• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching!!! ROY!! .PAC UP!!!! 12/7/09 at 3:36 AM EST

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
OMG!!!! I can't wait for Roy to be his OWN individual character! :D Hopefully we'll have BOTH Roy and Marth cause my main is Marth and I don't want him out. But Roy is TOO badass so I'll consider this.

CloneHat

Smash Champion
You should probably use the Roy texture with a purple cape, which looks much nicer. It's vanished from all the texture sites, however.

mofo_

Smash Ace
wow first we had Sword Ganondorf, now Roy! Freakin' awesome bro!

a pichu seems possible, like give every move damage to urself like the way ikes eruption does

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Wow, this is pretty awesome.

From what I know of the code, though, making him a separate character would require adding another character 'slot' which sounds like it would require a burnt disc. I have no idea, though, to be honest.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
W00t, public release is sexy. I'll be testing this with friends and generate lots of feedback for you.

But yeah, we need to get a better texture than that. Someone needs to purple out that tiara so it's not there, and the colors are way too bright.

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
Nah,his face need to be less feminine.
/joke

Btw,Awesome guys,awesome.

W00t, public release is sexy. I'll be testing this with friends and generate lots of feedback for you.

But yeah, we need to get a better texture than that. Someone needs to purple out that tiara so it's not there, and the colors are way too bright.
Does the tiara have anything under it? Or would we just be staring through the top of "Roy's" head? xD

auroreon

Smash Ace
Are you guys going to be making him a bit more like Roy and a bit less like Marth in later releases?

auroreon

Smash Ace
I don't mean costume wise, I mean moveset wise...
He still doesn't seem that much like Roy atm.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Well one of the..."unique" things about Roy in Melee was his Double-Edged Dance...which sucked since it could be CC'd. Now if it wasn't for CC...that move would be stupid...<_<

Now IDK about you but we can't make such ridiculous moves without Roy being a LOL character due to the spammable nature of Dancing Blade in this game.

But IDK, more like Roy means [to me] forcing Roy to use dtilt, fair, nair, neutral B, hopefully a grab, and jump around hoping to land a smash unexpectedly. I mean he sucked in Melee so...if we want to make "Rarth" good....we'd have to not restrict ourselves to tradition, and be a little...erm...liberal with Rarth our boy here.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Dancing Blade is in a very early beta phase, it needs work done to it. Frame speeds and knockback adjustments galore. It will be released in this beta set, but some other prominent Roy players will be helping me get it to act for like DED.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
The plan we are working on (by we I mean Almas) is using the leftover CSS panes to select the created characters. There are CSS panes for Wario-Man, Giga Bowser, and the 4 Alloys. Then have the game read 'When Red Alloy is picked load Roy Data' and bam. That's the plan, but Almas has a lot of other more important things to be working on. Make sure to thank him for all the hard work though.

I updated the post with links. I gotta make sure that Blazer is actually sending people somewhere and D-tilt isn't so ******** and I should have this out in the hour.

Plum

Has never eaten a plum.
Premium
Well one of the..."unique" things about Roy in Melee was his Double-Edged Dance...which sucked since it could be CC'd. Now if it wasn't for CC...that move would be stupid...<_<

Now IDK about you but we can't make such ridiculous moves without Roy being a LOL character due to the spammable nature of Dancing Blade in this game.

But IDK, more like Roy means [to me] forcing Roy to use dtilt, fair, nair, neutral B, hopefully a grab, and jump around hoping to land a smash unexpectedly. I mean he sucked in Melee so...if we want to make "Rarth" good....we'd have to not restrict ourselves to tradition, and be a little...erm...liberal with Rarth our boy here.
The whole idea behind the pull effect of the tipper is to help make him unique from Marth without being his awful (though sexy) Melee self.

It also gives you a reward for actually spacing well. And he will naturally be better without CC. He already had practically no stun outside the sweetspot in Melee and with CC it was like being hit by Fox's laser.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
@VietGeek
You don't have to worry, both the Cape and myself are working closely on this project. We want to preserve the awesomeness that was Melee Roy (dtilt > fsmash is there, so is his amazing shffled uair juggles and etc) as well as improve him so that he is actually good. We are doing this in ways that are very different from Marth.

Honestly, one of the big things I want to try is to increase the tip's hitbox (and somehow shift it over so he doesn't have more range than the sword, dunno if this is possible) and decrease the other hitbox. It's super ******** easy to land his sweetspot, and his tip is much harder to use effectively. I think giving him a more "melee-sized" tip would further differentiate Roy, as well as making accidental tips more common, because as it stands people will be sweetspotting with Roy using 95% of his sword when he was originally designed to hit with pretty much just 2/3rds of his blade.

Asside from that, I don't think his gravity is perfect yet. He still seems a bit too floaty. I think his dtilt needs more BKB, because right now it acts more like a faster longer ranged Link utilt than Roy's poke. A lot of work to be done, but it's a good base. GoG has done a great job so far.

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
GCT is up for download. I added more base and growth to the d-tilt. Give me feedback guys! Also, inform me if there are download problems. I have a free Mediafire account so I don't know...

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
LOL @ IC3R you are correct sir. He needs to yell it up. LOL any way of giving Roy Link's sounds? That would work pretty well, lol.

Initial impressions are that he's still a bit too floaty. I can still double fair, that's a no no. More up and down grav, possibly more FF.

Moveset changes:
I love uair. It juggles no matter what percent. Good idea for making the growth really small. I would like for the tip to do something else. You know I love the suction effect, and I think it'd be really cool for the uair tip to be a mini-spike designed to pull characters into a smash or tilt. Perhaps if utilt was a kill move, then an uair tip to utilt would be amazing. It's something to chew on.

Nair tip needs to send opponenets up and towards Roy. This would set up for juggles and possibly smashes. It'd be nice.

I have more, but i gotta go.

The Cape

Smash Master
What about Doc?

Make Mario's fair always spike and we can make Doc in here.

Already got him moveset planned out.

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
Well,is a better option than Pichu.Pichu will have his Upsmash like Pikachu,and that sucks =X
Can you guys change the color of Mario Cape to white?

goodoldganon

Smash Champion
Keep the discussion towards Roy boys. Here are my planned IMMEDIATE changes.

• More Grav
  • D-tilt needs more growth and a little more base
  • F-tilt tips needs more base and growth
  • Edit the N-air
  • Look into F-smash. Is it too strong?

Kuga

Smash Journeyman
Fsmash?Maybe a bit more winddown,but,can be on of the best Fsmash,just that :p

Top Bottom