrandon
Jigglystep
JimmyTheCaterpillar
JonathanACE
Keybladeguy
KingofPhantoms47
Koji Boon
Laniv
LeeYawshee
LegendaryFish
Louie G.
Luigifan141
Luugyhero12
Maraphy
MaskO'Gears
Mega Bidoof
MetalMario128
Mr.Seven
N3ON
Opossum
Pacack
PixelPasta
Proton
R.O.B.
RamenSploosh
Rasumii
Reila
Robertman2
Rosalina
RouffWestie
Sahfarry
shrooby
Smallgenie549
Smashlover777
Smashoperatingbuddy123
SmashRiver64
smashkirby
SomewhatMystia
Spinosaurus
SS-bros14
StaffofSmashing
Starmarxman
Strider_Bond00J
SuperBrawler
SuperLittleTY
SuperLuigiTheIntalian
Super Smash Bros. Fan
Swampasaur
TaichiYaegashi
TCT-Phantom
TempahRelapse
Tepig2000
ThatWasPeachy
Thegamerguy131
Themagnificentmoldy
The Real Gamer
TheSmasher916
Tides
TORNADO BUS DRIVER
Tr1pleDee
TumblrFamous
ultimatekoopa
Vegito2727
Wanderer from Roseyard
Weeginji
Wintropy
WVdUde
Xavier :D
Xenoblaze
YoshiandToad
Young Horsetail
youngsora1
zoroarkrules25
Zzuxon

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The more I think of the concept of a Rhythm Heaven character, the more it makes sense to me. They could have a Rhythm based moveset that requires good timing to pull off good combos.

I can see it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Did you really want the Chorus Men in Smash BEFORE you heard about the leak?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
The leak showed me the light.
It got me back into Rhythm Heaven and really made me interested in how the characters could work.
Smash is lacking a rhythm based moveset and Rhythm Heaven is notable enough to warrant a rep.
So you're going to get all the glory early when they are confirmed huh. :troll:
That's the plan. :p

Last edited:

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
My knowledge of Rhythm Heaven is shaky, in all honesty I would've preferred the Reporter because I thought A). she was the main voice of Rhythm Heaven Fever and B). she appeared in more than one event. While her moveset would share some similarities to those proposed in the Rhythm Girl and Marshal thread, I always envisioned her to not only perform attacks based on the rhythm mini-games, but to also shout out some phrases while attacking such as, "One, two three. Ready? And tap tap tap!"

But unfortunately neither of these are the case as I believe the voice actress for Reporter and the main voice actress is different, and there are many girls in Rhythm Heaven that have similar appearances to Reporter but are not the same character. Oh well. A rhythm-based moveset would certainly be something to enjoy, Chorus Men could definitely deliver.

I actually showed my friend a picture of Chorus Men asking what he thought of them as a potential newcomer. His first reaction was:

What are those things.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
"Sonic needs more representation."
:troll:

Alright, this was a little uncalled for. But don't just shoot someone's idea down unless you have backup or you've listened to what they have to say, okay @ Jason the Yoshi Jason the Yoshi ?
I wasn't trying to be offensive or anything, I like what you're trying to do here, I just don't see it happening. Sorry if it sounded rude

Groose

Smash Champion
I just wanted to toss this out here--the leak is rather ambiguous when it says, "Chorus Men." It implies that there will be multiple of them under the same banner in an Ice Climbers-type slot, but I think it's so unclear that it could just be referring to "one of" the "Chorus Men." Heck, if the leaker is an outsider to the series, he could be confusing Marshal for one of the Chorus Men; I've made the same mistake.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just wanted to toss this out here--the leak is rather ambiguous when it says, "Chorus Men." It implies that there will be multiple of them under the same banner in an Ice Climbers-type slot, but I think it's so unclear that it could just be referring to "one of" the "Chorus Men." Heck, if the leaker is an outsider to the series, he could be confusing Marshal for one of the Chorus Men; I've made the same mistake.
This is definitely true. I think that it could have meant Marshal or one of the Chorus Men too.
I'll admit, I'm a bit skeptical of Sakurai adding another partner character, let alone a trio.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Even if it turns out to be untrue, or just Marshal, the concept of a rhythm-based character is fascinating. I could actually see Sakurai trying to create both a rhythm-based character and a trio character at once though, so I'm really interested to see this through if it's true.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
This is definitely true. I think that it could have meant Marshal or one of the Chorus Men too.
I'll admit, I'm a bit skeptical of Sakurai adding another partner character, let alone a trio.
If it is indeed a trio, it will probably function as a single unit and not separate entities gameplay wise. However, they will attack in sync to emphasis the rhythm aspects. Maybe actually reference the game Glee Club where the last member isn't always in sync and you can make him preform another option as potent mix up potential, or follow the others and gain a power boost from it.

Example

Member 1: Up tilt
Member 2: Will preform the up tilt like member 1.
Member 3: Can use another action entirely or use the same one to get a power boost.

Depending on how you do it, you can create some rather devious combo capabilities.

chronomantic

Smash Ace
What difference would it make anyway?

I first heard about the series through that leak and I love the idea of Chorus Kids as potential characters. Sounds interesting, creative, original etc. I support.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The R.O.B. of SSB4. Pac-Man, Mii and Chorus Men should happen at E3 together just for the lulz that would ensure.

Also, this must be part of the game.
Well no, but then again, who honestly expected Chorus Men to show up?

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Support!

I can see Sakurai adding a Rhythm-based character, and Rhythm Heaven is Nintendo's most well known Rhythm IP (even though it, Band Bros. and EBA are all pretty obscure).

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I've considered it a possibility before since they're on the cover of the DS game in all regions and are the second minigame introduced, but passed it off since they're not very important within the series. I'm fine with them as much as any other RH character though.

Only thing is, I still don't think the leak is legitimate.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
So you're going to get all the glory early when they are confirmed huh. :troll:
How dare you insult FirstBlade.
I support.
Nah, I'm going to make myself the owner of the thread when that happens. :troll:

I sure didn't, and I'm still iffy, but if we get three cute little guys in bow-ties attacking in rhythmic fashion tbh I'd be hard-pressed to complain.

andimidna

Smash Master
Put me on the supporters list.
I'm not sure if I actually want him/them yet...
But... I just want to be right.
So... yea, they're cute and stuff.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
Isn't this technically Marshal?
Sort of in a way, but not really. Marshal's design is inspired by the Chorus Kids, but he didn't appear until Rhythm Heaven Fever while these guys were in the DS Rhythm Heaven. Also there's three of them and they have bowties but those are minute differences.

KCCHIEFS27

Smash Lord
The more I think of the concept of a Rhythm Heaven character, the more it makes sense to me. They could have a Rhythm based moveset that requires good timing to pull off good combos.

I can see it.
As opposed to having combos that do not require good timing

D

Deleted member

If it is indeed a trio, it will probably function as a single unit and not separate entities gameplay wise. However, they will attack in sync to emphasis the rhythm aspects. Maybe actually reference the game Glee Club where the last member isn't always in sync and you can make him preform another option as potent mix up potential, or follow the others and gain a power boost from it.

Example

Member 1: Up tilt
Member 2: Will preform the up tilt like member 1.
Member 3: Can use another action entirely or use the same one to get a power boost.

Depending on how you do it, you can create some rather devious combo capabilities.
You put into words what I had in my head yet couldn't think of how to write.
I salute you.

....but I'd still much rather have Wrestler.

Isn't this technically Marshal?

Accf124

Smash Journeyman
I'm ok with the idea of a rhythm heaven rep, but couldn't have been another one? I'm not too familiar with the series so I'm not sure about what other character it could be. But I just don't like the idea of the chorus men getting in.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
/EveryFightingGameCharacterEver

I have no doubt the character would be unique, but I thought we already had our WTF character.

Morbi

Scavenger
I am not going to lie, I would be disappointed if "Chorus Men" were selected over someone like Wrestler; I would honestly prefer Marshal, just because he has a name.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
What does Chorus "Men" even mean? It's going to be more than one? Like Ice Climbers?
Or there will be alt costumes based on other Chorus Men, similar to the Wii Fit Trainers?

Morbi

Scavenger
Pffftt.........(-_-)
RealTalk...........
That is the way speculation works; I suppose. Realistically though, I interpret "Chorus Men" as Joker Thug A, Joker Thug B, and Joker Thug C with the possibility of getting "Named Joker Thug."

The prospect is not entirely exciting.

Last edited:

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
I'm rather curious. Why them in particular? Just because they appeared on the DS version's boxart?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
@ Morbi Morbi LmAooooo we havent even seen the publics reaction to Chorus men.......ow my....im laughing so hard....its as funny as it is wrong...but i cant stop laughing.....atleast we did predict some things right about this game one being WFT was just the beginning lmaoooo.....ow my....

Has these guys got anything coming up this year that could tie into a reveal for them like new game or?

EDIT: Reguarding your status im happy for you and proud! Just hope you are right about one more thing one...BiG thing.............

(plz)

Last edited:

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I have no doubt the character would be unique, but I thought we already had our WTF character.
Well who says there has to be one? I mean Wario had a "weird" moveset (he farts ffs) and represents his series of microgames, why can't we have a rep for another popular microgame series?

D

Deleted member

I am not going to lie, I would be disappointed if "Chorus Men" were selected over someone like Wrestler; I would honestly prefer Marshal, just because he has a name.
I'm confused. You would be disappointed if they were in instead of Wrestler (which I applaud since I'm in the same boat), but prefer Marshal over them because he doesn't have a simplistic name like most of the RH cast?
Does that mean you'd prefer Marshal over Wrestler?

Top Bottom