• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CEO 2015 Melee Singles - Top 8 Recap

Popi

Former EIC
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
PowpiPenguin

Without a doubt, CEO 2015 was stacked. The tournament, which started on June 26 and ended today on the 28th, was the largest tournament in Florida since Paragon Orlando. With 467 entrants for Melee singles and 512 for Smash 4, both games were two of the most entered events in CEO history.

On the Melee side, names like Armada, Mango, Leffen, HungryBox and the like all came to play. Mew2King attending CEO would have made it the first national with 5 of the big 6 attending but flight complications had it otherwise. Smash 4 on the other hand, was even more hype due to the sheer amount of rivalries and storylines leading into it. The one thing that really set the tone was the bounty ZeRo had on his head. Almost everyone was out to get it and this further amplified his role as "the man to beat".

Melee

If one could describe the results of Melee singles, the word for it would be "unexpected". Going into the tournament, there were two favorites to take it namely Adam "Alliance | Armada" Lindgren and Joseph "C9 Mang0" Marquez. Two other members of Melee's "Sinister Six", Juan "Liquid HungryBox" Debiedma and William "TSM Leffen" Hjelte, were also in attendance but were not expected to place within the top 2.

Earlier on, the biggest upset of the tournament happened wherein Shroomed defeated Mang0 in Winners Quarters. To some, this setup something people call "Mang0 Losers Runs" wherein Mang0 gets knocked into Losers Bracket but proceeds to win the entire tournament.

Top 8 opened up with Losers Eighths and a relatively new player matchup in the form of Westballz versus the newly sponsored CT | The Moon. The matches went back and forth with Westballz clutching out a 3-2 victory after The Moon almost came back from a potential 4 stock. The second Losers Eighths set was between Plup and Mang0. Like the previous set, Plup also took Mang0 to game 5 but a windmill play on Pokemon Stadium secured Mang0 the win just before Plup ended his tournament run.

Credits to /u/socklops for the 2 GIFs

To decide who would be facing Mang0 and Westballz, Winners Semis was run with the two Swedish Foxes on opposite sides. With Leffen and Armada 3-0'ing Shroomed and HungryBox, Winners Finals was decidedly a Swedish affair.

For most of the part since APEX 2015, Armada seemed to have had Leffen's number during Fox dittos and was favored to win the matchup yet again. In a shocking bout however, Leffen took Winners Finals over Armada with a 3-0 score.

Back in Losers, both Mango and Westballz beat their opponents coming in from winners ( Hungrybox and Shroomed respectively ) which set them up to fight each other in Losers Semis. After defeating Westballz in a runback of their set from the latest Mayhem, Mango lost against Armada, who himself was still fresh from his defeat at the hands of Leffen.

Interestingly enough, CEO Grand Finals was the second All-Swedish one at a tournament featuring at least 3 of the "Sinister Six". The tournament being referred to here is BEAST V, which Mang0 also got 3rd at. Just like BEAST V, Leffen won over Armada. Although Armada took a game off of him, Leffen won the Fox dittos 3-0 and secured the CEO championship title.

Overall, this is great momentum for Leffen and the other top 8 players going into EVO but we'll have to wait and see what happens then. For videos of the event, you can check out VGBootCamp on Youtube and Twitch.

---​
To everyone who participated in the event on here, it's highly recommended that you claim your slot in the results page so that we can have full logistics of the event as well as to correctly allocate points.

PopiPenguin is still exhilarated over the hype sets that happened during CEO. For any suggestions about future articles as well as this one, you can follow him on Twitter.

Last edited:

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Congrats to Leffen! Happy to see him win his first U.S Major, he played ridiculously well and the practice he has put in really shows.

... How many tournaments like this is it going to take for our boy Mango to stop slacking off? I kind of feel like Armada/Leffen (and maybe even Wesballz...) have a better shot of taking Evo 2015 than Mang0 at this point, but hey, never sleep on the kid I guess.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
What a boring tournament
I thought Westballz vs The Moon, and Plup vs Mang0, were pretty great sets. Especially Westballz + The Moon being the opening set to the top 8, that was ridiculously hype with how vicious they were both playing (especially Westballz).

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
This tournament was epic! I agree with Scar and Toph: Leffen was, surely, the best player on the room! But he still looks like Gary Oak to me
It's sad we lost part of the Grand Finals due to stream problems.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

leffen gets too much ****

I'm glad he won, **** the mentality of him being some sort of villain

NinthWonder

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to Leffen! Happy to see him win his first U.S Major, he played ridiculously well and the practice he has put in really shows.

... How many tournaments like this is it going to take for our boy Mango to stop slacking off? I kind of feel like Armada/Leffen (and maybe even Wesballz...) have a better shot of taking Evo 2015 than Mang0 at this point, but hey, never sleep on the kid I guess.
He didn't even look like he wanted to be there, not quite sure why.

Hbox also had a notably poor appearance. If he can't beat Mango when he's clearly underperforming, then EVO is just a dream.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
I'd like to see Hungrybox win a national at one point. This would've been the best time to do it, drinking water out of a gallon jug and dressed up like he just came from a Rocky montage.

Globe

I only care for waifus

Nice stuff Leffen not letting the haters getting to you.

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
I felt so bad watching Hbox vs Armada. I could tell he felt defeated early on. And when he took off the headband at the end. Man, he just looked crushed.

Kotastic

Smash Ace
NNID
Kotastic
3DS FC
3368-4107-1072
I'd like to see Hungrybox win a national at one point. This would've been the best time to do it, drinking water out of a gallon jug and dressed up like he just came from a Rocky montage.
Yeah, but I think I heard Hbox's C-stick broke too. :/

Golden Rainbow

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2707-2708-0253
God, these games were so good.

But I got super salty when Mango won against Plup. He was doing so well and the dumb windmill had to pick up Fox and let him win. Still angry.

NotaSkeleton

Smash Cadet
I'm actually really happy to see Leffen take first place. Was an extremely intense GF.
Also, Shroomed performed really damn well. That set against Mango was impressive.

Evoke

Smash Apprentice
so why does the vgbc youtube link go to sammy the sonic fan

smashboards | sammy the sonic fan?

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
As much as I don't like Leffen I gotta admit he played well.

Still dont like him tho
He have a curse, no matter if he helps your grandmother to cross the street he will continue to be don't likeable.

BadDeku

Smash Rookie
Its like the gods are falling. Mango just isn't playing as well as he used to it seems, M2K says he doesn't even want to go to Evo, PPMD has been hiding in the mountains or something and HBox seems to be falling off in skill as well. Armada is the only god who seems to be rapidly improving and actually participating but he got destroyed by leffen in two different sets.

LUSCIOUS1

Smash fella
Leffen is mean! Maybe if he called me up to play Crash Bandicoot once in a while I could support his dumb victory.

Last edited:

Shaboobie

Smash Rookie
He have a curse, no matter if he helps your grandmother to cross the street he will continue to be don't likeable.
yes i would hate him more because then he wouldve graverobbed my grandmothers & took their corpses onto the street. not cool Leffen :(

StR!p

Smash Rookie
NNID
SlayerTwix
3DS FC
4871-3864-3022
Google translate ain't gonna help you learn. It's gonna make you say stuff like "don't likeable" which makes no grammatical sense in english, but probably does in spanish or wtv.
Actually, I heard that (Or at least that's what I think I heard) in a simpsons parody called: Lisa killed of The Simpsons, I don't know if google translator have that error, that's why I wrote ''Ok not really''. [And that don't have sense in spanish xD] {I use google translator to know the meaning of the words I don't know}

Top Bottom