• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Characters as Alt. Costumes for Other Characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well, there was lot of debate if other characters should be added as alternative costumes for others.
Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, Robin... all of them have the gender swap option, but them, it happened... Lucina was planned for a Marth costume.

Here are Sakurai's words:

"However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!"

But moving on my real focus...

Characters can have different characters as alts costumes this time? This could be good/bad thing depending of the point of view.

Still, I made this thread to see people's ideas, to see which character should make senses being another, I want to see some intelligent debate here.

Try to not make flame wars or attacking other members directly, I don't want this thread to be closed...

And remember: this is NOT FOR DISCUSSING possible alt. costumes, only discussing OTHER CHARACTERS that can be alts. Because there are already so many of alt. threads. This is why the mods accepted this to be made.

Last edited:

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Since people love Roy and Ike replaced him and they share they same moves, Roy for Ike. Docter Mario for normal Mario, same with Luigi. Dry Bowser. Various art styles for Link and Zelda(Zelda has no Sheik in TP, but she has it in Brawl, so they can maybe come up with on for SS Zelda). AND NOT THE CHEAP KNOCK-OFF OF LINKS SS COSTUME! Pajama Toon Link, Child Link and Conducter Toon LInk for Toon Link. Evil Masked DeDeDe from Triple Deluxe.
And while we are on cosmetics, origanly Brawl was going to have cosmetic damage the lower your Stamina became/higher your precentage went. I'd like to see that(If only to see Cap and Meta's faces).

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
In relation to characters that are highly similar to each, this is what I'd want it to be like:

Alt. Costume - Character
Lucina - Marth
Dr. Mario - Mario
Falco - Fox
Shadow - Sonic
Ms. Pacman - Pacman

Obviously, each "alternate costume" would have their own voices, and maybe animations, but they play identically to their respective characters

Last edited:

moneyfrenzy

Smash Ace
Since people love Roy and Ike replaced him and they share they same moves, Roy for Ike. Docter Mario for normal Mario, same with Luigi. Dry Bowser. Various art styles for Link and Zelda(Zelda has no Sheik in TP, but she has it in Brawl, so they can maybe come up with on for SS Zelda). AND NOT THE CHEAP KNOCK-OFF OF LINKS SS COSTUME! Pajama Toon Link, Child Link and Conducter Toon LInk for Toon Link. Evil Masked DeDeDe from Triple Deluxe.
And while we are on cosmetics, origanly Brawl was going to have cosmetic damage the lower your Stamina became/higher your precentage went. I'd like to see that(If only to see Cap and Meta's faces).
I dont think that Luigi would work considering he only shares like 2 moves with mario at this point, and his fireballs are slightly different. As much as I wish that Young link would work, his proportions are really different from Toon links

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
I dont think that Luigi would work considering he only shares like 2 moves with mario at this point, and his fireballs are slightly different. As much as I wish that Young link would work, his proportions are really different from Toon links
Sorry, I was a tad unclear, I mean Luigi should get Dr. Costume too. Honestly I only care about Toon Pagama Link and Skyward Link. These are ones that just came to mind.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
What about this?

Oh, and if you're wondering why I didn't post the image into the text box, I can't for some reason.
Well, I said this because Dark Pit was not a character in Brawl times, he was created AFTER brawl after all... also if I'm not wrong THIS black pallet swap color was Dark Pit's inspiration... They have different personalities now. but this time, we will don't have just a recolor, but a TRUE character with different personality, deep voice and even some design changes...

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Pit

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well, I said this because Dark Pit was not a character in Brawl times, he was created AFTER brawl after all... also if I'm not wrong THIS black pallet swap color was Dark Pit's inspiration... They have different personalities now. but this time, we will don't have just a recolor, but a TRUE character with different personality, deep voice and even some design changes...

http://kidicarus.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Pit
This reminds me of Mephiles, a character who is simply a palette swap of Shadow, but has a "unique" personality.

I put that in quotes because his "dark" personality has been used over a million times in human history.

Last edited:

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Wow, this thread is just the three of us.
I'm having trouble thinking of alts. On the note of both Dr.'s I think they could change the attacks too, fireball could be a pill with a glowy aura around it. I also always wanted to play as the rainbowy and black weird colors from the Great Maze and the Alloys for Kirb, Cap, Mario, ZSS. Mr. L MIght be a good alt for Luigi(if they de-paperized him)

Last edited:

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Wow, this thread is just the three of us. I'm having trouble thinking of alts. On the note of both Dr.s I think they could change the attacks too, fireball could be a pill with a glowy aura around it. I always wanted to play as the rainbowy colors from the Great Maze and the Alloys for Kirb, Cap, Mario, ZSS. Mr. L MIght be a good alt for Luigi(if they de-paperized him)
OH RIGHT I FORGOT.

Alt. Costume - Character
Dr. Luigi - Luigi

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
In terms of separate characters (different slot on the character selection screen), I'd like it if there were no more than 45.

EDIT: Sorry, double post.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
The Dr. alt costumes...

This can generate controversies? Because Dr. Mario play different than Mario in Melee, also, I think Dr. Mario fans will be very upset, and if they have a single change in ability, it will turn in a Lucina case. I'm fine, I'm just thinking in the other members of the community

Pachiresu for Pikachu?
Although this will be pretty cool, it will never work. Maybe Pichu, but them have different body proportions, and Pichu is on the same boat as Dr. Mario case here.

Last edited:

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Pachiresu for Pikachu?
Maybe, although Pachirisu is so small, it might as well be an alternate costume for Pichu.
The Dr. alt costumes...

This can generate controversies? Because Dr. Mario play different than Mario in Melee, also, I think Dr. Mario fans will be very upset, and if they have a single change in ability, it will turn in a Lucina case. I'm fine, I'm just thinking in the other members of the community
What about in Project M? Mario had his Dr. Mario outfit, as well as different colours for it.

Last edited:

Silversun247

Smash Cadet
Im imaging Pach's tail kinda stuck to his back so he is the same shape as Pikachu. Kinda how a plush with a long tail in usually aimed up and is stiched to the back of the head.

CamZ

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Roy fits Ike's play style, he should be his own character.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Well I don't like Dr. Mario has an alt. costume for Mario idea (because I miss the Dr. Mario's different properties in Melee). Also, Raichu is bigger than Pikachu and have a larger tail? I hope Pikachu have female alts this time.

Canuckduck

Smash Ace
Well I don't like Dr. Mario has an alt. costume for Mario idea (because I miss the Dr. Mario's different properties in Melee). Also, Raichu is bigger than Pikachu and have a larger tail? I hope Pikachu have female alts this time.
Their differences in moves and properties are so miniscule that Dr. Mario and Mario players have exactly the same strategies.

Last edited:

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Their differences in moves and properties are so miniscule that Dr. Mario and Mario players have exactly the same strategies.
I'm thinking this will happen with Marth/Lucina. Well we can't tell that apart, I wish I know what Sakurai thinks about the older Melee veterans...

Last edited:

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I think these are some potentially likely ones:
Mario/ Dr. Mario
Peach/ Daisy
Pikachu/ Raichu (Can't see Pichu getting in as an alt because of the size difference)
Ganondorf/ Demise
Sheik/ SS Impa
Pac-Man/ Ms. Pac-Man
Palutena/ Medusa (At least a recolor if not a full blown alt)
Diddy Kong/ Dixie Kong
DK/ Funky Kong
Pit/ Dark Pit (So help me god Sakurai, if Dark Pit is his own character...)
Ness/ Ninten
Olimar/ Louie
Those are just what I can see happening off the top of my head. Depending on how fanservicey they decide to get, we could see any number of characters showing up as alts.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Eckhem... mods... theres a thread like this. Dont know what brilliant young chap made it.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Eckhem... mods... theres a thread like this. Dont know what brilliant young chap made it.
I contacted the mods to make this thread... call @FalKoopa if you have a problem. I am the brilliant young chap. Read the OP. Th
is thread have a different focus

Last edited:

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
I think the possibilities for character alts are endless! They could implement a lot of different characters, including some fan favorites who may miss the cut! I was thinking of these possible alts for characters:
Daisy - Peach
Dr. Mario - Mario
Dr. Luigi - Luigi
BIRDO - YOSHI ????? (Kinda hope this comes true :D )
Dark Pit - Pit
Ms. Pac Man - Pac Man
Lucas - Ness (If the lil guy for sure gets cut, although I hope he doesn't)
Funky Kong - Donkey Kong

Some of these were mentioned before me and personally I think they are great! It would be really cool if Sakurai made this come true! :D This whole "Lucina being lucky to be her own character" gives me a lot of hope! :D

Sol_Vent

Smash Journeyman
NNID
l-Sorubento-l
3DS FC
1375-8278-3354
I might be alone on this, but I'd really like Swirlix as an alt for Jigglypuff. Out of all Pokemon, Swirlix is the only one that seems like it would fit Jiggly at all in terms of movement and body type. And even though it has no arms, it can make candy tendrils or something, so I don't see why it couldn't punch with those.

I guess I just want a 'puff of a different flavor.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Interesting.

If alt costumes can be full on different models now, I wonder if that includes voice acting, and crowd chanting/ announcer calling names.

At that point if the only thing the character shares in common is a moveset and hit box, and is a perfect clone, I would still consider that costume it's own character, even if it didn't have a slot of its own.

But if Lucina was a Marth costume, and the announcer shouted "Your winner is Marth!" that would be lame, same for a character thatt looks exactly like daisy but is called peach.

Two Big Guys For You

Smash Cadet
This reminds me of Mephiles, a character who is simply a palette swap of Shadow, but has a "unique" personality.

I put that in quotes because his "dark" personality has been used over a million times in human history.
I kind of want to see Coldsteel and Sonichu appear as purple and yellow colors.

Me, I think the biggest chance we have for Chrom is as an alt for Marth or Ike.

Protoman deserves to be an alt for Mega Man as well.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Sakurai: Doc's pills are the reason we give him his own spot again.

I can see it.
Sakurai: Solid Snake and Big Boss are almost identical, but Big Boss is 2 centimeters shorter, naturally he got his own spot on the roster.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I figure any character who would be similarly clone-ish to Lucina will be alts, since Sakurai made a point of saying she got lucky.

As for characters who could be alts:

Dark Pit (Pit)
Roy (Lucina)
Dark Peach (Peach)
Daisy (Peach)
Ninten (Ness)
Paula (Ness)
Kumatora (Lucas)
Louie (Olimar)
Alpha (Olimar)
-------------------
Matthew (Isaac)
Dunban (Shulk) maybe, they have different fighting styles but Dunban is capable of wielding the Monado.

It's not so bad really, since alts that are different characters will apparently get their own names and voices now. It's nearly as good as being your own character.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Roy and Ike do NOT share the same moves. Ike is a fully original character with one move remotely similar to Marth/Roy. Lucina is closer to Roy than anyone at this point (although speed/weight wise, Ike is closer to Roy).

I think these are some potentially likely ones:
Mario/ Dr. Mario
Peach/ Daisy
Pikachu/ Raichu (Can't see Pichu getting in as an alt because of the size difference)
Ganondorf/ Demise
Sheik/ SS Impa
Pac-Man/ Ms. Pac-Man
Palutena/ Medusa (At least a recolor if not a full blown alt)
Diddy Kong/ Dixie Kong
DK/ Funky Kong
Pit/ Dark Pit (So help me god Sakurai, if Dark Pit is his own character...)
Ness/ Ninten

Those are just what I can see happening off the top of my head. Depending on how fanservicey they decide to get, we could see any number of characters showing up as alts.
I like this listing quite a bit, although Pikachu/Raichu is quite iffy. Ganondorf/Demise is a bit iffy as well.

Palutena/Medusa and Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong definitely don't work, though. Dixie could in theory, but her attacks and everything revolve around her hair. Almost her entire moveset, except for a couple of things, would revolve around her hair. The jet barrels are really just Diddy's gig. Yeah, other characters used Jet Barrels in Barrel Blast, but that was really it. The jet barrels have always been Diddy's thing, Dixie wouldn't fit with it very well at all.

Palutena and Medusa? Definitely iffy, Palutena's moves don't really look like they'd fit Medusa very well. Palutena could have a Medusa recolor, but a full-blown alt I just can't see working well.

Everyone else is fine, and add Dr. Luigi, too.

I figure any character who would be similarly clone-ish to Lucina will be alts, since Sakurai made a point of saying she got lucky.

As for characters who could be alts:

Dark Pit (Pit)
Roy (Lucina)
Dark Peach (Peach)
Daisy (Peach)
Ninten (Ness)
Paula (Ness)
Kumatora (Lucas)
Louie (Olimar)
Alpha (Olimar)
-------------------
Matthew (Isaac)
Dunban (Shulk) maybe, they have different fighting styles but Dunban is capable of wielding the Monado.

It's not so bad really, since alts that are different characters will apparently get their own names and voices now. It's nearly as good as being your own character.
Kumatora is too tall.

Also, if you're adding Roy onto Lucina, I'd also like to add Eirika onto Marth. Perhaps even Sigurd for Ike, Sigurd is the oldest known main Lord, although even Sigurd might be a bit of a pretty boy, he's not quite so much as others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom