• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO 2015 Singles Recap - Top 8 Tomorrow

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~

Singles play today at CEO 2015 for Smash was incredibly hype. Players came out in full force and many matches took unexpected turns with several surprising upsets. As we head into the top 8 for both Melee and Smash for Wii U, ZeRo's bounty still remains unclaimed and $300 in pot bonuses are up for grabs in each. For those that may have missed the tournament today or want a recap on the most exciting matches in singles Smashboards is here!

Smash 4

Pools

There were many upsets in Smash 4 pools that left many fans and viewers surprised. The largest of which came from pool 2 in NAKAT's performance. As a player many had to make top 32 or even break into top 8, his losses to both KamiKario and then elimination in losers bracket by falln shocked many people. Fans of Donkey Kong will be sad to hear DKWill was unable to escape pool 1 being double eliminated by KDB. Sol brought on serious hype as well, almost taking out Nario before being 2 stocked game three. A full recap on Smash 4 pools is available here, with a top 32 recap also available here.

Top 8

Zero still has the $500 bounty on his head and his first match going into top 8 tomorrow will certainly put the pressure on. ESAM was on everyone's list as one of the players that could take down ZeRo in the latest Smashboards podcast and with the victories he pulled out today it is no surprise. If ZeRo pulls through ESAM he'll have to face the winner of MVD vs Nairo. MVD took a game off of ZeRo back at MVG Sandstorm, and Nairo with his impressive set of capable characters would both present quite the challenge.

Dabuz, having been taken out by ESAM earlier, will definitely want a potential second shot at him in losers bracket. Before that happened he will have to face Shaky who recently took down ESAM in a few sets. Larry Lurr managed to take out ANTi AND Mr. R on his run through losers. NickRiddle has been no slouch either however, having taken out StaticManny and KamiKario. Top 8 for Smash 4 is shaping up to be quite the spectacle!

Melee

Pools

Melee pools had plenty of exciting matches as well. Recently sponsored Bizzaro Flame was sadly double eliminated by Gahtzu and "King of Smash" Ken was also double eliminated but by Gravy. The double elimination streaks kept going as well, with Tafokints double eliminating Darkrain and Cactuar double eliminated by Soft. With no Mew2King in pool 8, Zhu made it out of the winners bracket followed by Reno is losers. Tai also had his run cut short by both The Moon and Colbol respectively.

Top 8

Heading into the top 8 of Melee there will be some seriously intense matches. Armada and Hungrybox will meet early in the day, with the loser to play Mang0 vs Plup. Recently signed The Moon also faces Westballz, the guy who's taken out Mang0 several times recently, early in losers. If Mang0 makes one of his legendary runs through losers bracket we may see that rivalry play out for 4th place. Shroomed vs Leffen is a match very few expected as well. If Shroomed pulls out the win it will be one of his most impressive placements as of late which would be fantastic for momentum heading into Evo 2015.

---​

CEO 2015 has so far been breathtakingly hype. Give us those top 8 picks for Melee and Smash 4 below, and get aboard the hype train for tomorrow!

SmashCapps is seriously hyperventilating over these matches, and isn't sure he'll be able to sleep at all tonight. share in his manic hype by following him on Twitter.

Last edited:

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
Remember when people thought Mr R could take Zero out? Well.... yea...

Last edited:

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
Do you even proofread your articles? There's so many grammatical mistakes it's not even funny.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
J

I'm a grammar nazi myself but give the guy a break.
I wouldn't mind if it's like 2-3 mistakes, but the first time I saw it, I think there was ~8+ mistakes that came across as sloppy.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
There were some insane sets today just in pools. Can't wait for top 8 tomorrow even if I have to watch it on mute at work.

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
Pretty hype matches for top 32 outside of Sonic. I'm not knocking on the skill it takes to play Sonic I just find him boring outside of 6WX. I'm glad they are showing Melee Top 8 before Smash 4 so the few bad Melee fans don't make everyone else look bad with their crap they pull and I will get to see both Top 8. This tournament is quickly becoming my favorite of this year and looks so well run compared to MVG Sandstorm and APEX 2015.

J.P

Smash Journeyman
NNID
3DS FC
2466-2692-8715
I'm glad they are showing Melee Top 8 before Smash 4 so the few bad Melee fans don't make everyone else look bad with their crap they pull
What "crap" do they pull? 0_o I haven't seen Melee players ruining a Smash 4 tourney just because.

ev1ln1c

Smash Rookie
NNID
ev1ln1c
What "crap" do they pull? 0_o I haven't seen Melee players ruining a Smash 4 tourney just because.
Mostly stream monsters from the Melee stream (once it is over) coming over to crap on the game. It gets sooo annoying.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Mostly stream monsters from the Melee stream (once it is over) coming over to crap on the game. It gets sooo annoying.
That would imply the Twitch chat for CEO holds any value in the first place. It kinda scares me honestly.

BaPr

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1091-9057-0681
I didn't get to watch any Sm4sh. Anyone know where I could watch the matches? More specifically, Solreth, 6WX, and Nairo?

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii
Remember when people thought Mr R could take Zero out? Well.... yea...
He still can. Apparently ZeRo was losing to 6WX continuously in friendlies, even though he out placed him. Anway he seemed to be playing off against Larry game 3. I believe he can make the comeback at Evo.

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
We got some pretty hype matches yesterday !
I'm quite disappointed that Ryo didn't make it to top 32
What I will remember is Kamikario's amazing Lucario. Shame he lost that way against Nick Riddle :(

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Everyone, hear my plight, on livestream, tell ZeRo to use Ganondorf or Link in Grand Finals if he makes it. I don't want to see Diddy, I don't want Sheik or Rosalina, I want to see something unique and new for once in Smash 4. So everyone, tell ZeRo...

Play them.

QuantumKiller

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShreckIsDreck
3DS FC
1435-5574-6890
I hope Nairo wins, I'm tired of seeing ZeRo as #1 or whatever. No hate though, just want to see more competition and rivalry.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
Let's be real, Sm4sh is basically the ZeRo donation fund.

As for Melee, my money's on Armada. Mango needs to step it up, but as long as he's not playing as bad as he was yesterday, he's likely for second place. If he decides to go full losers bracket Mango he has a decent chance of taking the tournament, but it's hard to tell with Mango. With Mango in losers, this is also Hbox's biggest shot at winning a major in a very long time. Very excited to see how things play out.

herpyderpherper

Smash Apprentice
NNID
trjcchapple
Let's be real, Sm4sh is basically the ZeRo donation fund.

As for Melee, my money's on Armada. Mango needs to step it up, but as long as he's not playing as bad as he was yesterday, he's likely for second place. If he decides to go full losers bracket Mango he has a decent chance of taking the tournament, but it's hard to tell with Mango. With Mango in losers, this is also Hbox's biggest shot at winning a major in a very long time. Very excited to see how things play out.
Hbox won paragon though.., hope he wins CEO for florida as well

Last edited:

CelloLuCC

Smash Apprentice
I bet Armada will take it. If not, Mango (crazy prediction amarite)
Hopefully Plup wins tho.

As for sm4sh, No way Nairo will take it. He can barely beat GimR lmao. I think Mr at has a shot tho. I'm rooting for him and ESAM.

Last edited:

Ur2Slow

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sponger64
Smash 4 has definitely been crazy in terms of who didn't reach top 8. All the matches for top 8 will be fun to watch (except dabuz vs. shaky. I can only see that as a terrible matchup for ness)

ChickenWing13

Smash Lord
NNID
Frosty93
Everyone, hear my plight, on livestream, tell ZeRo to use Ganondorf or Link in Grand Finals if he makes it. I don't want to see Diddy, I don't want Sheik or Rosalina, I want to see something unique and new for once in Smash 4. So everyone, tell ZeRo...

Play them.
Sure.. let's have ZeRo risk thousands of dollars on the line and his title of "Sm4sh King" for the sake of your entertainment.

Last edited:

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
a lot of sheiks got taken out yesterday like mr. r, Vinnie, and this other guy 3 sets in a row. that was pretty surprising.

Eureka

Smash Ace
Smash 4 doubles was incredibly fun to watch, especially with Sol and Ryo bringing all the hype. But, ah, dat grand finals doe... I'm sorry, but I could feel my anger raising every time someone got hit with a bucket. Yeah, yeah I know it's a legitimate strategy and I'm not saying that it makes Mr. R and Anti's victory any less than it is or that they should've handicapped themselves, but let's be honest, they were getting bopped by MJG and Shaky. I love Smash 4 doubles, but there are way to many strategies that turn the entire game into "don't get hit by this bucket/Aura Sphere/tree or else you'll instantly die!" They're not really fun to watch from a spectator standpoint, and they take out a lot of the skill, coordination, and creativity that makes doubles so great.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
ESAM looked beastly yesterday, wouldn't be suprised if he beats ZeRo when they play tomorrow.

Top Bottom