• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Character Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
My preferred playstyles are not the gimmick-based ones, but the ones like Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Mega Man or Villager have, where it's an assortment of interesting moves that might not break any existing molds, but contribute to awesome new styles nonetheless.
I agree with this because there is a point where it stops being "unique" and starts become "Special Snowflake Syndrome." These are characters that are strongly hindered by how they play. Every Smash game has at least one character like this. The worst offenders to date have been :pt: and :4robinm:. Both characters basically beat themselves even before match ups are considered.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I agree with this because there is a point where it stops being "unique" and starts become "Special Snowflake Syndrome." These are characters that are strongly hindered by how they play. Every Smash game has at least one character like this. The worst offenders to date have been :pt: and :4robinm:. Both characters basically beat themselves even before match ups are considered.
Robin is easily the worst of the FE cast in my opinion.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
More types of weapon users would be nice. I'm not huge fans of either character but I like the idea of Bandana Dee because he uses a spear and would be more on board with Impa if she used her naginata instead of the Totally Not a Buster Sword 5000™. Other fighter ideas I like:

-A fighter who's dangerously clumsy and accident prone.
-A fighter who fights using mini satellites.
-A fighter that can partially transform into other characters.
-A fighter who's primarily means of fighting is different kinds of explosives.
Inspiration strikes.

Tally-ho~

Dinoman96

Smash Master
My preferred playstyles are not the gimmick-based ones, but the ones like Bowser Jr., Duck Hunt, Mega Man or Villager have, where it's an assortment of interesting moves that might not break any existing molds, but contribute to awesome new styles nonetheless.
Junior is kinda gimmick based, the gimmick being his clown cart. He actually takes more damage if you hit Junior himself rather than his vehicle.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Junior is kinda gimmick based, the gimmick being his clown cart. He actually takes more damage if you hit Junior himself rather than his vehicle.
So is Lucario a gimmick? Because it's arua thing that really doesn't in Pokemon, is just a distant inverse of that.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Yeah, but that's more of a minor trait than some big overarching gimmick in the grand scheme of things. I haven't watched a ton of Jr. montages, but it doesn't seem as though players ever factor such a small quirk into their gameplay compared to someone like Robin or even Lucario.

Roaring Salsa

A dragon never yields
More types of weapon users would be nice. I'm not huge fans of either character but I like the idea of Bandana Dee because he uses a spear and would be more on board with Impa if she used her naginata instead of the Totally Not a Buster Sword 5000™. Other fighter ideas I like:

-A fighter who's dangerously clumsy and accident prone.
-A fighter who fights using mini satellites.
-A fighter that can partially transform into other characters.
-More characters with aura like properties but gain different stats as they take more damage like speed or defense.
-A fighter that uses multiple or different fighting stances.
-A fighter who's rhythm based.
-A fighter who's primarily means of fighting is different kinds of explosives.
-A fighter who's playstyle largely revolves around shield breaking.
If Isabelle ever gets added to Smash, she'll be that one.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Some would argue that :4littlemac: kinda falls into that category as well. Granted, Little Mac isn't exactly the kind of character I could imagine doing crazy aerial tricks due to being a boxer, but at the same time, having an awful air game in a game where being in the air is important is bit of a downer.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Some would argue that :4littlemac: kinda falls into that category as well. Granted, Little Mac isn't exactly the kind of character I could imagine doing crazy aerial tricks due to being a boxer, but at the same time, having an awful air game in a game where being in the air is important is bit of a downer.
This would be a problem where if Mac was in a game like Brawl or even 64 where the air game was super strong in those. Now in Smash 4 the neutral game is much much better to deal with which makes Mac a much easier character to work with in this game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
The gimmick/unconventional characters so far in the series:

:pichumelee::popo::pt::snake::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4gaw::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4marth::4megaman::4mewtwo::4miigun::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

Gimmick characters (playstyle revolves around a particular mechanic/s):

:pichumelee::popo::pt::4littlemac::4lucario::4marth::4olimar::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic:

Unconventional fighter (don't play like a standard fighting game character; usually projectile oriented):

:snake::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4gaw::4lucas::4megaman::4mewtwo::4miigun::4ness::4pacman::4rob::4samus::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Robin's "discard" gimmick would be much more acceptable if they were actually like...mobile.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
You kind of have to wonder though: How would Little Mac, in his current state, fair in Melee (or Project M)?

On one hand, the faster, more offensive game engine might give him an advantage, but other than that, it seems like he'd be completely screwed. Smash 4 is a bit floatier and recovering back onto the stage is pretty easy to due things like auto ledge snaps, but Melee is a way heavier game and recovery isn't as easy, so I kinda feel like he'd basically have absolutely no chance of getting back on the stage once knocked off. Then there's also stuff like Captain Falcon and Fox comboing him into oblivion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Someone from Rhythm Heaven is a given for rhythm-based fighter, and while I think Marth and Lucina already have shield-breaking covered, a Mother villain like Porky or the Masked Man would be good for a shield-breaking focus due to possessing Shield Killers of their own. Aside from those, you mainly listed character archetypes, however. I'm less interested in character archetypes and more interested in playstyle archetypes.
-A fighter that benefits from claiming territory on the stage (Andy, Inklings)
For fear of sounding like a broken record fanboy...I feel like Sami would be a better fit for a moveset based around claiming territory, since that's kinda her thing.
I actually have a basic idea for this kind of moveset. Her standard attacks could use a combination of CQC and her bazooka (with multiple modes functioning like different units in Advance Wars), or an exaggerated assault rifle.
However, her gimmick would come from her special moves:

Neutral Special: Create Base: Sami claims an area of the stage by creating a base. Similar to Villager's tree but not an attack. She can create three at a time and upgrade the ones she has a second time. Bases strengthens Sami's attacks and restore her % when in close proximity. It also boosts other moves. Bases can be destroyed by opponents.

Side Special: Unit Summon: Sami summons a pixelated unit to charge forward and fire attack enemies. Similar to the Assist Trophy but with less range and power. With one base Sami summons an Infantry, with two a Mech, and with three a Tank.
Holding the button keeps the unit in place.

Up Special: T. Copter Drone: Sami grabs onto a drone resembling a T. Copter and flies upward with it. Distance increases with the strength of bases.

Down Special: Fog Mine: Sami places a grenade that creates a small smoke screen from the Fog of War. Sami and her bases cannot be seen through it while her opponents can. Disappears after a while.

Her Final Smash can be an air strike or something. Her standard attacks have high knockback but low damage and scaling to keep opponents away from her bases.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
A fighter who steals items and status effects from other fighters (Meowth with Pickup ability and Thief/Covet/Snatch moves).

A fighter who boosts moves by flipping a coin (Meowth in Pokemon Trading Card Game where you flip coins to boost moves and Meowth holding the Amulet Coin item in the Pokemon games where it increases the amount of money you get at the end of battles).

See? There's more to Meowth besides just scratching and throwing coins!

:052:

StormC

Smash Hero
Smash 4 has a fast ground game and slow air game, so if Little Mac struggles here, he'd be abysmal in Melee.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The gimmick/unconventional characters so far in the series:

:pichumelee::popo::pt::snake::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4gaw::4littlemac::4lucario::4lucas::4marth::4megaman::4mewtwo::4miigun::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4rob::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:

Gimmick characters (playstyle revolves around a particular mechanic/s):

:pichumelee::popo::pt::4littlemac::4lucario::4marth::4olimar::4robinm::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4shulk::4sonic:

Unconventional fighter (don't play like a standard fighting game character; usually projectile oriented):

:snake::4bowserjr::4duckhunt::4gaw::4lucas::4megaman::4mewtwo::4miigun::4ness::4pacman::4rob::4samus::4villager::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zss:
I think you could put :4palutena: somewhere. She's a weird case in that she has a gimmick, but it isn't something that can immediately be activated in an in-game match like Pokemon Trainer's switch mechanic or Mac's KO punch. I'm talking about the fact that she's the only regular character (not counting the Mii Fighters) to have unique custom specials. Quite a few of those customs are pretty unique themselves like Super Speed and Lightweight.

EDIT: You also missed out on :4kirby:. Arguably :4wario: is pretty unconventional as well.

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
You kind of have to wonder though: How would Little Mac, in his current state, fair in Melee (or Project M)?

On one hand, the faster, more offensive game engine might give him an advantage, but other than that, it seems like he'd be completely screwed. Smash 4 is a bit floatier and recovering back onto the stage is pretty easy to due things like auto ledge snaps, but Melee is a way heavier game and recovery isn't as easy, so I kinda feel like he'd basically have absolutely no chance of getting back on the stage once knocked off. Then there's also stuff like Captain Falcon and Fox comboing him into oblivion.
I think he'd be terrifying in Melee, where most of the cast has mediocre or downright predictable recoveries and most people don't have very good off stage games anyways. Given how much easier combos are too, the KO punch would be grossly overpowered. As for Project M, I think he'd be about where he is now because Project M and Smash 4 seem to have relatively close levels of equilibrium at this point.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
A character that had movement in each attack would be interesting. Sonic is close with his specials. But I mean most attacks.

Example: King K. Rool

Forward Smash: Doing the worm (dance move) forwards, pressing A again will have him do another

Nuetral A: Does a cannonball, bounces if hits the ground

Crouch: Plays dead, press of A will have him do a breast stroke forwards while his belly is on the floor

Smash Up: An uppercut that lifts him off the ground; A again, once more, making him do another uppercut while rising once more

That way he is a heavyweight with constant momentum if you so choose

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
So how do you guys think Smash 4's DLC will shake out in the next game? Will it be guaranteed as part of the initial roster?

Troykv

Smash Master
So how do you guys think Smash 4's DLC will shake out in the next game? Will it be guaranteed as part of the initial roster?
Well, probably some characters, but this will need a LONGER development time unless is like Kenith say... a Extended Smash 4.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
As a Robin player, I have to say that Robin's "gimmick" isn't as crippling as you make it out to be, and in many cases can be tactically utilized by turning the discarded weapons into disrupters or viciously powerful projectiles.

Pokemon Trainer, though, is certainly hindered quite a bit by his gimmick.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
I'm thinking the "next game" may be an extended version of Smash 4, so yeah probably.
Ultimate Smash Bros All Stars (featuring Dante from Devil May Cry and Knuckles)! God, I hope not... I've dropped 20 bucks on DLC on this game already (and probably another twenty once the remaining characters are revealed), I'd hate for it to be made into "a complete package" in 2016. I'd rather wait for Smash 5 than Smash 4.5.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Ultimate Smash Bros All Stars (featuring Dante from Devil May Cry and Knuckles)! God, I hope not... I've dropped 20 bucks on DLC on this game already (and probably another twenty once the remaining characters are revealed), I'd hate for it to be made into "a complete package" in 2016. I'd rather wait for Smash 5 than Smash 4.5.
Even if it isn't "Ultimate Smash 4" I would be surprised if it's heavily based on this game.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
On another topic, did you remark that each member of the 'Clone Trinity' is based on a newcomer from each of the 3 previous Smash games ?

:4drmario: is based on a 64 newcomer. :mario64:
:4lucina: is based on a Melee newcomer. :marthmelee:
:4darkpit: is based on a Brawl newcomer. :pit:

I wonder which Smash 4 newcomer would have got its clone as well...

:troll:

EDIT : That text editor is a mess...
Wii Fit U Trainer confirmed. :troll:

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I can understand this, but picture Smash 4 with fixed Classic mode, a decent Adventure mode (Say, Melee), Smash Run put in from 3DS with online support, a few additional characters/stages, maybe some added costumes and some other stuff.

Or if you're a Nintendo employee, picture how much better the NX will sell if you have "Ultimate Super Smash Bros" as a launch title, sold at a lower price than average because development time was nowhere near as long.

StormC

Smash Hero
Or if you're a Nintendo employee, picture how much better the NX will sell if you have "Ultimate Super Smash Bros" as a launch title, sold at a lower price than average because development time was nowhere near as long.
Would this theoretical game have new characters besides the DLC guys? Because characters have always been the selling point of the game.

Last edited:

TallT

Smash Apprentice
I can understand this, but picture Smash 4 with fixed Classic mode, a decent Adventure mode (Say, Melee), Smash Run put in from 3DS with online support, a few additional characters/stages, maybe some added costumes and some other stuff.

I would personally prefer if Adventure mode was more like Subspasce Emissary, but with actual Nintendo enemies instead of the made up enemies they used last time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I would personally prefer if Adventure mode was more like Subspasce Emissary, but with actual Nintendo enemies instead of the made up enemies they used last time.
That's basically Smash Run's maze segment, condensed into five minutes of course.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Would this theoretical game have new characters besides the DLC guys? Because characters have always been the selling point of the game.
Definitely. They could add some of the newcomers they missed in the original game that are still requested.
For example, Takamaru. It's a new release so they can cut his Assist Trophy.

StormC

Smash Hero
Definitely. They could add some of the newcomers they missed in the original game that are still requested.
For example, Takamaru. It's a new release so they can cut his Assist Trophy.
I feel like eventually hype would burn out. That's a good ~5 years of constant character speculation, starting in 2012. The break between Brawl and 4 did wonders.

Last edited:
If you expect most of these characters, then I'm afraid to say that you may find yourself a bit disappointed...
Not expecting, just characters I've seen who have been thrown about and seem pretty popular.

There's a hole where the SSE was in Brawl, Smash Tour is a letdown. Would like to see an Adventure mode similar to the SSE with a different plot if feasible.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Not expecting, just characters I've seen who have been thrown about and look pretty popular.
errrr...this was posted a while ago....I was referring to another members list of characters that included about 20 third parties including like 5-6 Mortal Kombat and 5-6 killer instinct characters, and Evil Ryu of all people...and the user said he was expecting most of these characters to be DLC as if he was posting the list as a prediction and not a wanted characters....

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
http://strawpoll.me/4850063
http://strawpoll.me/4850071
http://strawpoll.me/4850079

Take these straw polls for me, will ya?

Tell me what you think here after you take them.
6+ August Hype WOLF!!!!!!
anyways...We will likely get a new character in August since the Smash Direct dropped the bomb on us with three characters that we totally didn't see coming >.> and it will give us a decent cool down period with no pending characters...Wolf perhaps will be shown I had my suspicions that Roy and Ryu would be all we got at E3 since only their files were found in game so I kinda expected wolf to not be shown at e3 and would probably be saved for August, and maybe even another character if we're lucky...if the placeholder Marios are any indication there will be 6 total pre-determined DLC with 4 of them being filled and two more still vacant (likely Wolf and someone else) I highly doubt Sakurai and Nintendo will give us a huge smash Ballot and give us almsot an entire year to vote on it if we are not getting more than a couple characters...It could very well be possible upon the first Ballot characters reveal a new patch will add more placeholders and it could quite possibly be another 6 making it 6 DLC per year for 2015/16

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
http://strawpoll.me/4850063
http://strawpoll.me/4850071
http://strawpoll.me/4850079

Take these straw polls for me, will ya?

Tell me what you think here after you take them.
I voted for:

-5 more
-August Hype
-Yes, and it will be Wolf

I'm optimistic about the numbers of DLC characers left.
I think just the tournament mode and some 64 stages are not really hype, and all the Smash Directs and Smash announcements are the definition of hype.
I wanted to vote for Wolf and another pre-ballot character, but that wasn't an option, so, just Wolf.

But well, Sakurai is unpredictable, so... potato.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom